PDA

View Full Version : WIU Making A Charge

cderry
October 3rd, 2010, 07:18 AM
Western Illinois means business and teams are starting to take notice.

The Leathernecks are now 4-1 (2-0 in Missouri Valley) with wins against Valpo, Sam Houston St., Indiana St., and ranked North Dakota St. Their only loss was a 21-31 loss at Purdue.

Biggest stat: Turnover differential. +8 (11 takeaways, 3 giveaways)

QB Matt Barr: 931 yds pass, 8 pass TD, 1 INT, 251 yds rush, 1 rush TD
RB Bryce Fowers: 521 yds rush, 7 rush TD, 91 yds rec
RB Coulton Ray: 462 yds rush, 6 rush TD, 20 yds rec
Defense: 8 Fum Rec, 3 INT, 11.6 PPG Allowed

skinny_uncle
October 3rd, 2010, 07:20 AM
I'm sure you are glad to have Barr back. He makes a difference.

cderry
October 3rd, 2010, 07:26 AM
I'm sure you are glad to have Barr back. He makes a difference.

Absolutely. WIU is averaging 38 points of offense and something like 250 rushing yards a game with him back in the saddle. He scrambles well and makes good decisions.

T-Dog
October 3rd, 2010, 07:37 AM
The MVFC looks to be a quagmire this season. If WIU can win in Brookings, then that could be massive.

Twentysix
October 3rd, 2010, 11:28 AM
The MVFC looks to be a quagmire this season. If WIU can win in Brookings, then that could be massive.

Ah you just mentioned brookings and made me think of the worst pizza ranch on the planet. I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

PantherRob82
October 3rd, 2010, 11:36 AM

SDSU is 0-4....not sure a win in Brookings means much this year.

PantherRob82
October 3rd, 2010, 11:40 AM
To me, WIU is a hard read. It seems like we go through this almost every year. They get some early wins, speak of their return to greatness, just to get smoked by the top of the conference.

WIU still has to play SIU, Illinois State, YSU, MSU, and UNI. I'm sure SDSU won't lay down either.

I'm not sold on anyone in the Valley at this point, so it's not smack against WIU, I'm just saying I would slow up a bit. I thought SIU was about done, but then they smoked Illinois State. I thought YSU might be the team to beat but they blew a good sized lead against MSU.

Obviously WIU and UNI are on top right now. Both lost to BCS schools and UNI lost to Top 10 SFA. I haven't had the privelege of watching WIU yet this year, but I know UNI has a great defense and has the skill on offense to be a good team if they can put it together.

Maybe one more week of play will give us a better idea.

T-Dog
October 3rd, 2010, 11:41 AM
SDSU is 0-4....not sure a win in Brookings means much this year.

Any conference road win is massive over a team not named Indiana State, especially in a deep league like the MVFC.

PantherRob82
October 3rd, 2010, 11:49 AM
Any conference road win is massive over a team not named Indiana State, especially in a deep league like the MVFC.

Agreed, I thought maybe you were thinking of last year's SDSU. ;)

SDSU will either roll over and die or be one of the toughtest teams to face from here on out.

Superneck
October 3rd, 2010, 11:55 AM
I am just as content to not have anyone take the 'Necks seriously. They always seem to play better when they are flying under the radar. After the win at NDSU, I am more concerned about how they show up at SDSU, than I am about what will happen when they meet SIU and ISU and MSU and UNI. Man oh man oh man is theValley loaded this year or what?

DOME
October 3rd, 2010, 12:40 PM
3 picks by your D through five games? UNI had three picks last night alone.

UNI looked a little more together last night. I hope UNI and WIU win out until Nov 20...be an exciting finish!

Keenan
October 3rd, 2010, 01:58 PM
I have definitely taken notice of Western Illinois this week, as evidenced by the placement of WIU on my AGS Top 25 ballot (#13). I think you have to consider WIU favorites going to SDSU next week which would have been laughable five weeks ago.

nmatsen
October 3rd, 2010, 05:13 PM
I am just as content to not have anyone take the 'Necks seriously. They always seem to play better when they are flying under the radar. After the win at NDSU, I am more concerned about how they show up at SDSU, than I am about what will happen when they meet SIU and ISU and MSU and UNI. Man oh man oh man is theValley loaded this year or what?

No, the Valley is not loaded this year. NDSU is the only team in the Valley in the top 15 and they are not even in first place. The Valley is down nationally as compared to other years.

bodoyle
October 5th, 2010, 11:14 AM
With my brother being an Alum, and CCU looking like a pee-wee team, I have been following WIU and they have been pretty impressive. Hoping they make it to the post-season so my brother and I can go watch a game. Prolly will be his last for a while since his wife will be popping out kid #1 in March.

RabidRabbit
October 5th, 2010, 12:37 PM

Actually, if the Jacks win in Brookings, then the MVFC is in a complete quagmire. It would be a pleasant surprise, if a bottom 5 performing Offense manages to hold off a team that looked absolutely horrible at the end of last season.

This will be a tough game for the Beef Bowl.

PantherRob82
October 5th, 2010, 01:12 PM
Actually, if the Jacks win in Brookings, then the MVFC is in a complete quagmire. It would be a pleasant surprise, if a bottom 5 performing Offense manages to hold off a team that looked absolutely horrible at the end of last season.

This will be a tough game for the Beef Bowl.

Go Jacks. :)

cderry
October 7th, 2010, 08:50 AM
I see that WIU made the AGS poll. Does anyone have the other polls?

skinny_uncle
October 8th, 2010, 08:35 AM
There seems to a lot of parity. That could be said most years in this league. WIU is dramatically improved this year. Some of their tougher games are still ahead of them. With Barr back there, they will be dangerous.

ST_Lawson
October 8th, 2010, 11:31 AM
I see that WIU made the AGS poll. Does anyone have the other polls?

This week, WIU is:
20th in the Sports Network Poll
20th in the FCS Coach's Poll
18th in the AnyGivenSaturday Poll
17th in the Championship Subdivision Poll

They're great to look at, but it means nothing if we don't keep winning. Also, it's still early in conference play. After this weekend we've still got Youngstown State, Missouri State, Illinois State, Southern Illinois and Northern Iowa. All of them are teams that are at least receiving votes in the major polls, with SIU and UNI both in the top 25 of most polls.

That being said, I'm already pretty excited about the turnaround so far, and with our two new running backs being able to play for a few more years, things are looking pretty good for the next few seasons as well.

cderry
October 8th, 2010, 01:29 PM
This week, WIU is:
20th in the Sports Network Poll
20th in the FCS Coach's Poll
18th in the AnyGivenSaturday Poll
17th in the Championship Subdivision Poll

They're great to look at, but it means nothing if we don't keep winning. Also, it's still early in conference play. After this weekend we've still got Youngstown State, Missouri State, Illinois State, Southern Illinois and Northern Iowa. All of them are teams that are at least receiving votes in the major polls, with SIU and UNI both in the top 25 of most polls.

That being said, I'm already pretty excited about the turnaround so far, and with our two new running backs being able to play for a few more years, things are looking pretty good for the next few seasons as well.

Well if it isn't a fellow WIU Leatherneck, MHS Bomber, and Facebook friend that I didn't know posted on here...small world. Agree with you Scott. I think if we beat SDSU on the road after beating NDSU on the road we'll be considered a major player.

PantherRob82
October 8th, 2010, 02:35 PM
By Comparison
2009--------------------------------- 2010
9/3 @ Sam Houston State 35 - 28 (W) 09/18 - Sam Houston St...W 56-14
9/12 @ Northern Illinois 7 - 41 (L) 09/11 - @ Purdue...L 21-31
9/19 Stephen F. Austin - Macomb, Ill. 30 - 40 (L) The last 3 don't match up well. Stick NDSU somewhere
10/03 Southern Illinois 10 - 30 (L)
10/10 @ Youngstown State 21 - 31 (L)

Isn't a good deal of the difference this far in the schedule? (Wow...I didn't realize you guys went 1-10 last year xoopsx)

At this point last year you played 2 SLC teams, FBS, and 2 tough Valley games.

This year you've played one of the worst teams in the PFL, FBS, a bad SLC team, bottom feeder MVFC team and middle of the road MVFC team.

Do you guys feel like you have a good grasp of where your team really is?

Would a win over winless SDSU really be a good one? It obviously wouldn't be a bad win for you, it is a road MVFC game afterall.

cderry
October 8th, 2010, 03:08 PM
This year you've played one of the worst teams in the PFL, FBS, a bad SLC team, bottom feeder MVFC team and middle of the road MVFC team.

1. Is North Dakota St the bottom feeder MVFC team or the middle of the road MVFC team? I think all of the FCS polls would argue against both (before this week they were ranked 11th, 13th and 13th in the national poll...what a terrible team). Does beating them on the road during their Homecoming count for ANYTHING?

2. When was the last time an FCS team was maligned for losing to a Big Ten FBS team by 10 points on the road?

3. And how many points does a team need to blow out that "worst teams in the PFL", "bad SLC team", and "bottom feeder MVFC team" before they're allowed to call it a win? We beat Valpo 45-0, SHSU 56-14, and Indiana St 40-7.

PantherRob82
October 8th, 2010, 04:53 PM
1. Is North Dakota St the bottom feeder MVFC team or the middle of the road MVFC team? I think all of the FCS polls would argue against both (before this week they were ranked 11th, 13th and 13th in the national poll...what a terrible team). Does beating them on the road during their Homecoming count for ANYTHING?

2. When was the last time an FCS team was maligned for losing to a Big Ten FBS team by 10 points on the road?

3. And how many points does a team need to blow out that "worst teams in the PFL", "bad SLC team", and "bottom feeder MVFC team" before they're allowed to call it a win? We beat Valpo 45-0, SHSU 56-14, and Indiana St 40-7.

Seriously?

NDSU will finish in the middle of the pack at best. They're ranked high because they beat Kansas and South Dakota. South Dakota is currently a good win because they beat Minnesota.

A win is a win, but beating Valpo, SHSU, and Indiana State doesn't prove you're a national power, it proves you're out of the cellar.

I wasn't being rude or saying you sucked, I asked if you had a grasp on where your team really is at this point, and I'll take your response as a no.

UNI beat NDSU, I don't think it's a bragging point. NDSU looked terrible. We beat SDSU. Also not a bragging point. 0-4 team with a terrible QB.

We lost by 2 to SFA. I think that says something about what we might have talent wise. The Iowa State game showed we don't have the chemistry and decision making yet.

Even a win over SIU this weekend, while keeping us on top, would not make me feel like everything was grand and we were playoff bound.

You guys still have SDSU, YSU, MSU, Il St, SIU, and UNI. To me it's way to early to evaluate WIU.

MplsBison
October 8th, 2010, 05:00 PM
Seriously?

NDSU will finish in the middle of the pack at best. They're ranked high because they beat Kansas and South Dakota. South Dakota is currently a good win because they beat Minnesota.

A win is a win, but beating Valpo, SHSU, and Indiana State doesn't prove you're a national power, it proves you're out of the cellar.

I wasn't being rude or saying you sucked, I asked if you had a grasp on where your team really is at this point, and I'll take your response as a no.

UNI beat NDSU, I don't think it's a bragging point. NDSU looked terrible. We beat SDSU. Also not a bragging point. 0-4 team with a terrible QB.

We lost by 2 to SFA. I think that says something about what we might have talent wise. The Iowa State game showed we don't have the chemistry and decision making yet.

Even a win over SIU this weekend, while keeping us on top, would not make me feel like everything was grand and we were playoff bound.

You guys still have SDSU, YSU, MSU, Il St, SIU, and UNI. To me it's way to early to evaluate WIU.

When UNI beats NDSU or SDSU - those teams were terrible.

When UNI gets owned - it's because they don't have the chemistry or decision making...yet.

xrotatehx xlolx

Typical.

PantherRob82
October 8th, 2010, 06:50 PM
When UNI beats NDSU or SDSU - those teams were terrible.

When UNI gets owned - it's because they don't have the chemistry or decision making...yet.

xrotatehx xlolx

Typical.

We have issues. We lost to SFA by two because we fumbled 3 times in the redzone and got sacked for a safety. That isn't exactly being dominated by a better team. xrolleyesx

SalukiJim
October 8th, 2010, 07:22 PM
We have issues. We lost to SFA by two because we fumbled 3 times in the redzone and got sacked for a safety. That isn't exactly being dominated by a better team. xrolleyesx

Hey so what's the Panther D like? Looks like our running game may be our only strength, based on last week vs. ISU Red...

PantherRob82
October 8th, 2010, 08:05 PM
Hey so what's the Panther D like? Looks like our running game may be our only strength, based on last week vs. ISU Red...

We've been running a 3-4 variant. We seem to be tackling much more soundly than in the past. This seems like our best D in recent memory. Very strong up front. Dieker will probably give us a little trouble. NDSU and SDSU didn't have much of a passing attack so that made things a little easier.

We held NDSU to 9, they've scored 35, 38, and 16 in their FCS games.

We held SFA to 20 offensive points, besides the FBS game they've scored 59 and 71.

Iowa State only scored 13 on offense, we threw two INTs for TDs. :(

Looking forward to Carbondale tomorrow.

JoeNeck90
October 9th, 2010, 01:16 AM
ST,
Don't even bother discussing anything with Robbie. Anything positive about WIU will make his 3 whiskers rise. He has always been that way. He really looks into this stuff way too hard. I am just hoping that he sets up his table in Macomb and offers adjustments for 5 bucks. He will prolly rub one out for ya if you wear a UNI shirt. Those guys are always lookin for side cash.

SalukiJim
October 9th, 2010, 05:42 AM
We've been running a 3-4 variant. We seem to be tackling much more soundly than in the past. This seems like our best D in recent memory. Very strong up front. Dieker will probably give us a little trouble. NDSU and SDSU didn't have much of a passing attack so that made things a little easier.

We held NDSU to 9, they've scored 35, 38, and 16 in their FCS games.

We held SFA to 20 offensive points, besides the FBS game they've scored 59 and 71.

Iowa State only scored 13 on offense, we threw two INTs for TDs. :(

Looking forward to Carbondale tomorrow.

Yikes - Dieker is not having that good of a season for us. He was benched during the SEMO game and has not really played well yet. We have been relying on the run to get us going. If you're coming to the new stadium, I am sure you'll enjoy it more than the Mac. It's not crumbling or rusty at all~ :)

Western_101
October 9th, 2010, 09:43 AM
ST,
Don't even bother discussing anything with Robbie. Anything positive about WIU will make his 3 whiskers rise. He has always been that way. He really looks into this stuff way too hard. I am just hoping that he sets up his table in Macomb and offers adjustments for 5 bucks. He will prolly rub one out for ya if you wear a UNI shirt. Those guys are always lookin for side cash.

I wasn't expecting your comment to be funny and as I read it I took an ill timed sip of my coffee and ended up choking on it from laughing.xlolx

PantherRob82
October 10th, 2010, 01:04 AM
ST,

i.e.-I can't talk football so I'm going to make a personal attack.

You guys are just overly sensitive. It was a legit question. Where do you stand on your team tonight?

I'm still baffled by everyone in the Valley.

Squealofthepig
October 10th, 2010, 01:31 AM

You and me both. Next week, I'm just flipping coins when I post projected wins. YSU is at WIU - who knows? SDSU goes to the Salukis... this went from a preseason key game to a mid-season spoiler game (and the Jackrabbits definitely have the talent to win this one). The only thing I know about the valley is that I will be surprised by at least one game every week and look at my previous week's ballot like I'm some kind of idiot. :)

siuham
October 10th, 2010, 01:38 AM
i.e.-I can't talk football so I'm going to make a personal attack.

You guys are just overly sensitive. It was a legit question. Where do you stand on your team tonight?

The game was very close. The score really does tell the story there. It was very close. A very, very, very bad decision by Barr at midfield to take a 19 yard sack and not get rid of the ball somehow put WIU so far out of field position, plus they had to spend their last timeout, they lost their chance to tie the game to force to OT. WIU went from SDSU's 36 to their own 45 in one play. Before that, it looked for sure WIU would at least get a chance to tie in field goal range.

Both teams looked poor at some point, and both looked good. Generally, if it wasn't a 3 and out, it was a near impossible drive to a touchdown for either team after the first half.

PantherRob82
October 10th, 2010, 01:41 AM
The game was very close. The score really does tell the story there. It was very close. A very, very, very bad decision by Barr at midfield to take a 19 yard sack and not get rid of the ball somehow put WIU so far out of field position, plus they had to spend their last timeout, they lost their chance to tie the game to force to OT. WIU went from SDSU's 36 to their own 45 in one play. Before that, it looked for sure WIU would at least get a chance to tie in field goal range.

Both teams looked poor at some point, and both looked good. Generally, if it wasn't a 3 and out, it was a near impossible drive to a touchdown for either team after the first half.

weren't they down 4?

SalukiJim
October 10th, 2010, 06:48 AM
weren't they down 4?

My thoughts exactly.. Must be that new "fuzzy math" xeyebrowx

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 10th, 2010, 08:11 AM
WIU looked good at NDSU. Good running game and Barr was consistent with his passing. When we have a QB that can consistently make good plays then the Bison will be a force.

MV is definitely a "black-n-blue" conference. Any team can win or lose every week.

6-2 or 5-3 will win the conference.....SDSU can win it with a 6-5 record.....

Superneck
October 10th, 2010, 08:13 AM

fear my crystal ball. Oh yeah, I also have the winning lotto numbers.

Superneck
October 10th, 2010, 08:20 AM
No, the Valley is not loaded this year. NDSU is the only team in the Valley in the top 15 and they are not even in first place. The Valley is down nationally as compared to other years.

I find it inifinitely more interesting this season to watch each week and see almost every matchup be a competitive down to the wire battle...so much so that some are left scratching their heads and most are flipping coins to determine winners and losers. After what InState did to IlState, I can't even discount the Sycamores anymore. I will take that over 2 or 3 teams highly ranked while the rest of the conference waddles in mediocrity.

UNIFanSince1983
October 10th, 2010, 08:56 AM
So you would rather have the entire conference be in mediocrity, and looked down upon like say the OVC (which is probably better than the MVFC this year) then have a power conference?

The conference is terrible this year, and that is bad for everyone!

Superneck
October 10th, 2010, 09:07 AM
So you would rather have the entire conference be in mediocrity, and looked down upon like say the OVC (which is probably better than the MVFC this year) then have a power conference?

I just have to look at how well MVFC teams play outside of conference to answer that question.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 10th, 2010, 09:18 AM

The conference is not terrible. There are a lot of good teams in the conference. Just because there is not a team that is running away with it does not mean there are not good teams.

6-2 or 5-3 (ties) will win the conference this year

PantherRob82
October 10th, 2010, 09:31 AM
WIU looked good at NDSU. Good running game and Barr was consistent with his passing. When we have a QB that can consistently make good plays then the Bison will be a force.

MV is definitely a "black-n-blue" conference. Any team can win or lose every week.

6-2 or 5-3 will win the conference.....SDSU can win it with a 6-5 record.....

Thanks. I haven't seen WIU or MSU yet. Barr has been pretty decent and I would expect him to do well as long as he has been there.

PantherRob82
October 10th, 2010, 09:37 AM
I just have to look at how well MVFC teams play outside of conference to answer that question.

Seems like we haven't been good this year:
NDSU- beat Kansas, Morgan State and USD good job Bison
WIU- beat Valpo, SHSU and lost to Purdue won the games they should
UNI- lost to Iowa State and SFA, USD next week should have beaten SFA, but not a bad loss at this point
MSU- beat EKU, lost to K-State and Murray State The Murray State loss is embarassing
SDSU- lost to Delaware, Nebraska, and I'm too lazy to look up their last OOC opponent not bad losses
Il St- beat CMSU, lost to Northwestern, not sure on 3rd OOC only loss to a Big 10
In St- 2 sub D-I wins and a loss to Cincy didn't do anything for the conference
YSU- lost to Penn State, beat CCSU, unsure on 3rd opponent won the game they should
SIU- lost to Illinois and SEMO, beat sub D-I SEMO game hurts us.

Feel free to add or fix anything. This is just off the top of my head

UNIFanSince1983
October 10th, 2010, 09:57 AM
I am sorry I forgot about the powerhouse wins we have outside of the conference. Valpo and Morgan State are ranked pretty high this year right? What about Sam Houston or CCSU or EKU? Seriously guys these are not good wins, and then we also have some BAD losses. No MVFC team should lose to SEMO or lose by 27 points to Iowa State.

This is not the profile of a high level conference. You think I am saying this just because UNI is down and SIU is down, but this is not the case. If NDSU or WIU had gone out, and beat a high class opponent I wouldn't be saying this. WIU just lost to what turns out is a pretty good team, but by no means a great team in SDSU. NDSU has lost to two okay teams in UNI and WIU.

The power conferences beat each other up too, but they actually win games out of conference. Parity does not make a great conference. Infact in most cases it makes a mediocre conference. Just look at the good conferences in FBS and in the FCS. They all have great teams, but they have their bottom feeders too. Maybe we do have a couple of great teams, and a couple of bottom feeders they just haven't separated themselves out yet. I could be proven wrong as the season goes on, but right now the conference is not good.

MplsBison
October 10th, 2010, 10:02 AM
Sadly, I would agree that a lack of a clear cut "top tier" in the conference indicates that the conference is down this year - not that every team is good.

Even Indiana State is beating a decent team - you know something is wrong.

FargoBison
October 10th, 2010, 10:17 AM
I will say this the league has to ban non-DI games in non-conference play. We need to make a commitment to building our strength of schedule and these non-DI games are just a complete waste of time.

SalukiJim
October 10th, 2010, 01:21 PM
I will say this the league has to ban non-DI games in non-conference play. We need to make a commitment to building our strength of schedule and these non-DI games are just a complete waste of time.xthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupx

Thundar
October 10th, 2010, 01:38 PM
I will say this the league has to ban non-DI games in non-conference play. We need to make a commitment to building our strength of schedule and these non-DI games are just a complete waste of time.

I totally agree, but some teams can't even beat the DII teamsxnonono2x

Western_101
October 10th, 2010, 03:38 PM
I agree playing a schedule with one of the opponents being of the non-D-I classification does nothing to help a Valley member team and everything to hurt. If a team beats the D-II so what it doesn't count for playoffs. If a team gets beat it really hurts the Valley. Add in the fact, that most teams play a FBS team which is almost always favored to win. What one ends up with is then a DII win a FBS loss and now 9 games left to try to make the playoffs.

PantherRob82
November 20th, 2010, 08:37 AM
Bump for review.

TypicalTribe
November 20th, 2010, 09:30 AM
WIU is an interesting case. Win today and they've got wins over UNI and NDSU but they've got some questionable losses as well. Might need a little help but I wouldn't be shocked if they got in. Favorable geographic matchup with SEMO in the first-round if it comes to that.

Aho_Old_Guy
November 20th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Bump for review.

Don't think WIU can make it --- even beating up on your guys today (not bloody likely!). That #105 SoS doesn't match up well in a year when 25%+ of the playoffs will be ranked in the lower quintile of SoS

UNI Pike
November 20th, 2010, 03:39 PM
UNI mailed in the "effort". Starting QB hurt also.

Chi Panther
November 20th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Sad effort by a young UNI team....

Congrats on making the playoffs WIU!!!xsmileyclapx

Pantherpower
November 20th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Congrats, WIU. Hope you get in. You earned it!

MplsBison
November 20th, 2010, 03:46 PM
I hope this WIU win keeps NDSU out of the playoffs. Dogs**t effort by NDSU today with the playoffs on the line. To h**l with the bid process, who cares if NDSU could outbid anyone else - they flat out don't deserve it with a loss like that on the last week of the regular season.

To the playoff committee - I hope you get a chance to watch how pathetic NDSU's offense is. It's dogs**t. It's a turd laying on the ground. Don't you dare put them in the playoffs with an effort like that and only 7 wins. Don't you dare!

RabidRabbit
November 20th, 2010, 03:51 PM
And part of 4 teams tied at 4-4 in the MVFC. (NDSU). UNI wins title, WIU all alone at 5-3 in the conference and only a FBS loss OOC. This mod hopes to see WIU in the play-offs.

WIU02
November 20th, 2010, 03:55 PM
NDSU is definitely not getting an invite. They have a worse conference record than WIU, and also lost to them head to head. My next question is to you UNI fans. You seem convinced that we just clinched a playoff spot. Not sure that's the case. If someone knows something I don't, please elaborate. Thank you.

jacksfan29
November 20th, 2010, 04:14 PM
And part of 4 teams tied at 4-4 in the MVFC. (NDSU). UNI wins title, WIU all alone at 5-3 in the conference and only a FBS loss OOC. This mod hopes to see WIU in the play-offs.

WIU is in, NDSU waits. Nice game Necks.

UNI folks, how bad is Rennie hurt?

Da Coach
November 20th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Where oh where is Panther Rob? Wanna hear his take on the game!!

ST_Lawson
November 20th, 2010, 04:58 PM
WIU is in, NDSU waits. Nice game Necks.

UNI folks, how bad is Rennie hurt?

I don't think Rennie is that badly hurt although they'll probably take a closer look at him in the next day or two. Not long after he came off the field, he was walking around on his own just fine. I think that with regards to him, the staff decided to play it safe and not risk a major injury. If this was a playoff game, he might have come back in the second half, but since they'd already clinched a playoff spot, I think it wasn't worth putting him back in right away.

UNI Pike
November 20th, 2010, 05:02 PM
NDSU is definitely not getting an invite. They have a worse conference record than WIU, and also lost to them head to head. My next question is to you UNI fans. You seem convinced that we just clinched a playoff spot. Not sure that's the case. If someone knows something I don't, please elaborate. Thank you.

CAA lost one of its invites with UMASS losing today. However, FAMU is beating Bethune-Cookman, so that will make it interesting.

UNI Pike
November 20th, 2010, 05:04 PM
Total crap effort from the Panthers today. Should have simply forfeited the game, saved the cost of the trip and the injuries rather than play like they did today.

WIU motivated and UNI resting on AQ.

PantherRob82
November 20th, 2010, 11:05 PM
Where oh where is Panther Rob? Wanna hear his take on the game!!

I had stuff going on. You could've stopped by our tailgate, we hung out with a lot of WIU fans.

Western looked great. Barr is a smart QB who rarely gets sacked.

I'm not sure what happened on our side. We didn't seem to adjust at halftime.

The point of my bump was that some WIU fans cried martyr when I posted earlier in this thread that they needed to wait and see. Regardless of today's outcome, the season still fell apart and it took a lot of help to get you into position for a playoff bid.

Congrats to the Necks on a big win.

PantherRob82
November 20th, 2010, 11:06 PM
I don't think Rennie is that badly hurt although they'll probably take a closer look at him in the next day or two. Not long after he came off the field, he was walking around on his own just fine. I think that with regards to him, the staff decided to play it safe and not risk a major injury. If this was a playoff game, he might have come back in the second half, but since they'd already clinched a playoff spot, I think it wasn't worth putting him back in right away.

He ran around on the sideline. They must've decided to save him.

Great to meet you ST!

PantherRob82
November 20th, 2010, 11:07 PM

I did a rundown after the game and could only find 22 playoff worthy teams. I think WIU is in.

ST_Lawson
November 21st, 2010, 12:48 AM
I had stuff going on. You could've stopped by our tailgate, we hung out with a lot of WIU fans.
The point of my bump was that some WIU fans cried martyr when I posted earlier in this thread that they needed to wait and see. Regardless of today's outcome, the season still fell apart and it took a lot of help to get you into position for a playoff bid.

Yea, we've had a pretty up and down year. We've destroyed some teams that turned out to be decent (ISUb and Sam Houston State), we beat some pretty darn good teams (UNI and NDSU), and we lost to some fairly mediocre teams (SDSU and Mo State). We were kinda in the same boat as SIU, although we were able to come away with a few more wins. Ideally, we wouldn't have been in a position where we needed any help, but that's just how this season was, and thankfully (for us, anyway), it looks like picked up enough quality wins that most people consider us in a fairly solid position for an at-large playoff spot.

Barr is pretty amazing; we're going to miss him next year. Although thankfully, those two RBs you saw trading duties pretty effectively are a Freshman and Sophomore, so they should be around for a while. I'm thinking that Barr, if he decides to continue playing football, could possibly go the route of our last good QB, Russ Michna, and play in the Arena League or CFL. He may not opt to go that route however, since he could probably make more money in the business world than he could playing ball (he is nearly done with his Masters in Accounting with a 4.0 GPA, and is just as smart off the field as he is on the field).

It was nice meeting you too PantherRob, as well as Cap'n Cat and some of the other UNI people who made the trip down. I hope that none of the injuries we saw on Saturday were serious, and your guys are all healthy for your first playoff game, whenever that ends up being. Whether there's 2 or 3 MVFC teams in the playoffs, I'd love to see some solid performances on all of our parts, and having your QB healthy and ready to go is a big part of that.
I'm hoping to make the trip up to UNI next season, so hopefully I'll see some of you UNI folks there.

emilimo701
November 21st, 2010, 12:55 AM

NDSU will propbably still get an invite. So will WIU. Many people here do know "something you don't". I for myself have pathetically spent too many hour the past few weeks reading, watching, and researching. So to your thank you, you're welcome.

PantherRob82
November 21st, 2010, 11:43 AM

Bump for da coach, who can find the time to taunt me but not read my response.;)