PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Power Rankings 9-27

JALMOND
September 28th, 2010, 12:37 AM
Ok, taking stock of what we know after this past weekend's football games. Pretty much we know Montana State has a good football team. Beyond that, anything goes. How good is Montana? How good is EWU? How good is anyone in this conference. Only two teams won games on the road in the whole month (NAU beat Idaho State and PSU beat UC-Davis), although EWU has a win on a neutral field and there have been some close misses. That said, here are this week's power rankings. This week (last week). Have fun.

1. Montana State (1)---With all going on, the Bobcats took care of business and got a long awaited win over Eastern Washington, a win made even more satisfying after EWU had beaten Montana the previous week. The Bobcats have this season underway in a positive way and hope to improve each week. This week, hopeful improvement as they head on the road to Sacramento State and face the upstart Hornets. Can they keep the good feeling going?

2. Montana (3)---With the ship reeling after two straight road losses, the Grizzlies welcomed a return home and faced Sacramento State, a team that had not beaten the Grizzlies in Missoula ever. Just what the doctor ordered, a little home cooking and the Grizzlies got back on the winning track. Have they turned a corner? A great opportunity to keep it going as they head down the road to Northern Colorado, a team the Grizzlies have owned since they entered the Big Sky. Then again, only two road teams have won so far this year.

3. Eastern Washington (2)---What a tale of two weekends. The Eagles were coming off of a great home win over Montana and feeling invincible as they headed to Montana State, a team they had beaten eight straight years. However, the Eagles were shown how one-dimensional they are and eight years of success over Montana State went away in a hurry. How good is this Eagles team? We'll soon find out as this week, they go back on the road to face Weber State. If anyone needs a road win, they do.

4. Northern Arizona (5)---While everyone else was preoccupied with Montana State and Eastern Washington, or Montana and Sacramento State, the Jacks were quietly but soundly putting away Idaho State on the road. Quietly, this Jacks team is slowly emerging as a possible contender. Late season swoons are popular with this team but for now, they are looking good. This weekend, they step out of conference and head down the short road to Southern Utah. Can they avoid a loss in this possible trap game?

5. Sacramento State (4)---Hoping for a great year, the Hornets knew the path would lead through Montana, a place they had not won since joining the Big Sky. But with Montana showing a bit of mortality, the Hornets were hoping for a win finally. There they were at the end, close but not quite on top. Time to throw in the towel? Hardly. This week another big game, but this time it is at home against Montana State. Another opportunity to take down the giant.

6. Weber State (6)---After playing two early conference games, the Wildcats stepped out of conference to play UC-Davis, a team that was expected to offer up little resistance, especially after they had lost to Portland State. However, the Wildcats had to fight tooth and nail for the win, but a win nonetheless. This week, they welcome Eastern Washington to their house, a team reeling from a big disappointment. Is the time right to get back on top?

7. Portland State (8)---Usually a bye is a time to regroup and get ready for the next slate of games. For the Vikings, the bye brought a sense of encouragement as the team they beat on the road, UC-Davis, gave fellow Big Sky member Weber State all they could handle before succumbing in defeat. But it will all be for naught if they cannot get the wins. This week brings a return to action and a return to the FCS as they face Idaho State. Easy pickings maybe (or maybe not).

8. Northern Colorado (7)---As most conference teams were starting conference play, the Bears headed into Big 10 country and played Michigan State in a money game. Any hopes for an upset quickly faded away as the Big 10 team proved to be far superior. Time for things to get easier? How about a visit from Montana, a team who has had the Bears number since joining the Big Sky. These games have not been close, will this year be the year?

9. Idaho State (9)---This season began with such great promise for the Bengals. However, this past weekend while at home, Northern Arizona delivered a cruel blow to the hopes of the Bengals. Probably a good thing not many people were paying attention. This week, they head up to Portland State, a team they were able to get their only win last year. That game was in Pocatello, can they expect the same thing in Portland?

As it is...MSU clearly in front, UM and EWU close together, NAU, Sac State, and WSU all bunched a bit behind, PSU and UNC not too far behind and ISU bringing the rear.

I Bleed Purple
September 28th, 2010, 12:46 AM
I'd still put EWU at number 2.

EWU has the head to head win and their loss was to the number 1 team. Montana's win is against Sac.

TokyoGriz
September 28th, 2010, 06:11 AM
EWU is one dimensional. TJ is out with an injury or a halfway decent D stops the run EWU has no other plays to really make.

Walkon79
September 28th, 2010, 10:20 AM
the Cats have sturggled in the past in Cali. But I have a good feeling about this group and it all starts with the coaching staff. They never seem get too high or too low, so I expect a workmanlike effort at Sac and a relatively easy victory. that's if we can keep at least a few members of the OL upright. Also Sac is fairly vanilla on the offensive side of the ball and the Cats are very strong against the run once again.

putter
September 28th, 2010, 10:37 AM
I agree with Tokyo, without Jones, EWU played average at best. Taking nothing away from MSU as they are ranked #1 in this poll..and deservedly so..

EdubAlum
September 28th, 2010, 12:37 PM
while i don't disagree we're one dimensional, i think the box score is interesting. Since bigskytv cut out, i was unable to watch 95% of the game, but if you didn't know the score of the game, we played a lot better than the final score suggested.

Team Statistics (Final)
2010 Eastern Washington Univ. Football
#9 Eastern Washington vs #17 Montana State (Sep 25, 2010 at Bozeman, Montana)

EWU MSU

FIRST DOWNS................... 23 19
Rushing..................... 6 9
Passing..................... 15 10
Penalty..................... 2 0
NET YARDS RUSHING............. 110 156
Rushing Attempts............ 27 44
Average Per Rush............ 4.1 3.5
Rushing Touchdowns.......... 0 2
Yards Gained Rushing........ 115 176
Yards Lost Rushing.......... 5 20
NET YARDS PASSING............. 272 283
Completions-Attempts-Int.... 24-49-1 15-24-1
Average Per Attempt......... 5.6 11.8
Average Per Completion...... 11.3 18.9
Passing Touchdowns.......... 1 1
TOTAL OFFENSE YARDS........... 382 439
Total offense plays......... 76 68
Average Gain Per Play....... 5.0 6.5
Fumbles: Number-Lost.......... 2-1 0-0
Penalties: Number-Yards....... 8-60 4-39
PUNTS-YARDS................... 5-188 4-155
Average Yards Per Punt...... 37.6 38.8
Net Yards Per Punt.......... 32.0 38.5
Inside 20................... 2 1
50+ Yards................... 1 0
Touchbacks.................. 1 0
Fair catch.................. 3 3
KICKOFFS-YARDS................ 2-138 6-403
Average Yards Per Kickoff... 69.0 67.2
Net Yards Per Kickoff....... 47.0 39.3
Touchbacks.................. 0 2
Punt returns: Number-Yards-TD. 1-1-0 1-8-0
Average Per Return.......... 1.0 8.0
Kickoff returns: Number-Yds-TD 4-127-0 2-44-0
Average Per Return.......... 31.8 22.0
Interceptions: Number-Yds-TD.. 1-9-0 1-53-1
Fumble Returns: Number-Yds-TD. 0-0-0 0-0-0
Miscellaneous Yards........... 0 0
Possession Time............... 27:52 32:08
1st Quarter................. 9:09 5:51
2nd Quarter................. 5:47 9:13
3rd Quarter................. 8:32 6:28
4th Quarter................. 4:24 10:36
Third-Down Conversions........ 6 of 17 6 of 14
Fourth-Down Conversions....... 1 of 2 2 of 2
Red-Zone Scores-Chances....... 1-3 4-6
Sacks By: Number-Yards........ 0-0 0-0
PAT Kicks..................... 1-1 3-4
Field Goals................... 0-2 1-1

GoCatsGo
September 28th, 2010, 02:17 PM
Edub, since you did miss 95% of the game I can see how the stats would mislead you. A large portion of the yards and first down made by EWU were made in the last of the 3rd quarter and all of the 4th quarter. By that time the score I believe was 23-7 and the Cat D was basically playing 'prevent' defense, playing way off the ball and giving up the short slant routes and short yardage plays. What EWU couldn't do at that time was put the ball in the endzone. So I disagree with you, the score paints a better picture of the game than the stats do, IMO.

Squealofthepig
September 28th, 2010, 02:21 PM
I watched about half of the last quarter between MSU/EWU (while nervously flipping back and forth with the Griz game); as GoCatsGo said, the Cats played prevent D, ceding huge chunks of yardage while protecting against the big play. The announcers commented several times that this was helping the EWU stats while protecting the MSU win.

(I'd still have EWU over the Griz by virtue of the head-to-head win).

wapiti
September 28th, 2010, 04:37 PM
Here is how I would rank them:

1. Montana State
2. Eastern Washington
T3. Northern Arizona
T3. Montana
5. Sacramento State
6. Weber State
7. Northern Colorado
8. Portland State
9. Idaho State

Jacked_Rabbit
September 28th, 2010, 06:37 PM
WOW, Vegas really screwed things up this week!!! Why is Montana only favored by 3 over Northern Colorado!?!?!

I realize that Selle is out, but it sounds like the back-up is more than capable to step in... I am absoultely shocked, so I wanted to reach out to my Big Sky friends in order to make sure I'm not off-base for wanting to put my life savings on the Griz to cover the 3 pts.

Thoughts?

JALMOND
September 28th, 2010, 07:28 PM
Regarding EWU/UM, the reason why I gave the short edge to the Griz was the uncertainty of Jones' playing status and the inability for the rest of the Eagles to show that they can play without him. Also, with the win against Sac State, I'm thinking the Griz may finally have their heads out of their butts and start playing like the Griz are able to do. Even without Jones (or limited ability), the Eagles should have been able to at least stay with MSU (my opinion only), even on the road. I even considered moving NAU ahead of EWU based on the Eagles uncertainty, but didn't mainly due to the Jacks' history of fading and that they play at EWU later this coming month.

CopperCat
September 28th, 2010, 10:04 PM
Here is how I would rank them:

1. Montana State
2. Eastern Washington
T3. Northern Arizona
T3. Montana
5. Sacramento State
6. Weber State
7. Northern Colorado
8. Portland State
9. Idaho State

NAU should be #3, EWU #2, UM #4. UM hasn't played well against anyone really, and NAU has taken care of business against everyone they should have. I don't think the have been tested like EWU or UM has, but they have a great QB with some solid lineman to help him out. 2-4 will be a battle this weekend, I don't see MSU falling victim to the letdown. The coaching staff this year has stayed aggressive, and the product on the field has shown that every single week.

putter
September 28th, 2010, 11:06 PM
Well UNC coming off a large loss to Michigan St and the Griz still making too many mistakes but getting the W this time.....playing for Selle...I would take that bet as I think Roper is more comfortable in this offense than Selle was. I look for the Griz to put up some numbers in this game. If nothing else, the Griz receivers have played very well and can flat out run.

Walkon79
September 29th, 2010, 09:42 AM
One downside of the Grizzlies early struggles. It appears to be difficult to keep BSC news on the front page of this blog :)