View Full Version : The SoCon Big 3

GaSouthern
October 2nd, 2010, 11:20 AM
While watching college gameday this morning I began to think about the SoCon Big 3, with the chance of all three teams having a great season this year I started to revel in the greatness that has been the last 20 years for these SoCon members. I don't know if there is another situation like it in any other D-I conference in football. Each team has at least three(?) championship game appearances and two of those games were played between rivals in this series.

I remember pulling for FU to beat MSU in a snow covered field, I remember celebrating when App defeated Michigan. I feel like FU and App are brothers that I want to always out due but don't want anyone else picking on. Each time any two of these teams face off as top 25 teams it just makes it all that much better.

With the chance of this group being broken up sometime in the next five years, I am happy that I can currently enjoy such great rivalries with Furman and App and the fact that FU and ASU are rivalries themselves makes it all that much better.

GSU vs. FU started their first two matches for national championships and split the decisions with each team winning one, I can't think of a more perfect birth to a rivalry.

GSU vs. App, This is one of the only teams that we have a losing record to in heads up games. If I remember we are 11-13-1 against App and even in the worst season in school history we still took them to overtime, GSU vs. ASU matchups go back to the early 1900's even though the true rivalry started (I assume) in the early 90's.

FU vs. APP has been a rivalry that FU leads and I have followed since the late 90's, and man there have been some fantastic games, the biggest one I can remember was the Ice slip game in 2005 with Ingle Martin, had he not slipped, the I-AA champions that year very well could have been Furman. I'm not familiar with the origins of this rivalry but I know it's one of the best in the country.

Knowing that being a member of the Big 3 can be a finite experience, I will enjoy this bye week thinking about "the greatness that is" being a member of one of the three hated brothers.

GATA!

Sir William
October 2nd, 2010, 11:26 AM
Best and most eloquent post I've ever read.

I concur.

Umpire
October 2nd, 2010, 11:46 AM
I'm not familiar with the origins of this rivalry but I know it's one of the best in the country.

Basically, Furman use to own App back in the 70's, 80's and early 90's. Thank goodness for Bobby Lamb.

GaSouthern
October 2nd, 2010, 02:24 PM
Basically, Furman use to own App back in the 70's, 80's and early 90's. Thank goodness for Bobby Lamb.

When was the first FU vs. ASU game?

Mountaineer
October 2nd, 2010, 02:32 PM
When was the first FU vs. ASU game?

In 1971. Final score: 0-0.

That was when ASU first joined the SoCon and the Furmies had our number for quite some time.

Since 2000 App has gone 9-2 to bring the overall series within 5 (Furman leads 21-16-3). They're the only SoCon team with an overall winning record against the Mountaineers.

Indeed, I hope they give Bobby Lamb a lifetime extension. xrotatehx

longtimemocfan
October 2nd, 2010, 03:30 PM
Better re-consider the big 3 now. Thought Wofford could keep close to Furman,but that was total domination. Wofford winning 38-17

apaladin
October 2nd, 2010, 03:45 PM
The FU part of the Big 3 is not back. WC totally domintated today. Just a pathetic performance by FU. Was never in the game. Back to your original thought , it was the SoCon at it's best when FU/ASU/GSU were battling. Don't know if FU will be ever be back to the top at least as long as BL is around. Good luck to GSU and ASU the rest of the way. Believe me you can breathe easy the week you play FU.

james_lawfirm
October 2nd, 2010, 04:20 PM
While watching college gameday this morning I began to think about the SoCon Big 3, with the chance of all three teams having a great season this year I started to revel in the greatness that has been the last 20 years for these SoCon members. I don't know if there is another situation like it in any other D-I conference in football. Each team has at least three(?) championship game appearances and two of those games were played between rivals in this series.

I remember pulling for FU to beat MSU in a snow covered field, I remember celebrating when App defeated Michigan. I feel like FU and App are brothers that I want to always out due but don't want anyone else picking on. Each time any two of these teams face off as top 25 teams it just makes it all that much better.

With the chance of this group being broken up sometime in the next five years, I am happy that I can currently enjoy such great rivalries with Furman and App and the fact that FU and ASU are rivalries themselves makes it all that much better.

GSU vs. FU started their first two matches for national championships and split the decisions with each team winning one, I can't think of a more perfect birth to a rivalry.

GSU vs. App, This is one of the only teams that we have a losing record to in heads up games. If I remember we are 11-13-1 against App and even in the worst season in school history we still took them to overtime, GSU vs. ASU matchups go back to the early 1900's even though the true rivalry started (I assume) in the early 90's.

FU vs. APP has been a rivalry that FU leads and I have followed since the late 90's, and man there have been some fantastic games, the biggest one I can remember was the Ice slip game in 2005 with Ingle Martin, had he not slipped, the I-AA champions that year very well could have been Furman. I'm not familiar with the origins of this rivalry but I know it's one of the best in the country.

Knowing that being a member of the Big 3 can be a finite experience, I will enjoy this bye week thinking about "the greatness that is" being a member of one of the three hated brothers.

GATA!

Hear, hear. That is a GREAT post. That's why I enjoy AGS. (Although I think Furman stumbled today, but that's OK.) Looking forward to a good game in Statesboro. Best of luck to you and yours.

Syntax Error
October 2nd, 2010, 04:23 PM
yeah, ever since Wofford went undefeated in conference and won the league title the days of the big three were over.

oldsouthernman
October 2nd, 2010, 04:31 PM
This Big 3 is back talk is silly. Furman proved that today. App is the big 1. People better watch out for Chattanooga this year and in the future imo.

Mountaineer
October 2nd, 2010, 04:31 PM
Just a pathetic performance by FU.

Please don't fire Bobby Lamb.

Sir William
October 2nd, 2010, 05:36 PM

Unless things turn around very quickly, BL probably won't be on the sidelines in Greenville next year.

Over the past four years, Furman football has reached a level of mediocrity that Paladin nation has not seen since the 70s (pre-Sheridan). It's time for a change of leadership; and everyone knows it.

wofford92
October 2nd, 2010, 06:55 PM
Exactly right.... The only reason Furman has won anything is the past 10 years is Ingle Martin....and I believe we are 5-3 vs GSU since 02... Appy is the only team that has a winning record against us... Love reading this site. Go Woff!

Aho_Old_Guy
October 2nd, 2010, 07:40 PM
Unless things turn around very quickly, BL probably won't be on the sidelines in Greenville next year.

Seems we hear this from some fans every year. I didn't see Bobby playing run defense or throwing interceptions.

We'd pound VerminU harder if we could .... we have a little ground to make up. And the Plum-colored Holy Ponies would like nothing better than to bloody some Hillbilly nose at The Rock (on the 'Ween!), where they can throw a monkey wrench into Appalachian's SoCon march (with a crucial game @Statesboro following with a trip home to face WC).

Good to see WC bite some ankles (as long at they're not Appalachians).

SoCon48
October 2nd, 2010, 09:02 PM

GATA!

Some people realize you can't cut on ice.

SoCon48
October 2nd, 2010, 09:02 PM

LOL

chattanoogamocs
October 2nd, 2010, 09:47 PM
Better re-consider the big 3 now. Thought Wofford could keep close to Furman,but that was total domination. Wofford winning 38-17

Moc fans want to see it return to Big 3 1970's style (there really wasn't any big three back then...but UTC finished no worse than 3rd in 8 of their 9 years in the SoCOn...the one other time they were 4th)

PhoenixMan
October 2nd, 2010, 09:50 PM
The big 3. GSU hasn't been able to beat anyone but doormats in the SoCon for what, 3 years now? Furman took it on the chin today. Recite the history all you want, and I do respect the history of all 3 programs. But, I don't see any big 3 that doesn't include Elon and Wofford. History.

Guess
October 2nd, 2010, 09:58 PM
The big 3. GSU hasn't been able to beat anyone but doormats in the SoCon for what, 3 years now? Furman took it on the chin today. Recite the history all you want, and I do respect the history of all 3 programs. But, I don't see any big 3 that doesn't include Elon and Wofford. History.

I agree with you and I would certainly describe Elon as the doormat of the SoCon. But that's another story.

PhoenixMan
October 2nd, 2010, 10:12 PM
I agree with you and I would certainly describe Elon as the doormat of the SoCon. But that's another story.

Thanks for agreeing. You would be largely mistaken in your description. Althought they haven't bee able to defeat App St., and win a conference championship, doormat is a little off the mark. History= Big 3

Guess
October 2nd, 2010, 10:21 PM
Thanks for agreeing. You would be largely mistaken in your description. Althought they haven't bee able to defeat App St., and win a conference championship, doormat is a little off the mark. History= Big 3

Not to beg the point, but you did state that GSU had only beat doormats lately. I agree once again. Elon counts too.

dungeonjoe
October 3rd, 2010, 04:40 AM
It seems there is always 3 top tier teams in the SoCon. Lately, they have been different almost each year. I think this speaks to the overall strength of the conference. You better bring your best game every time and not overlook anyone.
The 4,5,6 teams are always hungry.

blueballs
October 3rd, 2010, 06:26 AM

A big three that includes two programs that have less COMBINED playoff wins than GSU has national titles... That's f-ing hilarious....

There will be a big three in the Socon going forward, and it might not be who everybody thinks. App is loaded and pretty young. GSU looks loaded and is VERY young. Chatty has come a long way in a short time. THOSE will be the big three moving forward (two years from now), until Moore retires or the Chatty and GSU coaches get hired by a FBS school.

No slight intended to Wofford. The karate kid does incredible with what he has to work with, but they aren't and won't be consistent national players, and by national player I mean a run like App has since 2005 or GSU from 1985-1990 or 1998-2002.

blueballs
October 3rd, 2010, 06:29 AM
It seems there is always 3 top tier teams in the SoCon. Lately, they have been different almost each year. I think this speaks to the overall strength of the conference. You better bring your best game every time and not overlook anyone.
The 4,5,6 teams are always hungry.

God bless you Dungeon Joe... it is a great day to be a Woffie ain't it? You are a cool dude.

A hint of fall in the air and Wofford slapping the purple helmeted warriors by three TD's. Life is good!

seantaylor
October 4th, 2010, 03:10 AM
GSU is the Socon. Eloan sucks, and will always suck. We had the worst two coaches in the history of the division the last 2 years. Chris Hatcher is mowing grass now, and is a total scrub. Yes, you beat him. But, Corky could beat him.

appfan2008
October 4th, 2010, 07:17 AM
This may be a homer post but really in the past 5 years there has been a big 1 and a rotating class for the other spots among the "big 3" including at times furman, gsu, wofford and recently elon

Baldy
October 4th, 2010, 08:00 AM
GSU is the Socon. Eloan sucks, and will always suck. We had the worst two coaches in the history of the division the last 2 years. Chris Hatcher is mowing grass now, and is a total scrub. Yes, you beat him. But, Corky could beat him.

Please tell me this is just your "persona".
I would hate to know that you are trying to make it though life being this ignorant. xchinscratchx

KiddBrewer
October 4th, 2010, 08:14 AM

GATA!

never thought to put it like that, but it makes a lot of sense. good post!

PhoenixPhan06
October 4th, 2010, 08:21 AM
This may be a homer post but really in the past 5 years there has been a big 1 and a rotating class for the other spots among the "big 3" including at times furman, gsu, wofford and recently elon

Agreed

soweagle
October 4th, 2010, 09:48 AM

Without a doubt it is ASU and everyone else in the SoCon for the last few years.