PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Power Rankings 10-4

JALMOND
October 5th, 2010, 01:30 AM
What a weekend in the Big Sky. After the road team winning only two games in the previous four weeks, three teams won on the road. One team scored 60 points and still lost. There was a blowout in what could have been the battle for the basement. Things may becoming clearer, at least this week. Remains to be seen about the next week. Here are this week's power rankings (last week). All are my opinion and all are open for discussion.

1. Montana State (1)---The Bobcats felt they had the game all wrapped up at Sacramento State, only to see the Hornets come storming back. In the end, the Bobcats overcame the heat, the Hornets, and the crowd to get a hard fought win on the road. Possibly a little to close for comfort but a good win on the road that the Bobcats will take. This week, they welcome Portland State to their home field. Time for things to be easier?

2. Montana (2)---People may have thought that the Grizzlies, being down a bit during the year, could possibly falter to Northern Colorado while playing on the road. But any hope Northern Colorado may have had to earn an upset quickly evaporated with a strong effort from the Grizzlies. Are the Grizzlies turning a corner and returning to the Griz of old? This week, they play Idaho State in the cozy confines of Wash-Griz. Should be no problem, but then again, last year should have been no problem.

3. Eastern Washington (3)---With no Jones available and a trip to Weber State on the horizon, things were not looking great for the chaotic Eagles. But like all good teams do, they rallied behind themselves and got a much needed win on the road. Even with the win, playing without Jones is not what they want to do on a regular basis, but now they may have shown that others can pick up the slack if needed. This week, it may be needed as they welcome Northern Arizona to their home field. Maybe tough, but now a can-do attitude prevails.

4. Northern Arizona (4)---For awhile, it looked like the Jacks would fall victim to their trap game as they trailed against Great West foe Southern Utah. However, the Jacks were able to escape Southern Utah with a win in a hard fought game. Maybe a trap game, but they were not trapped in the end. Not a chance to get a breather as they continue their road odyssey heading this time to conference foe Eastern Washington. Time to make a statement for the year.

5. Sacramento State (5)---Where most teams saw defeat, the Hornets saw opportunity against Montana State, although they probably would not want to do it again. Losing after scoring 61 points in 100 degree heat against the mighty Montana State team, things have to get easier, don't they? The Hornets want so much to get a marquee win to show they belong. This week, not a marquee game but a test as Northern Colorado comes calling. Possibly a trap when the Hornets do not need a trap?

6. Portland State (7)---In the midst of the other big games going on in the conference, the one game that wasn't getting big press was the Vikings playing Idaho State. Yet, like most good Big Sky teams, the Vikings quickly deposed of Idaho State in awesome fashion. When they step out of the FCS, the Vikings are terrible, but playing at their level has gone fairly well so far. This week, storm clouds are on the horizon as they head to Montana State. The Vikings can play, but can they stay close to Montana State?

7. Weber State (6)---Coming into the season, the Wildcats had Higgins but a lot of questions surrounding the rest. Now, those questions are coming to fruition as the Wildcats had many chances against Eastern Washington, but ill-timed mistakes doomed the Wildcat effort. Are they just snakebit or are they really this bad? Well, they get a week off to figure out what is happening.

8. Northern Colorado (8)---A chance for an elusive win over Montana gave the Bears hope for a great jumpstart to the rest of the season. However, they had to play the game and Montana showed them why Montana is a great team and the Bears are still hoping. After much hype before the season, the Bears are still looking for a great win. They have a chance to get it this weekend, but they have to go on the road to get it. They head to Sacramento State, another team hoping for a good win.

9. Idaho State (9)---The Bengals had a chance to get a win and show that they at least belong in the discussion of the Big Sky. Then Portland State got on them early and didn't let up, sending the Bengals to a very painful loss. For a team that thought they were improving, the Bengals looked anything but a good team. As a result, they are still waiting for a chance to get a win. This week, chances are not much better as they head on the road to face Montana. Well, then again, no one gave them much chance last year.

I Bleed Purple
October 5th, 2010, 02:42 AM
7. Weber State (6)---Coming into the season, the Wildcats had Higgins but a lot of questions surrounding the rest. Now, those questions are coming to fruition as the Wildcats had many chances against Eastern Washington, but ill-timed mistakes doomed the Wildcat effort. Are they just snakebit or are they really this bad? Well, they get a week off to figure out what is happening.

Neither. They're just stupid on the field.

I'd still put them ahead of you, though.

JALMOND
October 5th, 2010, 10:31 AM
Neither. They're just stupid on the field.

I'd still put them ahead of you, though.

Right now, I have PSU ahead of WSU based on the performance of a common opponent mainly (Davis). This week, a kind of a catch 22 for the two. If the Vikings could win against Montana State on the road (or at least stay close) a much better argument could be made that they belong ahead of the Wildcats. If the Vikings get blown out (more likely to happen) then the Wildcats could leapfrog them even with a bye.

Walkon79
October 5th, 2010, 11:16 AM
This is another opportunity for a trap game for MSU, with NAU looming on the road. But it's homecoming and we didn't get anybody suspended this week :) so I like our chances.

wapiti
October 5th, 2010, 02:12 PM
I agree with Jalmond's ranking. Portland ahead of Weber based on the Davis games.

The team I am not sure where to put is NAU. They could be anywhere from 1st to 4th. This weekend should give us a better measuring stick for them.

And I agree with the Bobcat game being a trap game for them. PSU has played better than I thought they would. So I fully expect them to come to Bozeman ready to win.

JALMOND
October 5th, 2010, 04:37 PM
And I agree with the Bobcat game being a trap game for them. PSU has played better than I thought they would. So I fully expect them to come to Bozeman ready to win.

From what I heard amongst the team and coaches, Burton had PSU going to Eugene with expectations of winning. Some of the players actually were bummed out over their performance there. Big improvement over last year. Glanville always talked us up, but watching the product on the field, you had to wonder if anyone approached the game with the idea that we could win (or were we just looking for "moral" victories).

Walkon79
October 6th, 2010, 11:00 AM
I agree with Jalmond's ranking. Portland ahead of Weber based on the Davis games.

The team I am not sure where to put is NAU. They could be anywhere from 1st to 4th. This weekend should give us a better measuring stick for them.

I hope we're both wrong about that