PDA

View Full Version : LSU on In-State FCS

TexasTerror
October 15th, 2010, 07:24 AM
Glad LSU is interested in play in-state schools. Mentioned McNeese sold 6k tickets and that is more than most SEC schools and that they've paid schools more than McNeese from east coast who have sold less...

“I try to tell them all if they meet certain criteria, we’ll do it,” Ausberry said. “McNeese and Northwestern have strong traditions.”

So, too, does Southern, although the Jaguars have fallen on hard times in recent seasons.

For Southern - that means getting competitive...

Ausberry said Southern first needs to become more competitive.

“They just hired a new coach (Stump Mitchell),” Ausberry said. “They get that program back to its winning ways, win a black college national championship, we’ll start talking.

“Nothing is off the table.”

http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/lsu/105006149.html?index=27&c=y

mikebigg
October 15th, 2010, 07:43 AM
Glad LSU is interested in play in-state schools. Mentioned McNeese sold 6k tickets and that is more than most SEC schools and that they've paid schools more than McNeese from east coast who have sold less...

For Southern - that means getting competitive...

http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/lsu/105006149.html?index=27&c=y

Why put that stipulation on Southern... Northwestern hasn't been competitive in FCS for a while now and I heard on such stipulation concerning them. Also, Grambling has won SEVERAL Black National Championships in the 2k's...one as recently as 2008 and we're not mentioned. Ausberry is full of it! He schedules as he's TOLD!

3rd Coast Tiger
October 15th, 2010, 08:26 AM
I was just about to ask "What about Grambling?".

Cocky
October 15th, 2010, 08:59 AM
I thought I read somewhere that Grambling didn't want the game.

JSU02
October 15th, 2010, 09:37 AM
At least LSU isn't scared to play instate FCS schools like UAT is.

DG Cowboy
October 15th, 2010, 10:29 AM
With finances the way they are for FCS schools, I applaud LSU for keeping $400,000 in the state. LSU has played The Citadel, Western Illinois, Western Carolina, and Appalachian, so why not play Louisiana FCS schools? In 2008 McNeese and App figuratively passed each other in the air for McNeese to play UNC and App to play LSU on the same day. McNeese sold out 4,000 LSU tickets quick and then sold 2,000 more, which was all LSU could give us. I am estimating that another 2,000 McNeese fans like me will also get into the stadium on tickets begged, bought, borrowed, or stolen from LSU ticket holders. An out-of-state school can't bring those numbers. I hope they play an LA school every year as long as they play FCS schools.

mikebigg
October 15th, 2010, 10:37 AM
With finances the way they are for FCS schools, I applaud LSU for keeping $400,000 in the state. LSU has played The Citadel, Western Illinois, Western Carolina, and Appalachian, so why not play Louisiana FCS schools? In 2008 McNeese and App figuratively passed each other in the air for McNeese to play UNC and App to play LSU on the same day. McNeese sold out 4,000 LSU tickets quick and then sold 2,000 more, which was all LSU could give us. I am estimating that another 2,000 McNeese fans like me will also get into the stadium on tickets begged, bought, borrowed, or stolen from LSU ticket holders. An out-of-state school can't bring those numbers. I hope they play an LA school every year as long as they play FCS schools.

Makes sense to me... I'm sorta surprised that the ULS hasn't "suggested" more in-state scheduling among the member schools.

DG Cowboy
October 15th, 2010, 10:53 AM
Makes sense to me... I'm sorta surprised that the ULS hasn't "suggested" more in-state scheduling among the member schools.

Well, Mike, now we get into territoriality, testosterone, and other issues that have been hashed out here previously. You have 9 Louisiana football schools at the FCS or, IMO, the lower FBS level. An outsider might suggest that is a nice size conference, but in reality probably 5 of the schools and their fans would fight it tooth and nail. The ULS has no cajones for such an edict. Just how it is. Regarding the two of us, I hope McNeese and Grambling hook up again in another home-and-home. I thought that was good for both schools and our fans.

WileECoyote06
October 15th, 2010, 11:08 AM
that statement bothered me. And I thought the same thing.

ST_Lawson
October 15th, 2010, 11:27 AM
I'd love to see more states do this type of thing.
Northern Iowa already has a regular series set up where they play either Iowa State or U of Iowa (nearly?) every year. Keeps the money in-state, the away team generally brings much larger crowds than the schools halfway across the country, it just makes sense a many levels.

I'd love to see Illinois do something like this. We've got 3 FBS teams: U of I, Northwestern, Northern Illinois; and 4 FCS teams: Western, Southern, Eastern, and Illinois State.
Each year you could have the three FBS teams play three of the FCS teams as an OOC game, rotating so that in a 3 out of the 4 years of the rotation, one of the FCS teams doesn't play an in-state FBS team.

I know it can be rough to work out schedules for this type of thing, but it looks like maybe the trend is starting to move that way.
This year we had: U of Illinois vs Southern Illinois, U of Illinois vs Northern Illinois (not FBS vs FCS, but still in-state), and Northwestern vs Illinois State

It looks like in Louisiana you've got 5 FBS and 6 FCS so you could do something similar. The only downside is that a couple of those FCS programs are frequently better than a couple of those FBS programs. But that's no different than Illinois, with WIU knocking off NIU three times in the late '90s and early '00s.

DG Cowboy
October 15th, 2010, 11:34 AM
Unfortunately, the only commonality nowadays is a lack of common sense.

mikebigg
October 15th, 2010, 02:44 PM
Well, Mike, now we get into territoriality, testosterone, and other issues that have been hashed out here previously. You have 9 Louisiana football schools at the FCS or, IMO, the lower FBS level. An outsider might suggest that is a nice size conference, but in reality probably 5 of the schools and their fans would fight it tooth and nail. The ULS has no cajones for such an edict. Just how it is. Regarding the two of us, I hope McNeese and Grambling hook up again in another home-and-home. I thought that was good for both schools and our fans.

I think the fans would enjoy it and support it at the gate... I like it as the second or third game of the season in a 4 year deal. I think if we played each other regularly enuff an attractive rivalry would develop with good attendance.

boonegoon
October 15th, 2010, 03:37 PM
At least LSU isn't scared to play instate FCS schools like UAT is.

Or Carolina.

T-Dog
October 15th, 2010, 04:06 PM

There's a problem with that. Carolina won't do that. They'll play Georgia Southern, The Citadel, James Madison, William and Mary, McNeese, Richmond, Furman and such, but a big fat NO to the in-state FCS schools. I can't remember the last time they did. It's been at least 15 years.

It took an act of legislation to get Carolina to play ECU. It'll take an act of God for them to play in-state FCS schools.

BEAR
October 15th, 2010, 04:13 PM
There's a problem with that. Carolina won't do that. They'll play Georgia Southern, The Citadel, James Madison, William and Mary, McNeese, Richmond, Furman and such, but a big fat NO to the in-state FCS schools. I can't remember the last time they did. It's been at least 15 years.

It took an act of legislation to get Carolina to play ECU. It'll take an act of God for them to play in-state FCS schools.

Same problem here in Arkansas. UAF doesn't play ANY in-state schools..hasn't since probably the early 60s..(who knows)...but due to conference realignment, Ark. State had an opening on their schedule and opted to play UCA next year! Way to go State! Huck the Fogs!

WileECoyote06
October 15th, 2010, 05:46 PM
Put yourselves in the shoes of the AD of the BCS school. You risk ruining your recruiting advantage if they play a top-flight in-state FCS school and lose.

Jerry Moore could go after blue chippers and claim that UNC can't even beat us. . ..

Cocky
October 15th, 2010, 10:14 PM
Put yourselves in the shoes of the AD of the BCS school. You risk ruining your recruiting advantage if they play a top-flight in-state FCS school and lose.

Jerry Moore could go after blue chippers and claim that UNC can't even beat us. . ..

Most if not all would still choose the UNC of their state.

Bigmoneymike
October 17th, 2010, 04:23 PM
I dont get why he had to talk about southern being more competitive. Obviously the game about is about keeping money in state and getting an easy W not to mention you scheduled northwestern. Anyway I am interested in the SEC ticket allotment statement. I thought they usually give the other SEC schools 8000 tickets.

TexasTerror
October 17th, 2010, 04:30 PM
I dont get why he had to talk about southern being more competitive. Obviously the game about is about keeping money in state and getting an easy W not to mention you scheduled northwestern. Anyway I am interested in the SEC ticket allotment statement. I thought they usually give the other SEC schools 8000 tickets.

They got asked about Southern, he had no other choice but to respond. It has become an issue in other sports and it had to spill over into football at some point.

The most notable issue is that LSU is not willing to travel to Southern's baseball field due to the lack of seating and the poor playing conditions. There's actually quite a few teams in the state of Louisiana not willing to travel to Southern due to the poor playing field and no, I do not want to hear that 'because Southern will beat them' stuff.

Southern's coach refuses to go back to LSU until they visit him. Not sure what makes him special, many of the elite programs in the region do not visit their SWAC counterparts unless it is on a neutral field...

Catmendue2
October 17th, 2010, 05:32 PM
They got asked about Southern, he had no other choice but to respond. It has become an issue in other sports and it had to spill over into football at some point.The most notable issue is that LSU is not willing to travel to Southern's baseball field due to the lack of seating and the poor playing conditions. There's actually quite a few teams in the state of Louisiana not willing to travel to Southern due to the poor playing field and no, I do not want to hear that 'because Southern will beat them' stuff.

Southern's coach refuses to go back to LSU until they visit him. Not sure what makes him special, many of the elite programs in the region do not visit their SWAC counterparts unless it is on a neutral field...

How do you know that?

SUjagTILLiDIE
October 17th, 2010, 05:36 PM
Why put that stipulation on Southern... Northwestern hasn't been competitive in FCS for a while now and I heard on such stipulation concerning them. Also, Grambling has won SEVERAL Black National Championships in the 2k's...one as recently as 2008 and we're not mentioned. Ausberry is full of it! He schedules as he's TOLD!

Ausberry is full of it for real. He was quoted as saying, he wouldnt play SU or Gram because we would mess their stuff and campus up. xsmhx

SU really doesnt need to play LSU as we are in the same city, and have to co-exist.

SUjagTILLiDIE
October 17th, 2010, 05:40 PM
They got asked about Southern, he had no other choice but to respond. It has become an issue in other sports and it had to spill over into football at some point.

The most notable issue is that LSU is not willing to travel to Southern's baseball field due to the lack of seating and the poor playing conditions. There's actually quite a few teams in the state of Louisiana not willing to travel to Southern due to the poor playing field and no, I do not want to hear that 'because Southern will beat them' stuff.

BS. ULL, Southeastern visited last season and Tulane the year before. Still hot @ Cador for leaving UNO @ the alter huh.

TexasTerror
October 17th, 2010, 05:45 PM
BS. ULL, Southeastern visited last season and Tulane the year before. Still hot @ Cador for leaving UNO @ the alter huh.

Bad information on your part re: Cador, you'll never fail, eh? Hey - he got his raise, but SU has not cashed in on the promises!

And Tulane is NEVER going back to Southern from what I was told. The elite teams in the state at the Div I level are LSU and Tulane. Neither has plans in the immediate future to go back to Lee-Hines. Wonder why?

Catmendue2
October 17th, 2010, 05:47 PM

That Terrorist love the SWAC.

JohnStOnge
October 17th, 2010, 07:02 PM
One thing that happened is that the McNeese game contributed to the argument that you're not likely to do any worse in terms of the competetiveness of the game by scheduling a in state Southland FSC than you're likely to do in scheduling a in State University of Louisiana System FBS. The final 32-10 score is deceptive. The last score was cosmetic as McNeese failed on a 4th down conversion attempt at the LSU 31 with the score 25-10 and I think the Cowboys kind of lost their intensity after that and started giving up rushing yards including a long TD run. LSU ended the game with 175 yards rushing and 69 of them came on that last drive. Another thing is that McNeese had chances to make it even more interesting but didn't make plays. McNeese's field goal came after a McNeese wideout dropped a TD pass and a McNeese DB dropped what may have been a pick 6 opportunity just before half. It wasn't a definite pick 6 opportunity because the DB would've had to cover something like 95 yards and there are some fast players on LSU's team but...put it this way...I'd have liked to have seen what had happened if he caught the ball.

Anyway, it was a competetive game...a lot more competetive than the final score suggests. So McNeese struck a blow for arguing that a game against a FCS isn't necessarily a total mismatch. Only problem is that I don't know if that's what fans at a school like LSU want to see. On one hand they don't want to schedule FCS schools because they say it won't be competetive but then if it is competetive they don't like that either.

mikebigg
October 18th, 2010, 09:59 AM

What does this have to do with the thread? ANOTHER obvious attempt to putdown on SU (or any other SWAC school) even if it means stretching out beyond the topic. Verge Ausberry's lame excuse that SU needs to win a BCF or any other stipulation looks bad when you consider that he mentions playing Northwestern who hasn't won crap in years. No knock on the Demons but Ausberry is playing to those whose "acceptance/approval" he deems important. I have no respect for him...

TexasTerror
October 18th, 2010, 12:00 PM
What does this have to do with the thread? ANOTHER obvious attempt to putdown on SU (or any other SWAC school) even if it means stretching out beyond the topic. Verge Ausberry's lame excuse that SU needs to win a BCF or any other stipulation looks bad when you consider that he mentions playing Northwestern who hasn't won crap in years. No knock on the Demons but Ausberry is playing to those whose "acceptance/approval" he deems important. I have no respect for him...

It was questioned why Southern was brought up and I relayed other issues with Southern and LSU are far as scheduling. It was a matter of factly on subject, since scheduling or lack their of between the two schools is a common theme that includes both football and baseball.

You can read it to what you want, but the history is there.

apaladin
October 18th, 2010, 08:15 PM
I think it is a budding trend for FBS teams to play in-state FCS schools. In SC both Clemson and Soutn Carolina play one a year, Furman played SC this year and will again in 2014 and Clemson in 2012. FWIW Furman will play LSU in 2013, Florida next year,

mikebigg
October 19th, 2010, 02:11 AM
It was questioned why Southern was brought up and I relayed other issues with Southern and LSU are far as scheduling. It was a matter of factly on subject, since scheduling or lack their of between the two schools is a common theme that includes both football and baseball.

You can read it to what you want, but the history is there.

Yeah, right!