18. Montana 607
19. Texas St. 590
20. Eastern Washington 563
21. Elon 328
22. Youngstown St. 314
23. Illinois St. 290
24. Central Arkansas 218
25. Liberty 175
Others receiving votes (minimum of 5 votes): Univ. South Dakota (30), Western Illinois (27), Northern Arizona (23), Chattanooga (22), Southeast Missouri St. (21), Southern Illinois (18), Pennsylvania (16), Robert Morris (15), McNeese St. (14), Brown (11), Weber St. (11), Wofford (9), Georgetown (6), Sacramento St. (5), South Dakota St. (5), Missouri St. (4), Alcorn St. (3), Duquesne (3), Grambling St. (3), Harvard (3), Coastal Carolina (2), Jacksonville (2), Southeastern Louisiana (2), Southern Utah (2), Yale (2)

MOST SIGNIFICANT WIN OF THE WEEK: Delaware
MOST SIGNIFICANT LOSS OF THE WEEK: Elon, Richmond

GaSouthern
September 27th, 2010, 12:25 PM
Looks good to me!

ToTheLeft
September 27th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Any Given Saturday Poll Top 25

(First place votes in parenthesis), Points
1. Villanova (38) 1805
2. James Madison (20) 1745
3. Appalachian St. (13) 1721
4. Jacksonville St. (3) 1585
5. Delaware (1) 1575
6. Stephen F. Austin 1419
7. Massachusetts 1417
8. William & Mary 1206
9. South Carolina St. 1140
10. Montana St. 1104
11. North Dakota St. 970
12. Richmond 823
13. Furman 782
14. Cal Poly 720
15. New Hampshire 698
16. Northern Iowa 625
17. Georgia Southern 617
18. Montana 607
19. Texas St. 590
21. Elon 328
22. Youngstown St. 314
23. Illinois St. 290
24. Central Arkansas 218
25. Liberty 175
Others receiving votes (minimum of 5 votes): Univ. South Dakota (30), Western Illinois (27), Northern Arizona (23), Chattanooga (22), Southeast Missouri St. (21), Southern Illinois (18), Pennsylvania (16), Robert Morris (15), McNeese St. (14), Brown (11), Weber St. (11), Wofford (9), Georgetown (6), Sacramento St. (5), South Dakota St. (5), Missouri St. (4), Alcorn St. (3), Duquesne (3), Grambling St. (3), Harvard (3), Coastal Carolina (2), Jacksonville (2), Southeastern Louisiana (2), Southern Utah (2), Yale (2)

xthumbsdownx xthumbsdownx xthumbsdownx

soccerguy315
September 27th, 2010, 12:27 PM
others receiving votes says minimum of 5, but looks like you put them all on there.

TXST TLG8
September 27th, 2010, 12:31 PM
Just a quick reminder to all of you voters.... Texas State BEAT Cal Poly....

UNH Fanboi
September 27th, 2010, 12:35 PM
Looks pretty good. The most glaring errors to me are:

Elon at 21 - I'm okay with carrying over last year's accomplishments for the first couple of weeks, but it's been 4 weeks and Elon still does not have a Div 1 win. Time to drop them from the polls.

Cal Poly 14, Texas State 19 - Texas State has a H2H win and is still undefeated in FCS play. I don't see why Poly should be ranked over them.

Jacked_Rabbit
September 27th, 2010, 12:36 PM
I think UNI and NDSU need to be flipped flopped...

El Gato
September 27th, 2010, 12:42 PM
I'm actually ok with this. Cal Poly did beat the No. 1 tanked Montana at the time. Granted Montana may not be as strong as predicted, but they are still in the top 10. Now, if CP drops a game and Texas State continues to win, then these things should settle in.

cpalum
September 27th, 2010, 12:46 PM

....yep I agree ...I think Texas State should be higher, I also think that EWU should be over Montana

Eaglegus2
September 27th, 2010, 12:46 PM
I think that Georgia Southern is ranked to high.........maybe a 23 is best.

DOME
September 27th, 2010, 12:49 PM
Who is still voting for 0-3 S Dakota St?

SM_Bobcat
September 27th, 2010, 01:00 PM
How does Cal Poly not only jump Texas State after both schools win their games? But jump 11 spots in the poll by beating a struggling McNeese State team. While Texas State only moves up 3 spots? How does Georgia Southern jump Texas State in the rankings by beating a now 1-3 Elon team?

Lehigh Football Nation
September 27th, 2010, 01:02 PM
At least SIU dropped out of the AGS poll. Apparently, the Sports Network voters didn't get the memo that the Salukis stink so far.

ElonPride
September 27th, 2010, 01:15 PM
How in the heck are we ranked?

Squealofthepig
September 27th, 2010, 01:26 PM

We know. At home, by nine. Cal Poly has a decent win vs. Montana at home, as well. Texas State has a good win over Cal Poly, but hasn't gone on the road and smacked a team like McNeese like the Mustangs did last week. There's a lot of uncertainty in voting currently, and any team that goes out and wins on the road is going to impress the voters. It's still early, though, and you'll have a chance to travel to Louisiana and beat the Cowboys by more than 24 later this season! :)

TXST TLG8
September 27th, 2010, 01:31 PM
We know. At home, by nine. Cal Poly has a decent win vs. Montana at home, as well. Texas State has a good win over Cal Poly, but hasn't gone on the road and smacked a team like McNeese like the Mustangs did last week. There's a lot of uncertainty in voting currently, and any team that goes out and wins on the road is going to impress the voters. It's still early, though, and you'll have a chance to travel to Louisiana and beat the Cowboys by more than 24 later this season! :)

Just a quick reminder to all of you voters.... McNeese and Montana are just average this year....

I'm stealing this from MaximumBobcat at Bobcatfans.com

Cal Poly's wins are not more impressive than TXST's....

Montana = Calpoly
Mcneese = SUU
Humboldt State = SAU

And we beat them head to head.

It's just a matter of the pollsters being a little blind to what McNeese and Montana are working with this year...they aren't the same old griz and pokes.

Fear the Bird
September 27th, 2010, 01:48 PM
Woo-hoo I think I am finally starting to get the hang of this voting thing! My poll is fairly close to the consensus this week and even goes along with some of the general complaints

Good work pollsters

cpalum
September 27th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Just a quick reminder to all of you voters.... McNeese and Montana are just average this year....

Montana = Calpoly
Mcneese = SUU
Humboldt State = SAU

It's just a matter of the pollsters being a little blind to what McNeese and Montana are working with this year...they aren't the same old griz and pokes.

Well although I agree that Montana and McNeese are having off years I would still say those are very quality wins. Playing the way Poly did on the road at Mcneese was impressive. I would also add that Cal Poly played our 2nd string QB (Broadous) at McNeese and it made a huge difference. Our 3rd string played in the Texas State game...granted that same 3rd stringer was the hero of the Montana game. They are also on the mother of road trips right now with Fresno State up next. If they can come out with no more than 2-3 loses after this run they deserve to be right where they are or higher.

Having said that, I think that Texas State is underrated at this point. Right now I think they are a top 12 team but let’s see if the road is kind to them in the next few weeks.

caribbeanhen
September 27th, 2010, 01:53 PM
at least Del St did not get any votes (unlike the other poll)

Gil Dobie
September 27th, 2010, 02:12 PM

I moved NDSU ahead due to 1 loss vs 2 losses, and NDSU (3-1) has improved since the game with UNI (1-2) with a different QB and more offense.

Squealofthepig
September 27th, 2010, 02:23 PM

Montana = Calpoly
Mcneese = SUU
Humboldt State = SAU

I don't disagree with you; just trying to point out that intelligent minds can differ. At the end of the day, you can't also say you would definitely have beaten Cal Poly at Cal Poly by nine. A home field DOES convey an advantage, and playing in front of 12000 fans at home is different from playing in front of 9000 hostile fans at Cal Poly. Should Texas State be ranked ahead of Cal Poly? Well, voters have to be a bit subjective here, because if you have to put teams ahead of teams they beat head to head, you quickly run into paper/rock/scissors where team A beats team B beats team C beats team A.

Ultimately, the Bobcats are in a good position to only improve on their ranking, and should be 6-1 before your first major road test at SFA, and needing only two wins in the last four games to be playoff eligible. Keep winning and attrition will have you steadily rise.

Walkon79
September 27th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Granted Montana may not be as strong as predicted, but they are still in the top 10.

Correction, Montana State is in the top ten.

Syntax Error
September 27th, 2010, 02:33 PM
still the best poll in FCS

SM_Bobcat
September 27th, 2010, 02:34 PM
I don't disagree with you; just trying to point out that intelligent minds can differ. At the end of the day, you can't also say you would definitely have beaten Cal Poly at Cal Poly by nine. A home field DOES convey an advantage, and playing in front of 12000 fans at home is different from playing in front of 9000 hostile fans at Cal Poly. Should Texas State be ranked ahead of Cal Poly? Well, voters have to be a bit subjective here, because if you have to put teams ahead of teams they beat head to head, you quickly run into paper/rock/scissors where team A beats team B beats team C beats team A.

Ultimately, the Bobcats are in a good position to only improve on their ranking, and should be 6-1 before your first major road test at SFA, and needing only two wins in the last four games to be playoff eligible. Keep winning and attrition will have you steadily rise.

I don't have an issue with Cal Poly being ranked ahead of Texas State. But, what I do have an issue with, and would like an explanation for is how Cal Poly jumps from #25 to #14 by beating McNeese State (who's lone victory now was against Lamar who was absolutely destroyed by SFA), and Georgia Southern jumps up from #26 to #17 by beating Elon. Where both schools where behind Texas State in last weeks rankings, and Texas State only moves up 4 spots after beating Southern Utah who out played and barely lost to TWO FBS schools?

URMite
September 27th, 2010, 02:36 PM
Ok, so how many teams in the top 25 want to say their team is ranked too high? It seems like most...and it seems like quite a few teams have some warts right now.

If that continues, it could make for an interesting playoff.

biggie
September 27th, 2010, 02:39 PM
Ok, so how many teams in the top 25 want to say their team is ranked too high? It seems like most...and it seems like quite a few teams have some warts right now.

App may be too high, as well as others that we just don't know everything about yet.

But by the end of the year most things usually work out.

MaximumBobcat
September 27th, 2010, 02:40 PM
I don't have an issue with Cal Poly being ranked ahead of Texas State. But, what I do have an issue with, and would like an explanation for is how Cal Poly jumps from #25 to #14 by beating McNeese State (who's lone victory now was against Lamar who was absolutely destroyed by SFA), and Georgia Southern jumps up from #26 to #17 by beating Elon. Where both schools where behind Texas State in last weeks rankings, and Texas State only moves up 4 spots after beating Southern Utah who out played and barely lost to TWO FBS schools?

There's a lot of SOCON voters and Montana voters in the poll. Montana voters are likely to place CP higher than usual. SOCON voters vote up GaSo. And most voters in general view McNeese as a good team, even though this year they are very mediocre.

That about sums it up.

Saint3333
September 27th, 2010, 03:10 PM
There's a lot of SOCON voters and Montana voters in the poll. Montana voters are likely to place CP higher than usual. SOCON voters vote up GaSo. And most voters in general view McNeese as a good team, even though this year they are very mediocre.

That about sums it up.

It would be interesting to get a breakdown by conference of voters. I'd add the CAA to that list as well. W&M and UR are both overrated.

RabidRabbit
September 27th, 2010, 03:17 PM
It would be interesting to get a breakdown by conference of voters. I'd add the CAA to that list as well. W&M and UR are both overrated.

UR lost to what IMHO will turn out to be a top Del team + UVA, and beat a reasonably good Elon team. W&M, lost to UMass. At least two, if not three of the currently ranked CAA teams won't be in the play-offs. IMHO, UNH, W&M may be the two.

Aho_Old_Guy
September 27th, 2010, 03:24 PM
I think the poll looks great -- an excellent snapshot of the season thus far, with a view toward how the playoffs will shake out after the intra-conference wars.

And I don't believe how the Elon Phans are sand-bagging xlolx You've had two tough road games. Suck it up, Boys. Dang sure coulda beat da Spidahs and had to turn around and travel to Paulson (xbangx) -- anybody's worst nightmare. You are deservedly ranked just outside the top 20 and I suspect you could take down more than half the folks in front of you on any given Saturday. Just don't do it in Boone xthumbsupx

At this point I think there is too much focus on the H2Hs (though it does tend to show more - just not in the way folks are looking at it). E-Dub beats Montana - throws up a stinker the following week. CP beats Montana - throws up a stinker the following week - and yo-yos back against McNeese.

And thus far, Montana has been great ...

... at beating themselves xlolx

What's the over/under for Montana TOs against Northern Colorado this week? I'll take 5 - LOL - If the Griz ever find that handle look out Big Sky!

Squealofthepig
September 27th, 2010, 03:24 PM
SM_Bobcat, that I can't explain. I had them both move up in my poll this week a similar amount (had Texas State up two, and Cal Poly up two). This may just be statistical noise; I only know how I vote, and agree that that is a curious jump.

Squealofthepig
September 27th, 2010, 03:26 PM

Montana's still too high. They have the potential to be ranked as high as they are, or higher, but both their body of work and their play on the field has me rating them lower than other voters. I still haven't seen any team, other than Jacksonville State, really put together a full game (and JSU's first half in their FBS win wasn't spectacular).

ElonPride
September 27th, 2010, 03:27 PM
And I don't believe how the Elon Phans are sand-bagging xlolx You've had two tough road games. Suck it up, Boys. Dang sure coulda beat da Spidahs and had to turn around and travel to Paulson (xbangx) -- anybody's worst nightmare. You are deservedly ranked just outside the top 20 and I suspect you could take down more than half the folks in front of you on any given Saturday. Just don't do it in Boone xthumbsupx

Kind words from an App fan during a tough stretch for Elon fans. Like I said, this defense has to grow up quickly if we are to defeat any other team this season. We've had three tough road games through the first 4 (Duke, UR & GSU), so maybe we are being a little too hard on the team. The "expectation" to win has been highly inflated the last few years.

cderry
September 27th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Excited to see if WIU can pull off the Dakota double-header over the next two weeks!

Saint3333
September 27th, 2010, 04:15 PM
UR lost to what IMHO will turn out to be a top Del team + UVA, and beat a reasonably good Elon team. W&M, lost to UMass. At least two, if not three of the currently ranked CAA teams won't be in the play-offs. IMHO, UNH, W&M may be the two.

UR may not be overrated that is debatable, however W&M has had two subpar games vs. ODU and Maine.

WrenFGun
September 27th, 2010, 04:25 PM

Agree. UNH is also still too high, IMO. Their body of work (victories over CCSU/Lehigh and a bad, bad loss to URI) is simply not top 15 worthy.

Cocky
September 27th, 2010, 04:43 PM
Montana's still too high. They have the potential to be ranked as high as they are, or higher, but both their body of work and their play on the field has me rating them lower than other voters. I still haven't seen any team, other than Jacksonville State, really put together a full game (and JSU's first half in their FBS win wasn't spectacular).

I'm not sure how good or bad we are? We are just good enough to win right now. JSU does have good talent but the coaching is suspect at best.

ZableNoise
September 27th, 2010, 04:53 PM
William and Mary is rated too high for what they've accomplished this year. But the Tribe has found a way to hang in there even when they've been outplayed this year. W&M was outplayed for most of the UMass, ODU, and UMaine games (there were even parts of the VMI game that concerned me) but still found a way to win two of those games and lost the other by only 4 points. Any team that has to deal with major losses to graduation, early season injuries, and inexplicable special team gaffes but can still keep games close is going to be dangerous. Jimmye Laycock has done a fantastic job (as always) keeping the Tribe in games this year. W&M usually plays to their opponent and it will be interesting to see how they "play up" against Villanova this weekend, especially with Paulus at the helm...

Keenan
September 27th, 2010, 04:57 PM
How in the heck are we ranked?

Great question! I know Elon was not in my Top 25. Anyone here who voted for Elon care to explain your rationale behind this?

blueballs
September 27th, 2010, 04:58 PM
Looks like the same idiot virus that befell the sporty network has inflicted this group as well. What's up with all the two loss teams in the top 15 or so?

Who the heck has Montana, New Hampshire, Northern Iowa, etc beat? Oh I know, they did well LAST year! okie dokey smokie... that and pooting in church amount to the same thing: they are fun, they both stink, and they're both wrong!

Good thing there is a playoff so the rectal cranial inversion that passes for this and the other polls don't really determine who gets to drink from the victory cup.

Keenan
September 27th, 2010, 04:58 PM
Who is still voting for 0-3 S Dakota St?

Another great question. And again, would love for someone to step up and say they put SDSU in the Top 25 and explain why.

Keenan
September 27th, 2010, 05:01 PM
I have had JMU #1 for three consecutive weeks now. Would JMU not jump over Villanova overall with a win against Delaware this Saturday? I have to believe the JMU vs. Delaware contest may be the game of the year when all is said and done.

MSUBear42
September 27th, 2010, 06:17 PM

I think Illinois State and NDSU need to be flip flopped.

Twentysix
September 27th, 2010, 06:23 PM

Hater.

MSUBear42
September 27th, 2010, 06:32 PM
Hater.

It is what it is ;)

Twentysix
September 27th, 2010, 06:34 PM
It is what it is ;)

Your teams gonna lose. :p

bjtheflamesfan
September 27th, 2010, 06:44 PM
I havent been able to vote the last two weeks because I was sick and then this past weekend I went to the emergency room so Im a bit out of the loop as to the goings on

Squealofthepig
September 27th, 2010, 06:45 PM
I have had JMU #1 for three consecutive weeks now. Would JMU not jump over Villanova overall with a win against Delaware this Saturday? I have to believe the JMU vs. Delaware contest may be the game of the year when all is said and done.

Maybe. Let's look at the coming weekend:

1) Villanova, at the Tribe
2) JMU, vs. Delaware
3) Appalachian State, vs Elon
4) Jacksonville State, vs. EIU
5) Delaware, at JMU
6) Stephen F. Austin, at McNeese

There are several scenarios coming out of that. If both Nova and JMU win, I think Nova probably holds on, as a road win with a depleted squad at W&M is at least on par with a home win vs. Delaware. Yes, Delaware is ranked higher, but many voters are waiting to see if Nova will stop playing down to their competition. If one loses and the other wins, I think the winner will be #1 unless one of the other teams posts an incredible win.

However, a convincing win by the Dukes coupled with a so-so performance by Nova could also give JMU the top spot on many voters' polls. Hard to guess what the group will do, though; heck, I can't get more than three people to agree on pizza toppings. :)

MSUBear42
September 27th, 2010, 06:48 PM
Your teams gonna lose. :p

To who? YSU this week? Or you guys the last week of the season?

Mountaineer
September 27th, 2010, 06:50 PM

App has a bye this coming weekend. :p Elon is playing at Samford.

I think the winner of the JMU/Delaware game will have a substantial claim on the #1 spot (deservedly so, IMO).

BlueHenSinfonian
September 27th, 2010, 07:15 PM

1) Villanova, at the Tribe
2) JMU, vs. Delaware
5) Delaware, at JMU
6) Stephen F. Austin, at McNeese

There are several scenarios coming out of that. If both Nova and JMU win, I think Nova probably holds on, as a road win with a depleted squad at W&M is at least on par with a home win vs. Delaware. Yes, Delaware is ranked higher, but many voters are waiting to see if Nova will stop playing down to their competition. If one loses and the other wins, I think the winner will be #1 unless one of the other teams posts an incredible win.

However, a convincing win by the Dukes coupled with a so-so performance by Nova could also give JMU the top spot on many voters' polls. Hard to guess what the group will do, though; heck, I can't get more than three people to agree on pizza toppings. :)

I'd say -

Scenario 1 - Delaware wins, 'Nova wins - 'Nova stays #1, Delaware at #2

Scenario 2 - Delaware wins, 'Nova loses - Delaware takes #1, JMU and 'Nova stay in the top 10, who the hell knows who takes #2 and #3 (well, probably App State, UMAss, or that overhyped team out of Texas)

Scenario 3 - Dealware loses, 'Nova wins - JMU #1, 'Nova falls to #2

Scenario 4 - Delaware loses, 'Nova loses - JMU takes #1 and Delaware and 'Nova both fall under ASU, UMass, and some others.

jmufan999
September 27th, 2010, 07:16 PM
There are several scenarios coming out of that. If both Nova and JMU win, I think Nova probably holds on, as a road win with a depleted squad at W&M is at least on par with a home win vs. Delaware.

i have news for you, Nova is absolutely going to CRUSH W&M. i hate saying that, i like W&M... but there is no chance, zip, zilch, zero that they win that game. i'll come back here and eat crow if i'm wrong (although i might have to start a new thread because i won't remember where i posted this). szczur or not, Nova is going to kill W&M. and yes, i know about Nova's injured LB also... there probably isn't a fully healthy football team anywhere in the country. Nova wins that game and it wins BIG. i would call 14+ big.

BlueHenSinfonian
September 27th, 2010, 07:17 PM
i have news for you, Nova is absolutely going to CRUSH W&M. i hate saying that, i like W&M... but there is no chance, zip, zilch, zero that they win that game. i'll come back here and eat crow if i'm wrong (although i might have to start a new thread because i won't remember where i posted this). szczur or not, Nova is going to kill W&M.

Penn kept it pretty close till the end, do you think Penn is better than W&M this year?

jmufan999
September 27th, 2010, 07:22 PM
let me clarify that. i'll eat crow if Nova loses. if they win by 7, i'm not coming back here because who knows what kind of game they may have played... but i'm 90% confident Nova will win the game and i'm 65% confident it will be by 14+ points.

jmufan999
September 27th, 2010, 07:26 PM
Penn kept it pretty close till the end, do you think Penn is better than W&M this year?

who knows? they'll never play this year and we never see the ivies in the playoffs, so who really knows what they can do? i never thought wofford or montana could win in h'burg but wofford nearly did it and montana did. anything can happen in a game... but W&M struggling with ODU was telling. Nova is very experienced and far, far, far better on defense.

BlueHenSinfonian
September 27th, 2010, 07:36 PM
who knows? they'll never play this year and we never see the ivies in the playoffs, so who really knows what they can do? i never thought wofford or montana could win in h'burg but wofford nearly did it and montana did. anything can happen in a game... but W&M struggling with ODU was telling. Nova is very experienced and far, far, far better on defense.

I'm still trying to decide if that game was a result of ODU being good or W&M being bad. W&M did beat Maine this week, which, while not a huge achievement, isn't always a cakewalk either. 'Nova didn't make me excited in my pants when I watched the Penn game, but who knows what a week of practice and focus will lead to. In two weeks we'll have a very solid picture of how the CAA is going to fall out, one way or the other.

jmufan999
September 27th, 2010, 07:42 PM
I'm still trying to decide if that game was a result of ODU being good or W&M being bad. W&M did beat Maine this week, which, while not a huge achievement, isn't always a cakewalk either. 'Nova didn't make me excited in my pants when I watched the Penn game, but who knows what a week of practice and focus will lead to. In two weeks we'll have a very solid picture of how the CAA is going to fall out, one way or the other.

god i love this conference. it would be fun to dominate a conference, i guess... but CAA fans feel like they're on pins and needles for (nearly) every game. it's one of the big reasons i'm not looking forward to going FBS (unless it's to a BCS conference, which it likely won't be... i digress). i think it's this: JMU, UD, Nova, UMass... in whatever order you want. that's the top tier. no idea how it will shake out.

BlueHenSinfonian
September 27th, 2010, 08:06 PM
god i love this conference. it would be fun to dominate a conference, i guess... but CAA fans feel like they're on pins and needles for (nearly) every game. it's one of the big reasons i'm not looking forward to going FBS (unless it's to a BCS conference, which it likely won't be... i digress). i think it's this: JMU, UD, Nova, UMass... in whatever order you want. that's the top tier. no idea how it will shake out.

Is JMU talking about going FBS now too?

Twentysix
September 27th, 2010, 08:46 PM
To who? YSU this week? Or you guys the last week of the season?

I can't give you a heads up on that. But, you will know when the loss strikes, and then your eye will twinkle and you will think "Man that twentysix guy really got me good."

bisonnation
September 27th, 2010, 09:06 PM

NDSU needs to be higher because of defense. Illinois State is allowing 35-50 points per game including a 54 point showing to a D2 team. NDSU is allowing 11 points per game, including better competition such as Kansas, Northern Iowa, and South Dakota. NDSU's Sarragin rating is through the much higher.

At this point in time here is what we know. Illinois State's defense is really poor and isn't showing signs of improvement. They have a good offense. NDSU has a tremendous defense and an offense that is improving dramatically with a new QB.

NDSU has more D1 wins.

Although I do agree that ISU is a good team. Let's see how they look after a few weeks.

GeauxLions94
September 27th, 2010, 09:12 PM
Any Given Saturday Poll Top 25

(First place votes in parenthesis), Points
1. Villanova (38) 1805
2. James Madison (20) 1745
3. Appalachian St. (13) 1721
4. Jacksonville St. (3) 1585
5. Delaware (1) 1575
6. Stephen F. Austin 1419
7. Massachusetts 1417
8. William & Mary 1206
9. South Carolina St. 1140
10. Montana St. 1104
11. North Dakota St. 970
12. Richmond 823
13. Furman 782
14. Cal Poly 720
15. New Hampshire 698
16. Northern Iowa 625
17. Georgia Southern 617
18. Montana 607
19. Texas St. 590
21. Elon 328
22. Youngstown St. 314
23. Illinois St. 290
24. Central Arkansas 218
25. Liberty 175

Hey, we got two votes! Thanks whoever you are.

The Lamar loss was bad, but if we make a field goal late we're up nine with 6 minutes left ... trailed ULM, 14-7, at halftime before scoring two touchdowns, but missed an extra point and a 34-yard field goal that could have made the difference in a 21-20 loss.

Couple all that with a 6-point loss at Tulane and we could be the best 1-3 FCS team in the country. Hope we can move back up in the polls when we start Southland Conference play against Texas State on Oct. 9.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 27th, 2010, 09:21 PM
Pretty good looking poll fellers.xnodx

El Gato
September 27th, 2010, 09:48 PM
Hey, we got two votes! Thanks whoever you are.

Wonder if TT was one of those?

Couple all that with a 6-point loss at Tulane and we could be the best 1-3 FCS team in the country. Hope we can move back up in the polls when we start Southland Conference play against Texas State on Oct. 9.

Not me. Hope a road win over you guys helps to solve the poll debate, and I mean that in a positive way for the Bobcats. I hope our team doesn't look past the Lions because of that Lamar loss, because I agree that I still think SLU is a formidable foe, especially if Beatty is back. After that humiliating defeat last year though I doubt the Cats look past you guys.

El Gato
September 27th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Correction, Montana State is in the top ten.

my bad.

tribe_pride
September 27th, 2010, 10:50 PM

Not that I am necessarily disagreeing with you but it'll be interesting to see how the W&M offense will be this week. Paulus is starting instead of Callahan (injury). Paulus came in for 2 series against Maine and led the Tribe to TDs on each drive. Callahan played ok when in but Paulus showed something special in his time.

Tribe D needs to shore up if it wants to beat Nova. Could be a shootout this weekend in Williamsburg.

soccerguy315
September 27th, 2010, 11:12 PM
W&M might also be without RB Grimes... we are pretty deep at RB, but Grimes is a playmaker. Defense will need to step it up a notch and get some key stops if W&M is going to be in this game. If W&M loses, that will be the 2nd conference loss, still with games against Delaware, Richmond, and @UNH and @JMU (and @North Carolina) to go.

Twentysix
September 27th, 2010, 11:40 PM
NDSU needs to be higher because of defense. Illinois State is allowing 35-50 points per game including a 54 point showing to a D2 team. NDSU is allowing 11 points per game, including better competition such as Kansas, Northern Iowa, and South Dakota. NDSU's Sarragin rating is through the much higher.

At this point in time here is what we know. Illinois State's defense is really poor and isn't showing signs of improvement. They have a good offense. NDSU has a tremendous defense and an offense that is improving dramatically with a new QB.

NDSU has more D1 wins.

Although I do agree that ISU is a good team. Let's see how they look after a few weeks.

Hes just scared that sanford is paving the road to the MVC with gold. Oh yes, 10 million dollar donation, it has been a righteous day. (This donation has nothing to do with football but thats besides the point!)

JMUNJ08
September 28th, 2010, 09:10 AM
W&M might also be without RB Grimes... we are pretty deep at RB, but Grimes is a playmaker. Defense will need to step it up a notch and get some key stops if W&M is going to be in this game. If W&M loses, that will be the 2nd conference loss, still with games against Delaware, Richmond, and @UNH and @JMU (and @North Carolina) to go.

A loss at home to Nova may put the fork in them just when the calendar turns to October....

A loss to just UNC would be their 3rd and they'd have to go at least 3-1 vs. the other 4 you mention to get to 7-4. Thankfully, we at least got our FBS team out of the way otherwise our schedule doesn't look much different...

Gil Dobie
September 28th, 2010, 09:32 AM

This question will be decided on the field during the season.

Walkon79
September 28th, 2010, 11:15 AM
my bad.

Not a problem. It's strange to us as well being ranked above the Griz.

tribefan40
September 28th, 2010, 11:50 AM
William and Mary is rated too high for what they've accomplished this year. But the Tribe has found a way to hang in there even when they've been outplayed this year. W&M was outplayed for most of the UMass, ODU, and UMaine games (there were even parts of the VMI game that concerned me) but still found a way to win two of those games and lost the other by only 4 points. Any team that has to deal with major losses to graduation, early season injuries, and inexplicable special team gaffes but can still keep games close is going to be dangerous. Jimmye Laycock has done a fantastic job (as always) keeping the Tribe in games this year. W&M usually plays to their opponent and it will be interesting to see how they "play up" against Villanova this weekend, especially with Paulus at the helm...

+1

Paulus is the wildcard in all of this. Our defense has been good enough to bend and not break for the most part this year, and our offense looked unstoppable when Paulus came in, even without Grimes. Villanova is certainly the best team we will have played to this point (possibly minus UMass) and will no doubt expose us for who we are. I think the game will go something like the last two weeks in that we will go down early and rally, hopefully for a win. xprayx

JaxSinfonian
September 28th, 2010, 08:42 PM
Let's look at the coming weekend:

That game was played Saturday. Jax State won 28-23 on the road. The Gamecocks host Murray State this weekend.

theasushow
September 28th, 2010, 10:03 PM
I think the reason for all the discrepancies in the ranking in teams like Montana and Elon lies on the specific voter. I think some voters take last weeks poll, look at this weeks results and then move teams up and down accordingly within the poll, which would account for Elon and Montana still being "over ranked". Even after a real bad loss they wont drop a team more than 10 spots or so. Then other voters don't take as much stock in the previous polls and say "wow, Jacksonville State beat Ole Miss so they have to be top 3" or "Georgia Southern beat Elon soundly on national TV and looked good doing it, so they have to be about the 18th best team in the country." These type voters have no problem dropping a team from 10th-out of the poll with a bad loss or voting a team into the poll at 18th after a strong win. This is all just my opinion of course.

theasushow
September 28th, 2010, 10:09 PM
I would also like to say that my theory above doesnt apply in anyway to FBS. Notice how JMU immediately launched themselves into the top 3 after the VT win, or the way JSU leapfrogged about 20 teams after beating Ole Miss... but had Arkansas beat Alabama I am pretty sure they wouldn't have gone from 15ish into the top 3-4.