PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Places Florida a&m on 4 years probation.

Retro
February 1st, 2006, 11:19 PM
FAMU gets probation no additional penaltiesAssociated Press
College Football News Wire

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- The NCAA put Florida A&M on probation for four years Wednesday but did not add to penalties, including the loss of scholarships and championships, already imposed by the school and by the Mid-East Athletic Conference.

The university earlier admitted 196 rule violations in all 15 men's and women's sports spanning seven years from 1998-99 to 2004-05.

"The institution has acknowledged that its compliance program was understaffed and inadequately funded, which resulted in an inexperienced and inadequately trained compliance staff," said Jo Potuto, vice chairwoman of the NCAA's Division I Committee on Infractions.

Potuto, also a University of Nebraska law professor, said FAMU exhibited lack of institutional control.

The committee, however, found no evidence former football coach Billy Joe, who was fired in June, had committed any infractions and that he was free to seek other employment in the college ranks, Potuto said.

She praised FAMU's interim president, Castell Bryant, for efforts to correct the school's problems, but said they aren't enough to avoid probation.

"Numerous bylaws were misinterpreted, large numbers of student-athletes were certified improperly and many student-athletes competed while ineligible," she said.

The school will be subject to continuing oversight by the NCAA during the probationary period and must submit reports on the progress of corrective actions.

FAMU's self-imposed sanctions include three years on probation, the loss of four partial and two full scholarships in football and one each in baseball, women's basketball and women's track in each of the next three academic years.

The school also is cutting four official visits in football over that span.

The MEAC has stripped Florida A&M of 11 conference titles including two in football, but allowed the Rattlers to return to the conference after an abortive attempt to jump from Division I-AA to Division I-A in football

LINK (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2315688)

TxSt02
February 1st, 2006, 11:49 PM
196...what a joke!!!

nlwwln
February 2nd, 2006, 06:32 AM
thats to bad, weve really seen the demise of a football program that looked to have greener pastures ahead of it some 4 years ago. You cant deny that famu had put up some good teams in the past.

Saint3333
February 2nd, 2006, 08:59 AM
You can't deny that any school with 100+ violations couldn't field a good team...

bigbluetiger
February 2nd, 2006, 11:05 AM
The 100+ was in ALL sports not just football.

Go...gate
February 2nd, 2006, 04:22 PM
Still far too many...

Mr. C
February 2nd, 2006, 04:38 PM
In the wake of FAMU's firing of Billy Joe it is real interesting that the NCAA didn't find any violations by Joe. Can you smell a big law suit and settlement for Joe from FAMU? One of the reasons for firing him was the NCAA problems. Seems to me like they made Joe a scapegoat. Kind of thought that all along.

ngineer
February 2nd, 2006, 05:51 PM
In the wake of FAMU's firing of Billy Joe it is real interesting that the NCAA didn't find any violations by Joe. Can you smell a big law suit and settlement for Joe from FAMU? One of the reasons for firing him was the NCAA problems. Seems to me like they made Joe a scapegoat. Kind of thought that all along.

Already coming. Link to the article about Joe's suit on the I-AA.com website.
I agree. Sounds like he was the 'fall guy'.