PDA

View Full Version : Texas State to play Texas Southern

bobcatfan06
February 9th, 2006, 08:11 PM
This is not confirmed but the word over on bobcatfans.com is that Texas State will play Texas Southern, Nov. 11th in San Marcos. We were supposed to play Central Arkansas but dropped that game to get this one. Now that one guy (can't remember his name) that thinks Texas Southern would whoop Texas State, Sam, SFA, etc. will find out how real I-AA football is played. :beerchug:

Hansel
February 9th, 2006, 08:30 PM
point spread has to be about 40 for that one

3rd Coast Tiger
February 9th, 2006, 09:58 PM
Now that one guy (can't remember his name) that thinks Texas Southern would whoop Texas State, Sam, SFA, etc. will find out how real I-AA football is played.

When you recall his name let me know. By the way, were you at the game in 2002?

bobcatfan06
February 9th, 2006, 10:14 PM

I don't know. Some guy talking crap on the Smack Board. And no, I wasn't at the game in 2002.

TXST_CAT
February 9th, 2006, 10:20 PM

Just be ready because alot has changed since '02.
Follow the link for a preview of what to expect.

http://www.news8austin.com/content/your_news/?SecID=278&ArID=151568

TxState_GO_CATS!
February 10th, 2006, 12:01 AM

the 2002 game was one of the most fun games i've ever been to. hope you guys bring the Ocean of Soul again...

Man...good times.

TexasTerror
February 10th, 2006, 07:34 AM
Texas Southern really has no chance in this one. Is this game a home-and-home? Obviously the Bobcats would not play at Dursley Complex, but I figure this would be a great series if the 'Cats and Tigers wanted to play at Robertson because I know there'd be a good group of Bobcats who'd see their team play in Houston and I know the Bobcats wouldn't mind that at all...

However, I am glad to see the Tigers are playing some in-state I-AA competition instead of fleeing the state for Louisiana. If your going to have a tough run in football as Wilson has yet to turn around the football program (note obvious differences between improved PVA&M and then TxSo), atleast do it close by instead of bussing even further out. Hopefully this will signal change at Texas Southern as it relates to football scheduling...

I do feel bad for UCA because those SLC games seem to becoming non-existant. They do have SFA still and they may get SHSU. However, they did have three schools at one point, if not four. Now, they got just one officially...

3rd Coast Tiger
February 10th, 2006, 08:35 AM
Just be ready because alot has changed since '02.
Follow the link for a preview of what to expect.

http://www.news8austin.com/content/your_news/?SecID=278&ArID=151568

TXST_CAT,

We are and have been fully aware for the upgrade in the football program. The name change debate we had in Austin a few years ago must have paid off. Just because we are down right now does not mean that we don't keep up with other local I-AA programs.

It is great that you all have hopefully turned the corner. Congrats!

3rd Coast Tiger
February 10th, 2006, 08:41 AM
the 2002 game was one of the most fun games i've ever been to. hope you guys bring the Ocean of Soul again...

Man...good times.

Of course it was!

A 17-10 final that wasn't decided until the last few minutes into the final quarter. The "Ocean" was putting on a show, Cortez Hankton (now a Jacksonville Jaguar) set a school record (99 yard touchdown reception) on the Bobcat defense. And that was a down year for us as well (4-7 season).

I am most certain that Richard F. Lee will have the "Ocean" back in San Marcos should the game actually come to fruition. Heck, hundreds of SWT students sat on our side just to be close to the band. The attendence of that game also produced one of the top 10 attendence marks for your stadium at the time.

3rd Coast Tiger
February 10th, 2006, 08:55 AM
Texas Southern really has no chance in this one. Is this game a home-and-home? Obviously the Bobcats would not play at Dursley Complex, but I figure this would be a great series if the 'Cats and Tigers wanted to play at Robertson because I know there'd be a good group of Bobcats who'd see their team play in Houston and I know the Bobcats wouldn't mind that at all...

However, I am glad to see the Tigers are playing some in-state I-AA competition instead of fleeing the state for Louisiana. If your going to have a tough run in football as Wilson has yet to turn around the football program (note obvious differences between improved PVA&M and then TxSo), atleast do it close by instead of bussing even further out. Hopefully this will signal change at Texas Southern as it relates to football scheduling...

I do feel bad for UCA because those SLC games seem to becoming non-existant. They do have SFA still and they may get SHSU. However, they did have three schools at one point, if not four. Now, they got just one officially...

Uhhh.... thanks for your synopsis.

First, it's the Alexander Durley Complex.

Secondly, if you are as sentient about the SWAC (especially the two Texas programs) as you say you are, you would know that our Board of Regents approved to increase seating in Durley to 20,000.

Last, thank you for your concerns about Wilson.

TexasTerror
February 10th, 2006, 09:56 AM
First, it's the Alexander Durley Complex.

Secondly, if you are as sentient about the SWAC (especially the two Texas programs) as you say you are, you would know that our Board of Regents approved to increase seating in Durley to 20,000.

Sorry, Dursley/Durley. Oy!

Durley is on campus and that parking situation is awful at TxSo. Maybe with the garage, it won't be as bad. They could use to fix up that dirt road by the H&PE area too, though I don't know what the deal with that was, if it was temporary or not. That garage sure will help all those people from having to park illegally...

Besides seating, what else are they going to fix up there? Get an adequate pressbox? When is the expansion happening? I'm glad TxSo is returning to campus to play football. If I'm back in Houston, it's not too far off for me to check out games and maybe even provide professional help at the games since football is one of my specialties. :)

3rd Coast Tiger
February 10th, 2006, 10:09 AM
Durley is on campus and that parking situation is awful at TxSo. Maybe with the garage, it won't be as bad. They could use to fix up that dirt road by the H&PE area too, though I don't know what the deal with that was, if it was temporary or not. That garage sure will help all those people from having to park illegally...

Again, thanks for your...... concern.

It's not just one garage going up, it's two that will increase parking by 64% around the entire campus. That dirt road is just a temporary one as the main entrance to the H&PE, Recreation Center, Durley and the field house was closed due to the construction of the Southwest garage with a completion date June 2006 while the Northeast garage completion date is April 2006.

Besides seating, what else are they going to fix up there? Get an adequate pressbox? When is the expansion happening? I'm glad TxSo is returning to campus to play football. If I'm back in Houston, it's not too far off for me to check out games and maybe even provide professional help at the games since football is one of my specialties. :)

For the record, in our 59 year history, we've only played three games on campus ('94 Alcorn), ('05 Alcorn), ('05 Pine Bluff) as all other games have been off site.

TexasTerror
February 10th, 2006, 10:22 AM
For the record, in our 59 year history, we've only played three games on campus ('94 Alcorn), ('05 Alcorn), ('05 Pine Bluff) as all other games have been off site.

That's "returning back"...and it's good for TxSo instead of relying on Robertson Stadium, Rice Stadium or gawd forbid, somewhere like Delmar or Butler...

Now, TxSo just needs new softball and baseball facilities. I really like H&PE Arena as a low-major BKB facility, better than many of mid-majors. Is soccer going to play at Durley?

AZGrizFan
February 10th, 2006, 10:32 AM
This is not confirmed but the word over on bobcatfans.com is that Texas State will play Texas Southern, Nov. 11th in San Marcos. We were supposed to play Central Arkansas but dropped that game to get this one. Now that one guy (can't remember his name) that thinks Texas Southern would whoop Texas State, Sam, SFA, etc. will find out how real I-AA football is played. :beerchug:

Gotta' give it up to them though, for stepping up to the plate. It's what we've been complaining about on this board for a long time.... :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

3rd Coast Tiger
February 10th, 2006, 11:09 AM
Gotta' give it up to them though, for stepping up to the plate. It's what we've been complaining about on this board for a long time.... :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

:confused:

Why would you be complaining about our schedule? :confused:
Oh..... you're making a blanket statement.

We scheduled Northwestern State last season only to have mother nature cancel that game. To make up for that loss we picked up McNeese State. We also played Texas El Paso last season. Year before, we played Nicholls State and the year before. We played SWT in 2002 so I don't get your "stepping up to the plate" comment?

TexasTerror
February 10th, 2006, 11:27 AM
PVA&M is the one that has the biggest problems with traveling to NAIA/Div II schools and not playing Div I-AA Texas schools...

The biggest thing I got against Texas Southern is a lack of desire to play in-state schools in mens' basketball, but that's because the AD pretty much sends them on the road (even playing roadies in Storrs, Conn and El Paso, TX on back-to-back nights) and their home games against Div II and NAIAs when I'm sure they could get home-and-homes with SHSU and SFA, both of whom play SWACs regularly.

With football, you could complain they haven't played in-state I-AA schools, but they've played the Bobcats twice since 2002 if you include 2006. Would be nice if they played SHSU or SFA as well, atleast one in-state I-AA each year to go along with the other OOC game, but they are limited on OOC games...

Mr. Tiger
February 10th, 2006, 11:34 AM
:confused:

Why would you be complaining about our schedule? :confused:
Oh..... you're making a blanket statement.

We scheduled Northwestern State last season only to have mother nature cancel that game. To make up for that loss we picked up McNeese State. We also played Texas El Paso last season. Year before, we played Nicholls State and the year before. We played SWT in 2002 so I don't get your "stepping up to the plate" comment?

Blanket statements are the norm here 3rd Coast Tiger. SWAC and Southland Conference teams have played many times in the past. Jackson State played Northwestern State 2003 and 2004. Northwestern State won a hard fought 28-20 game in Jackson in 2004. Grambling, Southern, Texas Southern, and Jackson State -- all the schools near the Southland Conference have played Southland teams in recent years. So a game between Texas Southern and Texas State is nothing unique.

3rd Coast Tiger
February 10th, 2006, 11:50 AM
Blanket statements are the norm here 3rd Coast Tiger.

I am quite aware of that as I was being sarcastic when I said it. Some idividuals can't get past it on this board.

SWAC and Southland Conference teams have played many times in the past. Jackson State played Northwestern State 2003 and 2004. Northwestern State won a hard fought 28-20 game in Jackson in 2004. Grambling, Southern, Texas Southern, and Jackson State -- all the schools near the Southland Conference have played Southland teams in recent years. So a game between Texas Southern and Texas State is nothing unique.

You know that; I know that; the rest of the SWAC knows that; I just wish more AGS posters would. The mandate has our hands tied.

TexasTerror
February 10th, 2006, 11:55 AM
You know that; I know that; the rest of the SWAC knows that; I just wish more AGS posters would. The mandate has our hands tied.

And the SLC has put it to the SWAC (McN wins over then-HBCU Natl Champ Grambling, first year program SELA's whooping of PVA&M which led to PVA&M cancelling second half of home-and-home, etc), but that's nothing new across the board, whether it football, baseball, softball, tennis, etc... :)

Just wish that TxSo would play SHSU and SFA (but playing TxSt-SM is good though in itself) and that PVA&M would play some in-state I-AA schools. TxSo won't play us in MBB and PVA&M won't either, but what can you do? SLC needs those games because of the mandate to play less sub-Div I programs (two instead of four) in BKB beginning next year. TxSo and PVA&M are no help! :mad:

Maybe if I-AA gets 12 games, TxSo will play SFA/SHSU some and PVA&M may actually play an in-state I-AA...

Mr. Tiger
February 10th, 2006, 11:58 AM
PVA&M is the one that has the biggest problems with traveling to NAIA/Div II schools and not playing Div I-AA Texas schools...

The biggest thing I got against Texas Southern is a lack of desire to play in-state schools in mens' basketball, but that's because the AD pretty much sends them on the road (even playing roadies in Storrs, Conn and El Paso, TX on back-to-back nights) and their home games against Div II and NAIAs when I'm sure they could get home-and-homes with SHSU and SFA, both of whom play SWACs regularly.

With football, you could complain they haven't played in-state I-AA schools, but they've played the Bobcats twice since 2002 if you include 2006. Would be nice if they played SHSU or SFA as well, atleast one in-state I-AA each year to go along with the other OOC game, but they are limited on OOC games...

PV just got its football scholarships back and Texas Southern had a non-conference schedule, which included Illinois, UTEP, Rice, Boston College, Connecticut, and Wichita State. I guess that's not challenging enough Texas Southern, so TT doesn't want you to schedule any easy wins. :rolleyes:

3rd Coast Tiger
February 10th, 2006, 12:13 PM
Mr. Tiger,

Love to hear that Comegy is bringing the old blue helmets back. Can't wait to see the JSU of old (Pre-Bell)!

TexasTerror
February 10th, 2006, 12:14 PM
PV just got its football scholarships back and Texas Southern had a non-conference schedule, which included Illinois, UTEP, Rice, Boston College, Connecticut, and Wichita State. I guess that's not challenging enough Texas Southern, so TT doesn't want you to schedule any easy wins. :rolleyes:

TxSo had that tough non-conference because they were forced to play loads of $$$ games. If they weren't forced to do so, they could play teams like SHSU or SFA. They don't though because the AD needs the $$$, simple as that and because TxSo doesn't have more than two OOC spots, the MBB has to do their part in whoring their team for the sake of the AD budget.

Playing TxSo would be better for us because a) they are in Houston and we can get folks to your place so our alums see our team, b) it's Div I and that's better than playing sub Div I squads because no one will come to our gym (because we'll beat them) and c) it's always nice to play Texas schools as is.

3rd Coast, making it up to Huntsville to see our new ballpark and see the Kats play the Tigers? Here's hoping for a better series than what the Tigers saw in Corpus last weekend...

3rd Coast Tiger
February 10th, 2006, 12:17 PM
And the SLC has put it to the SWAC (McN wins over then-HBCU Natl Champ Grambling, first year program SELA's whooping of PVA&M which led to PVA&M cancelling second half of home-and-home, etc), but that's nothing new across the board, whether it football, baseball, softball, tennis, etc... :)

Just wish that TxSo would play SHSU and SFA (but playing TxSt-SM is good though in itself) and that PVA&M would play some in-state I-AA schools. TxSo won't play us in MBB and PVA&M won't either, but what can you do? SLC needs those games because of the mandate to play less sub-Div I programs (two instead of four) in BKB beginning next year. TxSo and PVA&M are no help! :mad:

Maybe if I-AA gets 12 games, TxSo will play SFA/SHSU some and PVA&M may actually play an in-state I-AA...

You'll find anything to complain about TexasTerror. Hey, what do you have to say about that water fountain outside our Martin Luther King Humanities Building? What about the greek trees in front of our Rod Paige College of Education?

gram4life
February 10th, 2006, 12:18 PM

Hey TT help me understand what that has to do with playing Southland teams in the thread? It's amazing you use PV, SELA has lost to MVSU and Alcorn.
But again what does baseball or wining/losing to a Southland team have to do with this game or future games?

3rd Coast Tiger
February 10th, 2006, 12:21 PM
Playing TxSo would be better for us because a) they are in Houston and we can get folks to your place so our alums see our team, b) it's Div I and that's better than playing sub Div I squads because no one will come to our gym (because we'll beat them) and c) it's always nice to play Texas schools as is.

Your fans wouldn't come to our gym for a game (see Stephen F. Austin).

3rd Coast, making it up to Huntsville to see our new ballpark and see the Kats play the Tigers? Here's hoping for a better series than what the Tigers saw in Corpus last weekend...

I have to call Coach Robinson around 2:30 to confirm if the game is postponed due to inclement weather. I just love how you sneak one in. Wow... you are so "SWAC Knowledgeable".

Mr. Tiger
February 10th, 2006, 12:35 PM
TxSo had that tough non-conference because they were forced to play loads of $$$ games. If they weren't forced to do so, they could play teams like SHSU or SFA. They don't though because the AD needs the $$$, simple as that and because TxSo doesn't have more than two OOC spots, the MBB has to do their part in whoring their team for the sake of the AD budget.

You act like Texas Southern is the only team in America that plays money games. Have you checked out all of the Southland Conference teams. Nicholls State played Indiana, LSU, Penn. State, Maryland, and Mississippi all on the road in money games. Why??? Because they need the money. So money games are not unique to Texas Southern. And one of their few non-conference home games was a Division 2 school.

TxState_GO_CATS!
February 10th, 2006, 01:40 PM
jeez...TexasTerror, just let it be! the SWAC is "finally" playing an in-state SLC opponent (as you have wanted) and all you have to do is complain/brag?

give me a break.

here's to a good game btwn TSU and TxSt! :beerchug:

3rd Coast Tiger
February 10th, 2006, 01:42 PM
jeez...TexasTerror, just let it be! the SWAC is "finally" playing an in-state SLC opponent (as you have wanted) and all you have to do is complain/brag?

give me a break.

here's to a good game btwn TSU and TxSt! :beerchug:

*snicker*

Glad that a non SWAC poster made that statement.

If this game does happen, some of us 3rd Coasters would love to tailgate with you Bobcats!

TxState_GO_CATS!
February 10th, 2006, 02:19 PM
*snicker*

Glad that a non SWAC poster made that statement.

If this game does happen, some of us 3rd Coasters would love to tailgate with you Bobcats!

sounds like a GREAT plan. our tailgates have gotten pretty big (i.e. last year) so you guys should have lots of fun. as the game approaches, make sure you visit the bobcatfans website (www.bobcatfans.com) for more tailgating info, or just come early and tailgate with the many other tailagaters. Should be loads of fun!

3rd Coast Tiger
February 10th, 2006, 03:17 PM
sounds like a GREAT plan. our tailgates have gotten pretty big (i.e. last year) so you guys should have lots of fun. as the game approaches, make sure you visit the bobcatfans website (www.bobcatfans.com) for more tailgating info, or just come early and tailgate with the many other tailagaters. Should be loads of fun!

Will do! Thanks!

I'll be sure to tell East Tex Tiger this so he doesn't have to haul his huge pit all the way to San Marcos.

TexasTerror
February 10th, 2006, 04:31 PM
3rd Coast, we got a game tommorrow night and then a doubleheader. Tonight's game was cancelled. This stinks because I work on Sunday and will have to miss the doubleheader...

You'll find anything to complain about TexasTerror. Hey, what do you have to say about that water fountain outside our Martin Luther King Humanities Building? What about the greek trees in front of our Rod Paige College of Education?

Wouldn't know much about it. I'm purely into collegiate athletics and issues of higher education (what's the latest with Slade by the way?). "Rod Paige College of Education"? Did he give money? I'll avoid wise-cracks related to Paige's comical leadership in the Houston ISD. :)

Hey TT help me understand what that has to do with playing Southland teams in the thread? It's amazing you use PV, SELA has lost to MVSU and Alcorn.

Gram4Life, you going to get your facts straight? SELA sure put it to MVSU and Alcorn State this past year, did they not? Despite having a rough go in the SLC. They are 2-0 against MVSU, never lost to them. Did lose the first two years to Alcorn St, but had no issue this year with them.

But again what does baseball or wining/losing to a Southland team have to do with this game or future games?

Because the talk on your boards about the SWAC being some sort of baseball power is a joke. Yes, Southern beat LSU in Baton Rouge last year and I know, SWAC-homers love that big TxSo win over Rice in the NCAA regional a few years ago, but that's just the nature of baseball. It's not like it has been a consistency for your league. SU has loads of talent, no doubt about it, but the league as a whole suffers namely due to lack of pitching depth, which came up later in the discussion.

And then I saw someone saying the SWAC had decent softball. I'll refrain there... :eek:

REGARDLESS, glad to see Tigers playing the in-state Bobcats. Wish the SWAC Texas schools would play us more across the board. That's all I've got for this post...

AZGrizFan
February 10th, 2006, 04:48 PM
I am quite aware of that as I was being sarcastic when I said it. Some idividuals can't get past it on this board.

Here we go again. Excuses excuses.....

Never mind--I retract my positive comment. Only a SWAC'er would view it as negative. : smh : : smh : : smh :

You guys can sure talk the smack for a team that goes 1-10 in THAT conference. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

3rd Coast Tiger
February 10th, 2006, 05:34 PM
Here we go again. Excuses excuses.....

Never mind--I retract my positive comment. Only a SWAC'er would view it as negative. : smh : : smh : : smh :

You guys can sure talk the smack for a team that goes 1-10 in THAT conference. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

So AZ,

Should I walk into our AD's, President's, and Commissioner office and demand that they eliminate this mandate? Yeah, that'll change their mind right? What do you suggest so we can get your blessing oh wise one?

SUjagTILLiDIE
February 11th, 2006, 12:18 AM
And then I saw someone saying the SWAC had decent softball. I'll refrain there... :eek:

Hey TT. Again you speak without doing research.
http://onnidan.com/03-04/news/may/d1sball-mvsu0521a.htm
http://onnidan.com/03-04/news/may/d1sball-mvsu0521b.htm
http://onnidan.com/03-04/news/may/d1sball-mvsu0522.htm

February 11th, 2006, 12:22 AM
Can we please stick to football on the I-AA Discussion Board???