PDA

View Full Version : Southern Opener against Nicholls State, game in SF off

bluedog
February 10th, 2006, 06:15 AM
SU football schedule gets big adjustments
(http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/southern/featured/2290951.html)
Opener against Nicholls State, game in SF off

By JOSEPH SCHIEFELBEIN
Advocate sportswriter
Published: Feb 10, 2006

Next season’s Southern University football schedule is already undergoing major adjustments little more than a month after being approved.

Southern and Virginia State will not play Sept. 23 in San Francisco in what was to have been called the Bay Area Classic, and the two schools are trying to stage a game in Baton Rouge instead.

Also, the season opener against Nicholls State on Sept. 2 in A.W. Mumford Stadium is scratched. The Colonels will play at Nebraska instead.

In place of Nicholls, Southern will play Bethune-Cookman College at Alltell Stadium on Sept. 2 in Jacksonville, Fla. SU and B-CC, located in Daytona Beach, Fla., completed their deal Thursday.

Both Southern and Virginia State had given the Bay Area Classic’s promoter until Monday as a deadline to provide initial monetary guarantees.

“One of their sponsors dropped out, and they couldn’t come up with the financial obligations they said they would do,” Southern Athletic Director Greg LaFleur said.

Southern played the Fruit Bowl in San Franciso in the 1948 season, one of the many glory years under coach A.W. Mumford.

TexasTerror
February 10th, 2006, 07:29 AM
Was looking forward to Nicholls vs Southern, but all the Louisiana schools need that $$$ right now. Figured this is what was going to happen. Not surprised at all...

Lehigh Football Nation
February 10th, 2006, 07:30 AM
SU vs. B-CC = big big bucks at the gate, IMO. Did B-CC ever play CU in an HBCU championship game?

bluedog
February 10th, 2006, 07:35 AM
SU vs. B-CC = big big bucks at the gate, IMO. Did B-CC ever play CU in an HBCU championship game?

If you meant SU.......

Southern vs Bethune-Cookman (FL) (http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/southwestern/southern/opponents_records.php?teamid=329)

Bison_Kent
February 10th, 2006, 11:49 AM
Nicholls State is playing Nebraska on Sept. 9th. I am not sure why the Sept. 2nd date was thrown out.

TexasTerror
February 10th, 2006, 11:56 AM
Nicholls State is playing Nebraska on Sept. 9th. I am not sure why the Sept. 2nd date was thrown out.

You heard much about the Colonels schedule, Kent? I haven't heard nearly a thing about it outside of them pulling out of the UCA game they had scheduled, adding Nebraska and pulling out of Southern...

Bison_Kent
February 10th, 2006, 12:24 PM
The Nebraska schedule was released with Nicholls going there on Sept. 9th and the Southern schedule previously had Nicholls playing them Sept. 2nd. I don't know why the two can't play.

Beyond that, the only other Nicholls' opponents are from other teams' schedules.

Piecing together those, this is what their schedule looks like so far:

Sept. 2 (was to be Southern)
Sept. 9 @ Nebraska
Sept. 16
Sept. 23 South Dakota State
Sept. 30
Oct. 7 Southeastern Louisiana
Oct. 14 @ Sam Houston State
Oct. 21 Northwestern State
Oct. 28
Nov. 4 @ Texas State
Nov. 11 Stephen F. Austin
Nov. 18 @ McNeese State

TexasTerror
February 10th, 2006, 04:34 PM
The Nebraska schedule was released with Nicholls going there on Sept. 9th and the Southern schedule previously had Nicholls playing them Sept. 2nd. I don't know why the two can't play.

I think ULM was still looking for a sub-Div I game. Perhaps the Indians and Colonels are in discussions...

SU Jag
February 10th, 2006, 04:57 PM
Southern vs BCC will be a HUGE game! :nod: You can expect 60,000 + for that one! :nod:

arranger101
February 11th, 2006, 07:44 AM
If the SU's "NATION" brings about 20,000 and the Wildcats will definitly be just as deep, then it should be a great turn out. Just the fact of "The Jukebox" vs. "The Pride" might draw an additional 5,000 band heads. I would say in all....45K at most; but still a good turn out.

I know that I'll be there!!!!!! :beerchug: xprost2x

February 11th, 2006, 04:10 PM

Beyond that, the only other Nicholls' opponents are from other teams' schedules.

Piecing together those, this is what their schedule looks like so far:

Sept. 2 (was to be Southern)
Sept. 9 @ Nebraska
Sept. 16
Sept. 23 South Dakota State
Sept. 30
Oct. 7 Southeastern Louisiana
Oct. 14 @ Sam Houston State
Oct. 21 Northwestern State
Oct. 28
Nov. 4 @ Texas State
Nov. 11 Stephen F. Austin
Nov. 18 @ McNeese StateA Nicholls board poster says the deal was never signed with SU and that NSU has a D-II scheduled for 8/31. Nothing official yet.

TexasTerror
February 11th, 2006, 04:56 PM
McNeese's board wasn't surprised this move. They felt that Southern would pull out and not give Nicholls their home game. I'm not too familiar with the situation with Southern and how things have worked out in the past with pulling out of games, etc...

February 11th, 2006, 05:00 PM
McNeese's board wasn't surprised this move. They felt that Southern would pull out and not give Nicholls their home game. I'm not too familiar with the situation with Southern and how things have worked out in the past with pulling out of games, etc...Not sure who pulled out of talks on the game but SU got a helluva game on 9/2 and Nicholls got a D-II that week.

bluedog
February 12th, 2006, 12:29 AM
McNeese's board wasn't surprised this move. They felt that Southern would pull out and not give Nicholls their home game. I'm not too familiar with the situation with Southern and how things have worked out in the past with pulling out of games, etc...

Oh so now it's nicholls game? Damn I didn't know that they were footing the bill and had moved their stadium to Baton Rouge. :rolleyes:

SU Jag
February 12th, 2006, 12:24 PM
If the SU's "NATION" brings about 20,000 and the Wildcats will definitly be just as deep, then it should be a great turn out. Just the fact of "The Jukebox" vs. "The Pride" might draw an additional 5,000 band heads. I would say in all....45K at most; but still a good turn out.

I know that I'll be there!!!!!! :beerchug: xprost2x

I'll be there too! :nod:

txstatebobcat
February 12th, 2006, 05:31 PM
Hopefully SU vs BCC will be on tv. It should be a fun game to watch.

Bear Fan 101
February 12th, 2006, 08:27 PM
do you Southern fans know anything about possibly scheduling UCA on October 28. This was in Conway's newpaper today: UCA Schedule Article (http://www.thecabin.net/stories/021206/spo_0212060033.shtml)

"UCA officials are currently in negotiation to possibly play Liberty University or Missouri-Rolla at home and/or Southern University on the road in Baton Rouge to fill out the schedule."

TexasTerror
February 12th, 2006, 08:32 PM
If Southern schedules UCA, they'd have two sub Div Is (for all intensive purposes) on their schedule. I think Bethune-Cookman is gonna happen. A big MEAC/SWAC matchup that will be put on TV and sell 40,000+ tickets...

February 12th, 2006, 09:31 PM
If Southern schedules UCA, they'd have two sub Div Is (for all intensive purposes) on their schedule. I think Bethune-Cookman is gonna happen. A big MEAC/SWAC matchup that will be put on TV and sell 40,000+ tickets...Now now, UCA is I-AA provisional this year. They are finishing their exploratory year and once the Fall comes there is no turning back. :) Their stats may go in D-II (which I think is silly because they will hopefully have more schollies than D-II allows) but they are busy trying to meet D-I standards as required by the NCAA.

SU Jag
February 13th, 2006, 10:05 AM
If Southern schedules UCA, they'd have two sub Div Is (for all intensive purposes) on their schedule. I think Bethune-Cookman is gonna happen. A big MEAC/SWAC matchup that will be put on TV and sell 40,000+ tickets...

You just dont S.T.F.U do you? xcoffeex

TexasTerror
February 13th, 2006, 10:58 AM
You just dont S.T.F.U do you? xcoffeex

I'm sorry. Has Southern talked to Southern Arkansas about a game as well? I know the schools have played before... :beerchug:

gram4life
February 13th, 2006, 11:40 AM
I'm sorry. Has Southern talked to Southern Arkansas about a game as well? I know the schools have played before... :beerchug:

You going to save the SWAC huh, TT.

3rd Coast Tiger
February 13th, 2006, 11:54 AM
You going to save the SWAC huh, TT.

If given the chance (and say....... 53 minutes) he will!

SU Jag
February 13th, 2006, 05:55 PM
I am so pumped for this game! :nod: Now this is how you start the season! Someone said that their would be only about 45,000 at this one, well I dont think they know the Jaguar Nation to well. There has been anticipation for the last few years about a SU/BCC match-up and now its going to happen! Just the match-up between "The Jukebox" and "The Pride" will add to this big event. The city of Jacksonville will do its part to promote this game as well as both of the conferences. I'm willing to bet the ESPN jumps on this one like they did the Bama State/SC State game last year! :nod: Man there will be much hype for this game, hell even the band members are already talking smack to each other on the 5thquarter! :nod: This game is a hell of a lot better than playing Virginia State or Nicholls State.