View Full Version : UMass @ JMU

UMass922
October 30th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Big CAA game about to get underway.

UMass922
October 30th, 2010, 02:43 PM
JMU misses a golden opportunity for an INT in the end zone on a high deflection on 3rd down.

UMass comes away with a 33-yard FG to go up 3-0.

UMass922
October 30th, 2010, 02:58 PM
UMass fails on 4th and goal. Great drive comes up empty. Still 3-0.

JMad03
October 30th, 2010, 03:45 PM
JMU ended the half with 2 TD scoring drives- second 97 yards. 14-3

UMass922
October 30th, 2010, 04:45 PM
UMass finally gets in the end zone! Great punt return by Nelson to set it up. Two-point pass by Havens ties it at 14. Brand new ballgame!

UMass922
October 30th, 2010, 04:55 PM
TD UMass! Moved it down the field with ease after stuffing JMU on 4th down at midfield.

UMass922
October 30th, 2010, 05:18 PM
It's final: 21-14 comeback win for UMass! Really needed that one. Two huge plays by Anthony Nelson on the 4th down catch that set up the second field goal and the punt return that set up the game-tying TD.

UMass is now 5-3 with home games vs. Maine and Delaware coming up, and the season finale at Rhode Island. Really needed this one after disappointing efforts the last two weeks.

UNHFan
October 30th, 2010, 05:47 PM
Great win for a great team from a great program... Wow UMass showed great character winning this game. Wow CAA is showing how we all beat the hell out of each other when its conference time!

bkrownd
October 30th, 2010, 05:58 PM
Whew, yahoo didn't refresh the score for a long time and I was thinking the worst...

DrG
October 30th, 2010, 08:22 PM
Great win for a great team from a great program... Wow UMass showed great character winning this game. Wow CAA is showing how we all beat the hell out of each other when its conference time!
That's why we win championships. The announcers made note of that. They said the CAA is an unforgiving league but it pays off at playoff time.

Oldhen
October 30th, 2010, 08:59 PM
That's why we win championships.

Plural?

BlueHenSinfonian
October 30th, 2010, 09:03 PM
Plural?

In the context of his comment I think he meant the CAA, not just UMass. Over the past ten years the CAA has 40% of the NC titles, the SoCon 40%, and the Big Sky and MVC (or Gateway if you prefer, which is a better name that they should have kept) 10% each.

The CAA has also had a team in the NC title game 60% of the time in the same time period, compared to 50% each for the SoCon and Big Sky.

DrG
October 30th, 2010, 10:05 PM
Thank you for the clarification. Of course I was talking about the league.

Maroon&White
October 31st, 2010, 06:59 AM
Thought UD fans, given their love for JMU, might enjoy this tid-bit. JMU became the only away opponent for UMass this year that did not recognize George Parks. Michigan, Stony Brook, Towson, and UNH all did. Can also add in UConn doing something for him.

umassfan
October 31st, 2010, 07:51 AM
Thought UD fans, given their love for JMU, might enjoy this tid-bit. JMU became the only away opponent for UMass this year that did not recognize George Parks. Michigan, Stony Brook, Towson, and UNH all did. Can also add in UConn doing something for him.
Thats a shame with JMU having a quality and large band as well. UConn who hates everything to do with UMass has been great about it but JMU doing nothing.... just not cool!

JMUNJ08
October 31st, 2010, 11:50 AM

Thats a shame with JMU having a quality and large band as well. UConn who hates everything to do with UMass has been great about it but JMU doing nothing.... just not cool!

Please forgive me but I am not familiar with the story. I don't see JMU as rude or inconsiderate but maybe just unaware?

Maroon&White
October 31st, 2010, 07:58 PM
You being unaware I can understand. The JMU band being unaware, not a chance. Just type George N Parks in a search engine to find out about him. Or ask anyone in the marching band community. There is no reason for JMU not saying something about him.

soccerguy315
October 31st, 2010, 08:10 PM
Please forgive me but I am not familiar with the story. I don't see JMU as rude or inconsiderate but maybe just unaware?

I promise you the music department at JMU was not unaware. That said, I don't think it is JMU's obligation to do something for UMass because their band director died six weeks ago. UMass already had their big celebration for George Parks the other week. Obviously his teachings and influence will carry on for years, as many of the students he had at UMass and HS students around the country become music educators, but I don't think it should be expected that every football program acknowledges him. Just IMO, as someone who had the privilege to learn from Parks in 03.

Maroon&White
October 31st, 2010, 08:32 PM
I don't think it should be expected either. Not saying anything just adds to the lack of class people associate with JMU. It's simply not surprising that JMU would be the first school that wouldn't bother saying something.

jmufan999
October 31st, 2010, 10:41 PM
I don't think it should be expected either. Not saying anything just adds to the lack of class people associate with JMU. It's simply not surprising that JMU would be the first school that wouldn't bother saying something.

you've had TWO (2) home games to honor the guy... yet you think he should be honored AGAIN at a JMU game. by the way, i attended his academy in HS... very influential guy but has absolutely zero to do with JMU. pretty arrogant that you would even mention it. you know, the world actually doesn't revolve around you.

Maroon&White
October 31st, 2010, 11:16 PM
I did not say I think he SHOULD be honored at a JMU game. In fact I clearly stated that. I said it was not surprising JMU was the first school to not acknowledge him. I would be willing to bet Parks had more to do with JMU than you think. You could say Parks had "absolutely zero" to do with Michigan, Stony Brook, Towson and UNH, but they all decided to say something.

I was also just told the JMU marching band was refused by the athletic department to mention/acknoweldge Mr. Parks. That sure reeks of Mickey Matthews.

JMUNJ08
November 1st, 2010, 12:40 AM
I did not say I think he SHOULD be honored at a JMU game. In fact I clearly stated that. I said it was not surprising JMU was the first school to not acknowledge him. I would be willing to bet Parks had more to do with JMU than you think. You could say Parks had "absolutely zero" to do with Michigan, Stony Brook, Towson and UNH, but they all decided to say something.

I was also just told the JMU marching band was refused by the athletic department to mention/acknoweldge Mr. Parks. That sure reeks of Mickey Matthews.

Less MM, more our athletic department which has been shady since dropping all the programs for Title IX reasons in 2006/2007...xsmhxxsmhxxsmhx

dennisdent
November 1st, 2010, 11:18 AM
Please, just let this go.