PDA

View Full Version : ORV Week 6 Results

JMUNJ08
October 9th, 2010, 02:58 PM
A lot of people like to reshuffle their top 25 but don't really pay attention to some teams who keep putting up W's with the schedule they are given. I wanted to start this before voting opened for everyone to see what other voters already have. Below are the teams that were ORV in last weeks polls. Post scores and see if you can convince others to put some other quality teams in the Top 25!

AGS
Others receiving votes (minimum of 5 votes): Furman (39), Univ. South Dakota (33), New Hampshire (29), Southern Illinois (21), Pennsylvania (20), Chattanooga (17), Robert Morris (15), Youngstown St. (14), Illinois St. (11), Bethune-Cookman (10), McNeese St. (10), Missouri St. (7), Grambling St. (6),

TSN
Others receiving votes: Northern Arizona 373, Central Arkansas 286, McNeese State 240, Furman 222, South Dakota 174, Penn 158, Bethune-Cookman 98, Chattanooga 93, Illinois State 76, Youngstown State 73, Grambling State 61, Jacksonville 49, Missouri State 43, Hampton 36, Jackson State 29, Delaware State 23, UT Martin 22, Old Dominion 17, Tennessee State 16, South Dakota State 16, Alcorn State 15, Robert Morris 15, Harvard 12, Rhode Island 12, Brown 11, Colgate 9, Weber State 9, Dayton 8, Sacramento State 6, Gardner-Webb 5, Maine 4, Georgetown 2, Virginia Military 1.

Teams that I think should garner more votes after this weeks results:
Robert Morris 5-1 (4-0 NEC) - They won a close one with Monmouth but already have played 4 conference games and in a collision with CCSU for the auto bid. Yes, they lost to Dayton but it was game #1 and on the road. This team could maybe even steal an at large in they only lose to CCSU the rest of the way?

Monmoth 16 @ Robert Morris 17

Jacksonville 5-1 (3-0 PFL) Yes, they are PFL, played a below D1 game, and got spanked by ASU. But they have been playing very well. They beat ODU and they are getting more credit for their record just because they aren't in the PFL? Alot of ODU's games aren't much better than Jax's. Yes they do have Cal Poly today and looked good against W&M but close loses are just that, loses. MANY teams lose to App St. by 30 and don't have their entire season based on that. They beat Drake today only by 5 but were up 31-9 at half! Clearly showed their dominance and then let up on the peddle almost too much but hung on. Lets show the Dolphins some love!

Drake 34 @ Jacksonville 39

Make your case and destroy mine all you want!

aceinthehole
October 9th, 2010, 03:19 PM
If they can beat NDSU at home today, I think voters have to take a good look at Youngstown State (3-2, 1-1 MVFC) for the top-25.

I also would look closer at Furman (3-2, 1-1 SoCon).

JMUNJ08
October 10th, 2010, 12:15 AM
I wanted to add another. Since we have several teams in the top 25 that have 2 or 3 loses I think its time to put in Chattanooga. They are 3-2 winning 3 straight after losing to 2 of the top 5 teams in the country. Both loses were close and they had a real chance vs. App St. This is a solid team that can make some noise for #2 in the SoCon. I know they have been gaining followers but let's get the bandwagon to top 25 status!

chattanoogamocs
October 10th, 2010, 01:03 AM
I wanted to add another. Since we have several teams in the top 25 that have 2 or 3 loses I think its time to put in Chattanooga. They are 3-2 winning 3 straight after losing to 2 of the top 5 teams in the country. Both loses were close and they had a real chance vs. App St. This is a solid team that can make some noise for #2 in the SoCon. I know they have been gaining followers but let's get the bandwagon to top 25 status!

Thanks for the support!

The JSU game was even closer...the Mocs led 58:44 of the game (17-14)...and gave up a 70+ yard TD bomb on a missed coverage by a true freshman...to many Mocfans, that one hurt more than the ASU loss (the difference being, the UTC defense had pretty much run out of gas in the 4th qt against ASU and was trying to hang on...where the Mocs "had" JSU game and blew it one big play)

The Mocs have led (or tied) 280 of 300 minutes played so far this season (and 12 of that was in the 1st qt of the WCU game...they scored on their series, the Mocs came back and scored and then never trailed again).

Those 8 minutes (and 5 points) vs ASU and JSU are the difference between 3-2 and 5-0. It will drive you crazy (as a mocfan) if you think too much about it.

I think the Mocs are worthy of strong consideration this week, but I personally will not be offended of they are still right outside the rankings...but, if they beat Georgia Southern at Finley on Saturday, then I think they should be a lock for the top 25.

chattanoogamocs
October 10th, 2010, 01:19 AM
As for Jacksonville...I would hope that a team like the Mocs got in before the Dolphins (no offense intended).

If a scholarship team played that kind of schedule, they would be derided, and rightly so, for only having a high win total because they played a bunch of non-scholarship and/or non-DI teams (see arguments against Ga State).

Plus, if you look at Chattanooga vs Jacksonville, you only need compare head to head vs ASU. UTC took ASU to the limit while JU wasn't even competitive.

(I mean c'mon...JU literally played Webber Intl at a high school stadium...how can you vote a team in the top 25 that played in a high school stadium!!!! :))

JUDolphins
October 10th, 2010, 10:29 AM
In retort to the poster from Chattanooga -

UTC was at HOME against Appy State and couldn't finish the deal. ASU scored the 35 points in the second half, 28 in the 4th quarter alone.

ASU was in a battle for 3 quarters against JU. It was 17-14 midway through the third before ASU converted what seemed like 20 3rd down conversions against a very young defense.

As for the Webber game at a high school stadium, JU's field renovations didn't get done in time so the game was moved off campus. Those things you can't control - and really shouldn't even come into your thoughts when voting for a team in the top 25.

It's all about what you've done. JU is 5-1 and is beating everyone it plays except App State. Chattanooga is playing well, but they've got nobody to blame but themselves for losing the first two games and not being in the top 25.

I think a JU-UTC game would be a heckuva matchup.

chattanoogamocs
October 10th, 2010, 01:39 PM
In retort to the poster from Chattanooga -

UTC was at HOME against Appy State and couldn't finish the deal. ASU scored the 35 points in the second half, 28 in the 4th quarter alone.

ASU was in a battle for 3 quarters against JU. It was 17-14 midway through the third before ASU converted what seemed like 20 3rd down conversions against a very young defense.

As for the Webber game at a high school stadium, JU's field renovations didn't get done in time so the game was moved off campus. Those things you can't control - and really shouldn't even come into your thoughts when voting for a team in the top 25.

It's all about what you've done. JU is 5-1 and is beating everyone it plays except App State. Chattanooga is playing well, but they've got nobody to blame but themselves for losing the first two games and not being in the top 25.

I think a JU-UTC game would be a heckuva matchup.

First off, the high school stadium thing was a joke (as denoted by the smiley face at the end of the sentence --> :))...sorry that went over your head.

But considering you are trying to make a 1-point loss on the final play sound comaprable to a THIRTY-ONE point loss, proves to me that you have no common sense at all.

The Dolphins have beaten NO ONE (ok, I might give a little bit of credence to ODU, because they are the only team you've beaten that has managed to actually beat a scholarship team)...the rest of the schedule is weak, bordering on gawd awful...beating non-schollie 1-4 Davidson (who lost 41-13 to Lenior Rhyne), 1-5 San Diego (who lost 42-14 to Azusa Pacific)...WOW, forget about the top 25, JU should be in the top 10!

If the Dophins played Chattanooga, the game would be the same as ASU...you would hang around for a half and then get blown out.

Best of luck this week against 0-6 Valparaiso. No doubt another ESPN instant classic!

BlueHenSinfonian
October 10th, 2010, 01:58 PM
The beauty of our playoff system is that at the end of the day we can avoid these questions about how much strength of schedule and quality of wins determines the right to play for the NC. The champion from each conference (barring those that choose to segregate themselves from the rest of the FCS) should get a chance to play for the title.

The odds are JU wouldn't make it past the first round, and thus the playoff system works as it's supposed to. Getting to the heart of the matter neither JU nor the Mocs have much of a chance of ending up in the NC game, so fighting about who gets to go on the road to lose a first round playoff game seems a bit silly. I'd hand the opportunity to JU though because winning a conference trumps coming in third in a tougher conference. If Chatty can't make the playoffs playing in the SoCon they should address the program's weaknesses or move to a less challenging conference.

chattanoogamocs
October 10th, 2010, 02:48 PM
The beauty of our playoff system is that at the end of the day we can avoid these questions about how much strength of schedule and quality of wins determines the right to play for the NC. The champion from each conference (barring those that choose to segregate themselves from the rest of the FCS) should get a chance to play for the title.

The odds are JU wouldn't make it past the first round, and thus the playoff system works as it's supposed to. Getting to the heart of the matter neither JU nor the Mocs have much of a chance of ending up in the NC game, so fighting about who gets to go on the road to lose a first round playoff game seems a bit silly. I'd hand the opportunity to JU though because winning a conference trumps coming in third in a tougher conference. If Chatty can't make the playoffs playing in the SoCon they should address the program's weaknesses or move to a less challenging conference.

I'm sorry...where did anyone mention playoffs in this thread? I thought this thread was about the top 25 poll.

BlueHenSinfonian
October 10th, 2010, 03:04 PM
I'm sorry...where did anyone mention playoffs in this thread? I thought this thread was about the top 25 poll.

To the point that the only real purpose of the polls is as a predictor for who will be in the playoffs. For the same reason I'd argue to keep Ivy and SWAC teams out of the polls entirely.

chattanoogamocs
October 10th, 2010, 03:13 PM
To the point that the only real purpose of the polls is as a predictor for who will be in the playoffs. For the same reason I'd argue to keep Ivy and SWAC teams out of the polls entirely.

Not really, but your entitled to your opinion.

And thanks for continuing to move the topic further off point.

JMUNJ08
October 10th, 2010, 03:26 PM
Not really, but your entitled to your opinion.

And thanks for continuing to move the topic further off point.

Severly....

Looking at the ORV's and this weeks results we could see Furman, UNH & Southern Illinois back in the polls. I won't agree with 3 loss UNH or S. Ill as other teams are more consistent even if their SOS isn't as good. I have Robert Morris & Jacksonville moving further up my poll while Chatty gets back in toward the end with Bethune-Cookman as well moving up to 5-0. SCSt might move them out of there next week though...

The biggest issue for the ORV's is the top 25 didn't fluctuate as much as the ORV's did. The top 20-30 should be bunched more together with less random teams picking up only 1 or 2 votes.

Richmond SHOULD fall out as they have their punter playing QB who threw 5 picks (UNH loss INT's but they aren't that good). The other should be Elon who now has loss #4 and can't even get to to 7 D1 wins. Western Illinois, who was much higher on my board than most other voters, may be the 3rd casualty...

chattanoogamocs
October 10th, 2010, 03:38 PM
To further expound in the importance of the top 25 poll, outside of one tool (not a predictor), of many, for the playoff committee...

Being recognized in the top 25 is a status symbol of any program...helps with recruiting, promotes pride in the school and alums...let's the rest of the FCS country know who the good teams are (even if they aren't quite ready to make the playoffs).

This is doubly important for a program that has been down for a long time like Chattanooga. Honestly, I don't think UTC is a playoff team this year (they would have to go 7-1 in the SoCon to do it...not sure they are to that level yet), but making the top 25 would be a nice feather in the cap of a program that is, hopefully...legitamately, on the rise.

BlueHenSinfonian
October 10th, 2010, 04:31 PM
To further expound in the importance of the top 25 poll, outside of one tool (not a predictor), of many, for the playoff committee...

Being recognized in the top 25 is a status symbol of any program...helps with recruiting, promotes pride in the school and alums...let's the rest of the FCS country know who the good teams are (even if they aren't quite ready to make the playoffs).

This is doubly important for a program that has been down for a long time like Chattanooga. Honestly, I don't think UTC is a playoff team this year (they would have to go 7-1 in the SoCon to do it...not sure they are to that level yet), but making the top 25 would be a nice feather in the cap of a program that is, hopefully...legitamately, on the rise.

I can agree with that, I suppose bragging rights have their purpose.

GeauxLions94
October 10th, 2010, 05:34 PM
I'd like to make a case for Southeastern Louisiana (yeah, I know ... homer pick) for you to consider.

Sure, they're 2-3 on the year with a one-point loss to Lamar ... other two losses are at FBS schools Tulane (27-21) and Louisiana-Monroe (21-20).

Wins over UT Martin (24-10) and No. 15/17 Texas State (49-24).

That's all