PDA

View Full Version : Liberty's Williams Stadium

Sly Fox
October 3rd, 2010, 11:15 PM
We just drew 19k+ for our game with Savannah State this past Saturday if you need us.

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/4066/1stgamerenovatedwilliam.jpg

Yeah, I know. We're still not CAA material.

xchinscratchx

But does that look like a Big South stadium to you?

NovaWildcat
October 4th, 2010, 12:12 AM
Absolutely awesome - very impressive scene. Brand new stadium? How has Liberty's attendance been the last few years?

Sly Fox
October 4th, 2010, 12:44 AM
We just expanded from 12k for this season. We've averaged around 14-15k the past few years. We had to play our opener in a tiny high school stadium this year while we waited on our renovations to be completed. So our season attendance totals will be affected.

JMUNJ08
October 4th, 2010, 01:38 AM
We just drew 19k+ for our game with Savannah State this past Saturday if you need us.

Yeah, I know. We're still not CAA material.

xchinscratchx

But does that look like a Big South stadium to you?

You guys still play in that conference right? Therefore, I have to say 'Yes'. But does look like a great gameday experience!

Pard4Life
October 4th, 2010, 08:37 AM
Was Lafayette the last visiting team to win there? Nice digs.

purplepeopleeaterv2
October 4th, 2010, 08:43 AM
It's really only a matter of time before Liberty joins the CAA.

gophoenix
October 4th, 2010, 09:06 AM
It's really only a matter of time before Liberty joins the CAA.

It's funny, 10 years ago both Elon and Liberty told the CAA no because they didn't have football.... had a football conference been a guarantee .... things would be a lot nicer for both our schools now....

SideLine Shooter
October 4th, 2010, 09:14 AM
You guys still play in that conference right? Therefore, I have to say 'Yes'. But does look like a great gameday experience!

DO they allow tailgating?

henfan
October 4th, 2010, 09:32 AM
Nice stadium and terrific growth with the FB program. Kudos. Liberty still doesn't fit the CAA's current institutional profile of largely state-sponsored schools. My best guess is that there still isn't a tremendous amount of interest in adding yet another VA school. If they felt expansion was necessary, there would probably more interest in adding a school north of PA and in the Carolinas.

Liberty would seem a better fit for the private school profile adopted by the SoCon. That might be a great move for Liberty.

Sly Fox
October 4th, 2010, 09:52 AM
First off, we do allow tailgating.

Second, Liberty has little in common with the small private schools in the SoCon. I don't see us going anywhere at FCS level outside of the CAA. But we are very open about our plans to move up to FBS level. Our chancellor & AD both referenced those goals this weekend in interviews tied to our stadium expansion.

gophoenix
October 4th, 2010, 10:52 AM
First off, we do allow tailgating.

Second, Liberty has little in common with the small private schools in the SoCon. I don't see us going anywhere at FCS level outside of the CAA. But we are very open about our plans to move up to FBS level. Our chancellor & AD both referenced those goals this weekend in interviews tied to our stadium expansion.

Liberty has very little in common with any university. Just like Bob Jones, Oral Roberts...... it has nothing to do with the SoCon private schools. But then again, looking at the academics as a whole, I would say Liberty has very little in common with, well, any SoCon schools either.

By that token, Liberty has very little in common with William & Mary, Richmond, Villanova, Hofstra or Northeastern. Not sure why you think you belong there as opposed to the SoCon.

Mr. C
October 4th, 2010, 11:13 AM
CSN was in the house for the opener. All I've got to say is a great big "WOW." Awesome place, particularly for those of us who have been going up there for years.

Here are a couple of links for you to experience more of what it was like on Saturday:

Liberty opens Williams Stadium with a bang
http://www.collegesportingnews.com/content.php?253-Liberty-Opens-New-Stadium-With-a-Bang

Liberty shows off its new digs
http://www.collegesportingnews.com/entry.php?94-Liberty-shows-off-its-new-digs

henfan
October 4th, 2010, 12:29 PM
I don't see us going anywhere at FCS level outside of the CAA. But we are very open about our plans to move up to FBS level.

Chances are better at a mid-major/FBS affiliation than the CAA, I would guess. Best of luck.

jmufan999
October 4th, 2010, 12:56 PM
adding liberty to the CAA would not make sense.

Keenan
October 4th, 2010, 08:54 PM
adding liberty to the CAA would not make sense.

thanks for your well thought out opinion! $$$$ speaks

Appfan_in_CAAland
October 4th, 2010, 09:16 PM
Chances are better at a mid-major/FBS affiliation than the CAA, I would guess. Best of luck.

How about both FBS and CAA? Sounds good to me.

NovaWildcat
October 5th, 2010, 12:54 AM
Out of curiosity, why would adding Liberty (if there is an opening) not make any sense? Seems as if the CAA would be adding a school with a strong fan base to the mix.

And it's not like CAA football has one "type" either...it's made up of State schools, private schools and religiously-affiliated schools. 19k+ seems like an awesome atmosphere to add the group.

Blueandwhitefightfight
October 5th, 2010, 01:31 AM
Ok so you said that they allow tailgating.

BUT

Do the fans ACTUALLY tailgate (as in consume beer)?

AppMan
October 5th, 2010, 06:54 AM
Liberty has very little in common with any university. Just like Bob Jones, Oral Roberts...... it has nothing to do with the SoCon private schools. But then again, looking at the academics as a whole, I would say Liberty has very little in common with, well, any SoCon schools either.

By that token, Liberty has very little in common with William & Mary, Richmond, Villanova, Hofstra or Northeastern. Not sure why you think you belong there as opposed to the SoCon.

With an on campus enrollment of over 12,000 Liberty doesn't quite fit the normal profile for a private school. IMO, Liberty has far more in common with ASU, Delaware, JMU, and ODU while Elon is a better fit with W&M, Richmond, and Villinova.

gophoenix
October 5th, 2010, 09:09 AM
With an on campus enrollment of over 12,000 Liberty doesn't quite fit the normal profile for a private school. IMO, Liberty has far more in common with ASU, Delaware, JMU, and ODU while Elon is a better fit with W&M, Richmond, and Villinova.

That's what I am saying. If Liberty doesn't fit with Elon, Furman, Samford and Wofford; then why does the Liberty fan think they fit in with W&M, Richmond, Villanova type schools? That answer is, they don't.

It wasn't long ago that App fans were complaining about playing a school like Liberty. Now, the tune has changed.... How does one of the biggest funamentalist private universities in the United States have anything in common with a public school; after seeing some of the items you complain about?

NovaWildcat
October 5th, 2010, 09:32 AM
who cares what the University's beliefs are when deciding conference affiliation?