PDA

View Full Version : If App State leaves the SoCon for FBS...

Sir William
October 1st, 2010, 08:38 AM
...who is the likely replacement?

mcveyrl
October 1st, 2010, 08:41 AM
Carson-Newman... :P

How about Liberty? You guys will get some Virginny representation.

Other options:

Anybody else in the Big South (except SB)
UT-Martin
Jax State
ETSU...wait.

DFW HOYA
October 1st, 2010, 08:42 AM
Jacksonville?

Redhawk2010
October 1st, 2010, 09:51 AM
Why would UT-Martin want to move to the SoCon? That travel would be awful! And would they be competitive enough to make that switch?

WestCoastAggie
October 1st, 2010, 09:56 AM
Would the SoCon really look at a HBCU?

GSUhooligan
October 1st, 2010, 10:00 AM
Would the SoCon really look at a HBCU?

We would love to have SC State (can't speak for the rest of the conference) they'd be right up 301 and would be a good game home and away.

CrackerRiley
October 1st, 2010, 10:01 AM
Private school?

Smitty
October 1st, 2010, 10:06 AM
Wasn't there talk about Presbyterian joining the SoCon in 2012?

mcveyrl
October 1st, 2010, 10:08 AM
Why would UT-Martin want to move to the SoCon? That travel would be awful! And would they be competitive enough to make that switch?

Yea, I'm a little off on my geography there...but I think they could compete as well as Chatty and Samford once they moved in.

PaladinFan
October 1st, 2010, 10:16 AM
Wasn't there talk about Presbyterian joining the SoCon in 2012?

Not that I know of. Hopefully not.

Redhawk2010
October 1st, 2010, 10:17 AM
I think EKU has talked about wanting to move to the SoCon. I've also heard Jacksonville State considering it (as well as moving up to FBS). Nothing against Jacksonville State, but I know several here at SEMO who would be just fine with them leaving. Some of the other conference schools have similar feelings. Traveling to JSU is just no fun! I did it last weekend with our women's soccer team.

I don't really see UT-Martin making that move. Their bus trips currently look like this:

SEMO 2 hours
EIU 4.5 hours
Murray State 1 hour
Morehead State 6 hours
EKU 5.5 hours
Austin Peay 2 hours
Tennessee State 3 hours
Jacksonville State 6 hours
Southern Illinois-Edwardsville 4 hours

You want to go from their longest trip being 6 hours and make their shortest trip 5? I just don't see them wanting to do that for a variety of reasons. And I don't see SoCon schools jumping at the chance to add that kind of a trip either..

Aho_Old_Guy
October 1st, 2010, 10:19 AM
...who is the likely replacement?

You're not going to get rid of us that easy xlolx We'll stick around in the SoCon just to be a pain in the collective arses of Vermin University.

youwouldno
October 1st, 2010, 10:36 AM
I wouldn't start sending invites just yet, but anyway... Presby is a non-starter, they may not even remain D-I. I'd say Jax St., Coastal, Tenn. Tech might be options. EKU is kinda far from most schools in the SoCon.

jmufan999
October 1st, 2010, 10:37 AM
Liberty would be a wise move... for the SoCon. maybe not as much for Liberty. now that the Big South has an autobid, i PERSONALLY wouldn't move to the SoCon. i'd be happy to dominate the Big South and make the playoffs every year. much more of a crapshoot if they went to the SoCon.

Sir William
October 1st, 2010, 10:38 AM
Liberty has their sights set on FBS.

JSU02
October 1st, 2010, 10:42 AM
Why would Jax State go to the SoCon? We are going FBS.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
October 1st, 2010, 11:26 AM
Depends on what GaSoU does. If they leave, the balance really swings to smaller, mainly private schools. Would that push Chattanooga to the OVC? If they stay, then a Coastal Carolina becomes more feasible so there is another public.

houtexan
October 1st, 2010, 11:30 AM
ETSU brings football back...

JSU02
October 1st, 2010, 11:58 AM

If they do, and they can get over the OVC giving them the shaft a few years ago, I think the OVC would be cheaper travel wise for them.

Appfan_in_CAAland
October 1st, 2010, 12:26 PM
Private school?

1)Davidson (back as an all-sport member)
2)Prebyterian
3)Gardner-Webb
4)Jacksonville
5)Lenior-Rhyne
6)Carson-Newman
7)Campbell
8)Tusculum
9)Guilford
10)Wingate

Blueandwhitefightfight
October 1st, 2010, 12:36 PM
If App. leaves, I hope we follow.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
October 1st, 2010, 12:43 PM

Speaking from the perspective as an ETSU alum, this will not happen until after Stanton/Mullins are gone.

asknoquarter21
October 1st, 2010, 01:17 PM
UNC Charlotte????

just kidding

bostonspider
October 1st, 2010, 01:43 PM
Well how about old school? ASU and GSU go to FBS, UTC heads to the OVC, WCU goes to the Big South and then Davidson, W&M, UR and VMI come back. (UR for football only)

Davidson
Elon
Furman
Richmond
Samford
The Citadel
VMI
W&M
Wofford

WileECoyote06
October 1st, 2010, 01:55 PM
The South Atlantic Conference schools don't even offer all 36 scholarships at the D2 level. So I doubt any of them would be willing to move up to the SoCon.

Appfan_in_CAAland
October 1st, 2010, 03:02 PM
Well how about old school? ASU and GSU go to FBS, UTC heads to the OVC, WCU goes to the Big South and then Davidson, W&M, UR and VMI come back. (UR for football only)

Davidson
Elon
Furman
Richmond
Samford
The Citadel
VMI
W&M
Wofford

Then may they can convince Wake Forest and Duke to go back to the SoCon where they belong.

Sir William
October 1st, 2010, 04:13 PM
The South Atlantic Conference schools don't even offer all 36 scholarships at the D2 level. So I doubt any of them would be willing to move up to the SoCon.

No SAC school is even considered in the poll...much less considered as a legitimate replacement if App were to move up.

ThompsonThe
October 1st, 2010, 04:58 PM
Unless ETSU would take up football again, I believe that Kennesaw State (Just north of Atlanta) or Jacksonville (Florida) of the Atlantic Sun Conference (NOT Jacksonville State -or- Jackson State) would be the best choices after Gardner Webb. GW would be real close to Wofford and Furman, great for minor sports. Jacksonville, I believe, has only been playing football for about three or so years, and puts a great team on the table, with Kennesaw just starting up. Gardner Webb having a win over a MAC team a couple of weeks ago shows how strong they have gotten.

jmufan999
October 1st, 2010, 05:31 PM
i'm starting to get sick of the "______________ has their sights set on FBS". i've read about 30 different teams on this site that "have their sights set on FBS." how many FCS teams make the move to FBS per year? yet for some reason, people seem to think that alllllllllll these different teams are going tomorrow. a few will go at some point, many more will talk about it until they're blue in the face and never actually do anything.

ThompsonThe
October 1st, 2010, 05:38 PM
i'm starting to get sick of the "______________ has their sights set on FBS". i've read about 30 different teams on this site that "have their sights set on FBS." how many FCS teams make the move to FBS per year? yet for some reason, people seem to think that alllllllllll these different teams are going tomorrow. a few will go at some point, many more will talk about it until they're blue in the face and never actually do anything.

I agree. Have heard so many talk about it, but remember, no one can declare until May 2011 basically.
However, Texas State, UTSA and Montana (being present) gave their spiels to the WAC a couple of days ago.
Jacksonville State's president has come out and said they are going FBS just as fast as it is open.
Many new teams fans claim they are going on to FBS.
It is a lot of talk right now, but there is no action only because they cannot act yet.

Sir William
October 1st, 2010, 05:56 PM

I made a statement earlier about Liberty having their sights on FBS. That's based upon Liberty's athletic administration alluding to that possibility a few months back, along with their relatively short-term plans to expand Williams Stadium to 30,000+ seats. Additionally, Liberty has the fan base to make a go of it, IMO. Nonetheless, and at best, it's all in the planning stages for now.

Still, whether Liberty stays FCS or eventually seeks to move up to FBS, I have a hard time seeing them in the SoCon. No disrespect to Liberty.

WileECoyote06
October 1st, 2010, 05:58 PM
No SAC school is even considered in the poll...much less considered as a legitimate replacement if App were to move up.

Originally Posted by CrackerRiley
Private school?

1)Davidson (back as an all-sport member)
2)Prebyterian
3)Gardner-Webb
4)Jacksonville
5)Lenior-Rhyne
6)Carson-Newman
7)Campbell
8)Tusculum
9)Guilford
10)Wingate

I was responding to another poster. You thought I just pulled that comment out of my butt?

gophoenix
October 1st, 2010, 08:28 PM
The SoCon will try to maintain the public/private balance, try to keep UTC and so on. Liberty, Jax State are out.

I'd say the possibilities are SC State, Tenn Tech, Kennesaw St, Coastal Carolina, Hampton, VMI and maybe Gardner-Webb (those with NCAA problems in teh past decade, I doubt it), UNC-Pembroke or North Alabama are possible. If the CAA South falls apart, maybe William & Mary or Richmond are possible, who knows.

My gut tells me a western school, a virginia school and two schools central.

SAC schools are out. No viable D-III teams in the area to move up. Campbell is out and doubtful they could afford the Big South buyout now since they recently bought out their A-Sun placement. Presbyterian is having funding issues.

My guess is App and GSU both go and the SoCon tries to get up to 14 teams keeping the public/private balance it has now.

BJuice
October 1st, 2010, 10:43 PM
No mention of Charleston Southern???

As a CSU alum, I'd love to see us join the SoCon. Then, The Citadel couldn't sidestep us in football any longer. We already have nice competitive cross-town rivalries with The Citadel and C of C in basketball and other sports.

PrinterEagle
October 1st, 2010, 11:32 PM
Unless ETSU would take up football again, I believe that Kennesaw State (Just north of Atlanta) or Jacksonville (Florida) of the Atlantic Sun Conference (NOT Jacksonville State -or- Jackson State) would be the best choices after Gardner Webb. GW would be real close to Wofford and Furman, great for minor sports. Jacksonville, I believe, has only been playing football for about three or so years, and puts a great team on the table, with Kennesaw just starting up. Gardner Webb having a win over a MAC team a couple of weeks ago shows how strong they have gotten.

For the record, JU's been playing football since 1998 (entire time in PFL)

Sir William
October 1st, 2010, 11:52 PM
No mention of Charleston Southern???

Two words: "stadium plan". Enough said.

zilla
October 2nd, 2010, 07:42 AM
Coastal Carolina will most definately lobby for SoCon admission if a spot comes available.

tractorapp
October 2nd, 2010, 08:06 AM
I think this would be the ideal alignment for the SoCon going forward. Lots of tradition in that line up of teams. As the father of a Citadel grad, I know they would be thrilled to have VMI back on the schedule every year. Davidson needs to step up and play SoCon football, or get out of the conference altogether in my opinion.

Davidson
Elon
Furman
Richmond
Samford
The Citadel
VMI
W&M
Wofford