PDA

View Full Version : Western Illinois

Fear the Bird
October 19th, 2010, 12:55 PM
I posted this in another thread but nothing took so I'll give the topic its own

This team has rankings all over the place from fringe top 10 all the way down to 25. What gives? Was the 4 point loss at SDSU really that terrible?

SHSU and Indiana St. are everybody's fringe top 25 darlings this week. Well WIU beat the living crap out of both of them.

I'm just an "East Coast Bias" guy trying to figure out what I'm missing here so please discuss!

SalukiJim
October 19th, 2010, 01:04 PM
I think folks are waiting until they play the "traditional" powers of the conference. They're certainly getting there, we're just wanting to see if a team that went winless in conference play last year can make that big of a turnaround. So i am guessing that some voters are "show-me" types, waiting to see if they can pull off a win over the likes of UNI...I'm not doubting they are better but it's real hard to say at this point if they are 25th or 10th or 16th or whatever.

Sycamore51
October 19th, 2010, 01:14 PM
I agree with Jim, I think they are under rated though. They destroyed IN State, played with Purdue, and their only loss is on the road to a one time top ten team.

Fear the Bird
October 19th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Thanks for the conference insight boys, much appreciated

ST_Lawson
October 19th, 2010, 01:34 PM
Yea, compared to last year, we're VASTLY better. If you'd said two months ago that we'd be even considered in the discussions for top 25 in mid-season, I'd say you needed your head checked. My hope at the start of this season was to end up better than .500 (1 more win out of the 4 left and we'll do that). At this point I think we got lucky playing some teams early that ended up getting much better (I don't think we'd do quite as well against INSU or SHS if we played them now). We've ground out some tough wins (NDSU and YSU), and had some close losses that we potentially could have won if things had gone a little differently (SDSU and Purdue).

I've learned never to underestimate any MVFC team, even the "bottom feeders". If you don't fight for every game, you'll lose. We still have to face Missouri State (they did better against YSU than we did), Illinois State (they beat an SDSU team that gave us our only in-conference loss so far), Southern Illinois (an in-state rival that is always dangerous) and Northern Iowa (the perennial power of the MVFC/GFC who may have a young team, but still looks to be the one of the strongest in the conference).

I would be ecstatic if we went 4-0 the remainder of the season, but the fact is, we could easily lose some close, hard-fought games, and go 0-4 (like SDSU at the start of the season). At this point, I think that going 3-1 (losing to either SIU or UNI) is the most likely scenario for us. Which, hopefully, would still put is in a good position for either the conference championship or an at-large bid.

Da Coach
October 19th, 2010, 03:36 PM
I think folks are waiting until they play the "traditional" powers of the conference. They're certainly getting there, we're just wanting to see if a team that went winless in conference play last year can make that big of a turnaround. So i am guessing that some voters are "show-me" types, waiting to see if they can pull off a win over the likes of UNI...I'm not doubting they are better but it's real hard to say at this point if they are 25th or 10th or 16th or whatever.

Oh, Jim, I believe if you look at the history, WIU is one of your "traditional" powers. As a matter of history, SIU is a relatively new comer to the leader board. If memory serves me correct, I believe WIU "owned" SIU for like 18 years straight. Historically, UNI and WIU were always the teams battling for the championship of the conference and always among the nations best teams. Under WIU's former head coach, things went south for awhile, but in just one year it is more like the Leathernecks of old. If they can shore up their defense, their offense will play with anyone. This is not a "flash in the pan," it is just getting back to the days of yesteryear after a coach that was allowing the program to slip towards the bottom of the pack.

leatherneck177
October 19th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Oh, Jim, I believe if you look at the history, WIU is one of your "traditional" powers. As a matter of history, SIU is a relatively new comer to the leader board. If memory serves me correct, I believe WIU "owned" SIU for like 18 years straight. Historically, UNI and WIU were always the teams battling for the championship of the conference and always among the nations best teams. Under WIU's former head coach, things went south for awhile, but in just one year it is more like the Leathernecks of old. If they can shore up their defense, their offense will play with anyone. This is not a "flash in the pan," it is just getting back to the days of yesteryear after a coach that was allowing the program to slip towards the bottom of the pack.

Thank you! For all the credit that SIU gets (well deserved since 2003), everyone forgets how they were in the dumpster for a few decades prior. I get tired of hearing how the Leathernecks are always a middling program, when they actually have a very strong football tradition.

ST_Lawson
October 19th, 2010, 04:10 PM

That's very true. WIU made the playoffs in '88, '91, '96, '97 (2nd round), '98 (3rd round), '00, '02 (2nd round), and '03 (2nd Round). Since the early '00s, SIU has kinda taken over the other top position in the conference with UNI, but before that, SIU was really thought of more as one of the conference "bottom feeders", kinda like INSU has been thought of in recent years.

2002 was probably their best shot at making it all the way. First round was a 48-9 demolishing of Eastern Illinois, where the Western defense completely shut down Tony Romo and the EIU offense. Second round was a close 31-28 loss to eventual National Champion Western Kentucky (whom they beat in the regular season 14-0: http://www.nmnathletics.com/fls/12000/stats/football/2002/N-WIU-~1.HTM ). That game came down to a narrowly-missed 61-yard field goal by eventual NFL punter Mike Scifres. That was also the game that ended with the full-team fight on the field (http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/14/sports/colleges-ncaa-issues-suspensions.html) and is the reason that the following season, the conference instituted the pre-game full-team handshake at midfield.

The last few years haven't been so good, especially last year, but throughout history, WIU has had one of the best teams in the Gateway/Missouri Valley Football Conference.

Western_101
October 19th, 2010, 06:00 PM
I think what we are seeing in the polls with regards to Western is pretty typical. The Leathernecks had been down for a few years prior to this Season and I think there is a bit of a delayed reaction.....Programs that are typically good, are in at the forefront of peoples minds and so after WIU had kinda fell into relative obscurity the last few years it takes a little time for some to warm up to the Idea that this is a legitimate contender. WIU should be in the top 10, but I am completely OK with the fact they are not, I even understand it to a point.

SalukiJim
October 19th, 2010, 06:44 PM

Oh, believe me, I remember us not beating Western for something like 17 years in a row. I was referring to more recent history...no slam intended! I remember many years losing 7,8, 9 games, and was just trying to explain the recent history to mr. Hen. (Mr. Hen, is that possible?)

SalukiJim
October 19th, 2010, 06:45 PM
I think what we are seeing in the polls with regards to Western is pretty typical. The Leathernecks had been down for a few years prior to this Season and I think there is a bit of a delayed reaction.....Programs that are typically good, are in at the forefront of peoples minds and so after WIU had kinda fell into relative obscurity the last few years it takes a little time for some to warm up to the Idea that this is a legitimate contender. WIU should be in the top 10, but I am completely OK with the fact they are not, I even understand it to a point.

THAT's what i was trying to say, you just said it better! xthumbsupx

Jacked_Rabbit
October 19th, 2010, 07:05 PM
I agree with SalukiJim and Western 101 - if the Leathernecks continue to pile up victories, we'll see them climb up the rankings in a hurry now that some of the voters have forgot last season's results. With Barr at the helm, Western has the ability to beat just about anyone.

If WIU beats SIU on the road and UNI at home, I believe they'll finish the regular season in the Top 8... Split those games and you'll probably end up around 15th - 18th... Lose both contests and you'll be scratching and clawing to finish the year ranked...