PDA

View Full Version : Del St AD In Charge of I-A Move

TexasTerror
February 4th, 2006, 07:00 AM
Is this just a recent develop, the Delaware St desire to move I-A? They really don't mention much in the article outside of that one line about being "charged with devising a plan". Mostly talks about how they have improved the program there and how they got more $$$ coming in than before...
----------
Bell, given a three-year contract for $190,000 per year, the most DSU has paid an athletic director, said when he was hired he was told to fill a number of administrative positions. Since his arrival, the athletics budget has increased from $5.6 million to nearly $8.3 million, he said.

The increases in spending, Bell said, are necessary to give the school an athletic department comparable to those of major colleges, as sought by DSU President Allen Sessoms. Bell also is charged with devising a plan to move the football program from NCAA Division I-AA to I-A, the highest level of college football.

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060204/SPORTS08/602040338/-1/NEWS01

blukeys
February 4th, 2006, 09:10 AM
Is this just a recent develop, the Delaware St desire to move I-A? They really don't mention much in the article outside of that one line about being "charged with devising a plan". Mostly talks about how they have improved the program there and how they got more $$$ coming in than before...
----------
Bell, given a three-year contract for $190,000 per year, the most DSU has paid an athletic director, said when he was hired he was told to fill a number of administrative positions. Since his arrival, the athletics budget has increased from $5.6 million to nearly $8.3 million, he said.

The increases in spending, Bell said, are necessary to give the school an athletic department comparable to those of major colleges, as sought by DSU President Allen Sessoms. Bell also is charged with devising a plan to move the football program from NCAA Division I-AA to I-A, the highest level of college football.

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060204/SPORTS08/602040338/-1/NEWS01

Dr. Sessoms is serious about a I-A move. But, don't look for it to happen any time soon if at all. Much of the increased expenditures comes from increased scollies for football and the equivalencies in women's sports. So some of the figures are a little misleading. The Civic Center Idea was shot down last year and has no more practical value this year.

DSU is much more dependent on state funding than UD. The State currently has a huge shortfall in funding approved highway projects. Another 60 million commtiment does not appear likely.

TexasTerror
February 4th, 2006, 09:23 AM
Delaware St would have to be an I-A independent. No chance the Big East takes them in and it's doubtful to me that the MAC or C-USA would either. Where would they go in I-A? It's a far-fetched vision, but we seem to get these all the time in I-AA circles...

Tribefan
February 4th, 2006, 11:57 AM
The Sun Belt would take anyone.

February 4th, 2006, 11:58 AM
Is this just a recent develop, the Delaware St desire to move I-A?...
They have talked about it for years. I remember when Bell was AD at San Jose State he said they would rather drop football than move to I-AA.