PDA

View Full Version : NEC Rule - No Div II for OOC Scheduling

TexasTerror
October 4th, 2010, 01:45 PM
This should certainly improve their conference, though they still have a ways to go. Making great in roads though...

Specifically to your questions.
Since FBS opponents offer bigger guarantees than FCS teams and the opportunities for such games have increased under the 12-game FBS schedule, will CCSU actively seek to schedule FBS teams on an annual basis?

We certainly want to be strategic and balanced in our non-conference schedule. Given the limited number of non-conference opportunities we currently have as a result of playing 8 NEC games, it is imperative that we balance playing games against highly successful FCS opponents (such as those against UNH and Youngstown this year) and working in some Home and Home series with other FCS opponents. In addition, the Northeast Conference has implemented a rule for the future that will not allow us to play Division II opponents. Coach McInerney and I are certainly open to scheduling another FBS opponent (e.g. your Western Michigan reference) but I do think it will be a challenge to secure that type of game given our current scholarship level and our non-counter status (as you also referenced) in their Bowl eligibility.

http://ccsubluedevils.wordpress.com/2010/09/21/ask-the-ad-football-scheduling/

danefan
October 4th, 2010, 01:50 PM
I like to refer to this as the "Wagner Rule" since Wagner loves to lose to DII's on opening day. haha.

Seriously though I'm not sure how it really improves the conference, but it certainly can't hurt it. What it will do is prevent the occasional tough DII game and instead replace it with a bye week (see RMU this year) or a tougher FCS game which is a good thing all around for SOS.

henfan
October 4th, 2010, 01:57 PM
The University of Delaware cheers the NEC rule.;)

WestCoastAggie
October 4th, 2010, 02:05 PM
You will NEVER see a "Wagner Rule" in the MEAC or SWAC.

xwhistlex

aceinthehole
October 4th, 2010, 02:05 PM
For the record, I have no problem with one D-II HOME game per team, if you play 2 full schoalrship/AQ conference opponents in the other 2 games.

Bryant was transiting and lost scheduled games with NU and HU, so they had an excuse. Wagner was going on the road at NE-10 schools and a NY Maritime - that is unaccepatable!

As that blog question indicated, CCSU has a tough time getting FCS home games from anyone, so I don't have a problem with us buying a D-II game at home. There is no reason that NEC teams must ALWAYS go on the road for non-conference games. Many FCS teams buy lower divsion home games.

This is the 2nd time in the past 3 seasons that Albany hasn't had a home non-conference game.
CCSU played all 3 on the road last year and hasn't had a FCS team at home since Marist in 2006.

danefan
October 4th, 2010, 02:07 PM
For the record, I have no problem with one D-II HOME game per team, if you play 2 full schoalrship/AQ conference opponents in the other 2 games.

Bryant was transiting and lost scheduled games with NU and HU, so they had an excuse. Wagner was going on the road at NE-10 schools and a NY Maritime - that is unaccepatable!

As that blog question indicated, CCSU has a tough time getting FCS home games from anyone, so I don't have a problem with us buying a D-II game at home. There is no reason that NEC teams must ALWAYS go on the road for non-conference games. Many FCS teams buy lower divsion home games.

This is the 2nd time in the past 3 seasons that Albany hasn't had a home non-conference game.
CCSU played all 3 on the road last year and hasn't had a FCS team at home since Marist in 2006.

Good points. And BTW, Albany is the only team in DI (FCS and FBS) to not have a home game in the month of September.

With that's being said, I'd rather be buying home games with Ivy's and PL schools though then DIIs.

aceinthehole
October 4th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Good points. And BTW, Albany is the only team in DI (FCS and FBS) to not have a home game in the month of September.

With that's being said, I'd rather be buying home games with Ivy's and PL schools though then DIIs.

Except Ivy and PL teams are not for sale to a NEC program - you can't buy a home game from them, they are buying us (CCSU at Columbia last year, UA at Yale this year). Only a D-II teams would take a paycheck from the NEC, that's our only option to "buy" a home game.

Now if you can get home/home deals, that's great. But it seems hard enough for a certain NEC team (CCSU) to get a home/home deal with anyone!

TexasTerror
October 4th, 2010, 03:09 PM
Seriously though I'm not sure how it really improves the conference, but it certainly can't hurt it. What it will do is prevent the occasional tough DII game and instead replace it with a bye week (see RMU this year) or a tougher FCS game which is a good thing all around for SOS.

Div II schools are very similar to you guys as far as scholarships. A loss there would hurt, big time...

And of course, playing more FCS schools means better chances at getting an upset or two here and there - further improving your conference's respectability.

RabidRabbit
October 4th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Getting home games is a battle if your capacity is under 10K. For the most part, the larger schools want to do home/home if getting about the same back. SDSU did some 2 fer one with at least two schools. One was a complete fiasco (played there twice, bought out the return trip). The other was a single buy-out game after the two schools mutually agreed to not play the remaining two games.

NEC teams will find a fair amount of reluctance to play. Definitely need to see if MEAC and OVC teams may be interested in home/home, as most of the MVFC, SoCon, CAA will likely be more interested in having NEC in for a game than a h&h.