PDA

View Full Version : TSN Ranks the Recruiting Classes

TexasTerror
February 8th, 2006, 08:28 PM
How one can recruit I-AA classes is beyond me. So many transfers (JUCO and otherwise), so many lesser-known HS players that turn into steals galore. You really never know in I-AA, but that's what makes those games fun on ANY GIVEN SATURDAY, right?

Top Classes (High School Recruits, listed alphabetically)

Appalachian State - The Mountaineers used a strong year of attendance and the national championship to sign two solid quarterbacks and tap into the talent in the Carolinas with a class of 16 players.

Delaware - The Blue Hens beat out I-A schools for a good number of their recruits, and bring in Bradley, quarterback Sean Scanlon and defensive backs Anthony Walters and Anthony Bratton to headline a solid class.

Jacksonville State - By succeeding in recruiting a talented area of the country in Georgia and Alabama, the Gamecocks pulled in a potentially strong group of 23 players.

James Madison - The Dukes have built on the 2004 national championship season with a pair of strong recruiting classes. Dudzik and McPherson headline the class, while the Dukes did a strong job in the trenches with nine offensive and defensive linemen.

UC Davis - The Aggies only brought in 12 players, but Trombetta and Vallier are accomplished running backs, and wide receiver Sean Creadick and quarterback Greg Denham have strong credentials.

Top Classes - TRANSFERS (Transfers and HS, listed alphabetically)

Jackson State - The large numbers give the Tigers a strong class, with 14 transfers and more than 40 freshmen solidifying the roster. Oliver and Pittman should step in right away, and the competition in summer camp should be intense with the influx of players.

Montana - Swogger and Chambers could pay immediate dividends, and the Grizzlies always do a good job at bringing in some of the top freshmen from the state.

Montana State - The Bobcats have immediate playmakers at quarterback and wide receiver, and a pair of signal-callers and offensive lineman Jeff Miller lead a group of 13 freshmen.

Portland State - The Vikings were the transfer leader, with 15 players including Ali and wide receiver Tremayne Kirkland.

Texas State - The Bobcats might not have a star in the group of 14 transfers, but they got the help they needed to rebuild the roster. But that isn’t all, as Texas State also pulled in a solid class of 14 freshmen.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/AGN4003352.htm

aggie6thman
February 8th, 2006, 08:35 PM
Great to see the Ags competing with the top teams in I-AA. Next year will be another great year for us, but in 2007, look out world!

Trombetta, Vallier, Creadick and Denham are going to be studs.

JMU Duke Dog
February 8th, 2006, 08:56 PM
It is good to see our recruiting is going well in others' opinions too but we will have to see how they perform on the field to see how much praise they truly deserve.

10 Freshmen to Watch.....Eventually

James Madison Quarterbacks Drew Dudzik (6-1, 205) and Keith McPherson (6-2, 195) - By this time next year, the two heralded signal-callers could be competing for playing time after the departure of Justin Rascati. Dudzik is a highly regarded recruit out of Virginia who is the son of former Duke quarterback Mike Dudzik (1978-80), while McPherson tallied more than 3,000 yards rushing and passing in his high school career to earn the No. 3 ranking at quarterback in New Jersey from Rivals.com.

Top Classes (High School Recruits, listed alphabetically)

James Madison - The Dukes have built on the 2004 national championship season with a pair of strong recruiting classes. Dudzik and McPherson headline the class, while the Dukes did a strong job in the trenches with nine offensive and defensive linemen.

colgate13
February 8th, 2006, 08:59 PM
Hmmm... Delaware, Montana, the last two NCs... We'll see how good these recruits are in a few years, but I have to be suspicious of a list that 'seems' pre-ordained.

kats89
February 8th, 2006, 09:53 PM
How can you really rank I-AA recruiting? I know Matt is just trying to throw some info, but come on. : retard :

Chi Panther
February 9th, 2006, 02:03 AM
I think he does a good job.....

However, I think he is slipping on UNI.....I know its much easier to measure QB/WR/RB production.....and the WRs UNI has brought in are gonna be solid (who wouldn't want to play with Eric Sanders the next 2 years)....but the O-line recruits are gonna provide depth that might make UNI's O-line their best weapon......

Lionsrking
February 9th, 2006, 02:15 AM
I don't have a problem with people trying to rank recruiting classes. We all know it's a pointless excercise at this juncture but it stirs debate and keeps the interest up in college football this time of year.

All I know is our class was incredibly good and we can seriously compete for the Southland Conference as well the National Championship with the type of athletes we signed on Feb 1st. We're probably another good recruiting class and a year or two away but I think we'll get to that level pretty quickly.

OL FU
February 9th, 2006, 08:22 AM
In case you are interested.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/AGN4003352.htm

ead the glowing press releases and salivate over the high school statistics. Just keep in mind that the hoopla and excitement will be as distant a memory as the Super Bowl XL officiating by the time the incoming true freshmen make their marks in I-AA.

While the jury will be out on the majority of the 2006 recruiting classes for at least a few years, some schools do have reason for anticipation for the upcoming campaign. Names like Justin Rascati, Craig Ochs, Dustin Long, Ingle Martin and Barrick Nealy have a group of fan bases brimming with excitement.

touchdown
February 9th, 2006, 08:57 AM
how can you base anything on recruiting ratings especially from the sportsnetwork staff? Ill give you an example if you take sacramento state recruiting list and use rivals.coms formula they finish 75th in the nation ahead of most of the wac and mountain west schools.
They have 1**** and 2*** and 5 ** signees, we are getting excited about a school that signs 4 ** star players in the whole class and we want to rate them as a top class?
Take it all as a grain of salt,But i will state this, if Dallas Mauga is not the top newcomer transfer on Defense in the Big sky, i will be shocked!

tsutiger
February 9th, 2006, 09:10 AM
Tennessee State WR Mike Mason (5-11, 190, SR/North Carolina) - Mason clocked at 4.2 in the 40-yard dash,and provides the Tigers with a much-needed big-play threat after averaging 16.9 ypc (372 yards, 1 TD) last season. He could combine with fellow I-A transfer quarterback Antonio Heffner (South Carolina) to boost the Tigers’ passing game.

:beerchug:

carney2
February 9th, 2006, 09:47 AM
How can you really rank I-AA recruiting? I know Matt is just trying to throw some info, but come on. : retard :

I agree.

BUT

Last year this was the first place that we got a hint that Richmond was moving up in the world.

GannonFan
February 9th, 2006, 10:39 AM
I agree.

BUT

Last year this was the first place that we got a hint that Richmond was moving up in the world.

I doubt you can really make that claim - Richmond only had two guys from the freshman class play and significant time as true freshmen, and both were in backup roles. Richmond did what they did this past year based on the players that were already in the system, not the ones that were recruited. You could say that success they have in this year to come was foreseen by last year's recruiting class, but last year's success had extremely little to do with that recruiting.