View Full Version : UTSA Update

TexasTerror
October 18th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Some updates from UTSA - the biggest thing is the radio. Can you imagine them having a substantial radio network that blankets most of central and southern Texas?

I'd be curious what other schools in the state have a substantial radio market besides the Big 12 ones. Doubt Rice does and figure SMU, TCU do not either...

Suites - Study said they'd be able to nine or 10. The University has a commitment to 28

Sponsorships - UTSA is the first university in Texas to sign on with Nelligan. Nelligan says they are nearing six or seven major deals.

Radio - UTSA is targeting a radio network that goes into Corpus Christi, Rio Grande Valley and perhaps even into Mexico. The University plans to add a Spanish-language network after they get the English language network going.

More info can be found in this thread that includes other notes from the San Antonio Business News...

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163987

DFW HOYA
October 18th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Some updates from UTSA - the biggest thing is the radio. Can you imagine them having a substantial radio network that blankets most of central and southern Texas? I'd be curious what other schools in the state have a substantial radio market besides the Big 12 ones. Doubt Rice does and figure SMU, TCU do not either...

Rice has one station (college radio). SMU has one station (broadcast), TCU has five.

All but three I-AA schools have at least one radio affiliate.

TexasTerror
October 18th, 2010, 08:24 PM
All but three I-AA schools have at least one radio affiliate.

Which are those?

Anyone know how many TXST has right now and what their proliferation is? Seems they'd be interested in gaining some in the 'ground game' and securing networks outside of their immediate vicinity...

DFW HOYA
October 18th, 2010, 08:25 PM
Which are those?

Georgetown (Patriot)
Wagner (NEC)
Sacred Heart (NEC)

centexguy
October 18th, 2010, 08:36 PM
Lamar has their games broadcast on KLVI, the local AM radio station that is pretty powerful. I live right outside of Austin and I can pick up their broadcasts most nights, although it does tend to fade in and out. They've been broadcasting Lamar's basketball and baseball games for a long time.

purplejacks
October 19th, 2010, 10:50 PM
San Antonio Texas, city of 4 million people.... when you go the UTSA website, their MBB program radio site is an AM station ! If that is all the excitement they can generate is an AM station, good luck. MBB is their flagship sports program next to women's softball just to clarify things.

dirty bird
October 20th, 2010, 09:32 AM
San Antonio Texas, city of 4 million people.....

Wrong.
Its a metro of 2.1 million, with a 40 year old school fieldling team sports since 1990. The marketing firm we have is - from what I've read - gathering ways to enhance the SA market and exploit others. I doubt an AM station will be the only stop on the radio. As for MBB, everyone knows the Spurs are the biggest show in town. They've won 4 championships over the course of 11 years. Everyone here is more excited about the Spurs than any other collegiate basketball team, including the University Of Texas's MBB.

panama
October 20th, 2010, 12:19 PM
I think they (UTSA) have a chance to be huge. There are so many people in San Antonio and the Rio Grande Valley especially who have rooted for Texas for so long just because there is no other FBS team around. UTSA is closer and has a chance to fill a void with a lot of those bandwagon fans. Also, brilliant move going with Spanish language radio market as well. There are plenty of American Football fans in Northern Mexico. A lot of people dont realize that they play football there from youth leagues to club level up to college football. My wife is from the McAllen/Pharr/San Juan/Alamo area and I know that when people from there and Laredo and the rest of the Valley take weekend trips its usually to Corpus or San Antonio. So now in a football crazy region they have another reason to head to San Antonio for the weekend.

TexasTerror
October 20th, 2010, 02:07 PM
I think they (UTSA) have a chance to be huge. There are so many people in San Antonio and the Rio Grande Valley especially who have rooted for Texas for so long just because there is no other FBS team around. UTSA is closer and has a chance to fill a void with a lot of those bandwagon fans. Also, brilliant move going with Spanish language radio market as well. There are plenty of American Football fans in Northern Mexico. A lot of people dont realize that they play football there from youth leagues to club level up to college football. My wife is from the McAllen/Pharr/San Juan/Alamo area and I know that when people from there and Laredo and the rest of the Valley take weekend trips its usually to Corpus or San Antonio. So now in a football crazy region they have another reason to head to San Antonio for the weekend.

Monterrey Tech - both the HS and the college - has routinely played games in Texas against HS and college teams. It hink the sport of football is growing as you stated with the Hispanic population as well into Mexico.

Wonder how many FBS schools out there have a Spanish language radio. There may be several markets willing to pick it up to provide their listeners sports' programming, since there is a nice concentration of Spanish language radio in different parts of Texas.

dirty bird
October 20th, 2010, 02:44 PM
Monterrey Tech - both the HS and the college - has routinely played games in Texas against HS and college teams. It hink the sport of football is growing as you stated with the Hispanic population as well into Mexico.

Wonder how many FBS schools out there have a Spanish language radio. There may be several markets willing to pick it up to provide their listeners sports' programming, since there is a nice concentration of Spanish language radio in different parts of Texas.

As a matter of fact, many of the teams that play in the ONEFA league [Mexican NCAA Football equivalent] are from northern Mexico, and quite a few of them recruit in Texas - particularly Mexican American talent along the border.

I'm sure the Arizona schools, SoCal schools and maybe Miami area schools would do quite well broadcasting in Spanish. While it's true that Spanish speaking people prefer soccer, a great majority of them enjoy American basketball and American football [e.g. 2005 Az Cardinals vs SF 49ers in front of 103 thousand fans in Mexico City].

panama
October 20th, 2010, 04:05 PM
The Mexican college football leagues have a long history going back to the 1920's. This why the Oilers and the Cowboys used to play a preseason game in Mexico City. Its a very popular sport among the educated college crowd in Mexico.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexican_College_Football

As a matter of fact, many of the teams that play in the ONEFA league [Mexican NCAA Football equivalent] are from northern Mexico, and quite a few of them recruit in Texas - particularly Mexican American talent along the border.

I'm sure the Arizona schools, SoCal schools and maybe Miami area schools would do quite well broadcasting in Spanish. While it's true that Spanish speaking people prefer soccer, a great majority of them enjoy American basketball and American football [e.g. 2005 Az Cardinals vs SF 49ers in front of 103 thousand fans in Mexico City].

El Gato
October 20th, 2010, 05:46 PM

I grew up in the valley, and my family still resides there. Pretty much accurate information. Everyone down there are crazy UT fans. Although Texas State is just starting to make a presence down there like I haven't seen before.

TexasTerror
October 21st, 2010, 08:02 PM
No surprise here, but symbolic and another reason for UTSA to get some headlines in San Antonio again (which is never a bad thing - if for positive purposes)...

SAN ANTONIO — The San Antonio City Council approved Thursday a contract allowing UTSA to play its home football games in the Alamodome during its first five seasons.

The contract ensures the Roadrunners will host contests in the 65,000-seat facility beginning with its inaugural season in 2011 and extending through 2015. The contract also includes a provision for two one-year renewal options.

“We are extremely pleased to be playing our home games in one of the best football stadiums in the country,” UTSA Director of Athletics Lynn Hickey said. “Our contract with the City is a true partnership in bringing big time college football to our community.”

Mayor Julian Castro and members of the City Council joined Hickey in praising the partnership to bring a permanent football tenant to the Alamodome.

http://www.goutsa.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205016356&DB_OEM_ID=13100

FormerPokeCenter
October 26th, 2010, 10:37 AM
I grew up in the valley, and my family still resides there. Pretty much accurate information. Everyone down there are crazy UT fans. Although Texas State is just starting to make a presence down there like I haven't seen before.

What part of the Valley?

I'm a Corpus kid, but I did some hard time in the Valley, bouncing around South Padre, Port Isabel, San Benito and Harlingen.

[Okay, so it wasn't really "hard time" but it sure felt that way ;)]

dirty bird
October 26th, 2010, 11:21 AM
What part of the Valley?

bouncing around South Padre, Port Isabel

Awesome - I have a time share at SPI and whether its deep sea fishing or drinking on the beach...I can't say enough good things about the place.
Unless there's a hurricane approaching, of course.

panama
October 26th, 2010, 12:33 PM
SPI is hardly hard time. Now once you start talking Harlingen, San Juan, Pharr, Weslaco, San Benito, Progreso, La Feria, Donna and Alamo...well it can be a culture shock the first time you go down there. It's grown on me after 12 years of going down there though.

..and Corpus is a GREAT town.

What part of the Valley?

I'm a Corpus kid, but I did some hard time in the Valley, bouncing around South Padre, Port Isabel, San Benito and Harlingen.

McNeese75
October 26th, 2010, 12:48 PM

Small world, I am a graduate of PSJA High (back when there was only 1, LOL) and lived in San Juan all during my youth.

panama
October 26th, 2010, 12:56 PM
My wife went to PSJA when it was only one! I must add for her benefit a "Go Bears"

Her family were the only Cuban family in San Juan. My Mother in Law still lives there.

Small world, I am a graduate of PSJA High (back when there was only 1, LOL) and lived in San Juan all during my youth.

TexasTerror
October 30th, 2010, 07:23 PM
UTSA looking to add some JUCO kids to help bolster their roster for the quick move to FBS...

Specifically, how can the Roadrunners inject their team, scheduled to begin play next fall largely as freshmen, with veteran talent in preparation for a jump that would put them in the Football Bowl Subdivision in just two years?

To answer that question, several coaches have spent a chunk of this week's recruiting period fanning out to junior colleges across the country: recruiting coordinator Eric Roark in the Los Angeles area, offensive line coach Jim Marshall in Northern California and defensive coordinator Neal Neathery in Kansas.

Roark, who said he hoped to identify up to 30 prospects during his three-day trip to L.A., said their efforts boil down to two factors: maturity and mathematics.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/college/utsa_insider_roadrunners_looking_to_junior_college _ranks_106278028.html

SFA 71
October 30th, 2010, 08:13 PM

Small world indeed. I was the tennis coach at Alice HS from 1972 until 1976 & made trips to the valley in both the Fall & Spring. We played at Brownsville, when there was only one high school, & at Harlingen, PSJA, McAllen, Edinburg, CC, Robstown, Kingsville and Falfurrias. I probably saw you on the playground in elementary school when I was down there. I didn't care much for CC because the five schools there (King, Miller, Moody, Ray & Carroll) would gang up against Alice & Kingsville on any issue.xchinscratchx

El Gato
October 30th, 2010, 08:36 PM
What part of the Valley?

From La Joya....my wifr though is from Harlingen and I have lots of family from my moms side in Harlingen as well.

Line Judge
November 1st, 2010, 01:17 PM
Small world indeed. I was the tennis coach at Alice HS from 1972 until 1976 & made trips to the valley in both the Fall & Spring. We played at Brownsville, when there was only one high school, & at Harlingen, PSJA, McAllen, Edinburg, CC, Robstown, Kingsville and Falfurrias. I probably saw you on the playground in elementary school when I was down there. I didn't care much for CC because the five schools there (King, Miller, Moody, Ray & Carroll) would gang up against Alice & Kingsville on any issue.xchinscratchx

They were just getting Alice back for pulling the Ballot Box 13 Shennanigans in 1948 that got LBJ elected to the senate....202 votes, in alphabetical order, cast right before the polls closed, and they all signed in with same color ink and in the same handwriting. Many of those people were dead at the time of the election, BTW. LBJ won by 87 votes.

Funny that happened in Roy Miller country (LBJ's political mentor) and for whom one of the 5 Corpus High Schools is named. If you dig deep enough, you'll find that Miller's mentor had two sons on the Jim Wells County Commission and on the voter canvassing boards then, and that Miller's Mentor's brother in law represented LBJ during the Election Contest in the courts. Of course, the UT Law Library is now named after that guy. Funny how that works, ya know? ;)

Sly Fox
November 1st, 2010, 02:11 PM
Since we are stating our South Texas ties ... I spent six and a half years covering sports for a Corpus TV station. My wife has family in the valley so we head down there regularly.

panama
November 2nd, 2010, 08:04 AM
This thread is making me jones for some greasy gas station breakfast taquitos and burritos.

TexasTerror
November 8th, 2010, 03:03 PM
First major sponsor...

SAN ANTONIO — Nelligan Sports Marketing (NSM) and the UTSA Athletics Department announced Monday that they have reached a multi-year sponsorship agreement with State Farm Insurance.

“State Farm is proud to be a sponsor of UTSA Athletics,” State Farm Marketing Manager Ronnie Lee Vandiver said. “We are pleased to align ourselves with a program such as UTSA that supports the competiveness, sportsmanship and leadership among student-athletes. It is an exciting time to be a part of UTSA Athletics with the upcoming inaugural football season. We are glad to be a part of this program, as this campus embarks on a new tradition for its faculty, students and alumni.”

“We are thrilled to have State Farm as a sponsor and are proud to be associated with a company that has an unparalleled commitment to education and our youth,” UTSA Athletics Director Lynn Hickey said. “We look forward to a mutually-beneficial partnership with State Farm for many years to come.”

http://www.goutsa.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205025439&DB_OEM_ID=13100

TexasTerror
November 8th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Of note..

Trips to Houston, Georgia State and Colorado State for 'game visits'
4000 season tix sold
Presentation to the WAC and positive comments - 'stay tuned' and they will report back to the fans with details.

http://www.goutsa.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=55717&SPID=5992&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205025679&DB_OEM_ID=13100

TexasTerror
November 8th, 2010, 03:08 PM
WAC on the agenda at Texas Board of Regents meeting...

An addendum had been made to the agenda for this week's UT Board of Regents meeting that includes items regarding UTSA's likely move to the Western Athletic Conference.

Specifically, UTSA will "discuss and appropriate action regarding legal issues concerning athletic conference membership" with the board's attorneys on Wednesday.

On Thursday, UTSA will "discuss and appropriate action regarding possible change in athletic conference membership" with the board itself in an open session at noon. University president Dr. Ricardo Romo is listed with the item.

http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/utsa/2010/11/wac-conclusion-this-week.html

McNeese75
November 8th, 2010, 08:56 PM

Well then I am sure you know Coach Charlie Williams. He was my head HS football coach at PSJA and went to Alice in 73 or 74 for a few years. His son was my best friend in HS and is a Orthopedic Super Doc in Longview, Tx (sports medicine of course)

NoCoDanny
November 8th, 2010, 09:24 PM
A bit off topic but what is UTSA's basketball facility like?

chrisattsu
November 8th, 2010, 11:12 PM
A bit off topic but what is UTSA's basketball facility like?

The Convocation Center (AKA- The Bird Cage) is not that great. It only holds about 5000 people.
http://www.utsa.edu/today/images/athletics/basketball/homecoming06.jpg

That being said, rumor has it that UTSA is attempting to leverage the San Antonio tax base to develop a new multi-use arena that would be a joint venture between Northside ISD and UTSA.

Likewise, their baseball facility (AKA - The Bird Bath) only holds about 400. There is talk about working with the local Double-A affiliate to create a new ballpark on the NW side that they might be able to use.

It will be interesting to see if either of these pan out. I have no doubt that Hickey (their AD) is working her magic to get these projects done.

msusig
November 8th, 2010, 11:37 PM
The Convocation Center (AKA- The Bird Cage) is not that great. It only holds about 5000 people.
http://www.utsa.edu/today/images/athletics/basketball/homecoming06.jpg

That being said, rumor has it that UTSA is attempting to leverage the San Antonio tax base to develop a new multi-use arena that would be a joint venture between Northside ISD and UTSA.

Likewise, their baseball facility (AKA - The Bird Bath) only holds about 400. There is talk about working with the local Double-A affiliate to create a new ballpark on the NW side that they might be able to use.

It will be interesting to see if either of these pan out. I have no doubt that Hickey (their AD) is working her magic to get these projects done.

So when is Tarleton State and West Texas A&M going to move up?

chrisattsu
November 9th, 2010, 12:41 PM
So when is Tarleton State and West Texas A&M going to move up?

At this point, I am not sure if either is interested in moving up. Posted this on the D2 board--http://www.d2messageboard.com/showthread.php?t=35929

There is an assumed familiarity with these teams on the Lone Star Conference board. I will add extra information in [ ]-form

"The SLC Commish says that it is a "foregone conclusion" that they are losing TXST and UTSA.

The league will lose its two largest institutions and the media/recruiting foothold in South and Central Texas. With the two western-most teams gone, the league can refocus what it wants to be. They could push east now and take Gulf South teams that are looking to move up. Or they could try to reload in Texas. I don't know what impact that really has except that the Frisco-based league will only have two members west of Greater Houston (and neither intend to add football).

The problem with the Texas route is who would they take?
UIW [Incarnate Word] is just getting off the ground, and considered SLC only if the LSC did not come knocking. They have money [N.O. Saints Owner Tom Benson wrote a blank check for their football team] and a media market [rich neighborhood in San Antonio], but they make the jump?

Tarleton expressed interest previously when McCabe was President. Now that Dottavio is in charge and has created an $800M Campus master plan, does he really want to divert money in athletics?

It was commented here years ago that the West Texas schools like beating up on each other. There is little interest in trading games between WT [West Texas A&M], ACU [Abilene Christian], ASU [Angelo State], and even MSU [Midwestern State] for trips across the Sabine.

The Javs [A&M Kingsville] and Lions [A&M Commerce] make the most sense. They fit the existing footprint geographically and they have former rivalries with Sam, SFA, and Lamar. Plus the Javelinas would love to play Corpus. [Kingsville is 30 miles south of Corpus Christi. They share a media market, and there is animosity between the school schools since they are in the same system and recruit the same geographic areas].

After Texas State and UTSA leave, the league is still pretty large. I don't see them taking 4 teams unless they lose a couple more teams (either FBS move ups, or financial move downs).

FCS, like D2 is very popular in the east, but struggles out west. West of the Mississippi there are only 4 conferences- The Big Sky (Arizona to Montana), The Missouri Valley Football Conference (Dakota to Missouri to Ohio), the Great West (A conference of misfit toys stretching from Cali to Dakotas to UTPA), and the Southland. "

Why would WT or Abilene want to jump in a league where their closest football game is Huntsville and most games will occur in Louisiana?
Why would WT want to trade national contention in all sports for FCS?

SFA 71
November 9th, 2010, 04:15 PM
Well then I am sure you know Coach Charlie Williams. He was my head HS football coach at PSJA and went to Alice in 73 or 74 for a few years.

Sure. He hired me. He was there in 1972 - 73 & 1973 - 74. .

McNeese75
November 9th, 2010, 05:46 PM
Sure. He hired me. He was there in 1972 - 73 & 1973 - 74. .

Again, small world xnodx

msusig
November 9th, 2010, 08:40 PM
Option 1 go North
North: Central Arkansas, Arkansas Tech, SFA, Texas A&M - Commerce, Witchita State, Missouri State
South: McNeese State, Lamar, Sam Houston, Northwestern, Southeastern, Nicholls

Option 2 go West
East: McNeese State, Lamar, Central Arkansas, Northwestern, Southeastern, Nicholls
West: Sam Houston, SFA, UTA, Tarleton State, West Texas A&M, Texas A&M - Commerce

Option 3 go East
West: McNeese, Lamar, Sam Houston, Northwestern St, SFA, Central Arkansas
East: Southeastern, Nicholls, Samford, North Alabama, Florida A&M, West Florida

TexasTerror
November 10th, 2010, 07:29 AM
Option 2 go West
East: McNeese State, Lamar, Central Arkansas, Northwestern, Southeastern, Nicholls
West: Sam Houston, SFA, UTA, Tarleton State, West Texas A&M, Texas A&M - Commerce

Most likely option - since schools in the first and third option would never lay their eyes on the SLC (i.e. Missouri State which wants FBS and Wichita State).

I'd prefer SHSU stay in a division with SFA and we all know Lamar does not mind going 'east' since it provides them the best opportunity to win a few games - particularly in basketball. ;)

msusig
November 10th, 2010, 09:21 AM
Most likely option - since schools in the first and third option would never lay their eyes on the SLC (i.e. Missouri State which wants FBS and Wichita State).

I'd prefer SHSU stay in a division with SFA and we all know Lamar does not mind going 'east' since it provides them the best opportunity to win a few games - particularly in basketball. ;)

I'm just throwing out names/possibilities according to location and enrollment. I would hope we could drag one or two FCS teams from other conferences so we don't load up on all Div 2 schools.

TexasTerror
November 10th, 2010, 11:42 AM
I'm just throwing out names/possibilities according to location and enrollment. I would hope we could drag one or two FCS teams from other conferences so we don't load up on all Div 2 schools.

There's no FCS teams to grab from other conferences... unless you grab from the SWAC or an upstart from somewhere, IMO.

TexasTerror
December 10th, 2010, 05:33 PM
Due to the WAC's inability to build a league... UTSA will play WAC football in '12...

Barring the unexpected addition of new football-playing members to the Western Athletic Conference, UTSA is planning to join its new league in all sports in 2012, athletic director Lynn Hickey said Thursday.

Slated to play its first football season next fall, UTSA will notify the NCAA in June 2011 of its intent to join the Football Bowl Subdivision.

Following a two-year “reclassification” period, in which they must average 15,000 fans per home game and 76.5 scholarships, the Roadrunners would be bowl-eligible FBS members in 2013, their third season.

That would make UTSA the youngest startup program to join college football’s top flight, two years faster than South Florida did it in 2001.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/college_sports/utsa/article/UTSA-to-join-WAC-in-all-sports-in-2012-872402.php

dirty bird
December 11th, 2010, 10:38 AM
UTSA has begun design and engineering of a new $84 million competitive athletic complex on a 125-acre Park. Apparently, when all phases of the complex are completed, the 60-acre venue will be the most versatile and visited athletic complex in San Antonio.

Thes are some of the facilities
Baseball (5,000 seats) - Available summer months for youth tournaments.

Softball (2,200 seats) - Largest fast-pitch softball stadium in the County.

Soccer (5,000 seats) - Seating on both sides of soccer-only field.

Track (5,000 seats) - Designed for international competition.

Tennis (1,500 seats) - Suitable for tournaments and professional matches.

The complex also includes two separate practice facilities for UTSA's new football program [one grass/one turf] and a new 12,000 seat, $120 million Basketball Convocation Center.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/college_sports/utsa/article/UTSA-to-join-WAC-in-all-sports-in-2012-872402.php

TexasTerror
July 11th, 2011, 05:54 PM
No indication that they will broadcast games, but this is still a good deal - to get the weekly coach's show on a CBS affiliate in San Antonio...

SAN ANTONIO — UTSA Athletics and KENS 5 announced Monday that they have agreed to a five-year partnership that will make the area’s CBS affiliate UTSA’s official local television station.

The agreement includes a weekly coach’s show during football season, a presence at pregame football festivities at the Alamodome and cross promotions, including contests and giveaways.

“We’re a start-up business in football, and with that comes a lot of first-time expenses,” UTSA Athletics Director Lynn Hickey said. “This partnership with KENS 5 is especially beneficial to us, because the joint promotions will help our ticket revenue stream without spending a lot of advertising dollars. This is a great situation for us and for KENS 5, and we look forward to working with them as we enter our first season of football.“

http://www.goutsa.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205180388&DB_OEM_ID=13100

TexasTerror
July 17th, 2011, 06:46 PM
The grand plan to get fans for UTSA...

http://www.mysanantonio.com/default/article/UTSA-s-grand-fan-plan-1469527.php

TexasTerror
August 4th, 2011, 08:36 PM
UTSA has sold 9,101 season tickets to date...

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/utsa/2011/08/season-ticket-update-9101-sold/

crossfire07
August 4th, 2011, 08:42 PM
I figured they would sell a lot being the only game in town.

TexasTerror
August 5th, 2011, 07:30 AM
I figured they would sell a lot being the only game in town.

I think they'll get a lot of walk-ups for the first game. If they can maintain a solid 'buzz' and continually average upwards of 20,000 people - that'd be a great thing for them.

Sly Fox
August 5th, 2011, 08:03 AM
They may technically be the only game in town but not by much. I-35 is loaded with Alamo City residents heading north for games every Saturday.

TheRevSFA
August 5th, 2011, 08:13 AM
Given what UT did last year, UTSA might have a chance at bringing in non die-hard UT fans.

DG Cowboy
August 5th, 2011, 10:07 AM
9,100 season tickets in a Top 10 U.S. Population city from which fans previously had to travel to FBS games. Sorry, but I think that's terrible.

TexasTerror
August 5th, 2011, 10:18 AM
9,100 season tickets in a Top 10 U.S. Population city from which fans previously had to travel to FBS games. Sorry, but I think that's terrible.

The schedule is not attractive and I still believe they'll have decent 'just prior to season' sales and walk-ups. It may not be as bad once they 'rev' it up. How many season tickets did South Alabama sell in year one?

TexasTerror
August 5th, 2011, 10:20 AM
By the way - story from USA Today that ran three days ago...

Larry Coker is a long way from Coral Gables, Fla., where he won a national championship a decade ago as coach of the Miami Hurricanes. In the years since, he lost that position, then worked as a television analyst. His latest challenge is to build a program from the ground up in an area that loves football but really has never had a team to call its own.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/independent1aa/2011-08-02-coker-starts-fresh-at-texas-san-antonio_n.htm

DG Cowboy
August 5th, 2011, 10:50 AM
USA 2010 sales 8,433. 500 ahead for this year so far. So UTSA is 200 more than the Mobile population sales for 2011, and 700 ahead of USA's first year.

crossfire07
August 5th, 2011, 12:45 PM
They may technically be the only game in town but not by much. I-35 is loaded with Alamo City residents heading north for games every Saturday.

They sure wasn't stopping in San Marcos. xnodx

TexasTerror
August 19th, 2011, 08:26 PM
A nice bit of change... a big name getting involved in UTSA program...

San Antonio billionaire B.J. “Red” McCombs said Friday he will donate $1 million to UTSA, while challenging other community leaders to raise another $2 million, toward the construction of practice facilities for the football team.

McCombs made his announcement at a Chamber of Commerce function announcing the start of a ticket drive to sell out the Alamodome for the Sept. 3 opener. McCombs said he will purchase 1,000 tickets for distribution around the city.

UTSA officials hope to build two practice fields with lights at the developing Park West athletic center. Estimates for the cost have varied between $2 and $3 million. Athletic director Lynn Hickey said UTSA might be able to build a temporary team building as well.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/utsa/2011/08/mccombs-announces-1-million-gift-towards-practice-facility/

Longhorn
August 20th, 2011, 01:38 PM
A nice bit of change... a big name getting involved in UTSA program...

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/utsa/2011/08/mccombs-announces-1-million-gift-towards-practice-facility/

I find it interesting that Coker is being tight-lipped about the unfolding scandal in Miami....but I doubt he can stay out of it if the activities of the illegal booster involve several years of Coker's years there as HC.

Sly Fox
August 20th, 2011, 03:04 PM
Red donates a great deal to his alma mater Southwestern as well as to UT. So it is not surprising to see him stepping up to give the Roadrunners a boost.

As for Coker, you get the feeling that he is just trying to keep his head down hoping everyone will forget about him.

Longhorn
August 20th, 2011, 06:16 PM
Red donates a great deal to his alma mater Southwestern as well as to UT. So it is not surprising to see him stepping up to give the Roadrunners a boost.

As for Coker, you get the feeling that he is just trying to keep his head down hoping everyone will forget about him.

McCombs made all his original money in San Antonio by selling Fords to GIs. As did Tom Benson...altho Tom made it selling Chevy's to GIs. They both owe a great deal to SA...including promises to help bring an NFL franchise to town!!! (Hear that Red? Hear that Tom??? Ha!)

Sly Fox
August 20th, 2011, 08:09 PM
Hey, both guys tried. And while Red originally got started with selling Edsels and beyond, he made his big money through Clear Channel.

Longhorn
August 21st, 2011, 07:58 AM
Hey, both guys tried. And while Red originally got started with selling Edsels and beyond, he made his big money through Clear Channel.

Well, they need to keep trying, because the job's not done. If one can own the Vikings (and Spurs at one time) and the other the Saints, they can make it happen.

Sly Fox
August 21st, 2011, 04:53 PM
Unfortunately there is barely enough corporate support in San Antonio to keep the Spurs float. There is no way either the Vikings or Saints were able to stay in the dumpy Alamodome for anything more than their brief forays while their home domes were damaged.

Longhorn
August 22nd, 2011, 01:01 PM
Unfortunately there is barely enough corporate support in San Antonio to keep the Spurs float. There is no way either the Vikings or Saints were able to stay in the dumpy Alamodome for anything more than their brief forays while their home domes were damaged.

Alamodome "dumpy"? Hmmm...it's not my favorite pro venue by a long shot, but as another HOK designed stadium it's far from "dumpy"... perhaps you've mixed it up with Alamo Stadium? The WPA era project that serves the San Antonio School District? The Alamodome was designed as a multi-purpose professional venue seating 65k, and towards that end it does a nice job. Were SA to get a NFL team, upgrades would certainly be part of the package. As it stands, the Alamodome is of the same cut of cloth, just a little newer, than the Georgia Dome. Nothing fancy, and your label of "dumpy" displays either an arrogant bias or ignorance that doesn't really fit.

TexasTerror
August 28th, 2011, 05:58 PM
SAN ANTONIO (AP) — Welcome to big-time college football, Texas-San Antonio Roadrunners.

Sort of.

"It's kind of like going from a Cadillac to an economy car," said former Oklahoma State offensive lineman Patrick Hoog, who transferred to UTSA this fall. "But it's still going to get me where I want to go."

The fifth new Division I team in the last three years, UTSA will officially join the recent bonanza of college football startups when the Roadrunners play their first game Saturday. They stand alone as this season's sole newcomer to the championship subdivision the highest level the NCAA allows for first-year programs.

http://www.chron.com/sports/article/Coker-UTSA-start-fast-climb-into-college-football-2145073.php

alvinkayak6
August 28th, 2011, 06:29 PM
Larry Coker interview -- Says dimmer expectations are in order

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PXOre3_KaE

alvinkayak6
August 28th, 2011, 06:37 PM
The SLC Commish says that it is a "foregone conclusion" that they are losing TXST and UTSA.

They already accepted invites to the WAC didn't they?

TexasTerror
August 29th, 2011, 06:09 AM
They already accepted invites to the WAC didn't they?

Correct... that's a link from a longtime ago.

TexasTerror
September 3rd, 2011, 08:19 AM
Good news for the Roadrunners, as you figure at some point, LHN will be available more regularly... invaluable exposure for a UT system school.

UTSA has reached an agreement for its final five home football games to be broadcast on the Longhorn Network, multiple sources told the Express-News on Friday.

UTSA athletic director Lynn Hickey and a spokesperson for the Longhorn Network declined comment.

The Roadrunners play their inaugural game at 1 p.m. today at the Alamodome against Northeastern State.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/college_sports/utsa/article/Sources-UTSA-football-on-Longhorn-Network-2153941.php

panama
September 3rd, 2011, 12:03 PM
Alamodome "dumpy"? Hmmm...it's not my favorite pro venue by a long shot, but as another HOK designed stadium it's far from "dumpy"... perhaps you've mixed it up with Alamo Stadium? The WPA era project that serves the San Antonio School District? The Alamodome was designed as a multi-purpose professional venue seating 65k, and towards that end it does a nice job. Were SA to get a NFL team, upgrades would certainly be part of the package. As it stands, the Alamodome is of the same cut of cloth, just a little newer, than the Georgia Dome. Nothing fancy, and your label of "dumpy" displays either an arrogant bias or ignorance that doesn't really fit.They have also done some pretty recent renovations to the Alamodome. I doubt "dumpy" is the proper adjective.

Longhorn
September 3rd, 2011, 06:54 PM
UTSA set a record forfirst game attendance for a start-up today...56,743 was announced at the game. Congrats to the Roadrunners on their first game and win!

49RFootballNow
September 3rd, 2011, 07:22 PM
UTSA set a record forfirst game attendance for a start-up today...56,743 was announced at the game. Congrats to the Roadrunners on their first game and win!

That's huge.

TexasTerror
September 4th, 2011, 06:54 AM

Pictures anyone?

dirty bird
September 4th, 2011, 09:27 AM
Not my pic or vids, but I was there and if I had to guess the end zones upper decks were the only levels at half capacity.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e31/syersj/UTSAgame1.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e31/syersj/UTSAgame2.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e31/syersj/UTSAgame3.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybY2cJmYYTQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruYAMJuuihc

TexasTerror
September 4th, 2011, 10:16 AM
San Antonio Express-News photo gallery...

http://www.mysanantonio.com/slideshows/sports/slideshow/UTSA-vs-Northeastern-State-30670.php

TexasTerror
September 4th, 2011, 10:17 AM
It's First and Fantastic for UTSA...

They won their first coin flip. Returned their first kickoff to midfield. And scored their first touchdown.

Their first splash of Gatorade hit their coach a few hours later, too.

Everything fell right for the UTSA Roadrunners on Saturday, just as everything else seemingly has. That's why their first game wasn't just a first game. It foretold what is possible.

Given the city and facility they play in, and given what is being reshaped in college football around them today, what is their ceiling?

Read more: http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/columnists/buck_harvey/article/It-s-first-and-fantastic-for-UTSA-2155024.php#ixzz1WztQV47T

Sly Fox
September 4th, 2011, 08:30 PM
Wow, Buck certainly got caught up in the moment. Haha

TexasTerror
September 4th, 2011, 08:50 PM
Question going forward is sustainability...

If UTSA can continue to draw crowds of 25,30k + - that is a great sign for their program, particularly this year as they do not play a real Div I slate.

Now if they can start winning on the field, particularly in year #3 and #4 while drawing 25-30k +, one could contend they will have surpassed TXST as far as viability, attractiveness at the FBS level.

A few 'if' questions...

I honestly believe though that South Alabama, if they can start winning when the play a full Div I schedule - will easily surpass regional neighbor Tulane as well as other nearby schools as far as viability, attractiveness, etc..

dgtw
September 4th, 2011, 09:29 PM
I think South Alabama will have a solid program. They are in a weak league, so winning games won't be that hard. The nearest comprable program is Troy, no FCS schools in the area. They'll be better than Tulane, though I doubt they'd draw from the same pool of athletes anyway. Their coach is fairly young (around 50) and he is from Mobile, so he's not likely to leave.

TexasTerror
September 4th, 2011, 09:31 PM
I think South Alabama will have a solid program. They are in a weak league, so winning games won't be that hard. The nearest comprable program is Troy, no FCS schools in the area. They'll be better than Tulane, though I doubt they'd draw from the same pool of athletes anyway. Their coach is fairly young (around 50) and he is from Mobile, so he's not likely to leave.

Tulane has started making in-roads with kids in the New Orleans area. Figure South Alabama could recruit southern Mississippi and into New Orleans since it's not even two hours from door-to-door for most NOLA folks heading to South Alabama.

UTSA can definitely keep tabs on USA, see what works and does not work.

dgtw
September 4th, 2011, 09:39 PM
I figured Tulane's higher academic standards would keep away a lot of players. USA will definately make inroads into southern Mississippi and the New Orleans area.

Nice crowd for UTSA's first game. I wish them well.

TexasTerror
September 10th, 2011, 11:38 AM
Just saw a tweet from UTSA opponent McMurry...

UTSA has evidently sold 45k tickets BEFORE today and anticipate another crowd of over 50k.

dirty bird
September 10th, 2011, 11:50 AM
Wow, Buck certainly got caught up in the moment. Haha

I'm not too sure. See below.

Just saw a tweet from UTSA opponent McMurry...

UTSA has evidently sold 45k tickets BEFORE today and anticipate another crowd of over 50k.

50k for game two versus a "no namer" [and I mean that politely]. Of course we have to wait to the end of the season. to properly evaluate the program's attendance..but 100 thousand give or take for two games is pretty impressive.

McNeese75
September 10th, 2011, 11:56 AM
I would be interesting to see what the average price actually paid was for those 50,000 tickets was. Regardless, it is impressive and hopefully they can continue drawing that kind of crowd.

TexasTerror
September 10th, 2011, 12:12 PM
I would be interesting to see what the average price actually paid was for those 50,000 tickets was. Regardless, it is impressive and hopefully they can continue drawing that kind of crowd.

Even if you are giving away free tickets (and I am sure there are some corporations, individuals who bought some to allow that to happen) - it still is impressive to have a legit 40-50k butts in the seats.

McNeese75
September 10th, 2011, 02:09 PM
Well, lets see how many people show up next time if they lose to the team SFA beat 62-6 last week. McMurry is beating UTSA 10-0 right now with 4 minutes to go in the half. That is gonna really suck for the birds.

Looking at the box score, McMurry has driven the ball 63 and 86 yards to put points on the board.

crossfire07
September 10th, 2011, 02:12 PM
I am sure FCS schools are already lining up to play this soon to be FBS team. :)

TexasTerror
September 10th, 2011, 04:17 PM
McMurry wins 24-21...

I'm feeling a lot more confident about SHSU playing UTSA. Does UTSA count as a D1 win this year towards playoff eligibility????

McNeese75
September 10th, 2011, 04:18 PM
Yep, pretty sure they do.

Catatonic
September 10th, 2011, 05:08 PM
McMurry wins 24-21...

I'm feeling a lot more confident about SHSU playing UTSA. Does UTSA count as a D1 win this year towards playoff eligibility????

Well, duh....xnodx

McMurry is not even a full-fledged D2 team They are still transitioning from D3.

BamaJag13
September 10th, 2011, 07:35 PM
That's worse than losing to Lambuth.

Catatonic
September 10th, 2011, 08:06 PM
That's worse than losing to Lambuth.

Much worse. Other boards are posting that McMurry has filed its intent to move to D2 but right now they are still D3-Non Scholarship.

crossfire07
September 10th, 2011, 08:27 PM
UTSA losing that game is just horrible. Everybody is going to schedule them for their homecoming date :)