PDA

View Full Version : Good game App!

ElonPride
October 9th, 2010, 06:12 PM
Hard fought, lots of penalties, hostile crowd and two QBs that shredded the other's D.

Seeing that I didn't expect us to win or make it a game, this game ended up impressing me on several fronts.

Again, time to open a beer and cheers for the good game!

PhoenixSupreme
October 9th, 2010, 06:19 PM
I agree... I unfortunately missed the game due to other events, but I give credit where credit is due. Great game to both sides, and while Elon didn't come out on top, I'm happier with a great close game than a blowout. Best of luck on the rest of the season.

Mntneer
October 9th, 2010, 06:54 PM
Good game and good luck for the rest of your season. For the record, I'm not happy seeing Elon eliminated from the playoffs. Personally I pull for App first and the SoCon as a whole second. Hope you guys finish strong.

Aho_Old_Guy
October 9th, 2010, 08:33 PM
Another one for the record books --- the two best QBs in FCS put on quite a show.

Pick yourselves up, dust yourselves off and put a *Micheal Vick* on the Ankle-Biters for us

xprayx

* - in no way condoning what that dumb-arse felon did

gophoenix
October 9th, 2010, 08:59 PM
Congrats to App, again. It's getting old saying it year after year.

Not sure what's worse, to lose a close game or a blowout like in the mid-2000s. Both hurt in different ways. But, honestly, was fun watching the way this one turned out.

PhoenixMan
October 9th, 2010, 10:21 PM
Good game and good luck for the rest of your season. For the record, I'm not happy seeing Elon eliminated from the playoffs. Personally I pull for App first and the SoCon as a whole second. Hope you guys finish strong.

For the record, they aren't eliminated from the playoffs. They have to run the table, and some teams have to knock each other off for it to happen, but when they are actually eliminated I'll let you know.

ASUTodd
October 9th, 2010, 11:22 PM
For the record, they aren't eliminated from the playoffs. They have to run the table, and some teams have to knock each other off for it to happen, but when they are actually eliminated I'll let you know.

If I'm not mistaken, you need 7 division 1 wins to qualify (the magic number as it is referred to).... you only have one Division 1 win with 5 games left. You run the table that gives you 6. Maybe that rule was told to me wrong but i don't see a 6 win team in the playoffs.

walliver
October 9th, 2010, 11:42 PM
If I'm not mistaken, you need 7 division 1 wins to qualify (the magic number as it is referred to).... you only have one Division 1 win with 5 games left. You run the table that gives you 6. Maybe that rule was told to me wrong but i don't see a 6 win team in the playoffs.

Elon would need to win the automatic bid. Not likely at this point, but possible.
The automatic bid does not require 7 D-I wins.

ASUTodd
October 9th, 2010, 11:48 PM
I think our game with you guys will be for the SOCON Championship... pending you guys beat Elon and we beat GSU. Good luck, can't wait to see you guys back in Boone!

SoCon48
October 9th, 2010, 11:50 PM
Another one for the record books --- the two best QBs in FCS put on quite a show.

Pick yourselves up, dust yourselves off and put a *Micheal Vick* on the Ankle-Biters for us

xprayx

OUCH!!!!!!

* - in no way condoning what that dumb-arse felon did

OUCH!

gophoenix
October 10th, 2010, 07:13 AM

That magic number was before the playoffs expanded. Will be interesting to see if that changes this year.

ElonPride
October 10th, 2010, 04:30 PM
That magic number was before the playoffs expanded. Will be interesting to see if that changes this year.

Brutal scheduling pushed Elon into the corner. Duke, GSU, UR and App through six games is pretty tough.

I know our fans jaw back on forth with each other, but good luck to the Apps the rest of the season!

Rekdiver
October 10th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Nope you still need 7.....Season over.

ElonPride
October 10th, 2010, 06:55 PM
Nope you still need 7.....Season over.

Actually, isn't this the supposed "rule" regarding the 7 DI win misconception:

"The won-lost record of a team will be scrutinized to determine a team’s strength of schedule; however, less than seven Division I wins may place a team in jeopardy of not being selected;"

Mntneer
October 10th, 2010, 07:01 PM

"The won-lost record of a team will be scrutinized to determine a team’s strength of schedule; however, less than seven Division I wins may place a team in jeopardy of not being selected;"

Same thing comes up every year. As written, it's not a hard and fast rule, but clearly the committee treats it as such. Seems likely that even with the playoff expansion, Elon is out.

ElonPride
October 10th, 2010, 07:06 PM
Same thing comes up every year. As written, it's not a hard and fast rule, but clearly the committee treats it as such. Seems likely that even with the playoff expansion, Elon is out.

Don't count us out yet! There's still a lot of football left and still a lot to play for! I'm not one to lose hope until it's a mathematical impossibility!

theasushow
October 10th, 2010, 07:24 PM
Don't count us out yet! There's still a lot of football left and still a lot to play for! I'm not one to lose hope until it's a mathematical impossibility!

I understand...I am still hoping Wake Forest can make a run at the BCS championship game, since the BCS standings aren't out yet then it's still a possibility right?

ElonPride
October 10th, 2010, 07:29 PM
I understand...I am still hoping Wake Forest can make a run at the BCS championship game, since the BCS standings aren't out yet then it's still a possibility right?

Burn.

theasushow
October 10th, 2010, 07:34 PM
Burn.

:o

james_lawfirm
October 10th, 2010, 07:39 PM

Yes, that is the rule. The operative word here is "may". Teams without 7 wins MAY be in jeopardy. It does not say "shall". With our new 20 team expanded playoffs, we are almost guaranteed that some team with less than 7 wins and who did not win their AQ will get in. Let the howls begin. Although highly unlikely, if Elon was to run the table, and some other things fall their way, it is remotely possible they could squeek into the playoffs.

PhoenixMan
October 11th, 2010, 09:11 AM

The Socon Champ is in. HIGHLY unlikely, but possible.

PhoenixMan
October 11th, 2010, 09:20 AM
With that being said (the conference champ is in auto), Elon doesn't deserve to make the playoffs unless they do run the table. That won't happen, but I will support them to the bitter end. They aren't a playoff caliber team. What they are is a team with a great QB....and that means a lot in football at any level. However, they aren't very good on defense, the kicking game is awful, and IMO the coaching has been very questionable all year.

gophoenix
October 11th, 2010, 09:44 AM
With that being said (the conference champ is in auto), Elon doesn't deserve to make the playoffs unless they do run the table. That won't happen, but I will support them to the bitter end. They aren't a playoff caliber team. What they are is a team with a great QB....and that means a lot in football at any level. However, they aren't very good on defense, the kicking game is awful, and IMO the coaching has been very questionable all year.

Nah, what we have is what typical teams have in our position. And its going to be clyclical. Recruiting, wholesale, happened 4 years ago. A large portion leaves, then you are left with a young team.

Young receivers have stepped up, but the defense is incredibly green. 2-3 years from now, it will be lots better, then we'll be down again. And that will be the cycle. I don't see any way it is avoided.

PhoenixMan
October 11th, 2010, 01:55 PM
Nah, what we have is what typical teams have in our position. And its going to be clyclical. Recruiting, wholesale, happened 4 years ago. A large portion leaves, then you are left with a young team.

Young receivers have stepped up, but the defense is incredibly green. 2-3 years from now, it will be lots better, then we'll be down again. And that will be the cycle. I don't see any way it is avoided.

Seems that App St. has found a way to avoid it. The way to avoid is to recruit top notch kids each year, so the cupboard never gets but so bare. I'm still waiting for a plausible explanation on not going for the FG from the 6 yd. line in the 3rd quarter to tie the game. I haven't ever been, nor am I now, sold on Lembo as a championship caliber coach.

Aho_Old_Guy
October 11th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Seems that App St. has found a way to avoid it. The way to avoid is to recruit top notch kids each year, so the cupboard never gets but so bare. I'm still waiting for a plausible explanation on not going for the FG from the 6 yd. line in the 3rd quarter to tie the game. I haven't ever been, nor am I now, sold on Lembo as a championship caliber coach.

I'm not sure how Appalachian does it, but whatever it is it seems to be working.

As far as Lembo I think you could do much worse - he suffers from the high expectations placed upon him (this year not withstanding) and his inability to beat JM (Lembo has a lot of company, there).

Over the next month we'll see how well Lembo can rally the troops. I know it doesn't mean much at this point in the season, but when you look at the Top 25 in FCS, it's a safe bet that you guys could easily slobber-knock half of the ranked teams. You have that level of talent (and the coaching, too).

Elon has earned that respect (from most folks, anyway, that know anything about football) --- and let's hope everyone from the fans to the coaching staff can keep the team pumped for the rest of the year. It would be easy to 'tank-it' ...

And if that happens --- you will lose a little of that respect you have worked so hard to earn :) you guys (I hope) are better than that.