PDA

View Full Version : Southern Conference Power Rankings/Predictions - Week 9.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
October 24th, 2010, 06:48 AM
This past week I went 4-0, Chattanooga came through for me again this week as they rode the train all the way to Comeback City. Congratulations to Appalachian State for being the first SoCon team to become eligible for the playoffs by beating WCU. This week's power rankings (number of parenthesis indicates number of wins needed to be eligible for an at-large playoff bid).

1) Appalachian State (Qualified) - knocked WCU down and kept them down
2) Wofford (2) - got very lucky vs. Elon
3) Chattanooga (2) - exorcised the curse of the Paladin and is cursing Elon at the same time
4) Georgia Southern (3) - win vs. The Citadel came at a price
5) Furman (3) - great start, unable to finish off the Mocs
6) Elon (out) - second half rally came up short
7) Samford (out) - gets a break before they play Georgia Southern
8) Western Carolina (out) - there's no Mountain Jug for them
9) The Citadel (out) - surprisingly good effort vs. Georgia Southern

Week 9 Predictions:
Elon @ Chattanooga - B.J. and the Mocs win in a close battle of two of the SoCon's best QBs.
Furman @ Appalachian State - Paladins get "blacked out" on Black Saturday.
The Citadel @ Wofford - Terriers should have no problem with the Bulldogs.
Samford @ Georgia Southern - Eagles find a way to win with or without Jaybo Shaw.

OL FU
October 24th, 2010, 08:19 AM
Winners

Georgia Southern
Wofford
Chatt - This one should be a good one. Elon's record is suffering but (and I know this sounds silly, but other than winning they are a pretty good team:))
ASU - The defense has given up yardage but have been able to keep most out of the endzone. Last week, Chattanooga ran over 100 plays because the Furman O could do nothing. the Defense simply ran out of steam. Unless we have a lot more grit than I think we do, this one could be ugly. Againxsmhx)

millwoga1
October 24th, 2010, 09:14 AM
This past week I went 4-0, Chattanooga came through for me again this week as they rode the train all the way to Comeback City. Congratulations to Appalachian State for being the first SoCon team to become eligible for the playoffs by beating WCU. This week's power rankings (number of parenthesis indicates number of wins needed to be eligible for an at-large playoff bid).

1) Appalachian State (Qualified) - knocked WCU down and kept them down
2) Wofford (2) - got very lucky vs. Elon
3) Chattanooga (2) - exorcised the curse of the Paladin and is cursing Elon at the same time
4) Georgia Southern (3) - win vs. The Citadel came at a price5) Furman (3) - great start, unable to finish off the Mocs
6) Elon (out) - second half rally came up short
7) Samford (out) - gets a break before they play Georgia Southern
8) Western Carolina (out) - there's no Mountain Jug for them
9) The Citadel (out) - surprisingly good effort vs. Georgia Southern

Week 9 Predictions:
Elon @ Chattanooga - B.J. and the Mocs win in a close battle of two of the SoCon's best QBs.
Furman @ Appalachian State - Paladins get "blacked out" on Black Saturday.
The Citadel @ Wofford - Terriers should have no problem with the Bulldogs.
Samford @ Georgia Southern - Eagles find a way to win with or without Jaybo Shaw.

Did someone get hurt?

Mntneer
October 24th, 2010, 09:58 AM
Winners

Georgia Southern
Wofford
Chatt - This one should be a good one. Elon's record is suffering but (and I know this sounds silly, but other than winning they are a pretty good team:))
ASU - The defense has given up yardage but have been able to keep most out of the endzone. Last week, Chattanooga ran over 100 plays because the Furman O could do nothing. the Defense simply ran out of steam. Unless we have a lot more grit than I think we do, this one could be ugly. Againxsmhx)

Agree with your picks, but I'm very curious to see App vs Furman (good thing I'll be there). This will be the first real test we've had since week 1, and is the start of our conference gauntlet. Western moved the ball on us pretty well yesterday and questions about our D abound. We put up enough points to win but it seemed to me our offense phoned it in after the first quarter. ASU needs to come out guns blazing starting this weekend.

OL FU
October 24th, 2010, 10:20 AM
Agree with your picks, but I'm very curious to see App vs Furman (good thing I'll be there). This will be the first real test we've had since week 1, and is the start of our conference gauntlet. Western moved the ball on us pretty well yesterday and questions about our D abound. We put up enough points to win but it seemed to me our offense phoned it in after the first quarter. ASU needs to come out guns blazing starting this weekend.

We will have a linebacker about five yards off scrimmage and a corner 15 yards off scrimmage, therefore there will be a reciever wide open about 10 yards off scrimmage:(

ASUTodd
October 24th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Elon @ Chattanooga - Chatty shows that they are the team that about took out App. Elon comes out strong but cant finish. Chatty wins by 7.

Furman @ Appalachian State - This is a rivalry game and always is a good one to watch. Having said that, Furman comes out strong and puts points on the board to match App, but after half time the GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH turns it up and the Paladins go back to SC with a 14 point loss.

The Citadel @ Wofford - Wofford shows the Citadel how to run the ball. This is one dog fight that even Michael Vick wouldn't watch. Wofford by at least 30.

Samford @ Georgia Southern - GSU is getting its choke (Elon) on. They stumble without Jimboy Shaw and the Sammies show that they can play some football. Samford wins by a touchdown and field goal (thats 10 points for you Western Grads). (snicker away).......

OL FU
October 24th, 2010, 12:00 PM
Elon @ Chattanooga - Chatty shows that they are the team that about took out App. Elon comes out strong but the Greatest Blow on Earth (Riddle) looses his cool and punches the Chatty Mascot. Chatty wins by 7.

Furman @ Appalachian State - This is a rivalry game and always is a good one to watch. Having said that, Furman comes out strong and puts points on the board to match App, but after half time the GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH turns it up and the Paladins go back to SC with a 14 point loss.

The Citadel @ Wofford - Wofford shows the Citadel how to run the ball. This is one dog fight that even Michael Vick wouldn't watch. Wofford by at least 30.

Samford @ Georgia Southern - GSU is getting is choke (Elon) on. They stumble without Jimboy Shaw and the Sammies show that they can play some football. Samford wins by a touchdown and field goal (thats 10 points for you Western Grads). (snicker away).......

I missed it, what happened to Shaw?

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 24th, 2010, 01:34 PM
And so App. State enters the gauntlet. Games against Furman, @ GSU, and Wofford on consecutive weeks. Can their SoCon winning streak survive?

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
October 24th, 2010, 01:35 PM
Report was that Jaybo Shaw got hurt.

CropDuster
October 24th, 2010, 02:46 PM
I missed it, what happened to Shaw?

He went out on the 3rd play yesterday. He has been plagued by knee injuries and yesterday suffered a groin injury I believe. We have a true freshman at 2nd string.

OL FU
October 25th, 2010, 06:11 AM
He went out on the 3rd play yesterday. He has been plagued by knee injuries and yesterday suffered a groin injury I believe. We have a true freshman at 2nd string.

Any word on longevity. I sincerely hope he is back soon.

Aho_Old_Guy
October 25th, 2010, 06:39 AM
We will have a linebacker about five yards off scrimmage and a corner 15 yards off scrimmage, therefore there will be a reciever wide open about 10 yards off scrimmage:(

That sounds oddly familiar (like the Appalachian pass defense); and the receiver is most likely 20-25 yds down the field.

SpeedkingATL
October 25th, 2010, 09:28 AM
The Citadel @ Wofford - 1:30 pm (SportSouth)- SportSouth really should reconsider televising this game. The Citdogs just are not ready for primetime and I would expect the Ankle-Biters to cruise in this one. If Citdogs hold it within 3 TDs it's a moral victory.

Elon @ Chattanooga - 2:00 pm - Elon is likely the best 2 win FCS team in the country and they have played everyone to the wire; unfortunately they can't figure out how to win a meaningful game. UTC appears to be firing on all cylinders except for the turnover bug. Expect this to be a close one with around 100 pass attempts between the 2 teams. Chatty wins. (I'm tired of picking the Fenix and losing).

Samford @ Georgia Southern - 2:00 pm - I would consider this game a close match except something is just missing with the Bullpups. GSU has been a little inconsistant as one would expect with a young team and a new offense, but Sammy has been surprisingly poor. The game is at Stinky Creek so I expect the Eagles to roll in this one. They can't afford a letdown at this point.

Furman @ Appalachian State - App keeps rolling inspite of poor secondary play and at times a lack of disipline. This team is loaded with talent and this is the first of 4 tough games lined up for the Apps who have looked simply bored against poor teams from Citdog and Whee. Furman has been rather unpredictable and with this a rivalry game they will bring their best to The Rock. Unfortunately for them they are also bringing Lambchop their head coach that simply can't win against ASU at The Rock or anywhere else. Watch Lamb meltdown as the Apps beat the Furple again, although Mimms has a big afternoon for Furple.

appfan2008
October 25th, 2010, 09:34 AM
One week after all road teams win in the socon... all the home teams will be feeling good on saturday night...

SideLine Shooter
October 25th, 2010, 09:46 AM

Well, I know a team that won a NC with a true freshman.

Eaglesrus
October 25th, 2010, 10:04 AM
Any word on longevity. I sincerely hope he is back soon.

Coach said he could have gone back in Saturday but didn't need to, but who really knows. They're pretty tight-lipped about injuries these days.

biggie
October 25th, 2010, 10:48 AM
The Citadel @ Wofford
Elon @ Chattanooga
Samford @ Georgia Southern
Furman @ Appalachian State
Ditto.

But if Shaw doesn't play for GSU I could see an upset there.

OL FU
October 25th, 2010, 11:03 AM
Coach said he could have gone back in Saturday but didn't need to, but who really knows. They're pretty tight-lipped about injuries these days.

Hoping for the best

Woof
October 27th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Elon @ Chattanooga - Will Elon get up off the mat now that playoff hopes have been dashed? Chatty has something to play for late in the season for the 1st time in a long time and might experience sphincter factor. Lots of passing yards in this one by both QB's. Not sure whyxsmiley_wix, but I feel like Riddle & co will have a chip on their shoulder and relish the spoiler role, so I'm going with Flaming Pigeons in the upset.

Furman @ Appalachian State - Good rivalry game and FU seems to have an answer for the Rock on occasion, but not enough firepower this year, particularly on All Hallow's Eve. Mountainqueers win, but less comfortably than they might have hoped.

The Citadel @ Wofford - After blanking the Pigeons in the 1st half, Terrier's O stubbed its toe in the 2nd and are fortunate to still be undefeated in So Con. El Cid is playing a lot of Knobs who can't or don't want to hold onto the ball. I see us getting our act back together again, keeping the streak alive against the monkey suits and running away with this one to the delight of the Homecoming crowd.

Samford @ Georgia Southern - Total coin toss. Going with home team, but would not be surprised if Sammy pulled this one out. A lot depends on Shaw's availability for Eaglets.

Apps03
October 27th, 2010, 02:18 PM
[QUOTE=Woof;1574004]

Furman @ [B]Appalachian State - Good rivalry game and FU seems to have an answer for the Rock on occasion, but not enough firepower this year, particularly on All Hallow's Eve. Mountainqueers win, but less comfortably than they might have hoped.

What occasion would that be? I honestly don't know the exact record but its been a long while since FU has won at the Rock.

appfan2008
October 27th, 2010, 02:48 PM
[QUOTE=Woof;1574004]

Furman @ [B]Appalachian State - Good rivalry game and FU seems to have an answer for the Rock on occasion, but not enough firepower this year, particularly on All Hallow's Eve. Mountainqueers win, but less comfortably than they might have hoped.

What occasion would that be? I honestly don't know the exact record but its been a long while since FU has won at the Rock.

The last time FU won at the rock was 1996... but hey that is on occasion!

OL FU
October 27th, 2010, 03:11 PM
[QUOTE=Woof;1574004]

I am guessing a better description is that it isn't unusual for FU to be in a postition to win and then find a way not to.

elon77
October 28th, 2010, 08:21 AM
Did someone get hurt?

If they did, was it Elon's fault? Even if it wasn't Elon's game, was it their fault?xwhistlex

elon77
October 28th, 2010, 08:25 AM
And so App. State enters the gauntlet. Games against Furman, @ GSU, and Wofford on consecutive weeks. Can their SoCon winning streak survive?

Oh well, it pains me, but ASU wins out in the Socon and except for that little school in Florida finishes the season with only one loss.

chattownmocs
October 28th, 2010, 08:27 AM
I don't even think elon@chattanooga will be close. Im expecting 15,000+ screaming moc fans at Finley Stadium. Chattown is alive with Moc fever. Mocs by 17.

phoenix3
October 28th, 2010, 09:30 AM
I don't even think elon@chattanooga will be close. Im expecting 15,000+ screaming moc fans at Finley Stadium. Chattown is alive with Moc fever. Mocs by 17.

I hope Coach H and your team thinks that as well.

SideLine Shooter
October 28th, 2010, 09:53 AM

I am glad the Mocs have turned it around, you certainly deserve it but man, talk about fair weather fans. It is unreal. I've been there for your homecoming and I think App had more fans there than the Mocs had.

chattownmocs
October 28th, 2010, 10:06 AM
I doubt they think its going to be a cakewalk. But do they expect to win? YES.

chattownmocs
October 28th, 2010, 10:08 AM
Of course. I cant think of many FBS programs, let alone FCS. That would draw huge crowds when a team hasnt been good for 30 years.

chattownmocs
October 28th, 2010, 10:09 AM
The real story though, is that Chattanooga is a tennessee volunteer town. We get behind the mocs if their is hope but they have to give us hope.

elon77
October 28th, 2010, 10:49 AM
Elon doesn't stand a chance. Play all 2nd and 3rd stringers so it will be competitive.

UCMoc
October 28th, 2010, 11:31 AM
Elon doesn't stand a chance. Play all 2nd and 3rd stringers so it will be competitive.

I don't expect the Mocs to win by that much. The only games that weren't close late were Eastern Kentucky and The Citadel. I would have to believe that Elon is much better than either of those teams. I would say Chattanooga wins by less than a touchdown.

I hate to disappoint, but I don't think Coach H is expecting an easy game either.

Woof
October 28th, 2010, 11:35 AM
[QUOTE=Apps03;1574015]

I am guessing a better description is that it isn't unusual for FU to be in a postition to win and then find a way not to.

Yeah, what he said!

longtimemocfan
October 29th, 2010, 11:03 AM
I hope Coach H and your team thinks that as well.

This game scares me a lot. Elon despite being 2-5 is still a very good team. I think the main thing that hurts Elon is the lack of a running game.

Elon @ Chattanooga - Close game decided by Mocs running game.
Furman @ Appalachian St -You don't play in Boone on Halloween.
The Citadel @ Wofford- Terriers by plenty.
Samford @ Georgia Southern-If Shaw plays Eagles have no problem.

SouthernEagle02
October 29th, 2010, 11:18 AM
A tad pressed for time, so no commentary from me this week. (Yes, I know all of you are disappointed :D)

Elon at Chattanooga
A tale of two teams. Elon was supposed to be a contender, while UTC wasn’t. Well it seems as we head down the home stretch, the Moc’s are the contenders and the Phoenix will have to wait until next year to rise again.
Chattanooga 35 Elon 28

Furman at App St.
This is App’s tune up game for next week’s showdown with Ga. Southern. App is in the driver’s seat while Furman is merely a passenger this year and I don’t see those roles changing Saturday. Pressley has a big game and leads the Mountaineers to victory.
App 45 Furman 35

The Citadel at Wofford
Wofford wins. Next.
Wofford 56 Citadel 17

Samford at Ga. Southern
Samford is the wildcard here. They’ve given teams trouble early in the game, but seeing at they haven’t faced an option team, we’ll see if that holds true. The Eagles are without Jaybo and (presumably) will start a freshman at QB. Last thing the Eagles need to do is get caught looking ahead to next week. Eagles win, but barely.
Ga. Southern 31 Samford 28

chattanoogamocs
October 29th, 2010, 11:34 AM
I am glad the Mocs have turned it around, you certainly deserve it but man, talk about fair weather fans. It is unreal. I've been there for your homecoming and I think App had more fans there than the Mocs had.

LOL...no offense Sideline, but did you think before you typed that or did it just kinda spill out?

How many people would be at Kidd Brewer if ASU has sucked for more than 2 decades?

Back in the late 1970's when ASU was losing to teams like Chattanooga 72-14 (back when the Mocs were the bully of the conference), I am going to go out on a limb and say that there probably plenty of good seats available at ASU home games.

Mountaineer
October 29th, 2010, 11:52 AM
Back in the late 1970's when ASU was losing to teams like Chattanooga 72-14 (back when the Mocs were the bully of the conference), I am going to go out on a limb and say that there probably plenty of good seats available at ASU home games.

You would have to travel back 38 years to 1972 to find a season where ASU averaged less than 11,000 fans (about the same as stadium capacity at the time). That total would still be in the Top 30 in today's FCS landscape. xthumbsupx

chattanoogamocs
October 29th, 2010, 12:01 PM
You would have to travel back 38 years to 1972 to find a season where ASU averaged less than 11,000 fans (about the same as stadium capacity at the time). That total would still be in the Top 30 in today's FCS landscape. xthumbsupx

Do they have attendance figures in the ASU media guide? (I assume since you have such a specific year, you must have seen the it somewhere) I would love to see what the attendance has looked like for the last 30 years.

ASUTodd
October 29th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Do they have attendance figures in the ASU media guide? (I assume since you have such a specific year, you must have seen the it somewhere) I would love to see what the attendance has looked like for the last 30 years.

Page 196 of the App State Media guide. The last time App state was below 11,000 fans in average attendance, is 1972... it was 10,849 that year...... so yeah, 38 year ago.
http://www.goasu.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=21500&ATCLID=204971178

chattanoogamocs
October 29th, 2010, 02:39 PM
Page 196 of the App State Media guide. The last time App state was below 11,000 fans in average attendance, is 1972... it was 10,849 that year...... so yeah, 38 year ago.
http://www.goasu.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=21500&ATCLID=204971178

Awesome, thanks...I was hoping someone would tell me what page so I didn't have to go thru page by page (which is fine when you have the book in your hand...but not so much when you are doing it online)

OL FU
October 29th, 2010, 03:41 PM
"This is App’s tune up game for next week’s showdown with Ga. Southern."

I have to admit I chuckled at this one just a wee bit. Admittedly, playing it at Statesboro makes it a little more interesting, but geez.......

james_lawfirm
October 29th, 2010, 06:37 PM

I get it. On the average, you've got him covered. However, we're playing football, not statistics.

Fu, any chance of seeing you in Boone tomorrow?

Horseshoe App
October 29th, 2010, 06:50 PM

I have to admit I chuckled at this one just a wee bit. Admittedly, playing it at Statesboro makes it a little more interesting, but geez.......

Furman scares me as much as Georgia Southern or Wofford. I have vivid memories from the 80's when Furman beat us like drums. I guess the newer fans do not remember this. Heck, Furman is the only team in our conference that has a winning record against us.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 29th, 2010, 07:02 PM

App. State's only wins in Statesboro are a 7 point win over a 4-7 GSU team, A 7 point OT win over a 3-8 GSU team (you might could say it was GSU's worst team ever against App. State's best team ever), and a 1 point regulation win over a 6-5 team. It's not to say GSU is that much better than Furman. It's that App. State always has a hard time in S'boro and you better believe after what happened last year our guys will be ready for that game.

ChattTown Mountaineer
October 30th, 2010, 01:25 PM

I so wish I was going to see the Mocs today...instead of blowing leaves. Hoping to see the Mocs spank Elon, then survive Auburn to face Wofford healthy and ready. I would LOVE to see my teams go 1-2.

I am NOT as eager for the next three weeks of App's schedule. I find myself holding my breath every Saturday around noon. Come on, APP!

ChattTown Mountaineer
October 30th, 2010, 01:42 PM

You've also got to remember two things besides how poor the UTC team has been for a long time. 1, Finley Stadium feels nothing like a campus field, much less the way Kidd Brewer is integrated into ASU's campus. I walked into a lot of games at App from my dorm just because I didn't have anything better to do. You have to really, really want to go to the game as a UTC student. and 2, (regarding your homecoming comment) Appalachian considers Finley Stadium a home field too! I know I do.

It's been awesome to see two distinct generations of Mocs fans having something to cheer about together for the first time. I am still amused when I remember the shouts from a few people in the community to shut down the football team in 2008. The Mocs have climbed an impressive hill on the field and off, and Chattanooga is so glad they don't have to look to Knoxville for good football anymore. (They wouldn't find it there anyway.)

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
October 30th, 2010, 03:16 PM
The Mocs have climbed an impressive hill on the field and off, and Chattanooga is so glad they don't have to look to Knoxville for good football anymore. (They wouldn't find it there anyway.)

For the past three seasons, that would be the case.

ElonPride
October 30th, 2010, 04:33 PM

Good call there man xsmiley_wix

In all honesty, it was a pretty weird game.

millwoga1
October 30th, 2010, 04:44 PM
App. State's only wins in Statesboro are a 7 point win over a 4-7 GSU team, A 7 point OT win over a 3-8 GSU team (you might could say it was GSU's worst team ever against App. State's best team ever), and a 1 point regulation win over a 6-5 team. It's not to say GSU is that much better than Furman. It's that App. State always has a hard time in S'boro and you better believe after what happened last year our guys will be ready for that game.

You are 2-2 at home this year with losses to Wofford and Samford. Not that hard to win there these days.

Skjellyfetti
October 30th, 2010, 05:35 PM
And Georgia Southern is now 0-3 vs. Samford since they joined the SoCon..... wow.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 30th, 2010, 06:32 PM
You are 2-2 at home this year with losses to Wofford and Samford. Not that hard to win there these days.

If GSU gets everyone back at 100% (especially Jaybo and the OL that are injured) then GSU will be a handful for anyone in the FCS at home.

whoanellie
October 30th, 2010, 07:34 PM
Now if you were to tell me that Elon would lose 4 fumbles, #1 on the first play
I would not have given us a Snow-balls chance to get a win. BUT
wait We intercepted the great BJ Coleman 5 times to Riddle's Zero and then get our 3rd team RB
to light it up for 168 & 4TD's. So much for the UTC stat padders 66 attempts
5 TD's weren't enough.

noogamoc
October 30th, 2010, 08:05 PM
What a game.

Western...check
El Cid...check
Furman...check
Ga Southern...check
Appy...almost check
Elon...ouch

SideLine Shooter
October 30th, 2010, 09:36 PM
And Georgia Southern is now 0-3 vs. Samford since they joined the SoCon..... wow.

That fact is amazing.

phoenix3
October 30th, 2010, 10:19 PM
A tad pressed for time, so no commentary from me this week. (Yes, I know all of you are disappointed :D)

Elon at Chattanooga
A tale of two teams. Elon was supposed to be a contender, while UTC wasn’t. Well it seems as we head down the home stretch, the Moc’s are the contenders and the Phoenix will have to wait until next year to rise again.
Chattanooga 35 Elon 28

Well, you got the "Chattanooga 35" right.

OL FU
November 2nd, 2010, 07:47 AM

My point wasn't that you will not give them a good game. My point was the "tune up" verbage