PDA

View Full Version : Old UMass Feasibility Study for Move-up

Green26
October 5th, 2010, 05:00 PM
Does anyone have a link to the prior UMass feasibility study considering move-up to FBS? I once found it on the Internet several years ago, and read it, but didn't find it with a quick search when I last looked.

Let me know. Thanks.

superman7515
October 5th, 2010, 05:48 PM
Initial passage of exploration... (http://media.umassp.edu/massedu/bot/6-27%20Athletics%20Minutes.pdf)

I found another link saying the release would be October 2008, but can't find any meeting minutes from that month.

Maroon&White
October 5th, 2010, 06:47 PM
Does anyone have a link to the prior UMass feasibility study considering move-up to FBS? I once found it on the Internet several years ago, and read it, but didn't find it with a quick search when I last looked.

Let me know. Thanks.

I can't seem to find it online, but I saved a copy of the 2003 study on my computer. Is that the one you are talking about, or the most recent one in 2007?

Green26
October 5th, 2010, 07:40 PM
I can't seem to find it online, but I saved a copy of the 2003 study on my computer. Is that the one you are talking about, or the most recent one in 2007?

I think it must have been the 2007 one. It was long. It concluded that the costs of moving up were way too much at that time. There was a need for alot of facility costs.

I think I found it last time, by putting in the name of the consultant. It was hard to find last time too.

Maroon&White
October 5th, 2010, 08:42 PM
The one from 2003 is 11 pages long.

Jackman
October 5th, 2010, 10:33 PM
The 2003 study was a semi-followup to the 1999 study. The 2007 task force never produced a report, as far as I know. I guess if we're doing these every 4 years, 2011 is the next one.

I don't recall reading anything in the 2003 study that would be of use to a Montana fan, regardless of whether you're pro-FBS or anti-FBS. The 2003 study wasn't much more than generalizations and speculation wrapped around a comparison with peer institutions. I hope we didn't pay much for that.

EmeryZach
October 6th, 2010, 09:43 AM
I recall from my Sport Management classes in '07 and '08 that one of the biggest things the task force had a problem with was building all new roads and such. Getting 30,000 people to Amherst via Route 9 was seen as a huge hurdle.

EmeryZach
October 6th, 2010, 09:45 AM
I used to have a copy of all of the studies because it was required reading in my College Athletics class, but I think I threw everything away after graduation.

bkrownd
October 6th, 2010, 07:21 PM
I recall from my Sport Management classes in '07 and '08 that one of the biggest things the task force had a problem with was building all new roads and such. Getting 30,000 people to Amherst via Route 9 was seen as a huge hurdle.

HahHah, and that's AFTER the Coolidge bridge refitting... Frankly I think an influx of 10,000-20,000 (lets be realistic) outsiders would seriously damage the cozy atmosphere of Amherst and Noho. One of the beautiful things about Amherst is how small/intimate and quiet it is. The last time I was at a football game a few years back with a big McGuirk crowd it was a crazy traffic jam in Amherst, complete with whats-his-face zooming around town in his Aston Martin. I don't want to see more pavement in town to accomodate twice that number.