PDA

View Full Version : Hofstra at Marshall on 9/9/06

JMU Duke Dog
February 7th, 2006, 03:38 PM
http://www.dailymail.com/news/Sports/2006020746/

HUNTINGTON - As expected, Marshall University has filled the non-conference portion of its 2006 football schedule with an NCAA Division I-AA opponent.

The Herd will host Hofstra on Sept. 9 here at Edwards Stadium.

It will mark the second time in four seasons that Hofstra has visited Huntington. MU defeated the Pride, 45-21, in the 2003 season-opener.

OL FU
February 7th, 2006, 04:01 PM
I will be pulling for the boys in blue (more than you can imagine)

blukeys
February 7th, 2006, 05:39 PM
I will be pulling for the boys in blue (more than you can imagine)

I have not been to beautiful Huntington W. Va but those I know who have made the trip describe it as a journey through Dante's 7 circles of Hell.

I have heard consistently that Marshall fans are the most obnoxious, ignorant, unkempt, smelly, toothless individuals they have ever seen. So much for the Women, I heard the Men are worse!!!

One friend of mine who played for Eastern Kentucky back in their glory days said players never remove their helmets while on the sidelines as anything can be thrown at you and Marshall fans can spit long distances past their tooth.

I am curious if any SoCon old timers remember the reports or have first hand knowledge of Marshall. Have I been told the truth is there some exageration.

OL FU
February 8th, 2006, 07:28 AM
I have not been to beautiful Huntington W. Va but those I know who have made the trip describe it as a journey through Dante's 7 circles of Hell.

I have heard consistently that Marshall fans are the most obnoxious, ignorant, unkempt, smelly, toothless individuals they have ever seen. So much for the Women, I heard the Men are worse!!!

One friend of mine who played for Eastern Kentucky back in their glory days said players never remove their helmets while on the sidelines as anything can be thrown at you and Marshall fans can spit long distances past their tooth.

I am curious if any SoCon old timers remember the reports or have first hand knowledge of Marshall. Have I been told the truth is there some exageration.

I went to Huntington once. I can't say it was as bad as you described above, but it is the only opponents stadium that as I left I swore I would never return. The accusations you hear Baldy and I-AA 2005 swap on GSU and ASU are mild by comparison. I am pretty thick skinned. But I have never been sworn at so often in my life and not the kinda of kidding around swearing. The only thing that made feel good was while the gangs were swarming I could look them in the eye and say. "We beat you Bastages" 1988 was the year.

But my hatred start earlier with basketball. The SoCon tourney was held in Asheville and the Herd flooded the place with $2bills and a bad attitude. The only good part about that was when the NCAA put them on probation for buying their players.

I realize that the 1996 Marchall team may have been the best ever in I-AA. But with all the crap from their fans and bad pub Marshall got on basketball, (and this is just my opinion regardless of the facts), they bought the damn thing and every Georgia Southern team that won the NC is better than any damned team Marshall ever put on the fiedl.

: flamemad : flamemad : flamemad

I feel better. :o :D

PS, Did I tell you that I am glad they left the SoCon. and I am patiently waiting for them to return to their pre-glory day records of 0-11.

blukeys
February 8th, 2006, 08:55 AM
I went to Huntington once. I can't say it was as bad as you described above, but it is the only opponents stadium that as I left I swore I would never return. The accusations you hear Baldy and I-AA 2005 swap on GSU and ASU are mild by comparison. I am pretty thick skinned. But I have never been sworn at so often in my life and not the kinda of kidding around swearing. The only thing that made feel good was while the gangs were swarming I could look them in the eye and say. "We beat you Bastages" 1988 was the year.

But my hatred start earlier with basketball. The SoCon tourney was held in Asheville and the Herd flooded the place with $2bills and a bad attitude. The only good part about that was when the NCAA put them on probation for buying their players.

I realize that the 1996 Marchall team may have been the best ever in I-AA. But with all the crap from their fans and bad pub Marshall got on basketball, (and this is just my opinion regardless of the facts), they bought the damn thing and every Georgia Southern team that won the NC is better than any damned team Marshall ever put on the fiedl.

: flamemad : flamemad : flamemad

I feel better. :o :D

PS, Did I tell you that I am glad they left the SoCon. and I am patiently waiting for them to return to their pre-glory day records of 0-11.

A certain amount of hostility during the game is to be expected. It is considered home field advantage. The stories I have heard from credible individuals suggest that at Marshall the hostility goes far beyond the pale. Outright cursing and Nastiness directed towards opposing fans before during and after the games is not good natured taunting. Your post confirms much of what I have already heard.

Add to that my friends experience of having to wear a helmet at all times on the sidelines to avoid anything coming out of the stands including spit.

I have also heard that Huntington in general is just an unfriendly town from those who have spent some time there. I guess Southern hospitality ends at the W.Va. border.

OL FU
February 8th, 2006, 10:23 AM
A certain amount of hostility during the game is to be expected. It is considered home field advantage. The stories I have heard from credible individuals suggest that at Marshall the hostility goes far beyond the pale. Outright cursing and Nastiness directed towards opposing fans before during and after the games is not good natured taunting. Your post confirms much of what I have already heard.

Add to that my friends experience of having to wear a helmet at all times on the sidelines to avoid anything coming out of the stands including spit.

I have also heard that Huntington in general is just an unfriendly town from those who have spent some time there. I guess Southern hospitality ends at the W.Va. border.

1. West Virgina Sucks.
2. West Virgina is not Southern, it is claimed by no one and rightfully so.
3. Decent West Virginians are now living elsewhere.
4. Did I say that West Virginia sucks.
5. Almost Heaven my ass. John Denver was obviously on drugs or paid a lot of money to write that lie.
6. West Virginia Sucks.
7. I rather kiss Yosef's ass than endure Blundering Terd Green

AFter a moment of reflection and working on my sensitivy.

1. No disrepect to those involved in the recent tragedies in WV.
2. I realize my dislike for Marshall should not reflect on the entire state.
3. I have a good friend who attended Marshall, retired full bird Colonel in the US Army. One of the best guys I have ever met. And at least every four times I see him I ask, "Are you sure you went to Marshall?"

blukeys
February 8th, 2006, 12:21 PM
5. Almost Heaven my ass. John Denver was obviously on drugs or paid a lot of money to write that lie.

I think that was during Denver's drug days. :nod:

Uncle Buck
February 8th, 2006, 01:06 PM
I went down to Marshall the last time Hofstra played them and all i can say is that it was an interesting trip. The fans were, well, excited about their team and they showed a lot of, errr, emotion. As for the city itself, uggh, although the all-star cafe or whatever it's called was fun. I know I said I would never go back, but in the spirit of a road trip, just maybe.

I do have to add that the best experience of the trip was heading into some convenience store by the hotel where two young ladies wearing Marshall shirts greeted my buddy and I. I asked for directions to some place and they just chuckled and asked if I was from around there. :confused:

OL FU
February 8th, 2006, 03:18 PM
I went down to Marshall the last time Hofstra played them and all i can say is that it was an interesting trip. The fans were, well, excited about their team and they showed a lot of, errr, emotion. As for the city itself, uggh, although the all-star cafe or whatever it's called was fun. I know I said I would never go back, but in the spirit of a road trip, just maybe.
I do have to add that the best experience of the trip was heading into some convenience store by the hotel where two young ladies wearing Marshall shirts greeted my buddy and I. I asked for directions to some place and they just chuckled and asked if I was from around there. :confused:

Not me not ever.

blukeys
February 8th, 2006, 05:57 PM

And their price was ?????????

Did they charge more if they started off in Hofstra shirts?????

And Most important, Did they look athltetic enough that they could outrun their brothers??????? :nod: xlolx xlolx