View Full Version : Playoffs? Don't Talk to Me About Playoffs... ( Jim Mora Isn't the Only One)

mikebigg
October 1st, 2010, 09:33 AM
I believe it was Vince Lombardi who said on NFL Films "What Da Hell Is Going On Out There?" In my Vince Lombardi "voice", I am wondering the same thing. The fans of some of these schools/conferences were all over the SWAC posters when we commented that the Playoffs weren't all they are cracked up to be and that we would rather pass than get "pimped". There were accusations of wanting to segregate ourselves and being afraid of competition. Some ever dissed us for being in it for the money (duh).

Well...seems like App State, Montana, and a whole lotta dem SLC schools are looking at moving on up like George and Weezy!

In the words of Jafus... "Interesting!"

TexasTerror
October 1st, 2010, 11:19 AM
Confused on why a SWAC poster would butt their head in since they have no interest and lack the financial capabilities to explore FBS or even moving out of the SWAC. As Retro put it on another thread...

Outside of Louisiana Teams like Grambling and Southern and maybe Jackson state because of it's market, the rest of swac doesn't have the support at home or road to make a positive difference in the SLC in any sport financially... Even with those teams, once the newness wears off, how long with their fans come out since it's not a rare event anymore?

As far as your past, the most of the swac teams hold on with a death grip to their traditonal games and rivalries, which has hampered your ability to not only schedule more OOC games, but limit your possibilities to put a team in the playoffs each year for exposure, regardless of the financial gain in the playoffs vs another game be it the bayou classic or other post-season venture... For the SLC teams and most other FCS teams, the players and coaches want to win a championship at the national level as that is what we play for. That is what you as a player, coach, fan, alumni will remember, not how much you got paid to be in the state fair classic or whatever.. That's not to say those things can't still happen..

Clearly, the SWAC's goals are to maintain itself in it's current form and not improve the product on the field on the national scene so much as making money (which is important), but the ultimate goal of a football program or any sport is to be the best you can be againest your peers at your level, not just your conference...

Today's economic picture is much different that year's past and especially wars you mentioned because it's now a global economy the U.S. battles againest and the way schools are funding will never go back to the way it was before.. More schools will likely be privately funded with endowments and boosters down the road than with any state funding and only the well organized will survive... In about 5 years, i predict no state funding for athletics in Louisiana and likely the same in many other states.

Each school is exploring FBS for different reasons...

For TXST and UTSA, they feel that academically, athletically and for other reasons, are steps above their peer institutions in the SLC. They feel that their peer institutions are those schools at the FBS level, which is a worthwhile contention. When SHSU began conducting its Division I Feasibility Study (not necessarily a move to Div I), it asked what schools we see SHSU on equal footing with academically and athletically.

Academics do afterall, carry the day with these athletic situations in addition to the $$$ considerations. It kept coming up in the Big 10 discussions, did it not?

mikebigg
October 2nd, 2010, 07:53 AM
The same reason you butt (spelling intended) your head into any and everything related to the SWAC...Plus you can't stop me! (lol). Hurts that it's been shown that the FCS schools are losing money on playoffs and that the SWAC posters prior comments are being confirmed by others. You'll be alright once the stinging stops!

TexasTerror
October 2nd, 2010, 08:06 AM
The same reason you butt (spelling intended) your head into any and everything related to the SWAC...Plus you can't stop me! (lol). Hurts that it's been shown that the FCS schools are losing money on playoffs and that the SWAC posters prior comments are being confirmed by others. You'll be alright once the stinging stops!

We knew about the finances of it all. You act like this is surprising us.

You can enjoy sitting on the sidelines during the playoffs and increasing your bottom line while playing in the SWAC championship game - but truth be known, that regardless of how you compete in the postseason - your football stinks. The SWAC is not competitive in football and the gap between the SWAC and other conferences is only widening in other sports.

As Retro stated, "Clearly, the SWAC's goals are to maintain itself in it's current form and not improve the product on the field on the national scene so much as making money (which is important), but the ultimate goal of a football program or any sport is to be the best you can be againest your peers at your level, not just your conference."

When does it get to a point where being competitive matters to anyone in the SWAC? I would say when all the bills are paid, but the SWAC schools are not even close to funding their sports at the same level as other conferences at the FCS level, even with money-making football postseason opportunities and playing 8-12 guarantee games in basketball...

Explain those finances to me...

bjtheflamesfan
October 2nd, 2010, 08:40 AM
You two...take it to PMs...