GSU Eagle
October 23rd, 2010, 06:53 PM
Right now I would put the pecking order as
1. Appalachian St.
2. Wofford
3. Chattanooga
4. Georgia Southern
5. Furman

I guess all 5 still have a chance. Big games are still left: GSU/Furman, GSU/Appalachian, Furman/Appalachian, Appalachian/Wofford, Chattanooga/Wofford.

Do any of you see any scenario where a 7-4 SoCon team could get in?

Reign of Terrier
October 23rd, 2010, 07:29 PM
If Furman or GSU loses again, they are out period. The only way I could see a 7-4 team getting into the playoff is if Chattanooga loses to Wofford with GSU beating App. This would mean a 9-2/8-3 App, 9-2/10-1 Wofford, and an 8-3 GSU team (I'm pretty certain I heard a stat that every 8-3 GSU team has made the playoffs), and a 7-4 Chattanooga team (with losses to a top 5 Auburn team, and 3 top 10/playoff FCS teams). That might happen, the only way I see Chatty making the playoffs at 7-4 is if GSU gets in but they very well could not

T-Dog
October 23rd, 2010, 07:57 PM
I think GSU will be in at 7-4 if GSU loses to App and wins the rest. All seven wins DI (compared to 2007 when they had 6 DI wins at 7-4), losses to three top ten teams and a close loss to Navy.

Ideally for me, here's how it will end.

App, 10-1, 8-0, Top 2 seed.
UTC, 8-3, 7-1 OR 7-4, 6-2
Wofford, 8-3, 6-2 OR 9-2, 7-1
GSU, 7-4, 5-3.

Tell me how any of those four will be excluded.

Reign of Terrier
October 23rd, 2010, 08:06 PM
I think GSU will be in at 7-4 if GSU loses to App and wins the rest. All seven wins DI (compared to 2007 when they had 6 DI wins at 7-4), losses to three top ten teams and a close loss to Navy.

Ideally for me, here's how it will end.

App, 10-1, 8-0, Top 2 seed.
UTC, 8-3, 7-1 OR 7-4, 6-2
Wofford, 8-3, 6-2 OR 9-2, 7-1
GSU, 7-4, 5-3.

Tell me how any of those four will be excluded.

the problem I see with a 7-4 GSU team is that there is no real quality win. I think a 7-4 Chatty team should get in but they have a better chance if an 8-3 GSU team gets in. App could probably lose to GSU, Wofford, and Florida and make the playoffs

Reign of Terrier
October 23rd, 2010, 08:13 PM
so essentially my ideal playoff scenario is
Wofford 10-1 8-0
GSU 8-3 6-2
App 8-3 6-2
Chatty 7-4 6-2

but I don't see it happening because I don't see App losing to GSU (even at Paulson)....I wouldn't be surprised either way if Chatty did/didn't make the playoffs. It wouldn't surprise me if Wofford won it's next 2 then dropped it's last 2.

chattanoogamocs
October 23rd, 2010, 08:17 PM
If the Mocs can take care of Elon and Samford (both at home)...and play a good game at Wofford...the argument would be that Chattanooga's losses are all to top 10 teams (by small margins)...and Auburn. ...and had wins over then ranked GSU and Furman. 5 ranked teams and a BCS powerhouse is a tough sked.

I don't know if that gets you in...but surely it has to get you seriously discussed.

I just want to know if the Mocs have FINALLY done enough to get in the coaches poll? Wake up coaches! :)

Mntneer
October 23rd, 2010, 08:28 PM
If the Mocs can take care of Elon and Samford (both at home)...and play a good game at Wofford...the argument would be that Chattanooga's losses are all to top 10 teams (by small margins)...and Auburn. ...and had wins over then ranked GSU and Furman. 5 ranked teams and a BCS powerhouse is a tough sked.

I don't know if that gets you in...but surely it has to get you seriously discussed.

I just want to know if the Mocs have FINALLY done enough to get in the coaches poll? Wake up coaches! :)

Agree completely. ASU fans have been saying Chatty is the real deal since week 1, and people chalked it up to us wanting to justify coming *this* close to dropping one. Now people are starting to understand.

T-Dog
October 23rd, 2010, 08:29 PM
the problem I see with a 7-4 GSU team is that there is no real quality win. I think a 7-4 Chatty team should get in but they have a better chance if an 8-3 GSU team gets in. App could probably lose to GSU, Wofford, and Florida and make the playoffs

For GSU, it might not be a question of "what's their quality win?' but instead "who else is there?"

Saint3333
October 23rd, 2010, 08:41 PM
Any SoCon team at 8-3 is in no matter what, there will be at least one 7-4 team in the playoffs from the CAA and if UTC is 7-4 they likely will be as well.

JaxSinfonian
October 23rd, 2010, 09:01 PM
Agree completely. ASU fans have been saying Chatty is the real deal since week 1, and people chalked it up to us wanting to justify coming *this* close to dropping one. Now people are starting to understand.

Agreed here, as well. Started saying it the week after you did. Forget 7-4, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see an 8-3 Mocs team in the field.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
October 23rd, 2010, 09:18 PM
The way I see it, I project the following:
1) Appalachian State - 8-0 SoCon, 10-1 overall - I have heard some discussion from the GSU fans that App will lose in Paulson (but that was before Jaybo Shaw got injured). I don't see that happening. I also foresee ASU giving Florida all they could handle (translation: Florida's days of laying beatdowns of FCS teams ARE OVER).
2) Chattanooga - 7-1 SoCon, 8-3 overall - They'll lose to Auburn for sure but will do enough to take care of the balance of their conference schedule.
3) Wofford - 6-2 SoCon, 8-3 overall - They will drop the last two games but not without a fight against ASU and Chattanooga.
4) Furman/Georgia Southern - 5-3 SoCon, 7-4 overall - Winner of Furman/Georgia Southern game will be a playoff elimination game.
5) Furman/Georgia Southern - 4-4 SoCon, 6-5 overall - self-explanatory

chattanoogamocs
October 23rd, 2010, 09:22 PM
Early in the season, I would say that the Mocs could win...but they still had to learn how to win. I think they are starting to figure it out.

As great as this is right now as a Moc fan...the more amazing thing is to think about how incredibly low we were just 22 months ago.

The most heartening thing is that the fans have actually started showing up (many people claimed that no matter how good the Mocs were, you would be lucky to get 10,000 people to show up for a game, now we are disappointed if it is less than 12-15K...hell, UTC might be the best team in the State of Tennessee right now ;))

GunsAndGuitars
October 23rd, 2010, 10:52 PM
hell, UTC might be the best team in the State of Tennessee right now ;))

The Mocs are good this year (as App fans have said since week 1), but that statement doesn't carry much meaning anymore does it?