PDA

View Full Version : TXST's case for being a top team?

Syntax Error
September 27th, 2010, 02:45 PM
Lay it out for us guys.

TexasTerror
September 27th, 2010, 02:54 PM
I'd love to see people justify what makes TXST a top team...

I'm very interested to see what they do when SLC play rolls around. They may get off to a hot start because of how their schedule starts. A road trip to SLU (could Beatty be back and 100% at that game?) and then home for both Nicholls, Northwestern State - conceivably the worse teams in the league (alongside SHSU - who at least has a Div I win)...

To me, TXST's season falls in a three-week period - @ SFA (10/30), vs UCA (11/6) and @ McNeese (11/13). Regardless of what McNeese has done or has not done (and yes, they have not done much) - if TXST splits the first two, they could be playing for a berth into the playoffs in 'The Hole'. Lose that one and the momentum is not on their side heading into the rivalry game vs SHSU (which TXST seems to win when they really need to).

I've made a few remarks here - http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?75162-CS.com-Week-4-Poll

MaximumBobcat
September 27th, 2010, 02:59 PM
Define top team?

TXST should probably be around #15-20. Which is where they are.

No problem with TXST's placing in the poll on my end.

Other teams around TXST are a bit perplexing though.

danefan
September 27th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Where do you all have Cal Poly ranked?
How about Montana?

Its all relative.

I couldn't come up with more than 15 teams to rank so i didn't vote this week. I would have Texas State at 13.

ToTheLeft
September 27th, 2010, 03:09 PM
Well, they beat Cal Poly who a lot of people obviously have ahead of TXST, since they're ranked ahead of the Bobcats.

They're undefeated against FCS.

I don't see how you can disqualify them from being a top 10 team, since they've done nothing to say they're anything but.

Syntax Error
September 27th, 2010, 03:12 PM
I've made a few remarks here

There a few teams that are neck-and-neck with you guys from the 'best of the rest'...

Illinois State (3-1) - lone loss to N'western, beat South Dakota State on the road and topped a Missouri State team that was started to break into the top 25
Youngstown State (3-1) - reputation helps, lone loss to FBS Penn State, strength of schedule is weak though (advantage TXST)
Western Illinois (3-1) - very similar situation to YSU - no real good wins
SEMO (3-1) - two road wins including perennially tough Southern Illinois, lone loss to FBS, 2-0 in OVC already
Georgia Southern (3-1) - beat Elon, road win at Big South favorite (on AGS at least) Coastal Carolina, loss to FBS Navy by six
Furman (2-1) - convincing wins over Colgate and The Citadel, loss to FBS

TXST would probably rank No. 2 or No. 3 of this group - may have missed a school or two...

#2 or 3 from that group? Seriously?

SM_Bobcat
September 27th, 2010, 03:16 PM
What do you mean by a top team? No Texas State does not deserve to be ranked ahead of:
1. Villanova
2. James Madison
3. Appalachian St.
4. Jacksonville St.
5. Delaware
6. Stephen F. Austin
7. Massachusetts
8. William & Mary
9. South Carolina St.
10. Montana St.
11. North Dakota St.

After that, there is a laundry list of teams that could all be ranked #12, and I personally would rank Texas State first in the list, because of beating Cal Poly, and Southern Utah (I personally put alot of weight in the fact that Southern Utah out played and barely lost to both Wyoming and San Jose State). But, a good argument for just about any of the teams in the rest of the TOP 20 as well. So, I do think that the top 15-20 area is about right.

tw_fatcat
September 27th, 2010, 03:22 PM
Syntax, not sure what you are trying to get at but it isn't just Texas State fans wondering how they are behind Cal Poly at this point. I am not sure I have seen anyone (TXST fans) saying we are a top 10 team. I think Texas State is right about where it should be. The question at hand is where the love for Cal Poly and Montana is coming from. Cal Poly is a good team and deserve to be ranked, but ahead of Texas State is what is in question. Montana on the other hand is just riding the name of being Montana.

TT, you should know exactly what we are saying because you have heard our arguments here and on our board. No one has told you we are a top 10 team we are just wondering how Cal Poly is ahead of us. So far, you have told us they were ranked higher preseason (which is ridiculous because preseason polls are nothing but speculation. Then they went on to beat the number one team in the country, Montana (who have since proven they are anything but).

Cal Poly has no more significant wins than Texas State when you take name recognition out of the equation. Head to head Texas State is better. I know you bring up being at home but is Bobcat Stadium really worth 9 points?

Syntax Error
September 27th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Syntax, not sure what you are trying to get at...

Just want to see a good case for TXST outside of what the bashers say.

TexasTerror
September 27th, 2010, 03:27 PM
I am not sure I have seen anyone (TXST fans) saying we are a top 10 team.

CS.com ranks you as a top 10 team. I know there are a few TXST fans who participate there, but no TXST backer as you acknowledged as said you are a top 10 team... good point.

Syntax Error
September 27th, 2010, 03:27 PM
CS.com ranks you as a top 10 team.

Same as Pete's Poll? Same amount of points and votes apparently.

tw_fatcat
September 27th, 2010, 03:28 PM
Just want to see a good case for TXST outside of what the bashers say.

A good case for something none of us are claiming? You aren't going to get one. I think most of us are happy with our placement just confused at the placement of others ahead of us. If Cal Poly is really worthy of 14 then maybe Texas State is worthy of 13. That seems like a pretty good case because I have never heard of a stadium swinging a game 9 points.

tw_fatcat
September 27th, 2010, 03:30 PM
CS.com ranks you as a top 10 team. I know there are a few TXST fans who participate there, but no TXST backer as you acknowledged as said you are a top 10 team... good point.

A few? I seem to remember you asking on our board how many of TXST fans were a part of their poll and to my knowledge only Catmom is active there. I may be wrong.

Did you ever get an answer to the question as to how many of us were on the CS.com poll? I didn't see it and you apparently had no idea how many there were a few weeks ago.

Syntax Error
September 27th, 2010, 03:31 PM
A good case for something none of us are claiming? You aren't going to get one. I think most of us are happy with our placement just confused at the placement of others ahead of us. If Cal Poly is really worthy of 14 then maybe Texas State is worthy of 13. That seems like a pretty good case because I have never heard of a stadium swinging a game 9 points.

Okay, I think a top 15 ranking means you are a top team but I read bashers say you aren't. Just asking.

tw_fatcat
September 27th, 2010, 03:33 PM
Okay, I think a top 15 ranking means you are a top team but I read bashers say you aren't. Just asking.

If that is your question I have no idea. It seems most I have seen on here are questioning the validity of Cal Poly being ahead of TXST at this point, not just TXST fans. I haven't seen the bashers yet but maybe I need to keep reading.

Syntax Error
September 27th, 2010, 03:35 PM
I haven't seen the bashers yet...

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?75164-TXST-s-case-for-being-a-top-team&p=1559849&viewfull=1#post1559849

danefan
September 27th, 2010, 03:37 PM
Anyone willing to say that they have Texas State ranked lower than Montana and/or Cal Poly and why?

Its a valid argument to say they TXST isn't a top 10 team. I really haven't seen any reason to say they should be ranked lower than Montana and/or Cal Poly. Anyone?

tw_fatcat
September 27th, 2010, 03:38 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?75164-TXST-s-case-for-being-a-top-team&p=1559849&viewfull=1#post1559849

Oh well, TT's remarks tend to blow past me. I don't expect anything positive to come out of anything TT writes pertaining to TXST.

Syntax Error
September 27th, 2010, 03:40 PM
TT says TXST should be lower than one or two of Illinois State, Youngstown State, Western Illinois, SEMO, Georgia Southern, Furman :D

TexasTerror
September 27th, 2010, 03:42 PM
TT says TXST should be lower than one or two of Illinois State, Youngstown State, Western Illinois, SEMO, Georgia Southern, Furman :D

It would not be hard to justify that ILST is higher than TXST on the totem pole. Not sure about the others however... but I would rank ILST ahead of TXST.

tw_fatcat
September 27th, 2010, 03:47 PM
It would not be hard to justify that ILST is higher than TXST on the totem pole. Not sure about the others however... but I would rank ILST ahead of TXST.

You actually said you would rank us #2 or #3 out of that group. Who else could you justify? I can see the Illinois State one. I don't necessarily agree but I can see it. Who else on that list is better.

I have seen your justification of the Cal Poly situation and once again I don't agree. I don't think we should be higher in the rankings but wondering what made them so high on the list.

cpalum
September 27th, 2010, 03:53 PM
You actually said you would rank us #2 or #3 out of that group. Who else could you justify? I can see the Illinois State one. I don't necessarily agree but I can see it. Who else on that list is better.

I have seen your justification of the Cal Poly situation and once again I don't agree. I don't think we should be higher in the rankings but wondering what made them so high on the list.

Ok I'll bite

1st Texas State should be ranked higher....but this would be my argument....

No road wins for Texas State… I think polls usually look at road wins pretty favorably and whether you think McNeese is in an off year or not they came into last Saturdays game against Poly as the #20 team in the country. That game was not close. Texas State won a home game against a team whose only win came against non-scholarship San Diego.

TexasTerror
September 27th, 2010, 05:28 PM

Do I need to justify anymore teams? I said #2 or #3. Right now, Illinois State is the only team of the group listed (gave myself flexibility incase I missed someone else, which is likely).

No road wins for Texas State… I think polls usually look at road wins pretty favorably and whether you think McNeese is in an off year or not they came into last Saturdays game against Poly as the #20 team in the country. That game was not close. Texas State won a home game against a team whose only win came against non-scholarship San Diego.

It's what I said...

Road games are looked upon favorably and even more so if it is a McNeese, that has a reputation - regardless of how good and bad they are. TXST has yet to win a Div I game outside of the "friendly confines" of Bobcat Stadium.

slycat
September 27th, 2010, 07:37 PM
I have voted in the cs.com poll before but not this week as I didn't have time. So it wasn't me pushing the team to the top.

I agree that's it's hard to rank montana and cal poly in front them. The reason they are higher at cs.com is because there wasn't a preseason poll to elevated the other two schools.

McNeese75
September 27th, 2010, 08:51 PM
Don't worry about the frickiin polls. If your team performs throughout the season they will be rewarded in the polls that count.

msusig
September 27th, 2010, 09:12 PM
Your win will look a lot more favorable if our coaches can turn our season around, but so far this is definitely an off year. I'm definitely not looking forward to Tiger Stadium. We should have played them last year.

umassfan
September 27th, 2010, 09:23 PM
Lay it out for us guys.

Are you just trying to cause issues and drama on the board? Granted the board has become quite dull lately but your posts seem pretty out there.

El Gato
September 27th, 2010, 09:33 PM
I've already said on another thread that I kind of agree with Texas State's placement at the moment. Because at the moment Cal Poly's victory over Montana is still pretty impressive (especially when I saw some of those highlights). Now notice I said at the moment. If we continue to prove ourselves with a win over SLU in Hammond, and don't lay an egg against Nicholls and NWST, heading into the SFA game at 6-1 then I think we should be in the top ten. I will admit though I was hoping for a top 15 ranking. But that is my homerism coming out.

Like that MSU poster said, win and it will all sort out, and if it doesn't then we will have some words to share here.

El Gato
September 27th, 2010, 09:35 PM
Oh and I just want to add the answer to TT's question on how many voters there are on CS.com. According to Catmom, just two.

McNeese75
September 27th, 2010, 10:21 PM
Are you just trying to cause issues and drama on the board? Granted the board has become quite dull lately but your posts seem pretty out there.

And I thought I was the only one that noticed xeyebrowx

Twentysix
September 27th, 2010, 11:46 PM
Lay it out for us guys.

Cal poly, who beat montana, who is going to be in the WAC, whos home to Boise state, whos going to be in the BCS national championship game, which yeilds NFL talent, which ultimately leads an NFL team to the lombardi trophy.

Or the one word answer most TXST fans will go with: Calpoly.

Using transitive theory I have just proven how TXST wins the superbowl.

lionsrking2
September 28th, 2010, 12:08 AM
I'd love to see people justify what makes TXST a top team...

I'm very interested to see what they do when SLC play rolls around. They may get off to a hot start because of how their schedule starts. A road trip to SLU (could Beatty be back and 100% at that game?)

Beatty played this week and is just fine...we should have everybody back and healthy, including our best D-lineman (Devin Boutwell) who has missed the last two games.

TexasTerror
September 28th, 2010, 07:48 AM
Tyler Mayforth of the San Marcos Daily Record placed Cal Poly over TXST per his Cat's Cradle (http://smdrcatscradle.blogspot.com/2010/09/college-football-how-mayforth-voted-in_27.html) blog. Funny enough - he posted this mid-day yesterday and has yet to get ripped by the Bobcat brass...

Otherwise I don't see many points for contention other than Cal Poly ranked ahead of Texas State. While the Bobcats did beat the Mustangs two weeks ago, Cal Poly owns wins against then-No. 1 Montana and then-ranked McNeese State (on the road) while Texas State's quality FCS wins are against the Mustangs and unranked Southern Utah (both at home).

TXST TLG8
September 28th, 2010, 12:34 PM
Tyler Mayforth of the San Marcos Daily Record placed Cal Poly over TXST per his Cat's Cradle (http://smdrcatscradle.blogspot.com/2010/09/college-football-how-mayforth-voted-in_27.html) blog. Funny enough - he posted this mid-day yesterday and has yet to get ripped by the Bobcat brass...

That's because he is an idiot and we have grown to be used to his stupidity. We just expected more from an intelligent AGS poll... No worries, it will work out when we beat Cal Poly head to head, oops my bad we already did...

ToTheLeft
September 28th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Yeah, Mayforth is one of the reasons the TSN poll is worthless. He had New Hampshire at like 8 after they lost to URI, he had Montana at 3 after they lost to EWU. He has no idea what's going on in FCS football and I could name a bunch of posters from this board who could submit a much better poll than he does.

SM_Bobcat
September 28th, 2010, 12:48 PM

As I asked Tyler, the the number of loses that a team has against FCS competition doesn't matter in the polls?

The only loss that Texas State has so far is to the University of Houston with what at the time was Hiesman front runner Case Keenum at QB, a game that I would be willing to bet that EVERY FCS team would have lost.... While Cal Poly is currently 2-1 in FCS play...

Twentysix
November 29th, 2010, 06:53 PM
I just laughed at this thread. :D Its fun to see how things play out, hindsight is 20/20

TexasTerror
November 30th, 2010, 12:13 PM
I just laughed at this thread. :D Its fun to see how things play out, hindsight is 20/20

The last-place SLC finish do it for you?