PDA

View Full Version : Colgate at Lehigh

ngineer
October 29th, 2010, 09:52 PM
Thought I'd start this thread apart from the PL Prognostications as I think there may be some 'commentary' about this annual 'slobberknocker' between these two long time rivals.

An interesting sidebar to the game will be the return of Fred Dunlap to Lehigh, where he began rebuilding the, then Engineers', shattered program in 1965. Fred was a star player for Colgate in the 1940's. Arriving at Lehigh, he took a program that had gone 5-21-1 the previous three years. With nothing in the cupboard, the long road back to respectability began and if patience is a virtue, both he and AD Leckonby had it in spades. Six more losing seasons followed from 1965-1970, although wins started coming more frequently in 1968, going 3-7, 4-5-1 and 4-6 through 1970. In 1971, the big breakthrough occured going 8-3, including a 35-14 trouncing of Rutgers. The rest is history with NCAA playoff appearances beginning in 1973.
After 1975, Dunlap's alma mater called, and he returned to Hamilton and took his Raiders to more glory. So many of Fred's former players, including me, will be returning to salute their old coach with pregame tailgate, halftime ceremony and post game reception. It's an excellent story of perseverence and class.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 29th, 2010, 10:58 PM
Thought I'd start this thread apart from the PL Prognostications as I think there may be some 'commentary' about this annual 'slobberknocker' between these two long time rivals.

An interesting sidebar to the game will be the return of Fred Dunlap to Lehigh, where he began rebuilding the, then Engineers', shattered program in 1965. Fred was a star player for Colgate in the 1940's. Arriving at Lehigh, he took a program that had gone 5-21-1 the previous three years. With nothing in the cupboard, the long road back to respectability began and if patience is a virtue, both he and AD Leckonby had it in spades. Six more losing seasons followed from 1965-1970, although wins started coming more frequently in 1968, going 3-7, 4-5-1 and 4-6 through 1970. In 1971, the big breakthrough occured going 8-3, including a 35-14 trouncing of Rutgers. The rest is history with NCAA playoff appearances beginning in 1973.
After 1975, Dunlap's alma mater called, and he returned to Hamilton and took his Raiders to more glory. So many of Fred's former players, including me, will be returning to salute their old coach with pregame tailgate, halftime ceremoney and post game reception. It's an excellent story of perseverence and class.

Great story! An extremely interesting subplot to what has become a fascinating game on a lot of levels.

'Gate93
October 30th, 2010, 09:42 AM
Thx 4 the story, Ngineer. Dunlap has become quite the legacy in PL football. Nice to know that despite some losing records, fans and players still regard him so highly. Daunting task to turn an underperforming team into a winner. At Colgate, we have Andy Kerr and Dick Biddle who have done just that. Good luck to both squads today.

RichH2
October 30th, 2010, 04:41 PM
Great game and nice to see all you young fellas back for Fred. He did a remarkable job rebuilding a woebegone LU program. Hated to see him leave but who could argue he was going home.

Go...gate
October 30th, 2010, 10:08 PM
Great game and nice to see all you young fellas back for Fred. He did a remarkable job rebuilding a woebegone LU program. Hated to see him leave but who could argue he was going home.

He did the same thing for us. We had been up and down after Hal Lahar left in 1967 and the ultimate slap in the face was Lahar's former assistant-turned-head coach, Neil Wheelright, saying in 1975 that the best Colgate could ever hope for were .500 seasons. Dunlap put the pride back in the Colgate program beginning in 1976.

Ivytalk
October 31st, 2010, 02:40 PM
Congrats to Lehigh for a very impressive win!

ngineer
October 31st, 2010, 04:42 PM
Thanks. I think the second half of the Lehigh/Harvard game may be looked upon as the 'new beginning' for our offense. Time will tell.