PDA

View Full Version : Southland Conference - Week Seven Predictions

TexasTerror
October 10th, 2010, 08:29 AM
Welcome to our annual Southland Conference prediction thread. I will not be keeping track of everyone's results week to week, so you are more than welcome to do your part in helping out! For purposes of Lamar's entrance into the league in 2011, we'll also be including them in our predictions!

Week Seven Game Listing
Southeastern Louisiana @ Sam Houston State
Central Arkansas @ Stephen F. Austin
McNeese State @ LSU
Nicholls @ Texas State University - San Marcos
South Alabama @ Lamar

Week Seven TT's Predictions & Quick Analysis

Southeastern Louisiana @ Sam Houston State - The Bearkats are off to a 1-0 start in SLC play and have won three straight. The team is improving rapidly, much quicker than thought. SLU will be the toughest of the bunch this last month of play and SHSU will be on their home field, Homecoming. SAM HOUSTON STATE

Central Arkansas @ Stephen F. Austin - The Lumberjacks are bound for a playoff berth and a win against UCA is just another hurdle. The game is in Nacogdoches, which should bold well for Jeremy Moses and his SFA offense. STEPHEN F. AUSTIN

McNeese State @ LSU - Les Miles is a happy camper this week as there is a 99.5% that he will not have to worry about clock issues in this game. McNeese gets to get on the big stage and hopefully, that means more coverage of the Pokes around the state for at least this week. While a win would be nice, the Tigers will win. LSU

Nicholls @ Texas State University - San Marcos - This is probably the most anti-climatic 'Battle for the Paddle' games we've seen as far as where both teams enter this game. TXST needs to keep winning to get closer to the playoff goal since we know if the Bobcats are in the playoffs, it'll only 'DRIVE' more fans to the stadium as part of their quest to be WAC. Good thing after the SLU loss that Nicholls is next. TEXAS STATE-SAN MARCOS

South Alabama @ Lamar - I've told you once, I'll tell you again. South Alabama is a very legitimate ball club. This will be their first true road game in their short existence, but as SHSU proved - a team can win in Beaumont. I'm hoping that the Cards show some life this game against a meaningful foe or else the Jaguars will drive the Lamar fans out of Provost Umphrey and pass the refineries on their way home. Basketball season is around the corner - oh crap, that's not necessarily a good thing! SOUTH ALABAMA

TT's Predictions All-Time Results
2007 Record: 46-14 (24-4 SLC)
2008 Record: 40-22 (9-18 SLC)
2009 Record: 41-22 (16-12 SLC)
2010 Record: 29-7 (4-1 SLC)
Total: 159-65 (53-35 SLC)

msusig
October 10th, 2010, 09:10 AM
McNeese State @ LSU
South Alabama @ Lamar

31 -7

houtexan
October 10th, 2010, 09:10 AM
McNeese State @ LSU
Nicholls @ Texas State
South Alabama @ Lamar

El Gato
October 10th, 2010, 12:04 PM
Southeastern Louisiana @ Sam Houston State.
I agree with TT that this SHSU has improved quite quickly and could sneak up on some folks in conference this year. The Bobcat D played a big one against the Lions. However, Simmy Yarbough, Branond Collins, and Tyler Beatty are the real deal. While I don't their talent alone was the reason for putting up 49 points on the board (Bobcat turnovers and a horrible showing by the defense). This is a pretty good SLU team, and I have aleays thought that since the season began, and I don't think SHSU will overcome. SLU by 10.

Central Arkansas @ [/B]Stephen F. Austin[/B]
On the flip side of things, I never thought that UCA really deserved all the hype they had received. They were picked to highly in preseason polls and they continued to be ranked despite their OOC performance. The loss to a not very talented, but still improved, NWST squad showed that. Will the Lumberjacks run up the score again...SFA by 30.

McNeese State @ LSU
I figured McNeese would show up against the Lumberjacks, but thought could actually pull through. The last FBS team MSU faced they got throttled by 44, and this time it is an undefeated Top 10 FBS team from the SEC. FBS, SEC, enough said...LSU by 37.

Nicholls @ Texas State
Battle for the Paddle...yay! No more triple option, but still the Colonels have not adjusted as well as the Bearkats to the new coach, being that they are completely overhauling their offense. The only win for the Colonels has been against an NAIA team that just won their second game of the season. Another week for Arndt to get more familiar with the offense and learn from the mistakes of the SLU game (hopefully he'll realize he has All American receiver that he can throw to as well). Should be Bobcats by 24.

South Alabama @ Lamar . This may actually be a really good game. Unbeaten recent start up against Jeckl & Hyde startup Lamar. This will be a good test for Lamar, as I find myself once again agreeing with TT, that this is a legitimate program. They have yet to lose a game in their two year existence but this too will be a good test for the young USA program as they hit the road to a stadium that seems to really be embracing their new team. Don't know where to go with this one, but going to say the home team. Lamar by 3.

TexasTerror
October 10th, 2010, 01:04 PM
I agree with TT that this SHSU has improved quite quickly and could sneak up on some folks in conference this year. The Bobcat D played a big one against the Lions. However, Simmy Yarbough, Branond Collins, and Tyler Beatty are the real deal. While I don't their talent alone was the reason for putting up 49 points on the board (Bobcat turnovers and a horrible showing by the defense). This is a pretty good SLU team, and I have aleays thought that since the season began, and I don't think SHSU will overcome. SLU by 10.

SHSU is coming off several great defensive performances. If we were on the road, I'd go with SLU - but just feel that the team's confidence continues to grow and if there's one to pick off, it's a victory over SLU that is coming off a BIG win over a ranked TXST team.

South Alabama @ Lamar . This may actually be a really good game. Unbeaten recent start up against Jeckl & Hyde startup Lamar. This will be a good test for Lamar, as I find myself once again agreeing with TT, that this is a legitimate program. They have yet to lose a game in their two year existence but this too will be a good test for the young USA program as they hit the road to a stadium that seems to really be embracing their new team. Don't know where to go with this one, but going to say the home team. Lamar by 3.

Lamar got outplayed by Langston (check the stats - Langston had T.O.P., more red zone attempts, etc) and got taken to the shed by SHSU and SFA...

South Alabama may have their toughest challenge, but Lamar has only played up to their competition once - McNeese. And that was their "Super Bowl". Lamar is going to have to play their best game to date and getting in the red zone once against an NAIA does not speak highly of what the Cardinals are coming off of...

TexasTerror
October 10th, 2010, 01:04 PM

SHSU is coming off several great defensive performances. If we were on the road, I'd go with SLU - but just feel that the team's confidence continues to grow and if there's one to pick off, it's a victory over SLU that is coming off a BIG win over a ranked TXST team.

Lamar got outplayed by Langston (check the stats - Langston had T.O.P., more red zone attempts, etc) and got taken to the shed by SHSU and SFA...

South Alabama may have their toughest challenge, but Lamar has only played up to their competition once - McNeese. And that was their "Super Bowl". Lamar is going to have to play their best game to date and getting in the red zone once against an NAIA does not speak highly of what the Cardinals are coming off of...

houtexan
October 10th, 2010, 03:40 PM

TOP does not define 'outplay'. Depends on how you interpret stats. Total Offense was virtually even. And redzone attempts - especially if you come away with a big Goose Egg does not dictate outplaying. In many cases it simply determines where you began the possession. The box score for those interested can be found here: http://www.lamarcardinals.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2010-2011/lu06.html

BamaJag13
October 10th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Is there anywhere I can see game footage of Lamar's foosball team?

lionsrking2
October 10th, 2010, 04:13 PM
Is there anywhere I can see game footage of Lamar's foosball team?

Here ya go...highlights of their comeback win against us...we played with our backup QB and our best D-lineman was out...we were up 28-8, early in the 3rd quarter, with chances to blow it open but fumbled inside their 10, missed a FG, and gave up some big plays on 3rd and long...but I don't care how Lamar peformed the last three weeks, they're dangerous if the QB and their main weapons are healthy...if they're clicking, they can beat you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6gtufNGHQ8

TxState_GO_CATS!
October 10th, 2010, 04:26 PM
Southeastern Louisiana @ Sam Houston State--Lions continue their march toward the playoffs. xnodx SLU 35-20

Central Arkansas @ Stephen F. Austin--UCA defense looks a little suspect. Not a good thing when facing the Jacks, though conference games are always closer than expected. SFA 42-28

McNeese State @ LSU--Maybe the Tigers have a Gator hangover, maybe the Cowboys come out swinging and play with a sense of urgency? xprayx No way Jose. LSU finds some offense and flexes their muscles on defense...LSU 49-7

Nicholls @ Texas State--Battle for the Paddle. Nicholls doesn't seem to be improving in their new offense (great, I just jinxed us). Bobcats have something to prove (at least I hope so)--that they are still a player in this conference. Paddle stays in San Marcos--TxSt. 56-7

South Alabama @ Lamar--This one will be a blowout. USA is good. Lamar has looked not so good. xsmhx USA! USA! USA! 49-7

BamaJag13
October 10th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Here ya go...highlights of their comeback win against us...we played with our backup QB and our best D-lineman was out...we were up 28-8, early in the 3rd quarter, with chances to blow it open but fumbled inside their 10, missed a FG, and gave up some big plays on 3rd and long...but I don't care how Lamar peformed the last three weeks, they're dangerous if the QB and their main weapons are healthy...if they're clicking, they can beat you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6gtufNGHQ8

Thank you, kind sir.

centexguy
October 10th, 2010, 04:42 PM
Lamar went into the Langston game intent on establishing a running game. J.J. Hayes, Lamar's leading receiver, didn't even play, and Bevil is still not 100% so he's not scrambling and making the big plays like before. South Alabama will be a big challenge for Lamar, especially since they had last season to play together as a team and they have a more experienced team (10 seniors compared to 1 for Lamar).

McNeese75
October 10th, 2010, 05:52 PM
Southeastern Louisiana @ Sam Houston State - Kats have had some recent success but they will be overmatched by the Lions

Central Arkansas @ Stephen F. Austin - Hard to not go with the Jacks on this one but you never know.

McNeese State @ LSU -Not a lot to be said about this one.

Nicholls @ Texas State - Colonels offense is pretty anemic so I am sure this one will get ugly.

South Alabama @ Lamar - Going with the home team.

2010 Record

26 - 12

TexasTerror
October 10th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Southeastern Louisiana @ Sam Houston State--Lions continue their march toward the playoffs. xnodx SLU 35-20

You think SLU is going to the playoffs? Believe they are going to win the SLC AQ?

TxState_GO_CATS!
October 10th, 2010, 05:59 PM
You think SLU is going to the playoffs? Believe they are going to win the SLC AQ?

They have a chance. They were my preseason pick...so maybe a little wishful thinking.

They, IMO, have a defense to make SFA even more one-dimensional. Their front 4 is scary...plus Connors in the secondary. Offensively, they are very balanced and as long as Beatty and their main WR remain healthy, they have a shot.

TexasTerror
October 10th, 2010, 06:03 PM
They have a chance. They were my preseason pick...so maybe a little wishful thinking.

They, IMO, have a defense to make SFA even more one-dimensional. They're front 4 is scary...plus Connors in the secondary. Offensively, they are very balanced and as long as Beatty and their main WR remain healthy, they have a shot.

Good analysis... first road game in the SLC this week for SLU will be fun to watch. Going against a team that is rapidly improving on homecoming. SLU will need to win on the road to be in position to take the title, nice test forthcoming - even if SHSU is going to be further down the standings at the end of the year.

Remember - SLU has four road games in league play. They also go to UCA, SFA and Nicholls. That's not bad outside of SFA. UCA already lost at home to NWST and that Nicholls game is always a tricky one for the Lions to navigate. If SLU gets to Thibodaux with something to play for, they better show up.

GeauxLions94
October 10th, 2010, 08:29 PM
Good analysis... first road game in the SLC this week for SLU will be fun to watch. Going against a team that is rapidly improving on homecoming. SLU will need to win on the road to be in position to take the title, nice test forthcoming - even if SHSU is going to be further down the standings at the end of the year.

Remember - SLU has four road games in league play. They also go to UCA, SFA and Nicholls. That's not bad outside of SFA. UCA already lost at home to NWST and that Nicholls game is always a tricky one for the Lions to navigate. If SLU gets to Thibodaux with something to play for, they better show up.

If that's the case TT, don't worry, we'll be there

TexasTerror
October 11th, 2010, 11:52 AM
If that's the case TT, don't worry, we'll be there

Those last two games against Nicholls were simply put - perplexing. Then again, the Colonels were playing for Jay Thomas last go around and SLU was coming off the devastating loss to SFA...

JoshUCA
October 11th, 2010, 12:04 PM
McNeese State @ LSU
South Alabama @ Lamar

GeauxLions94
October 11th, 2010, 09:09 PM
Southeastern Louisiana @ Sam Houston State - It's homecoming for Sam Houston State and it's a homecoming for Southeastern head coach Mike Lucas, who spent 15 years on Ron Randleman's staff and missed the 2008 game in Huntsville after undergoing a heart valve procedure ... Bearkats have won three straight while Lions are coming off big win over No. 15/17 Texas State ... Southeastern's Tyler Beatty is getting into a groove at quarterback after an injury in season-opener and Lions have weapons at running back (Zeke Jones, Sam Fairley) and the triplets (Simmie Yarborough, Brandon Collins, Kory Theodore) ... SHSU has league's top-ranked rushing team while SLU has the league's best run defense (held Texas State to 111 yards below their season average) ... Look for this game to be close for a while before Lions pull away in second half ... SOUTHEASTERN

Central Arkansas @ Stephen F. Austin - UCA had been near unbeatable at Estes Stadium before losing to Northwestern State ... now, the Bears have to go on the road to face SFA squad that's been pretty stout at Homer Bryce Stadium since 2008 ... take the Jacks by a comfortable margin ... STEPHEN F. AUSTIN

McNeese State @ LSU - Enjoy the moment Cowboys, McFans, McBand, etc ... at least McNeese will win in the clock management category ... LSU

Nicholls @ Texas State - Nicholls was held to under 100 yards in loss against Sam Houston State while Texas State lost tough one in LionLand ... Bobcats will look to get back in the win column, but don't count out those pesky Colonels ... if Nicholls can stop the run (and that's going to be tough with Karrington Bush and Dexter Imade in the Texas State backfield), they have a shot at pulling the upset ... look for Tyler Arndt and the Bobcats to win going away ... TEXAS STATE

South Alabama @ Lamar - Two teams battling for the First-Year program trophy (OK, I'm making that up, but it sounds good doesn't it???) ... South Alabama has a Division I win over Nicholls while Lamar has one over ..... over .... sorry, I forgot xoopsx ... if Andre Bevil and J.J. Hayes are close to 100 percent, I'm taking the Cardinals ... I'll go with the road team in this one .... SOUTH ALABAMA

katstrapper
October 12th, 2010, 03:50 AM
Its Homecoming at SHSU this weekend and the Lions come to town. SHSU has won 3 in a row and gaining confidence every week. SHSU comes into the game leadng the SLC in total defense and has the leading rusher in the SLC, Timothy Flanders, who has had 4 straight 100 yd performances. SE La has the top run defense in the conference and a very potent offensive attack led by QB Beatty. I think this game will be a better game than it appears, but I dont think the young Kats are ready to knock off this team..... SE Louisiana

C. Arkansas is licking their wounds after a tough defeat to NW Louisiana. SFA is coming off a tough victory against McNeese St. Jeremy Moses has been lighting up opponents and the Jacks have been playing some D. Central Arkansas still has a hangover lingering from last week..... Stephen F Austin

McNeese State @ LSU
McNeese St will show up, but LSU is on a roll and Baton Rouge is a hard place to play... LSU

After last weekend, who knows which team will show up for Tx State. Everytime one thinks the Bobcatss will get on a roll and take care of business, they seem to find a way to lose. Nicholls St is coming out of last weeks game giving up 12 sacks, rushing for only 29 yds and gaining only 98 total yds of offense under new Head Coach Charlie Stubbs. However, in years passed, this game has been a dogfight. I want to flip a coin on the outcome, but think the home crowd will bring home the win... Texas State

South Alabama @ Lamar

Lamar is still trying to find an identity and seems like their offense has gone away. The Cardinals only managed 14 points against NAIA Langston College. Now comes South Alabama calling. The Jaguars have already beaten a SLC program in Nicholls St (39-21) and comes to Beaumont with a 5-0 record, averaging 51 ppg. Lamar defense better get ready because S. Alabama is averaging 447 yds of offense and they are only giving up 197 ypg on defense.... South Alabama

Retro
October 12th, 2010, 11:18 AM

McNeese State @ LSU All the Gold Helmets will confuse the LSU Players

Nicholls @ Texas State

South Alabama @ Lamar

TexasTerror
October 14th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Louisiana columnist...

Southeastern La. at Sam Houston State (no line), 2 p.m. – A pivotal early-season game in the Southland. The Lions’ win over SHSU last year cemented SLU as a league contender, and this year’s game could do the same after a shockingly easy win over Texas State last weekend. Don’t expect a letdown here. Southeastern La. 34-24.

Nicholls State at Texas State (no line), 6 p.m. – Both teams are 0-1 in Southland play, and that’s where the similarity ends. TSU’s still trying to figure out what happened last week in a big loss to SLU, but the Bobcats are still one of the league’s better teams. The Colonels are not. Texas State 38-10.

McNeese State at LSU (no line), 6 p.m. (Fox Sports Net regional) – LSU hasn’t lost a non-conference regular-season game in eight years, and that national-best 31-game streak isn’t in jeopardy. The Tigers could play two, three, four quarterbacks and would still have way too much juice for a Cowboy team that hasn’t played up to its high standards. LSU 48-14.

http://www.neworleans.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=515618&Itemid=578

TexasTerror
October 16th, 2010, 05:20 PM
Looks like I was the only one who correctly predicted SHSU over SLU xhurrayx!

Early scores...

Sam Houston State 57-7 Southeastern La FINAL
Stephen F. Austin 30-7 Central Arkansas FINAL

houtexan
October 16th, 2010, 06:26 PM
Looks like I was the only one who correctly predicted SHSU over SLU xhurrayx!

Early scores...

Sam Houston State 57-7 Southeastern La FINAL
Stephen F. Austin 30-7 Central Arkansas FINAL
You nailed it. SHSU improves each week.

TexasTerror
October 16th, 2010, 08:41 PM
If I am not mistaken - TXST and Nicholls are going OT...? Colonels score at the end of the fourth to force the extra period(s)...??

purplejacks
October 16th, 2010, 08:48 PM
Go Colonels !!!

Wack the WAC !!!!!!

TxState_GO_CATS!
October 16th, 2010, 08:49 PM
We are SUCKING IT UP tonight.

This may be a game between the two worst teams in our conference this year, sad to say. So much promise for us early on...

TexasTerror
October 16th, 2010, 09:26 PM
Lots of awful weeks between the predictions of SHSU and TXST for just about everyone...

BEAR
October 16th, 2010, 10:37 PM
We are SUCKING IT UP tonight.

This may be a game between the two worst teams in our conference this year, sad to say. So much promise for us early on...

What? you didn't play UCA tonight?! LOL.

El Gato
October 17th, 2010, 12:07 PM
come on now. UCA is not that bad. Not a gret showing against the Lumberjacks, but from what I saw of you guys on SLCTV you should be able to handle the Colonels. You have something we don't, and that is good coaching.

msusig
October 17th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Lots of awful weeks between the predictions of SHSU and TXST for just about everyone...

McNeese did a good job against LSU. The final score is definitely misleading. If we were healthy and didn't have a few mistakes, then I think we could have won that game.

AxeEmJacks
October 17th, 2010, 06:33 PM
McNeese did a good job against LSU. The final score is definitely misleading. If we were healthy and didn't have a few mistakes, then I think we could have won that game.

Let it be known that I was strongly rooting for a big McNeese upset over LSU and it almost happened.