PDA

View Full Version : Griz Question

nlwwln
February 3rd, 2006, 04:54 PM
For you montana guys I was just wonderin what is keeping the school from moving its football program to 1A? I would think that there would be so much to gain by making the move and the football program obviously has all the credentials. Seems like they would be a great fit for the WAC or mountain west. My guess is that if it hasnt been brought up by now then they are really in no hurry to make the jump. Out of all the 1AA schools I think Montana would have the most success and smothest transition from 1AA to 1A.

ncbears
February 3rd, 2006, 05:15 PM
For you montana guys I was just wonderin what is keeping the school from moving its football program to 1A? I would think that there would be so much to gain by making the move and the football program obviously has all the credentials. Seems like they would be a great fit for the WAC or mountain west. My guess is that if it hasnt been brought up by now then they are really in no hurry to make the jump. Out of all the 1AA schools I think Montana would have the most success and smothest transition from 1AA to 1A.

You must be knew to the board.

:deadhorse

Wellington
February 3rd, 2006, 05:42 PM
To sum it up, Montana fans expect to win, and if we joined 1-A, we would probably lose quite a bit more than now, which would in turn kill the fan base most likely.--I am farely new to this board as well; this is just a guess...

DuckDuckGriz
February 3rd, 2006, 05:45 PM
We like to legitimately compete for a real national title every year. Enough said.

grizband
February 3rd, 2006, 06:14 PM
We like being a big fish in a small pond. At I-AA we are one of the top 10 programs every year, sort of like a USC or Texas in I-A. We make a ton of money off of our home games, which Im sure would go down if we started to have mediocre seasons at the I-A level. Personally, I don't think Montana should move up. I think we are great where we are now.

Grizo406
February 3rd, 2006, 06:20 PM
Speaking only for myself...I enjoy the "Big Fish" status.

True, the BSC pond is getting quite a bit bigger, and parity in our conference, and throughout I-AA seems to becoming the norm.

I'd say attend a Griz home game at Washington/Grizzly Stadium sometime in September, and you'll see why quite a few fans want to stay in a Conference that decides a true, National Champion on the field.

UNH 40
February 3rd, 2006, 06:27 PM
I think that montana would be very competative in the WAC or mountain West

Ronbo
February 3rd, 2006, 06:34 PM
We've actually had polls at eGriz and it's about 60% against and 40% for. The folks that are for going to the WAC are Basketball supporters as well and see a great jump in the quality of the Basketball program (men's and women's) in the WAC.

The benefits for football would be schools like Boise State, Hawaii, Fresno State, Washington State, Colorado State coming to our stadium for games which most likely would offset the fact that we wouldn't have as good a record as we do now. Basketball has proven over and over that bigtime opponents draw crowds. Year after year our biggest crowds in basketball are the Pac 10 schools or Gonzaga. And guess what we lose more of those games than we win.

nlwwln
February 3rd, 2006, 06:42 PM
You must be knew to the board.

:deadhorse

sorry for insulting your intelligence, i have no room to speak compared to your whopping 339 post. xidiotx

buckp
February 3rd, 2006, 06:50 PM
It would be a sad day for all of I-AA if the Griz moved to I-A....:(

(My second favorite team.) ;)

Ronbo
February 3rd, 2006, 07:09 PM
Don't worry our AD has stated that it won't be anytime soon. Montana wants I-A to shake out their Conference moves and stabilize before we would even consider it. Once I-A moves to a Bowl Championship Series and Playoff Championship Series we'll see where we stand. No offense to the non schollie schools, but I believe there should be minimum scholarship rules for every division. Non schollie uncompetitive football programs makes I-AA a laughing stock to I-A.

DuckDuckGriz
February 3rd, 2006, 07:10 PM
sorry for insulting your intelligence, i have no room to speak compared to your whopping 339 post. xidiotx

Don't worry. Alot of UNC Bears fans are a little bitter right now (and possibly rightfully so) because of the posts of a few of our own Griz faithful regarding UNC's recent entry into the Big Sky Conference.

But look at me, I bring another dead horse.

ncbears
February 3rd, 2006, 10:21 PM
Don't worry. Alot of UNC Bears fans are a little bitter right now (and possibly rightfully so) because of the posts of a few of our own Griz faithful regarding UNC's recent entry into the Big Sky Conference.

But look at me, I bring another dead horse.

I am not bitter towards anyone and this doesn't have anything to do with UNC. This is a tired topic and most people who follow 1aa football know that.

DaGriz
February 3rd, 2006, 11:01 PM
Because the San Diego Toilet Bowl or what ever we would be in would suck. Look at the previous Big Sky powers Nevada, Idaho and Boise St. Boise is the only one doing well and they aren't even close to competing for a N.C. I wouldn't be opposed to it if I-A ever went to a playoff system and everybody had a shot at a national championship. Until then I don't want the move.

grizbeer
February 3rd, 2006, 11:17 PM
Just to add to what everybody else has written, the Griz have already been in big time football - Montana was a member of what is now the Pac 10 for the first 50 years, then in a conference that included many of the WAC and MWC teams for 10 years. There was some good years and bad years, but there was never a chance to really compete, and that was when Montana was in the top tier for income per capita, with millionaires running wild in the state.

I-AA is where Montana has had real success, and I think for the most part Montanan's are thankful for that success, and because of that are also loyal to I-AA.

The other factor is that there are a **** load of colleges and Universities in Montana (for our population base) and all are vying for those valuable state dollars, and politically UM is probably the least popular campus in the state due to it's liberal politics. (Montanan's seem to have a love-hate relationship with the University, except MSU alums who just hate it :D )

nlwwln
February 4th, 2006, 12:18 AM
i just cant get over that website, ive watched every highlight game from 05

Canyoncat
February 4th, 2006, 12:32 AM
Look I am a Cat fan, but there are two reasons why the Griz will not go to I-A within the near future. I do say that I believe they deserve a shot at it. However:

1) Montana does not have the tax base to support the extra scholarships it will take to allow the U of M to move to I-A. That means football and what ever women's sports that will need to be added to comply with title 9.

2) The Montana Regents will not allow the U of M to move up until MSU is ready to make the move (and we are no where near ready).

3) (repeat of 1) We do not have the tax base to support two I-A football schools. I wish we did, but with under 1 million population in the state it will not happen.

This is not meant as smack just my opinion. The Griz do deserve a shot at a I-A conference, but it will not happen without the regents approval and if the tax base improves.

Basically what will need to happen is Western, Northern, Eastern, and Tech will have to basically close doors (athletic doors and become JC colleges) for Montana to be able to afford a 2 I-A programs let alone 2!

Tod
February 4th, 2006, 02:31 AM
Look I am a Cat fan, but there are two reasons why the Griz will not go to I-A within the near future. I do say that I believe they deserve a shot at it. However:

1) Montana does not have the tax base to support the extra scholarships it will take to allow the U of M to move to I-A. That means football and what ever women's sports that will need to be added to comply with title 9.

2) The Montana Regents will not allow the U of M to move up until MSU is ready to make the move (and we are no where near ready).

3) (repeat of 1) We do not have the tax base to support two I-A football schools. I wish we did, but with under 1 million population in the state it will not happen.

This is not meant as smack just my opinion. The Griz do deserve a shot at a I-A conference, but it will not happen without the regents approval and if the tax base improves.

Basically what will need to happen is Western, Northern, Eastern, and Tech will have to basically close doors (athletic doors and become JC colleges) for Montana to be able to afford a 2 I-A programs let alone 2!

Agreed 100%. MSU is progressing swiftly, but is not quite ready to make that move. I think they were #12 in attendance in I-AA in 2005. That's great, but needs to be better.

As a Griz fan, and a fan of Montana football in general, I will fight tooth and nail (though I don't have many teeth and my nails are ragged) any move that would somehow separate UM and MSU. In other words, if there was to be a move to I-A, we don't go without the 'Cats, period.

Lastly, I like I-AA football. While moving to I-A would be kind of exciting in a way, I don't want to see either the Griz or the 'Cats become an Idaho. Better to be competative than to go down that drain.

Griz and 'Cats are I-AA all the way!!

:hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped:

JALMOND
February 4th, 2006, 04:56 AM
One thing as well that has only been slightly touched on is the state money available. The only way that the state of Wyoming can afford to have a I-A program is by having only one 4-year university. Montana has five. For comparison, Oregon, a state with substantially more population, has six.

Imagine the chaos in Helena if the state decides to fund I-A universities in Montana. My guess, not only would Butte, Dillon and Havre have to close, but the real kicker would be that either Missoula or Bozeman would close as well. That right there is why there will be no I-A football in Montana, until the tax base substantially increases.

kalm
February 4th, 2006, 11:41 AM
You can't do any better than what you have right now. Great facilities, sold-out stadiums, statewide support and beyond. Even if none of that changed with a move up, the number of wins, post season games, and shots at the chipper would.

Stupid notion : smh :