PDA

View Full Version : Finances Force NWST to drop UTSA, Add SMU in '11

TexasTerror
October 28th, 2010, 07:12 PM
Trip to SMU for the Demons... financially-driven decision for NWST... won't be the first nor the last financially-driven situation for a La. school (SLC or SWAC)...

Believe SLU's schedule won't be that 'pretty' either... good thing for eight SLC games, at least for next year, or it would really be sloppy...

The opportunity for the Mustang-Demon game arose after SMU and Baylor agreed to drop their 2011 game due to the new nine-game Big XII Conference schedule, said SMU spokesman Brad Sutton. Adding the game at SMU forced Northwestern to drop a first-ever football matchup with Texas-San Antonio slated for Oct. 22 in Turpin Stadium.

"Changing the 2011 football schedule was not in the forefront of my mind but this enticing opportunity presented itself and for many reasons, it made sense to change course," said Burke. "We have a big base of alumni in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex. It's an easy trip for our team and fans to make from north Louisiana and east Texas. It's an appealing matchup with a tradition-rich program.

"There's no doubt that this also is a financially-driven decision, as we are constantly planning for what will certainly be a challenging 2011-12 fiscal year for higher education in Louisiana," he said. "Coach Peveto fully understood those ramifications and how important the revenue from this game will be for our athletics budget next year, and I want to thank him and his team for stepping up and bearing a bigger burden to help the cause."

http://www.nsudemons.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=20000&ATCLID=205019856

jhanel
October 28th, 2010, 10:18 PM
All money games are financially-driven, and as I have said before its better to be pro-active than re-active.

jhanel
October 29th, 2010, 06:30 AM
Hope you are coming to the game

TexasTerror
October 29th, 2010, 06:38 AM
All money games are financially-driven, and as I have said before its better to be pro-active than re-active.

I thought you guys said the financial situation facing La. schools were not impacting you as much?

You guys have two FBS games on the schedule and have essentially begun the process of scheduling yourselves out of the playoffs due to your financial limitations. Yes, money games are financially-driven, but we're beginning to see all La. schools in the SLC schedule two money games and for the first time, we saw a school in the SLC schedule three - see Nicholls.

Is the financial situation of the La. schools now impacting the SLC's ability to compete on the national level in FCS? You make the decision...

jhanel
October 29th, 2010, 06:58 AM
So, the answers is no your are not coming to the game. HA! Figures. Like I said, we are being pro active. What don't you get negetive nancy? We may be playing for money, but we are 100% commited to winning those games. FCS schools all over the country do this every year. Some may even wish they could get two FBS schools on their schedule, in their recruiting hot beads, and get paid alot to do it. Thats a no brainer for me. But I guess I am looking at it the wrong way. You know...positive. This is a good thing.

I guess you have adjusted the moto of news people today, "good news is bad news", by turning good news into bad news for ones self gratification.

TexasTerror
October 29th, 2010, 07:51 AM
So, the answers is no your are not coming to the game. HA! Figures. Like I said, we are being pro active. What don't you get negetive nancy? We may be playing for money, but we are 100% commited to winning those games. FCS schools all over the country do this every year. Some may even wish they could get two FBS schools on their schedule, in their recruiting hot beads, and get paid alot to do it. Thats a no brainer for me. But I guess I am looking at it the wrong way. You know...positive. This is a good thing.

I guess you have adjusted the moto of news people today, "good news is bad news", by turning good news into bad news for ones self gratification.

I want TWO teams in the playoffs from the SLC at the very least annually. Playing eight conference games will help that.

However, when so many of our schools are playing two money games, it surely puts the league in a very difficult situation to obtain that. Yes, you guys want to win and the SLC would love nothing more than beating on FBS schools, but the percentages are not in favor of FCS schools.

Playing two money games or in the case of Nicholls - THREE (this past year) - you are jeopardizing the conference's ability to improve and gain more attention nationally. Though I can understand - you guys are doing it for 'survival', but what do you think the Texas schools are thinking when they see what the La. schools are doing, just to remain Div I?

mikebigg
October 29th, 2010, 08:13 AM
Go Luck Northwestern...do what's best for your program!

jhanel
October 29th, 2010, 09:21 AM
I want TWO teams in the playoffs from the SLC at the very least annually. Playing eight conference games will help that.

However, when so many of our schools are playing two money games, 1.it surely puts the league in a very difficult situation to obtain that. 2.Yes, you guys want to win and the SLC would love nothing more than beating on FBS schools, but the percentages are not in favor of FCS schools.

Playing two money games or in the case of Nicholls - THREE (this past year) - 3. you are jeopardizing the conference's ability to improve and gain more attention nationally. Though I can understand - 4. you guys are doing it for 'survival', but 5. what do you think the Texas schools are thinking when they see what the La. schools are doing, just to remain Div I?6. ?

1. Does it? Thats a matter of opinion. Negative for you Positive for me.

2. NSU record vs FBS since 1990 - (7-22), SHSU record vs FBS since 1990 - (2-21). Your percentage vs FBS schools hurts more than ours.

3. Does it? Thats a matter of opinion. Negative for you Positive for me.

4. So survival for us means more money, more media ( oh my gosh what if we win one or both :0), and we go to our main recruiting grounds so our players friends and family can see them play, they recruit, we hit our major alumni areas. WOW! THAT SOUNDS AWSOME!

5. Hey Texas has and always will think that it is better than every state. I know, Im from Texas. NSU is doing great, but that would never come out of your mouth, because the only thing you ever have to say about Louisiana is negative. Since you live in Louisiana we thank you for your money and taxes you give us every year. NSU thanks you for your support.

6. Looking forward to seeing you at the game :)

TexasTerror
October 29th, 2010, 09:45 AM
JHanel, this is the FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP SUBDIVISION. We play for the playoffs at this level and getting an at-large bid, if not an automatic quailifier spot is the priority of every team in the Southland Conference. Apparently, winning the recruiting battles are important, but as Lamar has learned in hoops and you guys have in football (until proven otherwise), that recruiting rankings do not necesarily equate to on the field success.

1. Does it? Thats a matter of opinion. Negative for you Positive for me.

Yes - it does put the league in a difficult situation. You need to win seven Div I games. Playing FBS games and a sub-Div I game does make it difficult. Do you recall how early some of the SLC teams were 'eliminated' this year from contention for an at-large?

2. NSU record vs FBS since 1990 - (7-22), SHSU record vs FBS since 1990 - (2-21). Your percentage vs FBS schools hurts more than ours.

Is that accurate? Let's also keep in mind that SHSU played an all-Div I schedule this year and will do so this year. Who is really hurting the league more? And what is your record vs FBS since 2000? I do not think your information is accurate since I believe we beat one of the UL-? schools twice and the other one.

3. Does it? Thats a matter of opinion. Negative for you Positive for me.

If you do not win the FBS games, yes. If you are further crippling our ability to get more teams in the playoffs, yes - it does hurt our ability.

4. So survival for us means more money, more media ( oh my gosh what if we win one or both :0), and we go to our main recruiting grounds so our players friends and family can see them play, they recruit, we hit our major alumni areas. WOW! THAT SOUNDS AWSOME!

Survival means filling your coffers. NWST won that 'Triple Crown' a few years ago, but your teams have not been as competitive across the board in a few years. Same goes for the other La. schools. The money is tipping the wrong direction in Louisiana and while playing FBS games does bolster a few things (as documented well - everywhere), it does render your team useless to the at-large consideration.

5. Hey Texas has and always will think that it is better than every state. I know, Im from Texas. NSU is doing great, but that would never come out of your mouth, because the only thing you ever have to say about Louisiana is negative. Since you live in Louisiana we thank you for your money and taxes you give us every year. NSU thanks you for your support.

Guessing you have not been reading the newspapers as of late regarding the state of affairs in this state. Of course, you do think NWST is 'safe' from all these cuts. Guess the faculty, staff laid off and the departments cut agree with you, eh?

jhanel
October 29th, 2010, 10:35 AM
You can call me Jeff.

Yes - it does put the league in a difficult situation. You need to win seven Div I games. Playing FBS games and a sub-Div I game does make it difficult. Do you recall how early some of the SLC teams were 'eliminated' this year from contention for an at-large?

Im glad that you care. I really am. Just for point of fact. Who would you rather play UTSA at home (where I will admit we have not been coming close to packing the house) and saving very little money, and who gave the middle finger to the SLC, and we do not recruit in their area or play SMU by giving the middle finger back to UTSA, get a lot of money, play a winnable game and bring publicity to the University and Conference, if we keep it close, and heaven forbids we win. Plus, a lot of players on our team are from the area. Family and friends would get to see them play. Plus, the 2012 schedule is not out yet, or do you have a source that says we are playing two or maybe three money games, to save our University.

Is that accurate? Let's also keep in mind that SHSU played an all-Div I schedule this year and will do so this year. Who is really hurting the league more? And what is your record vs FBS since 2000? I do not think your information is accurate since I believe we beat one of the UL-? schools twice and the other one.

Yes its accurate. Straight from YOUR media guide. You have only ever won 2 FBS games 1 vs UL-L and 1 vs UL-M so your are (2-12) from 2000-2010. NSU's record from 2000-2010 vs FBS is (4-15) 2 vs UL-M, 1 vs UL-L, and this is a cool one 1 vs TCU.
You love to make your self, or your school, look good by pointing out what you are doing this year and next year. You may not have a DII school schedule this year or next year, but what about every year before that. What is your record all time vs DII schools, what is that record in the 2000's? You must be so proud.

Survival means filling your coffers. NWST won that 'Triple Crown' a few years ago, but your teams have not been as competitive across the board in a few years. Same goes for the other La. schools. The money is tipping the wrong direction in Louisiana and while playing FBS games does bolster a few things (as documented well - everywhere), it does render your team useless to the at-large consideration.

We are in the business of making money, correct? We do not have our eyes set on at-large bids we have our eyes set on winning championships. We have fallen off the past few years, but we will be back. Thanks to the money you spend and the taxes you pay in Louisiana.

Guessing you have not been reading the newspapers as of late regarding the state of affairs in this state. Of course, you do think NWST is 'safe' from all these cuts. Guess the faculty, staff laid off and the departments cut agree with you, eh?

According to you and for those who focus on the problems and not solutions the state is about to implode, so you better get out while you can and quick, because if you read the papers. No jobs are safe. I do feel for those that got laid off and departments that where cut. I never said that times in Louisiana are not tough, but we are being pro-active and making it work with what we have been dealt, and doing a dang good job of it. But, know one wants to hear that. Everyone else hears the useless dribble of doom and gloom from the media. There is no money, viewership, or readership in good news. Its only in bad news. Pretty sad.

Once again Look forward to seeing you at the game, or do you not want to support your team?

TexasTerror
October 29th, 2010, 10:49 AM
Im glad that you care. I really am. Just for point of fact. Who would you rather play UTSA at home (where I will admit we have not been coming close to packing the house) and saving very little money, and who gave the middle finger to the SLC, and we do not recruit in their area or play SMU by giving the middle finger back to UTSA, get a lot of money, play a winnable game and bring publicity to the University and Conference, if we keep it close, and heaven forbids we win. Plus, a lot of players on our team are from the area. Family and friends would get to see them play. Plus, the 2012 schedule is not out yet, or do you have a source that says we are playing two or maybe three money games, to save our University.

How much are you having to pay UTSA to get out of that game? I'd presume that you are having to break a contract. Wonder if the SMU net gain is really substantial.

I'm pretty sure NWST is going to play two money games in the foreseeable future. You did in 2009 (Houston, Baylor), will do so in 2011 (LSU, SMU) and with the financial situation - have a hard time believing you won't continue to do so, especially when the SLC returns to seven-game slate.

Yes its accurate. Straight from YOUR media guide. You have only ever won 2 FBS games 1 vs UL-L and 1 vs UL-M so your are (2-12) from 2000-2010. NSU's record from 2000-2010 vs FBS is (4-15) 2 vs UL-M, 1 vs UL-L, and this is a cool one 1 vs TCU.

Good call - just could not remember.

You love to make your self, or your school, look good by pointing out what you are doing this year and next year. You may not have a DII school schedule this year or next year, but what about every year before that. What is your record all time vs DII schools, what is that record in the 2000's? You must be so proud.

SHSU's AD has come out and said we will not schedule down and that's what we have done. In 2010, we have no sub-Div I teams. Same with 2011. Would have been the case in 2009, but we got screwed by Prairie View A&M, who bailed on us in April without informing us.

Our AD, with the expansion of the playoffs, sees no benefit in not playing a full Div I schedule. We're progressing in that light. What has your AD said about this?

We are in the business of making money, correct? We do not have our eyes set on at-large bids we have our eyes set on winning championships. We have fallen off the past few years, but we will be back. Thanks to the money you spend and the taxes you pay in Louisiana.

Well, winning a championship is your only way into the playoffs - since your school is putting all of its marbles in gaining the AQ, based on your schedule and same goes for the other schools who are scheduling two or three guarantee games.

According to you and for those who focus on the problems and not solutions the state is about to implode, so you better get out while you can and quick, because if you read the papers. No jobs are safe. I do feel for those that got laid off and departments that where cut. I never said that times in Louisiana are not tough, but we are being pro-active and making it work with what we have been dealt, and doing a dang good job of it. But, know one wants to hear that. Everyone else hears the useless dribble of doom and gloom from the media. There is no money, viewership, or readership in good news. Its only in bad news. Pretty sad.

When the problems persist, what can you expect? Solutions have been drawn out and flat out ignored. The only true solution at this point is to get a new Governor and toss many of the legislators who have gone deaf on the concern of higher education.

Once again Look forward to seeing you at the game, or do you not want to support your team?

I follow my team as much as I can - unfortunately, conflicts exist when you are in an industry that runs parallel to the season(s).

jhanel
October 29th, 2010, 11:29 AM
Since you speak in hypotheticals, what if we are scheduling FBS for different reasons? Maybe its preparation? If a transition were to happen, would it be seamless with womens and mens sports? LOL!

edit: or even a name change like, UNL? LOL!

This weeks homecoming game is THE most important game for NSU, because its the next one! LETS GET IT!!!

Jeff Hanel

RabidRabbit
October 29th, 2010, 11:58 AM
A NOLA Rabbit's thoughts

- Support for public education seems to be very low in this state.
- The impact of the ban on oil drilling due to the BP spill will really hit next year.

- Congrats to NW St. for getting a good non-BCS FBS opponent. THis could be one of the 6-8% FCS>FBS games next season. In some regards, I'd like to see SDSU get a MAC/WAC/Sunbelt/C-USA FBS game rather than the Big 10/12 games we've been getting for the FBS game.

- Scheduling 2 FBS games for the OOC does significantly hurt the opportunity to reach 7 D-I wins. Especially if the school then turns around and buys a non-counter opponent (UTSA? in their first year) as a home game.

- Getting some OOC FCS wins is important to making the play-offs. PV A&M may find themselves locked out of an at-large because of no OOC counting wins. Jacksonville U. this is your issue.

- Conferences that play nobody but themselves can't be measured on where the conference fits into the hierarchy. The Patriot/Ivy symbiotic relationship leave most of the rest of the pollsters baffled on where those teams fit. Always good to see some CAA and NEC teams play those two leagues. I'm sure the Harvard on the Prairie xrolleyesx would be thrilled to get a game with the real thang. And congrats on Lafayette/NDSU working out some games.

- I'm with TT that the Southland's goal should be the AQ + 1 At-large EVERY YEAR. They certainly have the teams, traditions, and the heart of FOOTBALL COUNTRY location that they should succeed in getting at least two teams in each year. Scheduling 2 FBS + 1 non-DI will schedule those teams right out of the at-large race 92% of the time.

TexasTerror
October 29th, 2010, 12:20 PM
- I'm with TT that the Southland's goal should be the AQ + 1 At-large EVERY YEAR. They certainly have the teams, traditions, and the heart of FOOTBALL COUNTRY location that they should succeed in getting at least two teams in each year. Scheduling 2 FBS + 1 non-DI will schedule those teams right out of the at-large race 92% of the time.

Agreed... and you are also providing your fan base with no decent home games until conference season, which is never a good thing. Jeff was complaining about attendance, but if you have Henderson State in September and then don't play a SLC game until October - what good does that do you?

jhanel
October 29th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Agreed... and you are also providing your fan base with no decent home games until conference season, which is never a good thing. Jeff was complaining about attendance, but if you have Henderson State in September and then don't play a SLC game until October - what good does that do you?

I do agree with your first part, unless you are winning, it does not matter. Second bit, *shaking my head*, you love to twist the facts to your advantage, TT. I never complained about attendance, I pointed out an observation of fact. You little sneaker you. LOL!

I love how you started the thread about the the money strapped Louisiana Universities (or just little ole NSU, and now its turned into a, looking out for the SLC, and AQ +1. Your name should actually be Texas Twister. LOL!

Looking forward to a GREAT game! LETS GET IT!!!

GeauxLions94
October 29th, 2010, 01:08 PM
Trip to SMU for the Demons... financially-driven decision for NWST... won't be the first nor the last financially-driven situation for a La. school (SLC or SWAC)...

Believe SLU's schedule won't be that 'pretty' either... good thing for eight SLC games, at least for next year, or it would really be sloppy...

http://www.nsudemons.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=20000&ATCLID=205019856

For gosh sakes, it's SMU! It's not Alabama ... we nearly beat FBS schools "in name only" Tulane and Louisiana-Monroe this year and have played well in $$$ games against Louisiana Tech, New Mexico State and Mississippi State (we'll throw out Texas Tech and Kansas when they finished No. 2 and won the Orange Bowl).

Nice job Demons! You put a little more coin in your pocket, it's a little closer for your alums in the Shreveport area to make the drive over and you still have a chance (albiet lesser than facing UTSA) of getting an FBS win.

jhanel
October 29th, 2010, 01:33 PM
Hear, Hear

TexasTerror
November 3rd, 2010, 07:28 PM
Info on UTSA's buyout from NWST...

Cobb confirmed that Northwestern State has dropped UTSA from their 2011 schedule to pick up a game -- or more importantly, a six-figure guarantee -- with SMU. Cobb said NWS will pay UTSA a $35,000 penalty as stipulated in their contract. He is looking for a "suitable" replacement, but said the Roadrunners might play only 10 games in 2011 if one isn't found.

http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/utsa/2010/11/morning-update-10-2-montana-tr.html

McNeese72
November 3rd, 2010, 07:47 PM
Info on UTSA's buyout from NWST...

http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/utsa/2010/11/morning-update-10-2-montana-tr.html

So what??? Schedule changes are part of college football scheduling. McNeese has bought out contracts and changed schedules to play guarantee games before and it was way before the present budget crunch.

I guess you won't be happy unless every FCS school in Louisiana has the same budget problems that UNO has?? Is that what you are hoping for?

Doc

TexasTerror
November 3rd, 2010, 09:03 PM
So what??? Schedule changes are part of college football scheduling.

Never said it wasn't - just was sharing what the buyout was. More of an educational thing than anything - especially since UTSA may just have 10 games, which was definitely of note.

I guess you won't be happy unless every FCS school in Louisiana has the same budget problems that UNO has?? Is that what you are hoping for?

Who is to say they do not already and that the other schools are putting the burden on other areas before touching athletics?

I do not like budget cuts in the least bit, especially when it cuts short education in the state.

I just believe that the budget problems in Louisiana have been understated as it relates to the impact on athletics. The schools in Louisiana already compete with one hand tied behind their back and the gap continues to grow, even as Texas schools do feel some budgetary pinch.

Even the Big Sky Commissioner said FBS is not sustainable for everyone - I definitely think of ULM in this regard. They sacrificed the competitiveness of their entire athletic department to remain FBS. I'm sure you can agree - does not take rocket science.

Then as a SHSU fan, I'm not too thrilled with the increased amount of guarantee games in football by the La. schools. Was hoping we were through with that now that Katrina/Rita was even further in the rear view mirror and here we are again.

It does not help the perception of the league nor help the league in getting multiple playoff berths. I want to see SHSU in the playoffs and competing for a national championship. When teams in the SLC are playing two or three guarantee games, it does not help my alma mater in its quest to do that. It'll be very easy to pick a 7-4 team from almost any other league over one from the SLC if that's the case, considering more times than not, the FCS team will be on the wrong side of the result to an FBS.

I love FCS a lot more than FBS - but the situation that presents itself could very well force SHSU to make the move to FBS. That'll make me sick, especially since we'd be giving up a chance to compete for any championship in football. I guess we do have bowling going for us... that of the ten-pin variety...

jhanel
November 4th, 2010, 06:50 AM
since UTSA may just have 10 games, which was definitely of note.

HA! HA! All mighty FBS wannabe's can't find another game. Boo hoo! LOL! I'll take that $35,000 buy out any day to play SMU.

Who is to say they do not already and that the other schools are putting the burden on other areas before touching athletics?

Explanation: This means, you do not know, you are just saying. Everything you say is opinion, and your facts are twisted to say the message you want to say.....Thats why you are to be forever known as the Texas Twister. HA!

I want to see SHSU in the playoffs and competing for a national championship. When teams in the SLC are playing two or three guarantee games, it does not help my alma mater in its quest to do that. It'll be very easy to pick a 7-4 team from almost any other league over one from the SLC if that's the case, considering more times than not, the FCS team will be on the wrong side of the result to an FBS.

Who doesn't want to see their team in the national championship, but don't put shsu up on some pedestal, like you are the model of how things should be done. LOL! For the first time, your school, has gone to an all DI schedule. Congratulations! Keep it up and you will have something to talk about. At least shsu is not hurting our conference by loosing to DII schools anymore. LOL! How many times have you lost games to DII schools?

I love FCS a lot more than FBS - but the situation that presents itself could very well force SHSU to make the move to FBS.

Very well............Bye!

You know its, "pretty much" (LOL!), a given that shsu, sfa, and lamar are going to go FBS. Its just a matter of time. With all of the Louisiana schools crumbling and giving the SLC a band name, why would a Texas school put up with that? Why should they have to? Its Texas! Who's to say they don't all move, at the same time, get a few more schools together and form a new FBS conference. Who, in 5 years or so, will start winning National Championships! Who's to say?

Jeff Hanel

TexasTerror
November 4th, 2010, 07:27 AM
HA! HA! All mighty FBS wannabe's can't find another game. Boo hoo! LOL! I'll take that $35,000 buy out any day to play SMU.

There's plenty of time to find another game. As SHSU proved in Apr 2009 when Prairie View bailed on us and we somehow lucked into a game against a Div II squad from Indiana... they were probably just putting that out there. It's not like the NCAA minimums are close with 10 games.

Explanation: This means, you do not know, you are just saying. Everything you say is opinion, and your facts are twisted to say the message you want to say.....Thats why you are to be forever known as the Texas Twister. HA!

There's a lot that I do know and I am not going to say. It's not like I just fell down in Louisiana and am strictly reading the fishwraps for all my information.

Who doesn't want to see their team in the national championship, but don't put shsu up on some pedestal, like you are the model of how things should be done. LOL! For the first time, your school, has gone to an all DI schedule. Congratulations! Keep it up and you will have something to talk about. At least shsu is not hurting our conference by loosing to DII schools anymore. LOL! How many times have you lost games to DII schools?

SHSU intended to go to an all Div I schedule in 2009 before Prairie View bailed us on us in April '09. SHSU's AD is adamant about remaining with a full Div I schedule, which we had this year and will have next year. Yes, SHSU lost to a Div II schools in the early '00s, but so have quite a few of the SLC schools - TXST included (2007, Abilene Christian).

I love how you bring up the Div II factor - but the real issue is scheduling two or THREE guarantee games. Div II games are critical for schools who can not get into home-and-home arrangements due to the inability to schedule home-and-home deals in concern that their whole OOC schedule in a given year will be completely on the road (due to the guarantee games - see Nicholls '10 in scheduling Bacone alongside three guarantee games).

Very well............Bye!

You know its, "pretty much" (LOL!), a given that shsu, sfa, and lamar are going to go FBS. Its just a matter of time. With all of the Louisiana schools crumbling and giving the SLC a band name, why would a Texas school put up with that? Why should they have to? Its Texas! Who's to say they don't all move, at the same time, get a few more schools together and form a new FBS conference. Who, in 5 years or so, will start winning National Championships! Who's to say?

I'm not certain SHSU, SFA and Lamar are going to make the move up. Time will tell what the situation dictates and we may get an answer on that sooner than later. And jhanel, your hypothesis regarding an FBS conference would be tough to come by based on the statute of rules in place at the FBS level.

jhanel
November 4th, 2010, 09:15 AM
There's plenty of time to find another game. As SHSU proved in Apr 2009 when Prairie View bailed on us and we somehow lucked into a game against a Div II squad from Indiana... they were probably just putting that out there. It's not like the NCAA minimums are close with 10 games.

Is everything about you and your school? Since when did shsu become the model? It makes me happy to shaft utsa. HA! Let them squirm LOL! They did it to themselves. They earned the love. LOL!

There's a lot that I do know and I am not going to say. It's not like I just fell down in Louisiana and am strictly reading the fishwraps for all my information.

There's a lot that I do know and I may or may not say. That all depends on the twisted truth that sometimes gets spewed from you. It's not like I just fell down in Louisiana and am strictly reading the fishwraps for all of my information. LOL! You bathe in all of the doom and gloom scenarios, I know all of the uplifting and bright scenarios. LOL!

I love how you bring up the Div II factor - but the real issue is scheduling two or THREE guarantee games. Div II games are critical for schools who can not get into home-and-home arrangements due to the inability to schedule home-and-home deals in concern that their whole OOC schedule in a given year will be completely on the road (due to the guarantee games - see Nicholls '10 in scheduling Bacone alongside three guarantee games).

I learned it from you. You will change anything to self glorify you and your school. So what if we have TWO (not three) guarantee games on our schedule? It's tuff in Louisiana, we know it, nobody has ever said differently. We are being......wait on it........wait on it........pro-active. LOL! What if we go to three (your going to run with that one(LOL!)? Who cares? We are doing what needs to be done. Maybe we have higher expectations than just FCS. Maybe we are getting ready for an FBS move. Have you looked at what it takes to qualify NSU and make them ready to make a smooth transition. Are women's and mens sports in order? Would we have to add any? What about our male/female ratio? Would it make sense? HA!

If we are such a thorn for getting some money, and bringing this conference down, we must be highly regarded as one of the top 3 schools in football year in an year out. Thank you for the compliment! Because if we are not then why worry about what we are doing, it does not effect the 3 Texas schools as being the most dominant teams in the SLC. You all three, are going to play all DI schedules year in and year out, and go the the playoffs. We are just pawns in your game. McNeese is just a fourth one. When they schedule only DI's. Because they have proved nothing, you know being a Louisiana school? They just get lucky. LOL! (this is about Northwestern State University? NSU? Or are you just too upset about your losses to Div II schools. How many times again?)

And jhanel, your hypothesis regarding an FBS conference would be tough to come by based on the statute of rules in place at the FBS level.

SMH..........so you took that as a real hypothesis. SMH......

dirty bird
November 4th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Is everything about you and your school? Since when did shsu become the model? It makes me happy to shaft utsa. HA! Let them squirm LOL! They did it to themselves. They earned the love. LOL!

You're delusional if you think (a) UTSA is squirming (b) cannot line someone up or (c) even cares that your directional school is not coming to the Alamodome. Trust me when I say this: hardly anyone in San Antonio know's where Northwestern State comes from, so I doubt we will miss the game.

jhanel
November 4th, 2010, 10:09 AM
The feeling is mutual,

especially since UTSA may just have 10 games

(a)Its funny the article and, the all mighty, Texas Twister said you MAY only play 10 games. (b) Why are you on an FCS board? Is that not below you FBS types? (c) Who even cars about your school? Glad you are gone. One of my good friends graduated from UTSA and talks bad about that place......and Trust me when I say this: hardly anyone knows anything about utsa. If you don't know where we come from, why don't you go ask the fans at Iowa. Im sure they may shed some light on the subject for you. LOL!

jhanel
November 4th, 2010, 10:25 AM
You know what dirty bird. I need to apologize. I should not say such things about your school. I mean that. Texas Twister has me stooping to his level. For that, again I apologize. Good luck in your future endeavors as an FBS.

Jeff Hanel

dirty bird
November 4th, 2010, 10:27 AM
Well Jeff...I will say this. I don't like to sling the mud, but I will accept your apology, and apologize in kind if I offended right back.

jhanel
November 4th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Hear, Hear

TexasTerror
November 4th, 2010, 11:46 AM

You continue to bring SHSU in the equation - so that's what gets brought up and examples used. And how did UTSA do it to themselves?

Or are you just too upset about your losses to Div II schools. How many times again?)

Just one in the last 10 years... again, why do you keep bringing this up? Most of your information and assumptions are bad.

Most - if not all - of mine are coming direct from the horse's mouth, whether it be Jindal or big wigs in the state as it relates to higher education.

Football can help cover some of the bills,but we all know how heavily schools in this state rely on state/direct institutional support - to fund their programs. The money that all the guarantees bring in do not cover that amount. It's facts. One that can be taken to the bank time and time again.

I am not going to stoop to the level of personal attacks that you are willing to do - but let's be honest. The state of Louisiana is hurting financially and while the worst case scenario of shutting schools down won't happen, most of our schools have been pro-active in preparing for the cuts, yet continued to be slashed and slashed again.

jhanel
November 4th, 2010, 12:53 PM
Never have I personally attacked you or had a willingness to. Just stating facts as you do.

You continue to bring SHSU in the equation - so that's what gets brought up and examples used. And how did UTSA do it to themselves?

You brought NSU into the equation, with your biased opinion, by starting this thread. You continue to say things like, "In 2010, we have no sub-Div I teams. Same with 2011. Would have been the case in 2009, but we got screwed by Prairie View A&M, who bailed on us in April without informing us." So you are the model to follow, because you will never schedule down. Why make that comment if you don't want a response? Making this thread and speaking of doom and gloom of the whole Louisiana University System is a personal attack. You state things like they are fact, and that you have the FULL (key word) and complete answer. You do not. You speak of possibilities and a future you can not see. UTSA has bashed the SLC since talks of starting football started. What do you think the SLC and other schools should think about that?

Just one in the last 10 years... again, why do you keep bringing this up? Most of your information and assumptions are bad.

Once again I bring it up because you say we are wrong for taking money games against quality opponents, and we make the SLC look bad. You lost to a DII, payed them and you don't make us look bad. Again, you attack and wish for no response.

Where has any of my information been pure assumptions? Most of your information and assumptions are bad. They are an opinion and radical stretch of the truth. Yes things have been said of worst case scenarios, and if Universities in Louisiana are not .......wait on it.......wait on it.......pro-active. They will fail. Little bitty, eye of your life, NSU has been ahead of the curve, ON PURPOSE, so this WILL NOT HAPPEN.

Most - if not all - of mine are coming direct from the horse's mouth, whether it be Jindal or big wigs in the state as it relates to higher education.

Exactly. Because they give you a worst case scenario, say if certain things don't happen, this is what could happen. Thats on one side. I agree with them. It looks bad for those who do not heed the warnings and take action. You take that and run with only the doom and gloom of it all. Just because it happened to your employer, does not mean that it will happen to all of the other schools in Louisiana. Your employer, did what they had to do to stay a head of the curve, and should be commended for it. What have the big wigs said about the best case scenario? Tell me word for word.

NSU is not in the same situation. For one, if we were about to fail, why would we be adding new buildings to campus, that the state gave us funding for. Why do we have this thing, in North Louisiana called the Haynesville shale? I think we got a few dollars from that. Why have we been pro active and a head of the curve to make sure this does not happen. I know tones more of internal information, but that is pointless to put on this board.

You want to bake a cake, (a self proclaimed best cake in America), and make people eat it. Im not eating it. I think its the worst cake I have ever tasted. It was not made with love and caring. It was made with bitterness and hate.

You make statements, and expect no response but a pat on the back. LOL!

but let's be honest. The state of Louisiana is hurting financially and while the worst case scenario of shutting schools down won't happen, most of our schools have been pro-active in preparing for the cuts, yet continued to be slashed and slashed again.

Why have you never said this before, ..........."... while the worst case scenario of shutting schools down won't happen" So you are saying, you have heard it from the mouth of the big wigs that the worst case scenario will not happen. Whew..... that makes all the Louisiana Universities feel better.

One last thing, again, when you say MOST of my information and assumptions are bad. False. Its just that you don't agree and/or you can not find it written down anywhere. Please, if you feel I have been misleading and told a lie point it out. I would really like to know? I mean you have never mislead anybody before have you? and if you did, would you not want to know about it. Let me know. I mean that.

On a different note. Beat McNeese!

Line Judge
November 4th, 2010, 01:21 PM
Okay, okay...settle down...This is getting close to getting moved to Smack. Let's try not to make it personal.

As an aside, when I read the title to the thread, I draw a specific conclusion based on the way the thread title's written. But, the practical reality is that I don't know of a single FCS school who wouldn't jump at the chance to take down a storied FBS school like SMU, complete with Heisman Trophy winning alums.

My personal opinion is that the juxtaposition of the thread title written the way it was, contrasted with the facts, makes it look like there's some potential flame baiting going on, which is - as I'm sure most of you realize - against the Terms of Service and can get ya flagged.

I hate throwing flags and moving threads to smack, so do me a favor and keep my workload reduced by toning down the rhetoric. In the future, let's be a little less incendiary with our thread titles, shall we? ;)

Remember, when you see me do this ----------------> ;) it means it's a friendly freebie teachable moment ;)

Have a great day!

jhanel
November 4th, 2010, 01:26 PM
Thank you =)

McNeese72
November 4th, 2010, 05:19 PM
Remember, when you see me do this ----------------> ;) it means it's a friendly freebie teachable moment ;)

LOL!

The code on the McNeese messageboard is when I insert the following or something similar:

http://www.geauxcowboys-eastside.org/images/laciesm.jpg

Doc

Frosty The Snowbuff
November 5th, 2010, 08:21 AM
The way I see it:

The goal of Southland teams should be making the playoffs by WINNING THE SOUTHLAND....Not trying to "help" a fellow Southland team get into the playoffs.....

Why should it matter if McNeese, SLU, And both NSUs schedule FBS schoolS??? Simply win the Southland and ya in the playoffs....Doesn't matter if ya go 7-4 if that's the case....

Besides...it doesn't bode well for the league if we dont WIN playoff games once we get there.....

I understand the more teams = more profit for conference perspective (in a sense) but I'll adopt the SWAC Approach and say if the money is there for the taking (And a chance to win against an FBS team)....Go for it....What is there to lose???

TexasTerror
November 5th, 2010, 10:34 AM
I understand the more teams = more profit for conference perspective (in a sense) but I'll adopt the SWAC Approach and say if the money is there for the taking (And a chance to win against an FBS team)....Go for it....What is there to lose???

I am not sure that more teams = more profit due to the model of the NCAAs.

Would probably boost attendance in Frisco if an SLC team got there and of course, the more SLC teams, the more chances for a win (as you said - that's very important). My big problem is that half the SLC (if not more) schedules themselves out of an at-large bid. Would love if we could be like the CAA, Big Sky, MVFC, etc. and be discussing multiple teams annually. Seems that is a thing of the past...

McCowboys
November 5th, 2010, 06:06 PM
You do what you gotta do. You are the one who is always posting about the finacial problems of the Louisiana schools, and so you, if anyone, should understand.
Maybe one day the economy will rebound and we can again have multiple teams from the SLC in the playoffs. Who wouldn't want that? How many of the Texas SLC schools are up for an at-large bid?

3rd Coast Tiger
November 5th, 2010, 07:44 PM
You do what you gotta do. You are the one who is always posting about the finacial problems of the Louisiana schools, and so you, if anyone, should understand.

What is Logical Explanations for $300 Alex.

BlueHenSinfonian
November 5th, 2010, 08:47 PM
I am not sure that more teams = more profit due to the model of the NCAAs.

Would probably boost attendance in Frisco if an SLC team got there and of course, the more SLC teams, the more chances for a win (as you said - that's very important). My big problem is that half the SLC (if not more) schedules themselves out of an at-large bid. Would love if we could be like the CAA, Big Sky, MVFC, etc. and be discussing multiple teams annually. Seems that is a thing of the past...

The playoffs being in TX is a big reason that I'm hoping that none of the TX schools make it to the NC game. Chattanooga wasn't perfect, but it was closer to the centers of FCS power than Frisco. Montana is the only school west of the Mississippi that has shown a consistent ability to make it to the big game. I realize that bids and contract guarantees ultimately make the NCAA's decision, but finding a way to host the championship game somewhere between Georgia and Pennsylvania would mean that fans of the schools who are mos likely to make the game could actually drive out to see it.

jhanel
November 5th, 2010, 09:35 PM
Its amazing what this thread has turned into. NSU vs SLU tomorrow! LETS GET IT!!!!!!!!!!!!