PDA

View Full Version : NCSA Collegiate Power Rankings

Bogus Megapardus
October 21st, 2010, 09:10 AM
"The Collegiate Power Rankings from NCSA are calculated for each college/university at the NCAA Division I, II and III levels by averaging the Learfield Sports Directors' Cup ranking, the NCAA student-athlete graduation rate of each college/university and the U.S. News & World Report ranking. The collegiate power rankings based off of the Learfield Sports Directors' Cup rating evaluates the strength of NCAA athletic departments, while the U.S. News & World Report rating recognizes institutions of academic excellence. The student-athlete graduation rates are based on those provided by the NCAA. "

2010 Division I top 20:

1 Stanford University
2 Princeton University
3 Duke University
4 Harvard University
5 University of Notre Dame
6 Cornell University
7 Yale University
8 University of Pennsylvania
9 Northwestern University
10 Brown University
11 Pennsylvania State University
12 Georgetown University
13 Boston College
14 Dartmouth College
15 United States Naval Academy
16 College of William and Mary
16 Columbia University
18 Vanderbilt University
19 United States Military Academy
20 Bucknell University

The top 100:

http://www.ncsasports.org/about-ncsa/power-rankings/%28year%29/2010/%28tab%29/1

boonegoon
October 21st, 2010, 09:18 AM
2 crazy observations.

1. I had no idea the Air Force Academy would be ranked so much lower than the other service academies in Academics. Shocking.
2. UNC- Wilmington is the second ranked NC state school.

bostonspider
October 21st, 2010, 09:24 AM
Nice to see so many FCS schools in the top 30.

Princeton
Harvard
Cornell
Yale
Penn
Brown
Georgetown
Dartmouth
William & Mary
Columbia
Bucknell
Villanova
Davidson
Richmond

That is almost 1/2 the top 30....

Bogus Megapardus
October 21st, 2010, 10:25 AM
Notice the prominence of private institutions as well.

mcveyrl
October 21st, 2010, 10:47 AM
ECB

theasushow
October 21st, 2010, 10:56 AM
i am in complete and utter disbelief that my alma-mater (THE Appalachian State University) isnt ranked in the top 2-3 on this list. All credibility is lost, this is worse than the coaches poll.

Bogus Megapardus
October 21st, 2010, 11:06 AM
i am in complete and utter disbelief that my alma-mater (THE Appalachian State University) isnt ranked in the top 2-3 on this list. All credibility is lost, this is worse than the coaches poll.

I don't think this is a poll. It's more of a calculation, although some subjective third-party underlying data are used. Remember, it covers all sports including many not offered by a lot of schools.

My question is, shouldn't Georgia State be included based on attendance and the fact that they serve beer in the Georgia Dome?

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 21st, 2010, 11:34 AM
#49xhurrayxxhurrayxxhurrayx

TexasTerror
October 21st, 2010, 11:47 AM
2 crazy observations.

1. I had no idea the Air Force Academy would be ranked so much lower than the other service academies in Academics. Shocking.
2. UNC- Wilmington is the second ranked NC state school.

Doesn't AFA have much fewer sports offerings than Navy, Army?

knf
October 21st, 2010, 12:35 PM

William & Mary....Just saying. You guys ever gonna beat them at anything?

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 21st, 2010, 12:40 PM
William & Mary....Just saying. You guys ever gonna beat them at anything?

let me know when they start their hockey program

ElonPride
October 21st, 2010, 01:04 PM
SoCon Schools in the top 100:

Davidson 29
Wofford 61
Furman 63
Elon 76

xhurrayx

401ks
October 21st, 2010, 01:17 PM
SoCon Schools in the top 100:

Davidson 29
Wofford 61
Furman 63
Elon 76

xhurrayx

Pioneer Football League schools in the Top 100:

Davidson 29
Dayton 40
San Diego 47
Marist 51
Butler 56

Schfourteenteen
October 21st, 2010, 01:22 PM
Presbyterian isn't Division I.

:D

ElonPride
October 21st, 2010, 04:07 PM
Davidson is also a SoCon school with the exception of football....

Bogus Megapardus
October 21st, 2010, 04:22 PM
My how things are cast in a different light when you factor in academic standing and the the overall attractiveness of an institution to athletes in general.

AshevilleApp
October 21st, 2010, 04:50 PM
xchinscratchxWhere is Florida State?

401ks
October 22nd, 2010, 09:14 AM
Davidson is also a SoCon school with the exception of football....

Since this is an FCS football message board, it seemed like a good thing to point out that Davidson is not a SoCon football team.

xthumbsupx

ElonPride
October 22nd, 2010, 10:01 AM
Since this is an FCS football message board, it seemed like a good thing to point out that Davidson is not a SoCon football team.

xthumbsupx

Since all of their other programs are in the SoCon, we claim them! Majority rules :)

Bogus Megapardus
October 22nd, 2010, 10:29 AM
Since all of their other programs are in the SoCon, we claim them! Majority rules :)

Then by the same token the Patriot League gets to claim Army and Navy as well. Bumps us up a notch. Either way, all PL members and all associate members are easily in the top 100 (add in associate member MIT, if you look at the "overall" rankings) - that's more than ten percent of the entire group.

On AGS, of course, we still suck.

boonegoon
October 22nd, 2010, 10:41 AM
Doesn't AFA have much fewer sports offerings than Navy, Army?

Perhaps, but I thought they were better academically.

ElonPride
October 22nd, 2010, 11:52 AM
Then by the same token the Patriot League gets to claim Army and Navy as well. Bumps us up a notch. Either way, all PL members and all associate members are easily in the top 100 (add in associate member MIT, if you look at the "overall" rankings) - that's more than ten percent of the entire group.

On AGS, of course, we still suck.

Actaully, that's pretty impressive!

Rekdiver
October 22nd, 2010, 12:32 PM
Rankings.....I'm sure the Stanford Coach wil show prospective recruits this ranking and they will flock there...... Having said that I don't think anyone doubts the academic standing and value of an education in many of the top 10 institutions....but I can tell you that I worked (before I retired in 06) with a Harvard Law grad and a Duke MBA (and we arethe same age)and made the same money........and I have a B.S. in Social Studies........These rankings are pretty and sell magazines but mean nothing.

JaxSinfonian
October 22nd, 2010, 08:57 PM
I'd like to see the annual cost of attendance beside those rankings.

Bogus Megapardus
October 22nd, 2010, 09:09 PM
I'd like to see the annual cost of attendance beside those rankings.

The U.S. News & World Report rankings already factor in the cost and the average debt per student following graduation. The NCSA data would skew if tuition costs were factored twice.

If you want a quick, reliable source for actual costs at any institution (based on the common data set) go to UCan (http://www.ucan-network.org/). It's an excellent resource.

VT Wildcat Fan53
October 22nd, 2010, 11:02 PM

UNH is #15 public school in the ranking, including 3 Military academies, ... not bad. And, this year, let's hope we do beat W&M in at least one competition, ....