PDA

View Full Version : Appalachian State to be featured on ESPNU Wednesday night

Skjellyfetti
October 26th, 2010, 03:56 PM
Appalachian State University football will be featured in ESPNU's All-Access series this week. All-Access: Appalachian State debuts on ESPNU on Wednesday (Oct. 27) at 6 p.m. and will be replayed on the ESPN family of networks throughout the week.

An ESPN production crew was on campus last Wednesday (Oct. 20) to film a behind-the-scenes look at a typical day for the Mountaineers as they prepared for the annual Battle for the Old Mountain Jug versus Western Carolina. The crew captured 12 hours of footage from activities ranging from coaches' and players' meetings and film study and practice to weightlifting and injury rehabilitation. The crew even followed quarterback DeAndre Presley to class to highlight the day-to-day demands placed on student-athletes both on and off the field.

ESPNU All-Access featured prominent programs such as Alabama, Florida State, Mississippi State and Oregon State for shows earlier this season. Appalachian is the first NCAA Division I FCS program to be included in the series.

The program may be somewhat reminiscent of Fox Sports' Under The Lights documentary of the preparation for and aftermath of the Mountaineers' historic win over Michigan in 2007. ASU head coach Jerry Moore won an Emmy award in 2008 for his role in the Under The Lights documentary (Outstanding Achievement, Sports — One-Time Special category).

http://www.goasu.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205018467&DB_OEM_ID=21500

citdog
October 26th, 2010, 07:25 PM
so the yosef circle jerk is at kyjellys?

panama
October 26th, 2010, 07:26 PM
Pretty huge being the first and only FCS school featured.

james_lawfirm
October 26th, 2010, 07:28 PM
so the yosef circle jerk is at kyjellys?

Hey, man! Where you been? Should have come to my tailgate for the ASU/Citadel game. We feasted on Basted Bellhop!

citdog
October 26th, 2010, 07:36 PM
Hey, man! Where you been? Should have come to my tailgate for the ASU/Citadel game. We feasted on Basted Bellhop!

so has everyone else this season.

jmufan999
October 26th, 2010, 07:43 PM
i've had this tivo'd since i found out about it a few days ago... very interested to see some of the facilities.

MountaineerNation
October 27th, 2010, 06:06 PM
Pretty cool special, I wish that it was longer than 30 mins!

theasushow
October 27th, 2010, 07:23 PM
comin on again tonight at 2am eastern time..as well as 2pm tomorrow. both on espnu

Saint3333
October 27th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Good exposure, but personally I thought it was fairly boring. I do appreciate ESPNU for the exposure and showing off the facilities.

Gringer1
October 28th, 2010, 01:13 AM
These things would be better with some kind of commentary. My favorite part was the dip bulge sticking out of the mouth of one the coaches. You know you're on TV and you can't spit out your chew?

T-Dog
October 28th, 2010, 05:44 AM
These things would be better with some kind of commentary. My favorite part was the dip bulge sticking out of the mouth of one the coaches. You know you're on TV and you can't spit out your chew?

The TV crews do tell the folks to act like they're not even there.

NHwildEcat
October 28th, 2010, 05:53 AM
Congrats to ASU for the exposure...maybe ESPN can do something similar about UNH...based on out facilities it could just be a commercial...30 seconds may about do it.

boonedocks
October 28th, 2010, 07:39 AM
I was kind of disappointed. I thought it was pretty boring.

UCMoc
October 28th, 2010, 08:10 AM
I was kind of disappointed. I thought it was pretty boring.
Yeah, honestly I was pretty excited about watching it when I got home, and it really wasn't that great.

Mntneer
October 28th, 2010, 08:30 AM
Yeah, honestly I was pretty excited about watching it when I got home, and it really wasn't that great.

Ditto. I don't even think they did the facilities justice.

biggie
October 28th, 2010, 08:42 AM
Think you have to be a Xs and Os kinda of person. I enjoyed it.

TSUalum05
October 28th, 2010, 09:20 AM
I DVR'd it -- I'll be checking it out tonight. I did see a small piece where the former Iraq Veteran was joking with his coach.

theasushow
October 28th, 2010, 09:27 AM
I think after the Under the Lights production we all expected more from ESPN....this was without all the drama, just straight up behind the scene looks at a week of preparation. The Under the Lights production won all sorts of awards, it was one for the ages, I have seen it probably 40 times and still watch it when it comes on.

jmufan999
October 28th, 2010, 10:10 AM

exactly, i thought it was awesome... who wants commentary from a non-football person? some TV host that doesn't know what they're talking about..... that would suck. it was perfect the way they did it. understanding some of the terminology helped (thanks to Pat Kirwan's book).

tractorapp
October 28th, 2010, 11:10 AM

I agree Biggie, anyone that has coached in the past can relate to the meetings and the planning sessions. These guys know so much more football than the average fan could ever imagine.

ASUMountaineer
October 28th, 2010, 11:36 AM
I agree Biggie, anyone that has coached in the past can relate to the meetings and the planning sessions. These guys know so much more football than the average fan could ever imagine.

That's what I enjoyed so much about it. I liked seeing the coaches' meetings, the film studies, and the practices. I also liked the players' lounge (I want that pool table) and the 2-minute drill and highlighting "acceptance to medical school." The only part I didn't get was following Presley to class. I suppose ESPN just wanted to personalize the show a bit and show the "star" of the team being a student instead of just an athlete.

I agree, you have to enjoy the X's and O'x to like it. It kind of reminded me of a larger "Gruden with (insert QB name here)" segment that they did on SportsCenter. I enjoyed those, but they were nothing too fancy, just watching film and talking about plays. I wish it had been longer, but I thought it was great for ASU and for FCS as a whole.

appfan2008
October 28th, 2010, 12:07 PM
It was fun and interesting as a hard core fan but honestly could have been more exciting...

boonedocks
October 28th, 2010, 12:59 PM
That's what I enjoyed so much about it. I liked seeing the coaches' meetings, the film studies, and the practices. I also liked the players' lounge (I want that pool table) and the 2-minute drill and highlighting "acceptance to medical school." The only part I didn't get was following Presley to class. I suppose ESPN just wanted to personalize the show a bit and show the "star" of the team being a student instead of just an athlete.

I agree, you have to enjoy the X's and O'x to like it. It kind of reminded me of a larger "Gruden with (insert QB name here)" segment that they did on SportsCenter. I enjoyed those, but they were nothing too fancy, just watching film and talking about plays. I wish it had been longer, but I thought it was great for ASU and for FCS as a whole.

I love X's and O's, but there wasn't enough time spent on anything, or with any set of coaches to really get anything from it. It couldn't provide any context. I felt like if you really like X's and O's it was lacking in substance in that respect. Just a little snippet here and there, but as a football nut, left me wanting more.

Edit: Overall though I still loved it, Great for ASU. I am happy ESPN gave App the opportunity.

Mountaineer
October 28th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Really enjoyed the inside look at the program. Of course I'm entirely not surprised to find people complaining on the MMB and AppFan.

Almost every ASU game has been or will be televised this season. Four games on SportSouth alone. Under the Lights, ESPNU All Access, etc., and there's a hissy fit about feet on the table. There has been unprecedented exposure for the Mountaineer program the past few years.

Just when you think ASU fans couldn't get more obnoxious.. xlolx

ASUMountaineer
October 28th, 2010, 01:39 PM
I love X's and O's, but there wasn't enough time spent on anything, or with any set of coaches to really get anything from it. It couldn't provide any context. I felt like if you really like X's and O's it was lacking in substance in that respect. Just a little snippet here and there, but as a football nut, left me wanting more.

Edit: Overall though I still loved it, Great for ASU. I am happy ESPN gave App the opportunity.

Oh yeah, of course I wanted more. But, some thought it would be an overview of the program. It just ended up being an overview of preparing for a game. As far as I'm concerned, the more ASU the better. xlolx

CrackerRiley
October 29th, 2010, 09:31 AM
Any word on if this will be shown on anything but ESPNU. Ain't got that there channel.

CrackerRiley
October 29th, 2010, 09:38 AM
Or maybe where I could find it online. I've searched and my best bet is to watch streaming video of esnpu during the next broadcast of it. Which is next wednesday at 3pm it seems.... while I'm in class....

GtFllsGriz
October 29th, 2010, 10:35 AM
I really enjoyed what I got to see. I DVR'd it and the first several minutes were about the SEC. The prior show must have run late so I didn't get it all. It was cool to see the day to day workings of the team and coaches. Nice facilities Appalachian. A well respected program with high calabre coaches and players.

theasushow
October 29th, 2010, 10:39 AM
Or maybe where I could find it online. I've searched and my best bet is to watch streaming video of esnpu during the next broadcast of it. Which is next wednesday at 3pm it seems.... while I'm in class....

i was wondering the same thing...i have ESPNU, but on the ASU website it said it would be replayed on the "espn family of networks", however I have yet to see any listing of it on any channel other than ESPNU. it may not make the cut for ESPN or ESPN2, apparently the world series of poker takes precedence.