PDA

View Full Version : 86 - 7

BlueHenSinfonian
October 16th, 2010, 09:33 PM
The Jacksonville Dolphins absolutely dominated Valpo today in every conceivable way. Is it time to think that JU really should end up in the playoffs?

Granted, Valpo is probably the worst team in the FCS, but I haven't seem a game this lopsided in quite a while, especially between two programs not only in the same (sub)division, but in the same conference.

Whether JU was running up the score or not isn't the point (personally, I think there should be an exception to discouraging running up the score when you have a legitimate chance at getting 100 points or more in a game, and I'm a bit disappointed the Dolphins didn't go for it). The Pioneer Football League may be bad, but I think JU is showing off how much better they are than the other bad teams, and they should get an at large playoff berth this year.

siuham
October 16th, 2010, 09:40 PM
Valpo has a 42-7 loss to a DIII and a 50-7 loss to a DII.

Drake was the only game Valpo kept within 30.

For some reason, Dayton and Jacksonville do not play. If they did play, the winner would probably be a shoo-in for the playoffs. As it stands, they're not better than a 4 loss team from the CAA/Big Sky/MVFC/SoCon.

Mntneer
October 16th, 2010, 09:41 PM
I dunno. 86 is practically unheard of true, but this is the same JU team that ASU mopped the floor with 45-14 a few weeks ago. Since lots of folks on here keep commenting on how ASU itself is still relatively untested, what does that say about JU?

theasushow
October 16th, 2010, 09:47 PM
APP beats JU 45-14, JU beats Valpo 86-7.....wonder what the spread would be if APP played VALPO?

siuham
October 16th, 2010, 09:50 PM
I dunno. 86 is practically unheard of true, but this is the same JU team that ASU mopped the floor with 45-14 a few weeks ago. Since lots of folks on here keep commenting on how ASU itself is still relatively untested, what does that say about JU?

86 isn't unheard of when FCS teams play DII/DIII/NAIA teams. Valpo has the FCS classification but does not belong.

theasushow
October 16th, 2010, 09:54 PM
“You have to have confidence in yourself and that’s something we don’t seem to have right now,” head coach Dale Carlson said.

yeah I would say losing 86-7 isn't a great confidence builder.

chattanoogamocs
October 16th, 2010, 09:56 PM
86 isn't unheard of when FCS teams play DII/DIII/NAIA teams. Valpo has the FCS classification but does not belong.

Agreed...the reality is, Valpo is a BAD DIII football school that play DI in all other sports.

A really good team doesn't have to beat a terrible team by 79 points...just to prove how good they are.

If JU is really a playoff caliber team...they should upgrade their OOC...take a team like Webber Intl off the schedule and add another legitimate FCS team.

chattanoogamocs
October 16th, 2010, 10:04 PM
personally, I think there should be an exception to discouraging running up the score when you have a legitimate chance at getting 100 points or more in a game, and I'm a bit disappointed the Dolphins didn't go for it

That's like encouraging Mike Tyson to beat up a mentally challenged person because they happen to be the same weight
...because you want to see how fast he could knock him out

:)

superman7515
October 16th, 2010, 10:20 PM
Isn't that what the Michael Spinks fight was?

BlueHenSinfonian
October 16th, 2010, 10:21 PM
Valpo has a 42-7 loss to a DIII and a 50-7 loss to a DII.

Drake was the only game Valpo kept within 30.

For some reason, Dayton and Jacksonville do not play. If they did play, the winner would probably be a shoo-in for the playoffs. As it stands, they're not better than a 4 loss team from the CAA/Big Sky/MVFC/SoCon.

Since the beginning of the playoff system there have only been three teams that have won the NC game that haven't been members of the CAA (A-10)/SoCon/MVC (Gateway), or Big Sky, and the last was LA-Monroe back in '87 as part of the SLC. Still, we give automatic bids to the Patriot League (never won the NC) the MEAC (hasn't won since '78), and the OVC (hasn't won since '82).

I'm not saying that the stronger conferences shouldn't get multiple tickets to the dance, but if the goal of the playoffs were to only include teams with a legitimate chance of winning the NC game, we wouldn't have the 20 team field, heck, we wouldn't even need the old 16 team field, 8 would pretty much cover the bases.

JU has had a breakout season, and even if it is in a weak conference, I think they deserve a shot.

chattanoogamocs
October 16th, 2010, 10:34 PM
Isn't that what the Michael Spinks fight was?

Pretty close.

Though now that I think about it...you might argue that Tyson should have been riding the short bus too. :)

How about this one...it is like wanting to see if the Lakers could score 500 points on a basketball team of blind, wheelchair bound, double amuptees.

Model Citizen
October 16th, 2010, 10:38 PM
The PFL limits travel squads to 55. All JU had was its best players.

blukeys
October 16th, 2010, 11:11 PM
I'm not saying that the stronger conferences shouldn't get multiple tickets to the dance, but if the goal of the playoffs were to only include teams with a legitimate chance of winning the NC game, we wouldn't have the 20 team field,

Well I have argued against an expansion from 16 teams for years.

Yes I believe the point of picking playoff teams is to find teams who have a LEGITIMATE shot at becoming a National Champion.

Including anyone from the PFL is just another example of T-Ball awarding trophies to any 6 year old who actually shows up and is put into right field.

I have yet to hear a valid argument as to why any PFL team should be in the playoffs.

The only argument I hear is that the Patriot League isn't very good either so let us in.

I happen to believe that the best teams who actually have a chance to win a NC should get the invite.

Can't we leave the self esteem invites to CYO girls volleyball and not College Football????

chattanoogamocs
October 16th, 2010, 11:13 PM

Yes I believe the point of picking playoff teams is to find teams who have a LEGITIMATE shot at becoming a National Champion.

Including anyone from the PFL is just another example of T-Ball awarding trophies to any 6 year old who actually shows up and is put into right field.

I have yet to hear a valid argument as to why any PFL team should be in the playoffs.

The only argument I hear is that the Patriot League isn't very good either so let us in.

I happen to believe that the best teams who actually have a chance to win a NC should get the invite.

Can't we leave the self esteem invites to CYO girls volleyball and not College Football????

Amen brother.

BlueHenSinfonian
October 16th, 2010, 11:15 PM

I don't disagree with you, but my feeling is that as long as we're going to let some cupcakes in, let's at least be equal opportunity about it.

blukeys
October 16th, 2010, 11:31 PM
I don't disagree with you, but my feeling is that as long as we're going to let some cupcakes in, let's at least be equal opportunity about it.

So which cupcakes would you leave out????

Why should we let cupcakes in and leave out teams that are not cupcakes????

The arguments for letting people in neglect deserving teams who are left out.

If certain conference AQ's are undeserving why do we continue the practice of letting in undeserving teams????

Wouldn't it make more sense to yank an AQ from a conference that consists of cupcakes rather than add another cupcake to the playoffs???

Giving an AQ to the PFL only lowers the FCS brand. PFL teams lose to D-3 and D-2 teams.

But, no we are obliged to reward mediocrity, or in the case of the PFL worse than mediocrity, in order to make people feel good.

NoCoDanny
October 17th, 2010, 12:18 AM
Can someone give us the Valpo AD's phone number, we might be able to keep it withing single digits before we lose.

BucBisonAtLarge
October 17th, 2010, 02:06 AM
This is the NCAA and if this is an NCAA tournament then conferences that meet a standard set of criteria get an automatic bid, is it? The process of the who gets the AQ is sounding like a prestige fraternity bidding process. These are all Division I institutions, already sworn-in and vetted. If you want parity, watch the NFL.

SalukiJim
October 17th, 2010, 05:49 AM
APP beats JU 45-14, JU beats Valpo 86-7.....wonder what the spread would be if APP played VALPO?

As my gf from TX says, "elebendy-two hundred. point five" xlolx

DFW HOYA
October 17th, 2010, 07:09 AM
Another reason to ignore JU come post-season: running it up.

From the Gary news recap:

"Jacksonville coach Kerwin Bell, who won't win any sportsmanship awards, raised eyebrows when he called a timeout in the final second of the first half [leading 63-7]. After a false-start penalty, Josh Hostetler kicked a 36-yard field goal."

wr70beh
October 17th, 2010, 08:24 AM
Looking at JU's remaining schedule, they could theoretically run the table and finish 9-1 vs. Division I opponents. Their ODU win was a decent win on the road.

I'm surprised this school doesn't upgrade their program. They're in a hotbed of football talent. They could get a lot of decent players if they offered scholarships.

DetroitFlyer
October 17th, 2010, 08:31 AM
No doubt that Bell is similar to Jim Harbaugh in his approach to coaching.... Last time I checked, Harbaugh's style of coaching worked out well for USD and now Stanford.... Dayton did not run up the score on Valpo because we played them at home. Our starters were out early in the second quarter. We had our third string QB in before the second quarter ended. The second half was interesting for UD fans because we got to see so many young players that many had never seen play before. Honestly, about the only way this game could have been closer is if JU had left the first and second string at home and brought nothing but reserves. What coach is going to do that? It is unfortunate that JU and UD do not play this year. If both finish 10-1, (9-1 FCS), both would be playoff worthy. Being tied might actually work against a PFL at large this year.... How would you leave one at home and take one? Every week, Dayton's win over Robert Morris looks better and better, (Bobby Mo crushed Albany 38-0 Saturday).... Bobby Mo will probably end up a ranked team before the season is over. Now, how cool would it be if TWO PFL teams make the playoffs this year as at large teams? Talk about sweet....

DetroitFlyer
October 17th, 2010, 08:42 AM
The Jacksonville Dolphins absolutely dominated Valpo today in every conceivable way. Is it time to think that JU really should end up in the playoffs?

Granted, Valpo is probably the worst team in the FCS, but I haven't seem a game this lopsided in quite a while, especially between two programs not only in the same (sub)division, but in the same conference.

Whether JU was running up the score or not isn't the point (personally, I think there should be an exception to discouraging running up the score when you have a legitimate chance at getting 100 points or more in a game, and I'm a bit disappointed the Dolphins didn't go for it). The Pioneer Football League may be bad, but I think JU is showing off how much better they are than the other bad teams, and they should get an at large playoff berth this year.

More of the Jim Harbaugh / Kerwin Bell strategy here.... A score like this, good or bad, will capture national attention.... Even this poster has used this score to start talk about JU being a playoff worthy team. Kerwin Bell - Mission accomplished! Meanwhile, in Dayton, Ohio, the coaches did not run up the score while playing Valpo in order to grab headlines because that is simply not Dayton football.... Dayton also had the "advantage" of playing at home and having the third and fourth strings in early in the game, (early second half). JU only had half its team, (travel squad), so they did not have many options....

udchuck
October 17th, 2010, 09:07 AM
[QUOTE=siuham;1569022

For some reason, Dayton and Jacksonville do not play. If they did play, the winner would probably be a shoo-in for the playoffs. As it stands, they're not better than a 4 loss team from the CAA/Big Sky/MVFC/SoCon.[/QUOTE]

Horse crap,Need I say more ???????

JUDolphins
October 17th, 2010, 09:16 AM
I was at the game with the Dolphins and JU didn't try to run up the score. They tried to do everything they could to slow it down.

You can only control your offense - which put up 65 points. When the defense gets 14 and special teams another 7 - that's how it gets out of hand.

Plus, the PFL only allows us to bring 55 on the road - so you really only have your 2-deep on the trip. If we could have put the rest of the kids in, we would have early.

As for JU improving its schedule - that is underway for the future. When you know you're playing a top 3 team, you probably need to have a rebound game and that was the idea with the Webber game.

danefan
October 17th, 2010, 09:24 AM
it really is a shame that JU and Dayton don't play. JU needed one more good win this year and Dayton could have been that one.

And while in theory JUDolphins, that rebound game makes sense, when scheduling for a playoff bid out of the PFL you can't afford any "rebound games." You have to schedule all your OOC games against teams from superior conferences. Its the only way the Committee will take your schedule serious.

JUDolphins
October 17th, 2010, 09:28 AM
That's the problem. At the beginning of the season, we were hoping to be 10-1...it wasn't a lock or anything.

You've got to remember, we're still growing as a program. When we hired Coach Bell, we made a commitment to football - and this is the result. We're a growing program - so it's hard to schedule for a potential playoff bid when you're not sure if you're going to be in that position.

Having done what we've done thus far, the schedule is one of the big things under discussion. I know the Citadel is on the schedule for next year and Georgia Southern in 2012.

Saint3333
October 17th, 2010, 12:09 PM
No way JU deserves a playoff spot after watching them in Boone. They would win maybe 2 SoCon games.

WestCoastAggie
October 17th, 2010, 12:14 PM
it really is a shame that JU and Dayton don't play. JU needed one more good win this year and Dayton could have been that one.

And while in theory JUDolphins, that rebound game makes sense, when scheduling for a playoff bid out of the PFL you can't afford any "rebound games." You have to schedule all your OOC games against teams from superior conferences. Its the only way the Committee will take your schedule serious.

Technically, the committee can lmao at Jacksonville's schedule but will still let them in the playoffs if they fit all the guidelines for selecting at large teams from non AQ conferences.

6. For those conferences that qualify for automatic qualification but do not receive it, a guaranteed at-large position shall be awarded in any year in which its conference champion team meets all of the following conditions:
a. Team wins a minimum of eight Division I games during the season;
b. Team wins a minimum of two non-conference games against Division I teams representing a conference that has earned an automatic qualification in that year;
and
c. Team finishes the season ranked 16 or higher in an average of the last regularseason media, coaches and/or computer polls (which will be determined by the committee on an annual basis). For 2009, the media poll will be the Sports Network Poll, the coaches poll will be the FCS Coaches poll and the computer poll will be a variation of the Gridiron Power Index – using only the following computer rankings: The Massey Ratings, Wolfe Rankings, Ashburn Rankings, Self Rankings and the Laz Index.

http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/log/index.php/2009/11/16/how-the-2009-d-i-football-championship-w?blog=5

UAalum72
October 17th, 2010, 01:55 PM
Technically, the committee can lmao at Jacksonville's schedule but will still let them in the playoffs if they fit all the guidelines for selecting at large teams from non AQ conferences.
6.a. Team wins a minimum of eight Division I games during the season;
b. Team wins a minimum of two non-conference games against Division I teams representing a conference that has earned an automatic qualification in that year;
and
c. Team finishes the season ranked 16 or higher in an average of the last regularseason media, coaches and/or computer polls (which will be determined by the committee on an annual basis).

http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/log/index.php/2009/11/16/how-the-2009-d-i-football-championship-w?blog=5
They can't; have only one win vs. AQ teams (6.b); unlikely to rise as high as 16 (6.c), though that should be changed to 20 for 2010.

DetroitFlyer
October 17th, 2010, 04:58 PM
Yeah, I'm certain that the top teams from the OVC, MEAC, NEC, Patriot League would have fared much better in Boone.... Give me a break.

Saint3333
October 17th, 2010, 05:39 PM
I've seen UTC, Samford, Citadel, and Elon (as well as GSU and Furman on TV). So far only the Citadel would lose to JU and it would be close, there's your break...down. Certain huh? The top team from the OVC, Jacksonville St., would beat JU by 20, and ASU faced the best MEAC team in the playoffs last year who was a legit team. Patriot League certainly is down and I've never been in favor of the NEC getting an AQ so you may have a point there.

Franks Tanks
October 17th, 2010, 05:44 PM

You need to apply that logic to the NCAA basketball tourney. Therefore the CAA shouldnt get a b-ball automatic bid, because the CAA has never won the NCAA b-ball championsip.

In my book every conference should get an autobid for all sports. Otherwise how is it fair for all conferences to get bids in a sport like soccer or basketball, but not get a bid for football?

JUDolphins
October 17th, 2010, 07:06 PM
Saint -

To be perfectly honest, right now JU can matchup with any team that doesn't have a mobile QB with a good arm. If they aren't too fleet afoot, we're OK. If they are a runner and not much of a passer, then we can hold on our own.

ASU was not a good matchup for us and we were able to stay in the game until the 4th quarter.

IMO, JU could hang with UTC, Samford, Furman - I just haven't seen Wofford play this year, but I'm not sure the Fins could fare well with them.

Saint3333
October 17th, 2010, 07:26 PM
You honestly think JU would be able to match up with UTC? They were able to score on ASU, something JU could not. You guys are having a great conference run, much like San Diego a couple years enjoy it, but you guys are not ready to compete with playoff caliber teams, they will wear you down and even if you can keep it close for a half the lack of depth will catch up with you.

chattanoogamocs
October 17th, 2010, 07:32 PM
You honestly think JU would be able to match up with UTC?

He honestly does.

Somehow a 1 point loss is the same as a 35 point loss because JU "hung" with ASU until the 3rd quarter.

Oh well...all are invited to drink from the koolaid of their alma mater. I am the first to admit that I am biased...I think the Mocs would beat JU by 30. But, we won't be paying a non-schollie teams any time soon, so we will just have to "speculate". :)

JUDolphins
October 17th, 2010, 09:50 PM
UTC is playing UP this year. Their coach has done a fantastic job of turning the program around.

That being said, have you watched JU play? I have and they are pretty good. Can they win the national title? No. Can they compete with most outside the top 5? I think so...but I'm a little biased.

Grabholdofyosef
October 18th, 2010, 09:21 AM
I was at the ASU-JU game and the game was close deep into the 3rd quarter (17-14). ASU did end up winning going away but the game was closer than the final score. I know I was getting a little uncomfortable for a little while. But that may have been cause I had to use the bathroom : )

Eaglesrus
October 18th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Granted, Valpo is probably the worst team in the FCS.

Okay, I think its time for Valpo and Savannah State to meet on the field and settle this thing!

WestCoastAggie
October 18th, 2010, 09:38 AM
Okay, I think its time for Valpo and Savannah State to meet on the field and settle this thing!

Don't forget about A&T.

blukeys
October 19th, 2010, 03:22 PM
You need to apply that logic to the NCAA basketball tourney. Therefore the CAA shouldnt get a b-ball automatic bid, because the CAA has never won the NCAA b-ball championsip.

In my book every conference should get an autobid for all sports. Otherwise how is it fair for all conferences to get bids in a sport like soccer or basketball, but not get a bid for football?

I am all for it but obviously you have no clue as to how competitive the CAA is in basketball. The CAA has had it's share of success in the Basketball tournament including sending a team to the final 4.

Your fairness argument as usual is just an excuse for increased mediocrity.

However, I have a solution for the so called "fairness" crowd. If we add just 2 more weekends to the pllayoffs, we can have every single FCS team in the playoffs. There of course will be some ugly blowouts and increased playoff expenses but who cares. We would then be very fair and just like Little League T-Ball everyone will get a trophy and everyone will be special.

UAalum72
October 19th, 2010, 04:26 PM
I am all for it but obviously you have no clue as to how competitive the CAA is in basketball. The CAA has had it's share of success in the Basketball tournament including sending a team to the final 4.

However, I have a solution for the so called "fairness" crowd. If we add just 2 more weekends to the pllayoffs, we can have every single FCS team in the playoffs. There of course will be some ugly blowouts and increased playoff expenses but who cares. We would then be very fair and just like Little League T-Ball everyone will get a trophy and everyone will be special.

Another solution is we make the playoff field even more elite by cutting it to twelve and put only conference champions in the field. Then the other six CAA teams could stay home like the Miss America runners-up they are.

Saint3333
October 19th, 2010, 05:28 PM
How many national champions have been non-AQ teams in the playoffs? With that runner up comment I assume you've already done this research.

UAalum72
October 19th, 2010, 06:04 PM
How many national champions have been non-AQ teams in the playoffs? With that runner up comment I assume you've already done this research.

Don't know, don't care. It's about his comment about giving everybody a trophy. If he doesn't want a Little-League mom mentality, don't let fifth-place teams into the playoffs.

Saint3333
October 19th, 2010, 06:34 PM
It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument. ~William G. McAdoo

UAalum72
October 19th, 2010, 06:46 PM
It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument. ~William G. McAdoo
Don't talk about blukeys like that.

In fact, what I proposed was what the NCAA basketball tournament was in the 1960s. Everybody talked about what a war the ACC tourney was because only one of them went to the NCAAs, the rest got a consolation in the NIT. No mediocrity there.

Franks Tanks
October 19th, 2010, 06:58 PM

Please read what you wrote buddy! You said that only teams with a legitimate chance at winning a championship should make the field. Well going into the typical NCAA basketball tournament CAA schools have a very small chance of winning a championship-- or virtually no shot at all. Using your original logic CAA school shouldnt play in the basketball championship. Also yes I understand the CAA sent a team to the final four ONCE. Just as the PL sent a team to the National Championship once. Pick a side and stick to it.

heath
October 19th, 2010, 07:51 PM
Its OK to smack your brother around and teach him a lesson,but don't send him to the hospital just to look good infront of a crowd(FCS voters). Momma doesn't like that!

downbythebeach
October 20th, 2010, 06:56 AM
I remember a few years ago having this same argument with Blukeys after George Mason U (My alma mater) went to the Final Four. He said there should be no auto bids in basketball either, and that it would not affect the CAA as they were gonna be a two bid league after the GMU run.........yeah, that happened...........