View Full Version : Title Defense Schedule 2006

Saint3333
February 9th, 2006, 06:45 PM
Well ASU will announce its 2006 schedule tomorrow with the OOC games as follows, don't know all the dates yet:

9/2 @ NC State
9/9 JMU (love this game)
Mars Hill (D2, I hope this was a last resort)
@ G-Webb (don't understand this at all)

Every OOC game on the schedule is easier than last year replacing:
LSU for NC State
Kansas for JMU
EKU for G-Webb
CCU for Mars Hill

A lot of the ASU faithful are disappointed with the schedule (only the GW and MH portion) hopefully the new AD will produce a better schedule now that he has a full year to prepare, he has signed some future SEC/ACC marque games.

The schedule does shape up nicely for another run at the playoffs with JMU and Furman at the Rock.

blur2005
February 9th, 2006, 07:04 PM
Well ASU will announce its 2006 schedule tomorrow with the OOC games as follows, don't know all the dates yet:

9/2 @ NC State
9/9 JMU (love this game)
Mars Hill (D2, I hope this was a last resort)
@ G-Webb (don't understand this at all)

Every OOC game on the schedule is easier than last year replacing:
LSU for NC State
Kansas for JMU
EKU for G-Webb
CCU for Mars Hill

A lot of the ASU faithful are disappointed with the schedule (only the GW and MH portion) hopefully the new AD will produce a better schedule now that he has a full year to prepare, he has signed some future SEC/ACC marque games.

The schedule does shape up nicely for another run at the playoffs with JMU and Furman at the Rock.
Hold up, I don't think JMU is playing App this season as was originally planned.

ASU Kep
February 9th, 2006, 09:00 PM
I thought I heard that JMU backed out of their game and that was the cause of the delay on getting the schedule out?

nlwwln
February 9th, 2006, 09:25 PM
g webb is a decent squad, they arent really a pushover

blur2005
February 9th, 2006, 11:04 PM
I thought I heard that JMU backed out of their game and that was the cause of the delay on getting the schedule out?
Nope, we're playing on September 9th. Ought to be a good one.

ASU Kep
February 10th, 2006, 01:45 AM
Sept. 2 at NC State Raleigh, N.C.
Sept. 9 JAMES MADISON KIDD BREWER STADIUM
Sept. 16 MARS HILL KIDD BREWER STADIUM
Sept. 23 at Gardner-Webb Boiling Springs, N.C.
Sept. 30 ELON* (Homecoming) KIDD BREWER STADIUM
Oct. 7 at Chattanooga* Chattanooga, Tenn.
Oct. 14 WOFFORD* KIDD BREWER STADIUM
Oct. 21 at Georgia Southern* Statesboro, Ga.
Oct. 28 FURMAN* KIDD BREWER STADIUM
Nov. 4 THE CITADEL* KIDD BREWER STADIUM
Nov. 11 at Western Carolina* Cullowhee, N.C.

GSUEagles47
February 10th, 2006, 05:18 AM

This will be a great game. We are ready for some revenge. Cant wait to get back in "The prettiest little stadium in America"

catamount man
February 10th, 2006, 06:16 AM

What's the deal with no open date? WOW! See you guys November 11th in Cullowhee. GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

UNH 40
February 10th, 2006, 06:28 AM
Nope, we're playing on September 9th. Ought to be a good one.

That is going to be a great game, I will be very interested to see how JMU fairs against the defending champs. I am sure they will represent the A-10 well.

AppGuy04
February 10th, 2006, 07:32 AM

I heard it was next year that they were trying to get out of

AppGuy04
February 10th, 2006, 07:33 AM
No open date will be tough, especially with Furman and GSU back to back

Zim262
February 10th, 2006, 11:08 AM
According to GOASU Mars Hill is the Chancellors alma mater.

MYTAPPY
February 10th, 2006, 12:12 PM
According to GOASU Mars Hill is the Chancellors alma mater.

Of course our new AD came from NC State. Probably why we open with them on Sept. 2nd

AppGuy04
February 10th, 2006, 12:18 PM
Of course our new AD came from NC State. Probably why we open with them on Sept. 2nd

those don't exactly cancel each other out

Appstate03
February 10th, 2006, 03:28 PM
No open date will be tough, especially with Furman and GSU back to back

We do have an open date. Its Sept. 16 against Mars Hill.

Saint3333
February 10th, 2006, 05:05 PM
More like a three week break with MH, GW, and Elon.

ASU will likely out score these opponents 150-24.

HaveFunKc
February 10th, 2006, 10:27 PM
Don't forget - official open date is the week before playoffs...

SoCon48
February 10th, 2006, 10:33 PM

I thought I had read during the winter that we were getting out of having face Woffie, Furman and GSU back to back.
Musta dreamed it!

appst89
February 11th, 2006, 08:00 AM
I thought I had read during the winter that we were getting out of having face Woffie, Furman and GSU back to back.
Musta dreamed it!

That begins with the 2007 SoCon schedule, I believe.

catamount man
February 11th, 2006, 08:29 AM
That begins with the 2007 SoCon schedule, I believe.

You end the 2007 SoCon schedule hosting UTC on 11/17/07. Didn't know if y'all knew that yet? GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

HiHiYikas
February 11th, 2006, 10:44 PM
An illuminating post from ASU's fan board cites these reasons, per a Charlie Cobb address to the Yosef Club's advisory board, for this year's schedule:

1) Both Charlie Cobb and Jay Sutton contacted over 150 schools in search for opponents.

2) As examples, Charlie mentioned that Youngstown State, Southern Illinois, and Montana were all contacted regarding possible matchups. All had open dates that corresponded with open dates on ASU's schedule. ASU offered to travel TO these venues this coming season. All balked at the opportunity to play ASU. These schools are still searching for opponents to play.

3) As of Wednesday, ASU only had a 9 game schedule solidified despite all the work he and Jay were doing. Meanwhile, Charlie mentioned that one other I-AA program (not a powerhouse) in the Carolinas shared that it had been contacted by 37 schools seeking a matchup.

4) We approached EKU about continuing the series with them. They balked, choosing to play WCU instead.

5) Charlie mentioned that schools are selectively scheduling in order to help pave an easier path to the playoffs. Scheduling will likely remain a difficult task going foward.

6) Coach Moore shared that for the first time in his tenure at ASU, he was kept abreast of the scheduling situation and was continually informed of possible matchups. He vouched for the work Charlie and Jay Sutton had put into trying to piece together a schedule.
phil agee (asufan87)

HaveFunKc
February 12th, 2006, 07:51 PM
>>"2) As examples, Charlie mentioned that Youngstown State, Southern Illinois, and Montana were all contacted regarding possible matchups. All had open dates that corresponded with open dates on ASU's schedule. ASU offered to travel TO these venues this coming season. All balked at the opportunity to play ASU. These schools are still searching for opponents to play."

I'm real sure this is not what GFC fans want to read about... Ouch! And as a Mountaineer myself - seeing a D-II on our schedule doesn't make me smile, but if ADs aren't willing to step up the plate I guess it makes sense now.

February 12th, 2006, 09:13 PM
An illuminating post from ASU's fan board cites these reasons, per a Charlie Cobb address to the Yosef Club's advisory board, for this year's schedule:...Link to the text of his address please? Not a messageboard post.

HiHiYikas
February 12th, 2006, 09:20 PM
Link to the text of his address please? Not a messageboard post.
My guess is it's not online, and it probably won't make it to the internet, but if I find anything, I'll post it...looks like several ASU board posters who were at the advisory board meeting have verified much of the content of Cobb's speech. You might visit that board and ask there.

February 12th, 2006, 10:31 PM
My guess is it's not online, and it probably won't make it to the internet, but if I find anything, I'll post it...looks like several ASU board posters who were at the advisory board meeting have verified much of the content of Cobb's speech. You might visit that board and ask there.No thanks. There has just been so much "verified" info there that proved false in the past that I am skeptical of unsubstantiated posts off that board. Like I said, I'll believe it when I see substantiation. It's not that I think the verifiers are lying, the ones I've met are good people, but I just like to see it in writing... I'm just like that. Maybe I should try to interview Cobb?

appst89
February 13th, 2006, 04:56 AM
No thanks. There has just been so much "verified" info there that proved false in the past that I am skeptical of unsubstantiated posts off that board. Like I said, I'll believe it when I see substantiation. It's not that I think the verifiers are lying, the ones I've met are good people, but I just like to see it in writing... I'm just like that. Maybe I should try to interview Cobb?

Well, a transcript could have been edited before you saw it or a tape could be dubbed before you heard it. Even an interview might not be reliable because one of those nefarious MMB people could slip you a mind altering drug prior to the interview. I guess there's nothing that could possibly make this information reliable so it must be just another lie by those awful ASU folks.

February 13th, 2006, 05:34 AM
Well, a transcript could have been edited before you saw it or a tape could be dubbed before you heard it. Even an interview might not be reliable because one of those nefarious MMB people could slip you a mind altering drug prior to the interview. I guess there's nothing that could possibly make this information reliable so it must be just another lie by those awful ASU folks.Now now, don't get all frisky. I didn't say anyone told a "lie" or was "awful" or "nefarious" like you posted. I just like that kind of stuff like a transcript or tape or interview. Sorry. : smh :

Kiss My Apps
February 13th, 2006, 05:41 AM
What sort of verified info has proved false in the past Ralph? Please clarify.

February 13th, 2006, 05:50 AM
What sort of verified info has proved false in the past Ralph? Please clarify.Just all the Jerry Moore firing, Roachel Laney firing stuff etc. That's all. People on the MMB said stuff was a done deal but it never materialized (in RL's case it happened year's after it was predicted and in JM's case, well, we all know). Not saying, just saying.

HiHiYikas
February 13th, 2006, 07:09 AM
No thanks. There has just been so much "verified" info there that proved false in the past that I am skeptical of unsubstantiated posts off that board. Like I said, I'll believe it when I see substantiation. It's not that I think the verifiers are lying, the ones I've met are good people, but I just like to see it in writing... I'm just like that. Maybe I should try to interview Cobb?
I'm with you on your desire for in-writing substantiation, and my initial post is basically a "FWIW." My guess is that something like that wouldn't make it into an official publication. I don't imagine ASU's athletic department would make "Our schedule is disappointing and full of pushovers, but a lot of quality I-AA's want a cakewalk to the playoffs so they're afraid to play us" into an official statement. That's a bit of an exaggeration, but it shows how potentially delicate the situation might become.

It's been a while since I was in the sports media, and I never covered much football in the brief time I was. How would one verify something like this without belittling weaker opponents or reflecting negatively on the teams who refused to schedule ASU?

February 13th, 2006, 07:32 AM
I'm with you on your desire for in-writing substantiation, and my initial post is basically a "FWIW." My guess is that something like that wouldn't make it into an official publication. I don't imagine ASU's athletic department would make "Our schedule is disappointing and full of pushovers, but a lot of quality I-AA's want a cakewalk to the playoffs so they're afraid to play us" into an official statement. That's a bit of an exaggeration, but it shows how potentially delicate the situation might become.
It's been a while since I was in the sports media, and I never covered much football in the brief time I was. How would one verify something like this without belittling weaker opponents or reflecting negatively on the teams who refused to schedule ASU?We are corresponding on the AGS I-AA Discussion Board, viewable by anybody (really everybody in I-AA) nationally. I doubt that any AD or school rep would publicly say that another school was ducking them. Schedules are a tough thing with many factors and we should give a little slack to what our reps come up with. One year you have two/three/four I-As and the next you have one/two D-IIs. Scheduling to make the playoffs is not some new thing you know. Mountaineer folks just last year were shaking in their boots about it. Things work out. Verification is easily achieved by something that appears in a publication. If Mr. Cobb said the stuff posted at an official event then somebody should report on it. It takes very little effort to do it. They can send it to I-AA.org and we'll verify it and credit them with the story. It's very newsworthy but messageboard stuff only goes so far without substantiation.

appst89
February 13th, 2006, 08:18 AM
Now now, don't get all frisky. I didn't say anyone told a "lie" or was "awful" or "nefarious" like you posted. I just like that kind of stuff like a transcript or tape or interview. Sorry. : smh :

And all I'm saying is that you've set a standard that can never be met. You can document until the cows come home and if I'm inclined to do so, as you are, I can cast doubt on anything you say or write. Tapes can be edited, transcripts can be changed and anything said can be taken out of context and totally turned around. You're really saying that you're only going to believe what you want to or what fits your agenda regardless of the source and that's your prerogative, but don't be surprised when those same standards are applied to what you say to be the truth.

AppGuy04
February 13th, 2006, 08:25 AM
No matter who we play, if we take care of business, the schedule won't be an issue

February 13th, 2006, 08:30 AM
And all I'm saying is that you've set a standard that can never be met...You are being silly for all to see. I've clearly posted what I am looking for, substantiation. Post a link to an article is all. If it appears in print then I can check the source and confirm that the person wanted it to be attributed to them. It is done every day and can clearly be met. I do it whenever required.

appst89
February 13th, 2006, 08:48 AM
You are being silly for all to see. I've clearly posted what I am looking for, substantiation. Post a link to an article is all. If it appears in print then I can check the source and confirm that the person wanted it to be attributed to them. It is done every day and can clearly be met. I do it whenever required.

Anything you read, hear or say can be questioned for any reason depending upon the motivations of the person receiving the information. That's all I'm saying. If that's silly to you then so be it, I really couldn't care less.

February 13th, 2006, 08:55 AM
Anything you read, hear or say can be questioned for any reason depending upon the motivations of the person receiving the information. That's all I'm saying. If that's silly to you then so be it, I really couldn't care less.For the sake of intelligent discussion then if you could care less, don't post. All I am interested in is discussion where people can give opinions on substantiated material, not wild rumors. I'm sure your AD would appreciate that. That's all I'm saying.

AppGuy04
February 13th, 2006, 08:59 AM
Both of you need to just chiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiil.

It is probably a 1/2 truth that those schools were contacted. I highly doubt that allllllllll of those schools said no. But I can understand why Ralph would want proof. If there isn't enough to print, then its probably not completely true. However, there have been instances where people were talking about big news and nobody asked them for "substantiation." The biggest one that comes to mind was when GSU was hiring their new HC. People were talking about all kinds of guys in the week before, and nobody asked for proof. So I see both sides of the argument.

appst89
February 13th, 2006, 09:07 AM
For the sake of intelligent discussion then if you could care less, don't post. All I am interested in is discussion where people can give opinions on substantiated material, not wild rumors. I'm sure your AD would appreciate that. That's all I'm saying.

I said I couldn't care less about what you think, not about the topic. Since you've now explained your parametrers, I'll expect you to examine every thread on this site and remove any discussion that is not completely substantiated. Or do you pick and choose where you're going to apply those standards depending on who is involved?

February 13th, 2006, 09:08 AM
... there have been instances where people were talking about big news and nobody asked them for "substantiation." The biggest one that comes to mind was when GSU was hiring their new HC. People were talking about all kinds of guys in the week before, and nobody asked for proof. So I see both sides of the argument.Me too. In the case of GaSU at least they all said it was rumored... I was just making the point that people shouldn't take messageboard posts as fact without at least some proof. You know...

February 13th, 2006, 09:12 AM
I said I couldn't care less about what you think, not about the topic. Since you've now explained your parametrers, I'll expect you to examine every thread on this site and remove any discussion that is not completely substantiated. Or do you pick and choose where you're going to apply those standards depending on who is involved?Look, I know you and I wonder what you are implying. I am just discussing something and asked for some proof. Is that too much? This is supposed to be reasoned discussion. You've said you don't care what I think, that should end it right there. fini

appst89
February 13th, 2006, 09:18 AM
Look, I know you and I wonder what you are implying. I am just discussing something and asked for some proof. Is that too much? This is supposed to be reasoned discussion. You've said you don't care what I think, that should end it right there. fini

No, you don't know me. Otherwise you're right. This is a waste of time.

February 13th, 2006, 09:23 AM
No, you don't know me...Not in the Biblical sense! xlolx xlolx xlolx Carry on and GO MOUNTAINEERS!!! :nod:

appst89
February 13th, 2006, 09:43 AM
Not in the Biblical sense! xlolx xlolx xlolx Carry on and GO MOUNTAINEERS!!! :nod:

Nor in any other sense.

February 13th, 2006, 09:51 AM
Nor in any other sense. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Now now, don't get all frisky. I didn't say anyone told a "lie" or was "awful" or "nefarious" like you posted. Sorry. :read:

OL FU
February 13th, 2006, 09:58 AM
And the last word belongs to...................................... :)

Appstate29
February 13th, 2006, 01:55 PM
this is on the official website for the Mountaineers: http://www.goasu.com/?page=202&article=6776&fromPage=8

here are some excerpts from the article:
Winning the national championship had its price when it came to scheduling, according to Cobb. Success at home hasn’t helped either. The Mountaineers have won a school record 18 straight games at home, including four regular season and three postseason victories last year.

“(Associate AD) Jay Sutton and I must have been in contact with about 150 I-A and I-AA schools and didn’t find a lot of teams with interest in playing us,” Cobb said.

AppGuy04
February 16th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Just remembered, Elder will be throwing the ball to a guy he has already played with, Reynaldo Hunter, the #1 WR in the class of 2005. Sounds good to me.

Did he redshirt? Can't find anything on him

GannonFan
February 16th, 2006, 01:55 PM
this is on the official website for the Mountaineers: http://www.goasu.com/?page=202&article=6776&fromPage=8

here are some excerpts from the article:
Winning the national championship had its price when it came to scheduling, according to Cobb. Success at home hasn’t helped either. The Mountaineers have won a school record 18 straight games at home, including four regular season and three postseason victories last year.

“(Associate AD) Jay Sutton and I must have been in contact with about 150 I-A and I-AA schools and didn’t find a lot of teams with interest in playing us,” Cobb said.

Why did Appalachian St have trouble building a schedule for this year just based upon last year's results? Do the follow the JMU plan of schedule making and wait until a few months before the season to set up a schedule, as opposed to most schools that have a 3-5 year window of schedules? Did somebody back out of a previously scheduled game>

SoCon48
February 16th, 2006, 03:04 PM
Why did Appalachian St have trouble building a schedule for this year just based upon last year's results? Do the follow the JMU plan of schedule making and wait until a few months before the season to set up a schedule, as opposed to most schools that have a 3-5 year window of schedules? Did somebody back out of a previously scheduled game>

1. Home and home series contract with EKU ended.
2. One D-2 on the schedule doesn't make it a bogus line-up. Mars Hill is a mountain neighbor and the Chancellor's alma mater. That should provide some justification for the spot on the sched. You know like when GSU faces Savannah State.
3. The presence of NC State, ACC refs and with a desperate coach leading them vs the defending "top team" in I-AA with a big bullseye should make for a challenging match-up.
4. Hmm, I thought this National Championship holy grail was supposed to be intimidating enough to scare off any program.
5. Hmm II. When Coastal faced Gardner-Webb last season, the game's credibility wasn't questioned. And H it was counting as a conference game.

JCline

GannonFan
February 17th, 2006, 07:36 AM
1. Home and home series contract with EKU ended.
2. One D-2 on the schedule doesn't make it a bogus line-up. Mars Hill is a mountain neighbor and the Chancellor's alma mater. That should provide some justification for the spot on the sched. You know like when GSU faces Savannah State.
3. The presence of NC State, ACC refs and with a desperate coach leading them vs the defending "top team" in I-AA with a big bullseye should make for a challenging match-up.
4. Hmm, I thought this National Championship holy grail was supposed to be intimidating enough to scare off any program.
5. Hmm II. When Coastal faced Gardner-Webb last season, the game's credibility wasn't questioned. And H it was counting as a conference game.

JCline

I'm not sure if you're answering my question or somebody else's - I just wanted to know why Appalachian St had trouble getting games scheduled this year. Many schools would have had 2006's schedule completed back in 2003 or 2004, so winning the title in 2005 shouldn't have made anything more difficult in the immediate short term, unless someone backed out or cancelled a previously scheduled game. Were you answering someone else? :confused:

HensRock
February 17th, 2006, 08:12 AM

So it sounds like in the beginning of this thread, that Cobb was saying he contacted Montana about playing in Missoula in 2006, (and implying: with no expaectations or guarantees of a return date), and the Griz declined.

I just don't see that happening. I think it is a half-truth as someone else pointed out. I'd be willing to bet that ASU wanted a return date in the future and Montana (who's budget woes have been discussed plenty on this board) did not want to owe anyone such a long, expensive future trip. If indeed, ASU was offering to come to Missoula on a one-time, no-strings-attached deal, UM would be crazy not to jump on that if they indeed had an opening.

AppDawg
February 17th, 2006, 08:24 PM
I'm not sure if you're answering my question or somebody else's - I just wanted to know why Appalachian St had trouble getting games scheduled this year. Many schools would have had 2006's schedule completed back in 2003 or 2004, so winning the title in 2005 shouldn't have made anything more difficult in the immediate short term, unless someone backed out or cancelled a previously scheduled game. Were you answering someone else? :confused:

From my observations over the last 7 years, our former AD and administration did not schedule games multiple years in advance, outside of a couple 1 and 1's. I remember waiting until the conference b-ball tournament, in March, for the schedule to be announced. It seemed as if thought wasn't given to the football schedule until December.

In our current administration's first year, they have solidified games in 2009, 2010, & 2011. I do not forsee problems of the past persisting much more after the next couple of years.

Maybe this answers your question.

GannonFan
February 17th, 2006, 11:19 PM
From my observations over the last 7 years, our former AD and administration did not schedule games multiple years in advance, outside of a couple 1 and 1's. I remember waiting until the conference b-ball tournament, in March, for the schedule to be announced. It seemed as if thought wasn't given to the football schedule until December.

In our current administration's first year, they have solidified games in 2009, 2010, & 2011. I do not forsee problems of the past persisting much more after the next couple of years.

Maybe this answers your question.

That does - appreciate the info.