View Full Version : MVFC is a mess or Tough PARITY

Pant8her
October 12th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Is the MVFC in a mess or is it just that there is Parity this season.
Presently (based on conference record not overall)
Top..........Overall......Conference
WIU...........4-2..............2-1
SIU............3-3..............2-1
UNI............2-3..............2-1
Middle
ISU (r)-----3-3----------2-2
ISU (b)-----3-2---------1-1
MSU--------2-3---------1-1
SDSU-------1-4---------1-1
Bottom
NDSU_______4-2_______1-2
YSU________3-3_______1-2

Will the MVFC only have the autobid into the playoffs. This is a good question and worthy of debate.

If WIU runs the table they end up with a 9-2 record, which would mean that both UNI and SIU lose at least one more game each. Most years having four losses typically means no post season play. Ind St could sneak in here if they win out too (9-2). Opponents left YSU, MSU, Ill St, SIU, and UNI.
If SIU wins out they will be 8-3, which would mean that WIU would have at least one more loss. Would a 8-3 WIU get into the playoffs probably. UNI would have four losses and not make the playoffs. Opponents left SDSU MSU, NDSU, WIU, and Ind St.
If UNI runs the table they would end up with an 8-3 record. Speculate WIU losses only to UNI they would be 8-3 and likely get a bid. SIU would then have a fourth loss and not make it. Opponents left USD, Ill St, YSU, Ind St, MSU, and WIU.
If Ill St wins out they would be 8-3. This would be interesting seeing that SIU has beaten them and if SIU (8-3) wins out too SIU would get the auto bid. WIU would be 7-4 and be out. If SIU loses to WIU, then SIU would be 7-4 and WIU potentially at 8-3. Opponents left NDSU UNI, WIU, YSU, and EIU.
This is crazy….
If Ind St wins out (hmmm) they would be 9-2 with the only loss to WIU. WIU could be 9-2 with the Valley and Ind St gets in too. The rest of the MVFC is at home thinking what a season… maybe, NDSU could still be 8-3 in this scenario. Opponents left MSU, NDSU, SDSU, UNI, YSU, and SIU.
Need I go on?
If MSU wins out then they would be 8-3. SIU, Ill St, and UNI would their fourth losses and be out. Ind St could have a record of 8-3 and might get a bid. NDSU could be 8-3 and get a bid too. Opponents left Ind St, WIU, SIU, SDSU, UNI, and NDSU.
If SDSU runs the table, they would be 7-4 and one conference loss. It would then depend on how everything else plays out here with some of the above scenarios applying. A 9-2 WIU or 8-3 Ind St, UNI, Ill St, NDSU… Opponents left SIU, YSU, Ind St, MSU, NDSU, and UND.
If NDSU wins out with some help they could win the conference, which would likely mean only a one bid for the MVFC, multiple teams would have four losses. Otherwise a 9-2 Bison get a bid with someone else winning the conference. This could happen and three valley teams might be 8-3. Opponents left Ill St, Ind St, SIU, SDSU, and MSU.
If YSU wins out again, they would need help to win the conference but at 8-3 and no conference title they could possibly get in. A couple of others might have a chance at 8-3. Opponents left WIU, SDSU, UNI, Ill St, and Ind St.

NO SMACK PLEASE, just thoughts. (no smack intended)
How do you think your team will do?
What team looks more dangerous to play or already played?
What team makes you nervous?

Peace (from the other side of the world) I wish I could be there....

TheBisonator
October 12th, 2010, 08:43 PM
I think an 8-3 Bison team is a lock for the playoffs (8-3 means 5-3 in conf. and an at-large bid). 7-4 for NDSU means more of a chance of not getting in than making it. I would not expect a 7-4 NDSU team to get in.

If WIU's QB stays hot, I think they can run the table.

Every team in this conference makes me nervous. The MVFC is like nine fat guys trying to bust thru a door all at once.

SalukiJim
October 12th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Is the MVFC in a mess or is it just that there is Parity this season.
Presently (based on conference record not overall)
Top..........Overall......Conference
WIU...........4-2..............2-1
SIU............3-3..............2-1
UNI............2-3..............2-1
Middle
ISU (r)-----3-3----------2-2
ISU (b)-----3-2---------1-1
MSU--------2-3---------1-1
SDSU-------1-4---------1-1
Bottom
NDSU_______4-2_______1-2
YSU________3-3_______1-2

Will the MVFC only have the autobid into the playoffs. This is a good question and worthy of debate.

If WIU runs the table they end up with a 9-2 record, which would mean that both UNI and SIU lose at least one more game each. Most years having four losses typically means no post season play. Ind St could sneak in here if they win out too (9-2). Opponents left YSU, MSU, Ill St, SIU, and UNI.
If SIU wins out they will be 8-3, which would mean that WIU would have at least one more loss. Would a 8-3 WIU get into the playoffs probably. UNI would have four losses and not make the playoffs. Opponents left SDSU MSU, NDSU, WIU, and Ind St.
If UNI runs the table they would end up with an 8-3 record. Speculate WIU losses only to UNI they would be 8-3 and likely get a bid. SIU would then have a fourth loss and not make it. Opponents left USD, Ill St, YSU, Ind St, MSU, and WIU.
If Ill St wins out they would be 8-3. This would be interesting seeing that SIU has beaten them and if SIU (8-3) wins out too SIU would get the auto bid. WIU would be 7-4 and be out. If SIU loses to WIU, then SIU would be 7-4 and WIU potentially at 8-3. Opponents left NDSU UNI, WIU, YSU, and EIU.
This is crazy….
If Ind St wins out (hmmm) they would be 9-2 with the only loss to WIU. WIU could be 9-2 with the Valley and Ind St gets in too. The rest of the MVFC is at home thinking what a season… maybe, NDSU could still be 8-3 in this scenario. Opponents left MSU, NDSU, SDSU, UNI, YSU, and SIU.
Need I go on?
If MSU wins out then they would be 8-3. SIU, Ill St, and UNI would their fourth losses and be out. Ind St could have a record of 8-3 and might get a bid. NDSU could be 8-3 and get a bid too. Opponents left Ind St, WIU, SIU, SDSU, UNI, and NDSU.
If SDSU runs the table, they would be 7-4 and one conference loss. It would then depend on how everything else plays out here with some of the above scenarios applying. A 9-2 WIU or 8-3 Ind St, UNI, Ill St, NDSU… Opponents left SIU, YSU, Ind St, MSU, NDSU, and UND.
If NDSU wins out with some help they could win the conference, which would likely mean only a one bid for the MVFC, multiple teams would have four losses. Otherwise a 9-2 Bison get a bid with someone else winning the conference. This could happen and three valley teams might be 8-3. Opponents left Ill St, Ind St, SIU, SDSU, and MSU.
If YSU wins out again, they would need help to win the conference but at 8-3 and no conference title they could possibly get in. A couple of others might have a chance at 8-3. Opponents left WIU, SDSU, UNI, Ill St, and Ind St.

NO SMACK PLEASE, just thoughts. (no smack intended)
How do you think your team will do?
What team looks more dangerous to play or already played?
What team makes you nervous?

Peace (from the other side of the world) I wish I could be there....

Good thoughts. But the thing that we're forgetting here - NONE of the teams mentioned seem capable of "running the table". More likely, somebody creeps up to 6-2 in conference and a bunch packed at 5-3. I honestly don't know how SIU will do but think that we can win maybe 3 or 4 of 5 (putting us at one of those 5-3 in the pack). That's IF our D does not get exposed again like it almost did last week.

And, BTW, thank you for being over there. xsmileyclapx

Professor Chaos
October 12th, 2010, 10:35 PM
I pick SIU as having the best chance of winning the league followed by WIU. I would be willing to bet that there will be co-champs but I'll pick SIU to get the autobid. At this point it's anybodys game and no one in the MVFC has proven to be consistent.

WIU and NDSU are the only teams who are positioned to get an at large so I think both those teams can go 4-1 and still be safe. Everyone else basically has to win out to be in playoff contention although I could see a 7-4 UNI squad getting an at large (I know Panther fans, y'all have gotten screwed before at 7-4 but I'm hoping the 20 team playoff field would get you the invite).

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 13th, 2010, 06:25 AM
I don't think the league is down with a lot of teams playing younger players.

Most teams need to win out to make the playoffs. Probably only WIU/NDSU/UNI can lose one more game and still get into the playoffs.

Every week is a must win for all teams.

GO BISON

Gil Dobie
October 13th, 2010, 08:08 AM
I agree with NW MN, the teams are young, making it unpredictable, and WIU with a bunch of Seniors has a good chance to win the conference.

darell1976
October 13th, 2010, 08:39 AM
I think it could be anyone's team to win it. Every team has to be a favorite, and with Indiana State on the winning track you can't dismiss them at all. I wish all the teams good luck in the playoff race.

RabidRabbit
October 13th, 2010, 09:20 AM
I think an 8-3 Bison team is a lock for the playoffs (8-3 means 5-3 in conf. and an at-large bid). 7-4 for NDSU means more of a chance of not getting in than making it. I would not expect a 7-4 NDSU team to get in.

If WIU's QB stays hot, I think they can run the table.

Every team in this conference makes me nervous. The MVFC is like nine fat guys trying to bust thru a door all at once.

NDSU has the best chance of getting an at-large with a BCS win + 1 ranked FCS win (vs another BCS winner) + FCS win (rolled pancake). I think they can finish a game behind co-champs and still get selected over a co-champ with no quality OOC wins (SIU, SDSU, In ST, UNI fit this description).

YSU has a good OOC resume, and may make it if sweep out.

SDSU, and SIU can only make it without losing any more. SIU, this is why no non-counter should be on your schedule.

There is a reasonable possibility that MVFC could have only AQ if NDSU is AQ. No one else has a good OOC win, and some bad OOC losses. IMHO, the OVC may be the beneficiary of the MVFC cluster.

darell1976
October 13th, 2010, 09:21 AM
NDSU has the best chance of getting an at-large with a BCS win + 1 ranked FCS win (vs another BCS winner) + FCS win (rolled pancake). I think they can finish a game behind co-champs and still get selected over a co-champ with no quality OOC wins (SIU, SDSU, In ST, UNI fit this description).

YSU has a good OOC resume, and may make it if sweep out.

SDSU, and SIU can only make it without losing any more. SIU, this is why no non-counter should be on your schedule.

There is a reasonable possibility that MVFC could have only AQ if NDSU is AQ. No one else has a good OOC win, and some bad OOC losses. IMHO, the OVC may be the beneficiary of the MVFC cluster.

Looks like we get to play spoiler next month!!

Iwuvdatrees
October 13th, 2010, 09:52 AM
To be honest I don't know if our team (Indiana State) is experienced enough to win out and we haven't won a road game in SOOOOO long that i just don't see it...I expect us to really play havoc with a few teams tho and finish middle of the pack and next year really be our shot to the top area of the conference...I think Fouch is only going to get better and it's nice to finally have a QB who is a legitimate passer...I see WIU winning the conference, they are just too good with that QB....

nmatsen
October 13th, 2010, 10:26 AM
UNI will get the auto bid at 6-2. Followed by SIU at 5-3, and a hand full of 4-4's.

Redbird Ray
October 13th, 2010, 01:32 PM
Can Wichita State win the MVFC this year? I would say either them or Evansville.

Iwuvdatrees
October 13th, 2010, 01:40 PM
LOL Baller prolly would say that there's no chance any team but Wichita State should win any games in any sport....

Sycamore51
October 13th, 2010, 01:40 PM
I'm going with MESS! UNI and WIU will be the only 2 I believe. I think both will be 6-2 in the league.

jlandrus23
October 13th, 2010, 02:52 PM
Every team has a shot to win the MVFC this year. Although I voted for Indiana State, I think we would be way ahead of ourselves, we will the conference after a 1-10 season.

Silenoz
October 14th, 2010, 04:40 PM
I love how every vote for Missouri State, Indiana State, and Illinois State were by their own fans

Houndawg
October 14th, 2010, 06:05 PM
To be honest I don't know if our team (Indiana State) is experienced enough to win out and we haven't won a road game in SOOOOO long that i just don't see it...I expect us to really play havoc with a few teams tho and finish middle of the pack and next year really be our shot to the top area of the conference...I think Fouch is only going to get better and it's nice to finally have a QB who is a legitimate passer...I see WIU winning the conference, they are just too good with that QB....

And SIU is decimated in the secondary.

MSUDuo
October 14th, 2010, 06:36 PM
I love how every vote for Missouri State, Indiana State, and Illinois State were by their own fans

There is a vote from a Delaware fan for each of those schools. So not exactly true

Iwuvdatrees
October 14th, 2010, 06:54 PM
Explain why you added the secondary comment Houndawg?

DOME
October 14th, 2010, 07:36 PM
While I'm not sure anyone has shown the consistency to run this thing out I think that is key. I think if any of these teams start playing consistent mistake free football they can make some noise.

Especially UNI, they've shown their defense to be solid as any in the run game. They need to get better at the pass D though. And their offense...well they just plain need to lock it up. I'm comfortable in saying that if they didn't turn the ball over they would be undefeated today.

But if if's weren't if's we'd all be rich. So let's play the rest of the season and see what happens.

SalukiJim
October 14th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Explain why you added the secondary comment Houndawg?

I think he was talking about the matchup of WIU's passing with Barr vs. our secondary using true freshmen and redshirts and the mascot if anybody else goes down!

pather
October 15th, 2010, 10:54 AM
Not down. SIU lost a ton of players to graduation and on top of that have suffered seasons worth of injuries. UNI is very young. Couple new coaches. Only team that baffles me is SDSU.

jacksfan29
October 15th, 2010, 11:22 AM
Not down. SIU lost a ton of players to graduation and on top of that have suffered seasons worth of injuries. UNI is very young. Couple new coaches. Only team that baffles me is SDSU.

I think a number of items explain the 1-4 start. A sophomore QB and three freshmen (two rs) receivers starting, six underclassmen starting on offense, a nasty schedule to start the year, and a confidence hangover by said sophomore QB (O'Brien) dating back to the Montana game. Outside of Minnett's running the first sign of life anyone has seen from the SDSU offense occurred in the 4th quarter against WIU. All you have to do is look at the UNI game. The offense had two sustained drives, outside of those two drives the defense were on the field too long allowing UNI to run all over a very tired front 7. Can the SDSU offense keep the confidence gained with the win over WIU? Who knows. The rest of the year for Jacks fans is still a question mark. We could put together a solid string of wins and cause serious heartburn in the conference race. Or we could fold and be lucky to win 3 or 4 games this year.

Saturday against SIU will give a much better indication of which SDSU team shows up the rest of the year.

By the way, for you Panther fans in preparation for Saturday's game in SD: GO UNI!!!!

Silenoz
October 15th, 2010, 12:27 PM
There is a vote from a Delaware fan for each of those schools. So not exactly true

Happened after I posted. Probably just to mess with me!

MplsBison
October 15th, 2010, 02:03 PM
The conference needs a tier of elite teams at the top. UNI, NDSU and SIU all being undefeated or 1-loss would help the conference's national ranking immensely.

Pant8her
October 15th, 2010, 04:27 PM
I think a number of items explain the 1-4 start. A sophomore QB and three freshmen (two rs) receivers starting, six underclassmen starting on offense, a nasty schedule to start the year, and a confidence hangover by said sophomore QB (O'Brien) dating back to the Montana game. Outside of Minnett's running the first sign of life anyone has seen from the SDSU offense occurred in the 4th quarter against WIU. All you have to do is look at the UNI game. The offense had two sustained drives, outside of those two drives the defense were on the field too long allowing UNI to run all over a very tired front 7. Can the SDSU offense keep the confidence gained with the win over WIU? Who knows. The rest of the year for Jacks fans is still a question mark. We could put together a solid string of wins and cause serious heartburn in the conference race. Or we could fold and be lucky to win 3 or 4 games this year.

Saturday against SIU will give a much better indication of which SDSU team shows up the rest of the year.

By the way, for you Panther fans in preparation for Saturday's game in SD: GO UNI!!!!

From what I have been told by my freinds and brother SDSU had a good game with UNI. Unfortunately for SDSU your team turned the ball over in the endzone twice. That would have changed how the game was played. UNI has obviously had similar problems turning the ball over in scoring opportunities.
I wish SDSU luck in your game this week.
BTW is there an internet radio station for USD that I can listen to, even though it will be on at 0230 where I am at (I guess I will not sleep much tomorrow AM).
I also have a freind in Iraq who went to WIU and we banter back and forth via email.

xprayx Prayers for a freinds family in St. Charles MO, his son was killed in Hellmand Wednesday.xprayx

Thanks for your support and God Bless you

SalukiJim
October 15th, 2010, 07:03 PM
From what I have been told by my freinds and brother SDSU had a good game with UNI. Unfortunately for SDSU your team turned the ball over in the endzone twice. That would have changed how the game was played. UNI has obviously had similar problems turning the ball over in scoring opportunities.
I wish SDSU luck in your game this week.
BTW is there an internet radio station for USD that I can listen to, even though it will be on at 0230 where I am at (I guess I will not sleep much tomorrow AM).
I also have a freind in Iraq who went to WIU and we banter back and forth via email.

xprayx Prayers for a freinds family in St. Charles MO, his son was killed in Hellmand Wednesday.xprayx

Actually the SDSU site has a real good game-tracker type of site. It's not radio but almost-real-time play by play. You may have to hunt around on the site, but it's somewhere on gojacks.com.

I "watched" SIU's game that was in SD last year and it was very good.

SalukiJim
October 15th, 2010, 07:09 PM

Sorry for your loss, that was in the STL paper today.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/stcharles/article_14b9a868-d80d-11df-9749-0017a4a78c22.html

Iwuvdatrees
October 15th, 2010, 09:37 PM
MPLSbison, that would be great but I hope you understand parity can be great for the league too because if 1-9 is pretty equal, that means people will respect the league alot more....just like how often do you see an undefeated winner of the SEC or Big 12??? Rarely...it's great for the league...personal opinion tho even if you don't think all teams and programs are created equal.

Iwuvdatrees
October 15th, 2010, 09:51 PM
Pant8her, I am so sorry to hear for your loss, that's terrible...The family is in my prayers....

kab
October 16th, 2010, 11:09 AM
Actually the SDSU site has a real good game-tracker type of site. It's not radio but almost-real-time play by play. You may have to hunt around on the site, but it's somewhere on gojacks.com.

I "watched" SIU's game that was in SD last year and it was very good.

check channel surfing , i see the ndsu game is on today

darell1976
October 16th, 2010, 05:41 PM
As of now the standings look like this:

WIU 2-1
UNI 2-1
ILST 3-2
SDSU 2-2
SIU 2-2
INST 1-1
MSU 1-1
YSU 1-2
NDSU 1-3

BearsCountry
October 16th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Don't look now but Indiana State is tied atop the standings.

MplsBison
October 16th, 2010, 06:43 PM
So far the scores this week strengthen the argument that the league is definitely down this year.

Houndawg
October 16th, 2010, 07:05 PM
So far the scores this week strengthen the argument that the league is definitely down this year.

The Bison are dragging us down. They should find another conference.

Iwuvdatrees
October 16th, 2010, 07:11 PM
hey Bison...what happened in the Indiana State Missouri State game I missed it...HINT OF SARCASM....

UNI Pike
October 16th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Trees - Please make it four in a row.

stevdock
October 16th, 2010, 07:14 PM

You are an idiot. So because the Bison lose by 10 points that means that the league is down?? At least it's not like we are still in the NCC where you knew where the automatic wins were. There aren't any this year. Good luck finding another conference in the country where you can say that.

sycamorefanboy
October 16th, 2010, 07:25 PM

Hey guess what, the sycamores are ahead of you're precious Bison and the great bison just lost to a team the sycamores hung 59 on! How do you like those apples mofo!!!!!

jacksfan29
October 16th, 2010, 07:46 PM

Or that the Bison can't win in the MVFC. I guess we need your UND team to join the fray to "strengthen" the conference.

Sorry to 98% of all Bison fans, that shot is directed at the few.

Nyghtewynd
October 16th, 2010, 07:48 PM
It's official: Terry Allen's probably going to get canned. I'd prefer moving to the Pioneer League, but there it is...

Iwuvdatrees
October 16th, 2010, 07:49 PM
Well MPLSBison...I am just going to say that if I were in your shoes, I would come out and admit I was wrong...but that's just me.

Gil Dobie
October 16th, 2010, 08:26 PM
The Bison are dragging us down. They should find another conference.

Looks more like the Jacks didn't get your message.

UNI Pike
October 16th, 2010, 09:08 PM
It's official: Terry Allen's probably going to get canned. I'd prefer moving to the Pioneer League, but there it is...

We were asking if he will be available as an OC for UNI after the season. Say what you want, TA's teams can always score - they just can't ever stop anyone.

Iwuvdatrees
October 16th, 2010, 09:15 PM
I agree Pike, TA is a great offensive coach...I love the system they run offensively there! I can't see Kurt warner running a Zone Read

UNI Pike
October 16th, 2010, 09:19 PM
I wonder if TA would consider it - he probably could get an OC job at a lower level FBS school. I would love to see him & Farley team up again.

arabian83
October 16th, 2010, 09:24 PM
I hope MPLSBison picks NDSU to win next week over Indiana State, and by ALOT, whenever he picks against ISU we somehow find a way to win

Well MPLSBison...I am just going to say that if I were in your shoes, I would come out and admit I was wrong...but that's just me.

Iwuvdatrees
October 16th, 2010, 09:32 PM
LOl now granted we can't act like we are Ohio State here...We have won 3 games in a row and it makes all of us Indiana State fans really excited but let's be honest if this team somehow makes the playoffs lets hope this turns into a made for tv movie that stars LL Cool J as Trent Miles, just because he's bald...Matt Barr as Ronnie Fouch, and I mean this matt barr http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1204778/, and possibly as a crazy ISU people that want to get rid of the program...Keanu Reeves??????

darell1976
October 16th, 2010, 10:19 PM
Or that the Bison can't win in the MVFC. I guess we need your UND team to join the fray to "strengthen" the conference.
Sorry to 98% of all Bison fans, that shot is directed at the few.

We would definately bring strength to the MVFC...just not this year.xsmiley_wix

darell1976
October 16th, 2010, 10:29 PM
WIU 3-1
INST 2-1
UNI 2-1
ILST 3-2
SDSU 2-2
SIU 2-2
MSU 1-2
NDSU 1-3
YSU 1-3

achrist70
October 16th, 2010, 10:39 PM
How about those trees!

MplsBison
October 17th, 2010, 01:49 PM
How about those trees!

Honestly, what about them? They have two wins in my book and both were over bad teams.

IL St and MO St are bad teams. So is NDSU. So is the entire freakin MVFC this year.

The "best" team should've lost to the "worst" team, but pulled off a miracle with a minute left. Every week now we're seeing the conference's "good" team lose to the conference's "bad" teams. That's a sign of a weak conference.

We'll be lucky to get two teams in the playoffs and both of them will lose in the first round.

And until they prove otherwise, this is my opinion of InSt's program: http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=11844&SPID=695&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=204832572

sycamorefanboy
October 17th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Honestly, what about them? They have two wins in my book and both were over bad teams.

IL St and MO St are bad teams. So is NDSU. So is the entire freakin MVFC this year.

The "best" team should've lost to the "worst" team, but pulled off a miracle with a minute left. Every week now we're seeing the conference's "good" team lose to the conference's "bad" teams. That's a sign of a weak conference.

We'll be lucky to get two teams in the playoffs and both of them will lose in the first round.

And until they prove otherwise, this is my opinion of InSt's program: http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=11844&SPID=695&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=204832572

ok? that article was from last years game. this years sycamores are a vastly different team. I also dont see an opinion just an article. Care to explain?

appfan2008
October 17th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Id say Parity but certainly no one is laying claim to the top...

Iwuvdatrees
October 17th, 2010, 04:35 PM
MPLSBison...why don't you just man up... you said and I quote "Indiana State, Congratulations on your only win against a D-1 program all year." Why don't you just admit we aren't a doormat anymore and we will win AGAIN this year...admit you were wrong man it's ok...

sycamorefan317
October 17th, 2010, 06:32 PM

And how do we prove otherwise, in your opinion?

Indianastate45
October 17th, 2010, 10:14 PM
Don't hate on MLPSBISON. He's probably just learning how to socialize as he hasn't been out of his mom's basement much in the last 40 years. J/K

Squealofthepig
October 18th, 2010, 12:36 AM
As a voter, I'd just like to say, I have no idea how to rate the Valley this year. Seriously. It's not from lack of effort to try. I just have no idea.

I wanted to rate SDSU, UNI and SIU highly. Really. I have great respect for their programs. And then, well, this season happens.

I want to discount Indiana State, and Missouri State, and Youngstown State. And I can't. All show some signs of promise.

I want to completely ignore WIU. Really. It just makes my job easier as a voter. But WIU has won some impressive games. And in the valley, their success is hard to just completely ignore.

I have no idea how to rate NDSU. Their early season win at Kansas is deflated by how horrible a team the Jayhawks are. But, they're not horrible, either.

Is it parity? Or is it mediocrity? Honestly, I have no idea. I'm giving the valley the benefit of the doubt and going with parity, and am trying to rank the teams accordingly. But even still, I find myself scratching my head a lot. The valley conference champ will either be a surprising force to be reckoned with, or a paper tiger. And I personally have no idea which way that will play out!

Big Al
October 18th, 2010, 08:15 AM
The valley conference champ will either be a surprising force to be reckoned with, or a paper tiger. And I personally have no idea which way that will play out!

I think what you are seeing is the overall youth of the conference this year -- I know UNI has something like 6 seniors starting (total for both sides of the ball). I think this comparitive youth is evening out the conference this year and also making for a slightly down year. Now, we're not talking NEC levels of weakness, but definitely not what it was in 07 or 08, for example. I, for one, would be pleasantly surprised if anyone from the MVFC makes it past the quarters in the playoffs.

jacksfan29
October 18th, 2010, 09:18 AM
I think what you are seeing is the overall youth of the conference this year -- I know UNI has something like 6 seniors starting (total for both sides of the ball). I think this comparitive youth is evening out the conference this year and also making for a slightly down year. Now, we're not talking NEC levels of weakness, but definitely not what it was in 07 or 08, for example. I, for one, would be pleasantly surprised if anyone from the MVFC makes it past the quarters in the playoffs.

I would agree with the youth statement. I think you will see the conference work itself out as the year goes on. I also think you are already seeing some of that youth begin to mature, for SDSU it may be too late. In our favor we have already played WIU, UNI and SIU and took 2 of 3. With the remaining schedule seven in a row isn't out of the question but the offense is going to need to continue to play like they did last weekend. As for playoffs, by year end a team like UNI could be tough to beat. They just need to figure out how to get in the endzone. I'm happy we have played them, one of these days I forsee a 50+ breakout day.

Sycamore51
October 18th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Has the MVFC turned into the ACC of FCS?