PDA

View Full Version : App State vs. Elon

HappyAppy13
September 26th, 2010, 09:45 PM
Do you think this game has lost interest, or won't be as "big of game" as it should due to Elon's 2 losses? I feel as if this game still has a lot riding on it. Elon is a solid team, great QB, and looking to prove it at the Rock, and very well could (they definitely have the potential, not doubting that at all)...and you've got App trying to stay undefeated in the SoCon, and prove the Defense (especially the Corners and Safties) can stop a very good passing game.

2 weeks is a lot of time for both teams to prepare for this game...could be an epic clash come October 9th at 3pm!

views? opinions?

B&G
September 26th, 2010, 10:04 PM
Has the game lost some lustre? Certainly it has lost a bit because this is no longer a battle of two Top 10 teams. But believe me, this is a HUGE game. Elon is fighting for their playoff lives. ASU has had a number of problems with blown coverages and made BJ Coleman look like Drew Brees. You think that might be a problem with Riddle coming into town? Plus this rivalry is quickly becoming a blood feud. Let's face it, ASU hasn't really beaten anyone this season with all due respect to Chattanooga who just isn't there yet. Elon is their stiffest test to date.

AtlantaMountaineer
September 27th, 2010, 05:10 AM
Elon has a little business to deal with Sammie before they can think about App.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
September 27th, 2010, 07:02 AM
Elon was a team that showed some level of promise at the start of the season when they played Dook. They played valiantly at Richmond before losing and now they lose to GSU on the road. They got Samford this week, a game I believe they will win. They lose to Samford, it's over for them.

elon77
September 27th, 2010, 07:15 AM
I would think they would be underdog's against Sammy.

AppStsGr8
September 27th, 2010, 07:30 AM
The App-Elon game may be just as big as anticipated in the pre-season if Elon gets the win at Samford. App has to win to keep GaSo and Furman at bay. Elon could be playing the role of spoiler if their playoff hopes are gone before 10/9. The Elon teams I've seen in the last few years would love to spoil anything for App. I'm glad App will get the win versus Bye this week :) and will have two weeks to get ready for Elon.

PaladinFan
September 27th, 2010, 07:50 AM
Well, two things are going to happen. One, Elon is going to get blown out and basically just lay an egg on their season. Two, Elon and App will get into a shoot out.

I still think Elon has a good offense. App's defense is not as good as Georgia Southern's. I think the Phoenix can score. The question is whether they have any fight in them.

biggie
September 27th, 2010, 08:00 AM
Given its homecoming, it'll still be a big show. Rumored they will cut off the grass ticket sales pretty soon, first time that's happened since the Woof Halloween game, so could be close to 31k there.

Agreed that both Elon should beat Samford and if somehow Samford beats Elon then the season is about over for them.

ElonPride
September 27th, 2010, 08:03 AM
A little early to be starting this thread don't you think?

Elon's got to take care of business this weekend. The offense still has a lot of fire, but as I stated after the Duke game, this D MUST mature quickly to have a shot at winning any game this season.

biggie
September 27th, 2010, 08:10 AM
We got nothing to do for a week.

elon77
September 27th, 2010, 08:14 AM
Isn't it kind of strange how the schedule worked out for Elon this year. Richmond had a bye week before playing the Phoenix and so does ASU. Any thoughts?

ElonPride
September 27th, 2010, 08:19 AM
We got nothing to do for a week.

Oh yeah, bye week! Have at it!

asu3peat
September 27th, 2010, 08:34 AM
Isn't it kind of strange how the schedule worked out for Elon this year. Richmond had a bye week before playing the Phoenix and so does ASU. Any thoughts?

Welcome to our world. Without looking up the schedules, it seems over the past 4 or 5 seasons the conference has allowed every team to have a bye week before playing App. Not to mention the annual 3 week gauntlet of Furman, GSU and Wofford ASU faces every year.

As for keys to the game...

For ASU:
-shut the Elon run game down
-pressure Riddle (sacks, QB hurries, batted balls, messing up timing...)
-OL give DP enough time to go through progressions
-no lapses on special teams

For Elon:
-contain the ASU backfield
-ball control (limit turnovers and win T.O.P.)
-play disciplined
-get the ball to #3

ElonPride
September 27th, 2010, 08:56 AM
As for keys to the game...

For ASU:
-shut the Elon run game down
-pressure Riddle (sacks, QB hurries, batted balls, messing up timing...)
-OL give DP enough time to go through progressions
-no lapses on special teams

For Elon:
-contain the ASU backfield
-ball control (limit turnovers and win T.O.P.)
-play disciplined -get the ball to #3

The bolded portion above may have cost us the game at UR. Silly, silly penalties at the end of the game......

PaladinFan
September 27th, 2010, 09:45 AM
Furman used to schedule their bye week right before playing GSU to work two weeks on the option. Usually, the Wofford game came right after it, so it was nice to focus solely on the option.

This season is different with the week one bye. However, Furman faces four teams this year that run the option oriented offense! That's over a quarter of the schedule. By the time GSU comes to Greenville Furman will have faced the offense three times (Citadel, Wofford, and Howard). Who needs the bye week?

Smitty
September 27th, 2010, 09:49 AM
Ugh WCU is in a 8 game stretch before our bye week. It will be after the ASU game when we have our bye.

OL FU
September 27th, 2010, 10:42 AM
Ugh WCU is in a 8 game stretch before our bye week. It will be after the ASU game when we have our bye.

You know things aren't going well when you are looking forward to playing Bye

asu3peat
September 27th, 2010, 11:10 AM
The bolded portion above may have cost us the game at UR. Silly, silly penalties at the end of the game......

Penalties can hurt any team, by either killing drives or keeping an opposing team's drives alive. Not only is it important to play disciplined in regards to penalties but also in your assignments and not giving up on plays. With ASU's ability to throw multiple weapons at any given team (aka pick your poison), the defense cannot be caught out of position or they will pay the price. The young Phoenix secondary needs to improve over the next couple of weeks. Samford is good team to do that against as their offense leads the FCS with 12 INT's. There's nothing like a good confidence builder for young guys then to get a couple of picks.

Smitty
September 27th, 2010, 12:18 PM
You know things aren't going well when you are looking forward to playing Bye

Nah it would just be nice to have a bye week in between to rest up and prepare yourself for the last part of the season.

HappyAppy13
September 27th, 2010, 05:53 PM
I think this is probably the best time in the schedule for App to have their Bye, either here or after the Furman game ( Ga S, Wofford, and Fla to finish the season)

Saint3333
September 27th, 2010, 06:00 PM
I would rather have the bye before GSU and Wofford to practice against the triple option.

seantaylor
September 28th, 2010, 01:31 AM
Furman used to schedule their bye week right before playing GSU to work two weeks on the option. Usually, the Wofford game came right after it, so it was nice to focus solely on the option.

This season is different with the week one bye. However, Furman faces four teams this year that run the option oriented offense! That's over a quarter of the schedule. By the time GSU comes to Greenville Furman will have faced the offense three times (Citadel, Wofford, and Howard). Who needs the bye week?

GSU is getting better exponientally by the week. I would not want to play us in the late season.

PaladinFan
September 28th, 2010, 06:49 AM
GSU is getting better exponientally by the week. I would not want to play us in the late season.

Eh, when we play the Eagles makes no real difference to me. Furman is facing the offense four times this season. Sure, the Eagles may have better personnel or a better quarterback, but that doesn't change the gameplan. Bobby Lamb defenses have, generally, played very well against option offenses.

I'm expecting this year's game to be the best we've seen since 2005. The Eagles, even at their best, have struggled to win in Greenville. The way the two teams are going right now, that game could have big time playoff implications. However, let's not put the cart before the horse...

GaSouthern
September 28th, 2010, 08:20 AM
We also should be the best we have been since 2005, I hope we all can keep it up and get 3 bids for the SoCon this postseason.

T-Dog
September 28th, 2010, 09:12 AM
If the SoCon doesn't get three bids in a 20-team field, that would be a failure.

biggie
September 28th, 2010, 09:39 AM
If the SoCon doesn't get three bids in a 20-team field, that would be a failure.
It is possible not to. Look at the polls, it is clear right now that CAA are the darlings, unless some weird things happen.

I'd say the 3 in the SoCon right now (GSU, Furman, App) will be interesting. I think if GSU or Furman get a win against App and also beat the other team, then unless that losing team also beats App then we could only have 2 bids. If App beats both then the loser of the GSU and Furman game still may get 'Woofed'. Time will tell I guess.

PhoenixMan
September 28th, 2010, 10:13 AM
It is possible not to. Look at the polls, it is clear right now that CAA are the darlings, unless some weird things happen.

I'd say the 3 in the SoCon right now (GSU, Furman, App) will be interesting. I think if GSU or Furman get a win against App and also beat the other team, then unless that losing team also beats App then we could only have 2 bids. If App beats both then the loser of the GSU and Furman game still may get 'Woofed'. Time will tell I guess.

One SoCon loss and you are counting out a team that went 7-1 last year and made the playoffs? Good, I like it that way.

SpeedkingATL
September 28th, 2010, 10:19 AM
With App sitting in the top 3 in all polls and undefeated for the Elon game, it will be huge, as will every other game on the schedule up to the trip to Gainesville. Glad we get Elon, Furple, Woffie and Citdogs at The Rock. The game in Statesboro could be huge depending on how the schedule plays out for both teams and there is never an easy game in Statesboro...never! The Sammy vs Elon is almost a playoff elimination game for both IMO although Sammy could lose it then run the table and get in the Dance. The CAA will get a bunch of teams in this year so 3 loses will be the cutoff for SoCon teams even with the expansion to 20.

appfan2008
September 28th, 2010, 10:45 AM
One SoCon loss and you are counting out a team that went 7-1 last year and made the playoffs? Good, I like it that way.

I for one am not counting you out... get to 7-4 and you are probably in...

biggie
September 28th, 2010, 10:54 AM
Not counting Elon out, but currently the 3 main front runners do not contain Elon. 1-3 with no Div 1 wins hurts those chances right now.

Lose to App and the hill to climb is much taller than Grandfather Mtn.

T-Dog
September 28th, 2010, 10:58 AM

You have to run the table to make the playoffs. 7-4 won't get you in due to having only 6 DI wins and I seriously doubt you'll get an autobid at 6-2 in conference.

Oh something will happen. They'll play each other and teams will lose. 4 spots in not a guarantee this year with 10 teams and almost everyone playing each other.

PhoenixSupreme
September 28th, 2010, 11:04 AM
You have to run the table to make the playoffs. 7-4 won't get you in due to having only 6 DI wins and I seriously doubt you'll get an autobid at 6-2 in conference.

Sad but true. Definitely should not scheduled a D-II team and an FBS team (albeit one that we may have had a chance to beat before the fact) in the same season. You never give up until it's over, but our playoff chances are looking grim at best. Hopefully the win against Sammy this weekend will be a momentum springboard we ride the rest of the way.

SoCon48
September 28th, 2010, 12:53 PM

It is for Elon but not App. It's ASU's next game.

HappyAppy13
October 4th, 2010, 09:17 AM

Elon's got to take care of business this weekend. The offense still has a lot of fire, but as I stated after the Duke game, this D MUST mature quickly to have a shot at winning any game this season.

Nice job taking care of business this past weekend.
now we can talk this game!!
Elon has to be on a confidence shift coming into the Rock, eh?

SideLine Shooter
October 4th, 2010, 09:29 AM
Extended weather forcast looks great. Could be a record crowd with a very important SoCon matchup for both teams. The "Good Guys" {Mountaineers} by 9.

HappyAppy13
October 4th, 2010, 09:33 AM
Extended weather forcast looks great. Could be a record crowd with a very important SoCon matchup for both teams. The "Good Guys" {Mountaineers} by 9.

All sunshine...High 63, Lo 41 with winds out of the WSW @ 7mph.....B-E-A-UTIFUL day at The Rock!
Definitely looking for a record crowd!!

biggie
October 4th, 2010, 09:38 AM
Looking forward to heading up Friday and whole weekend in a cabin with 10 friends and 35-40 for tailgating. Good timing for fall temps.

Aho_Old_Guy
October 4th, 2010, 11:30 AM
I went out to eat last night and the strangest thing happened. Our waitress said she'd been married 3 times and was still a virgin.

I asked her about her first husband. She said he was a psychologist, and all he wanted to do was talk about it. Her second husband was an OB/GYN, and all he wanted to do was look at it. And her third husband was an Elon graduate, and all he could say was ...

"" Wait until next year ... ""

SouthernMan
October 4th, 2010, 11:49 AM
Never heard that one. Thats funny right there.

BoroNative
October 4th, 2010, 12:10 PM
Go Phoenix!

feb18blacksunday
October 5th, 2010, 09:21 PM
Good one my man. born on a mountaintop....

gsueagle2424
October 6th, 2010, 07:19 AM
Elon football practice was delayed nearly 2 hours this morning after a player found an unknown white powdery substance on the practice field. Coach Lembo immediately suspended practice. Forensic experts determined that the white substance, unknown to the players, was the GOAL LINE. Practice resumed this afternoon after agents decided the team was unlikely to encounter the substance again.

AppTrex77
October 6th, 2010, 10:04 AM
Elon football practice was delayed nearly 2 hours this morning after a player found an unknown white powdery substance on the practice field. Coach Lembo immediately suspended practice. Forensic experts determined that the white substance, unknown to the players, was the GOAL LINE. Practice resumed this afternoon after agents decided the team was unlikely to encounter the substance again.

Now that's funny - - - I don't care who you are!!!!!!!!!!

Aho_Old_Guy
October 6th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Good one my man. born on a mountaintop....

Should be noted that no virgins are likely to be found in Watauga County, much less employed at Pepper's Restaurant xlolx

In the weekly radio address Pete Lembo was kind enough to call Appalachian the 'gold standard' of SoCon football over the last few years, but (you knew that was coming, right?) ...

He also said that playing on the road before 'hostile environments' at Wallace Wade and Paulson prepared them well for traveling to The Rock.

Hey, Pete ...
http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/ww165/Back_at_the_Ranch/Appalachian/The_Rock-01.jpg

You're not at Lehigh anymore, Coach xthumbsupx

fightingphoenix
October 6th, 2010, 02:24 PM
Go Phoenix!

I second that-GO PHOENIX!!!

Eaglesrus
October 6th, 2010, 03:25 PM
He also said that playing on the road before 'hostile environments' at Wallace Wade and Paulson prepared them well for traveling to The Rock.

Hey, Pete ...
http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/ww165/Back_at_the_Ranch/Appalachian/The_Rock-01.jpg

You're not at Lehigh anymore, Coach xthumbsupx

Hmmm, seems vaguely reminiscent of this quote from a couple of weeks ago:

"I think with playing at [Duke], when it pays off is when you go to place like Statesboro and 18 or 19 thousand are yelling and screaming for three hours or so," Lembo said.

Have to give him credit for being consistant.

SpeedkingATL
October 7th, 2010, 08:37 AM
I second that-GO PHOENIX!!!

I've been to Dook for football games and trust me it is nothing like Paulson or Kidd Brewer. If they played football in Cameron it might be a different story.

gophoenix
October 7th, 2010, 08:51 AM
I've been to Dook for football games and trust me it is nothing like Paulson or Kidd Brewer. If they played football in Cameron it might be a different story.

When's the last time you went to a Duke game. The game this year was packed. I hadn't seen a Duke game that packed or loud since the 1993 or 1994 season, whenever that last bowl game was.

ElonPride
October 7th, 2010, 09:00 AM
When's the last time you went to a Duke game. The game this year was packed. I hadn't seen a Duke game that packed or loud since the 1993 or 1994 season, whenever that last bowl game was.

33,000+ at the Elon/Duke game.

PhoenixMan
October 7th, 2010, 09:30 AM

It was a lot of people. Seemed to be a lot of very quiet people to me.

ASUMountaineer
October 7th, 2010, 09:31 AM

That's awesome, a BCS school beat ASU's all-time attendance record by a little more than 2,000. Should be a packed house in Boone. Looking forward to the SoCon battle. BEAT LEON!

elon77
October 7th, 2010, 09:59 AM
That's awesome, a BCS school beat ASU's all-time attendance record by a little more than 2,000. Should be a packed house in Boone. Looking forward to the SoCon battle. BEAT LEON!

Elon doesn't stand a chance for ASU's " when all Hillbillies come home" game on Saturday. Just hope it's within 28 points.
Signed, Leon

PhoenixMan
October 7th, 2010, 10:30 AM
Elon doesn't stand a chance for ASU's " when all Hillbillies come home" game on Saturday. Just hope it's within 28 points.
Signed, Leon

You are right. No chance! 30,000 App fans in one stadium. That should equal about 60,000 teeth, at two teeth per App fan.

Rekdiver
October 7th, 2010, 11:32 AM
Yep and all those teeth are going to sunk in your fat A_ _............... Do you hear banjos yet?....becasue you are going to be violently violated.

Hope you enjoy the fall foliage becasue there is not other reason for you to bother coming up......I am already embarrased for you.....

Signed "Yosef"

SoCon48
October 7th, 2010, 12:18 PM
Bend over it's going to hurt! :)

gophoenix
October 7th, 2010, 01:07 PM
And Saint seemed to say it was Elon that couldn't win or lose with class.

We are all well aware of the anti-Elon App crap. Gift it a rest. We're all saying we're going to lose. And you guys are smacking and running your mouths still. Give it a rest.

Can't you guys at least win with some class?

AppUltimate
October 7th, 2010, 01:27 PM
Bend over it's going to hurt! :)

They might like that too much...

gophoenix
October 7th, 2010, 01:28 PM
They might like that too much...

So the answer is no. Not a chance. the childishness just gets worse.

heath
October 7th, 2010, 02:03 PM

33,941-a sellout for Elon, but had near 39,000 for the Alabama scrimmage. They still don't get loud until basketball season in Durham.

heath
October 7th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Could be a failure then, App St, GSU and who?-It really all depends on how many the CAA gets in, looks like 5 maybe even 6. The 3rd team from SoCon might be one of those bubble teams.

GaSouthern
October 7th, 2010, 02:27 PM
Could be a failure then, App St, GSU and who?-It really all depends on how many the CAA gets in, looks like 5 maybe even 6. The 3rd team from SoCon might be one of those bubble teams.

Wofford might get in as well or flat out replace GSU. I think if CAA gets 6 teams in and the SoCon only gets 2 then there is something wrong (depending on final rankings/schedule results)

SpeedkingATL
October 7th, 2010, 02:33 PM

We are all well aware of the anti-Elon App crap. Gift it a rest. We're all saying we're going to lose. And you guys are smacking and running your mouths still. Give it a rest.

Seems to me there is still a football game to be played. I certainly hope App wins in a blowout but anyone expecting the Elon players to just laydown in this one is crazy and I can't believe that anyone that saw the Richmond and GSU games doesn't think Elon is capable of scoring lots of points. Should App win at home...APPsolutely....is it a given...not a chance. Keep it classy guys and may The Rock rock on Saturday.

Rekdiver
October 7th, 2010, 02:39 PM
There will be so much energy from a record breaking crowd in Kidd-Brewer I believe it will get ugly early. I believe Riddle will get drilled...legally unlike the cut tackles of the Elonese, Elonists, Elonibans....aw heck what ever you call those folks......

GaSouthern
October 7th, 2010, 02:57 PM
There will be so much energy from a record breaking crowd in Kidd-Brewer I believe it will get ugly early. I believe Riddle will get drilled...legally unlike the cut tackles of the Elonese, Elonists, Elonibans....aw heck what ever you call those folks......

Watchout for the Elon cheap shots

T-Dog
October 7th, 2010, 03:03 PM
Last year, Elon had a top defense which help App in the second half to four FG attempts, two of which were made. That saved it from being 49-10.

This year, Elon has a low-ranked defense and too many injuries to their top players not named Riddle and he can only do so much.

This could be a blowout.

jedmis10
October 7th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Yep and all those teeth are going to sunk in your fat A_ _............... Do you hear banjos yet?....becasue you are going to be violently violated.

Hope you enjoy the fall foliage becasue there is not other reason for you to bother coming up......I am already embarrased for you.....

Signed "Yosef"

Yehaww. Deliverance!!!!!!

Saint3333
October 7th, 2010, 03:48 PM
I never like to talk before the game other than analyze the teams on paper, and on paper ASU is probably a couple TD favorite at home. Crazier things have happened at KBS though than Elon walking out of there with a win on Saturday. ASU historically is rusty off a bye week and Elon has been backed into a corner with three losses already. If their players (especially the seniors) won this game it would be the biggest win of their football lives, don't think they aren't pumped for it. Elon is coming to play, ASU has to get to Riddle early and score early or Elon will begin to believe they can and that is a scary place to be from ASU's perspective.

PhoenixMan
October 7th, 2010, 07:01 PM

It's obvious that some of these Appy's are envious for some reason. We haven't beaten App since 1964, so I'm not sure why the jealousy. Elon is such an unworthy team, overrated, etc.....but yet they obsess.

PhoenixMan
October 7th, 2010, 07:06 PM

What a joke. Assuming that App St. and GSU get in. Why, because GSU beat what has been described here as an awful Elon team. To presume that App is in is also ridiculous. Not sure whether you know or not, but App is very lucky to not be 1-1 right now. Also, a reminder that your "guy" is now in Charlotte playing WR, so don't assume anything.

phoenixphanatic21
October 7th, 2010, 07:26 PM
Wofford might get in as well or flat out replace GSU. I think if CAA gets 6 teams in and the SoCon only gets 2 then there is something wrong (depending on final rankings/schedule results)

Seriously wrong. I'll call conspiracy then.

ThompsonThe
October 7th, 2010, 07:42 PM

Signed "Yosef"

Yehaww. Deliverance!!!!!!

Dum-de-dum-dum-dum

JRCA
October 8th, 2010, 12:55 AM
All I can say is good luck Elon. I don't think I can put into words how much I want an Elon victory this Saturday. I think Elon is a big underdog in this game, but that's OK, ASU deserves to be a big. big, favorite because of the great success they have had over the years in football. More than any other thing, I want the Elon team to represent all that is great about Elon University. I, being a son of a working class family from the Appalachian region of the Commonwealth of Va, received a world-class education at Elon (an yes, the tuition was worth every penny). Elon represents all that is great about higher education and I want our team to represent the class and integrity that is Elon University.

On a personal note, final bet with my boss is this: If Elon wins, he wears an Elon shirt all day on Tuesday; if ASU wins, I have to put an ASU bumper sticker on my truck. I love my '79 Jeep a great deal. An ASU sticker on my Jeep, what a tragic day this will be! I really don't get it, my boss is such a good guy, but yet an ASU fan, this his biggest flaw. Really, it is all in great fun. It's what makes college football such fun.

Mntneer
October 8th, 2010, 07:05 AM
All I can say is good luck Elon. I don't think I can put into words how much I want an Elon victory this Saturday. I think Elon is a big underdog in this game, but that's OK, ASU deserves to be a big. big, favorite because of the great success they have had over the years in football. More than any other thing, I want the Elon team to represent all that is great about Elon University. I, being a son of a working class family from the Appalachian region of the Commonwealth of Va, received a world-class education at Elon (an yes, the tuition was worth every penny). Elon represents all that is great about higher education and I want our team to represent the class and integrity that is Elon University.

On a personal note, final bet with my boss is this: If Elon wins, he wears an Elon shirt all day on Tuesday; if ASU wins, I have to put an ASU bumper sticker on my truck. I love my '79 Jeep a great deal. An ASU sticker on my Jeep, what a tragic day this will be! I really don't get it, my boss is such a good guy, but yet an ASU fan, this his biggest flaw. Really, it is all in great fun. It's what makes college football such fun.

Shirt vs a bumper sticker? Doesn't really seem like a fair bet to me ;) As for being an ASU fan, all I can say is that I can't see how anyone could visit ASU and the High Country and NOT come away a fan. The school and the setting together create an atmosphere in which I spent the best years of my life. ASU of course also stacks up very well academically vs other schools and even more so when price is considered.

CrackerRiley
October 8th, 2010, 08:45 AM
29 hours...

Getting pumped.
I vow to not get too drunk at tailgate and be able to get a seat this week.

SpeedkingATL
October 8th, 2010, 09:11 AM
At least you'll be putting that App bumber sticker on a vehicle deserving of it and one that would be at home in Boone!

KiddBrewer
October 8th, 2010, 09:16 AM
29 hours...

Getting pumped.
I vow to not get too drunk at tailgate and be able to get a seat this week.

I've yet to miss a game because of alcohol, or even been so drunk I couldnt fully watch the game.....but combine the amount of time since I've been to Boone (a month), the fact I missed my first home game in 6 years last game, the beautiful weather we're supposed to have, and the week that I've just endured......I'm gonna need somebody to slow me down come tomorrow around noon :)

CrackerRiley
October 8th, 2010, 09:19 AM
I've yet to miss a game because of alcohol, or even been so drunk I couldnt fully watch the game.....but combine the amount of time since I've been to Boone (a month), the fact I missed my first home game in 6 years last game, the beautiful weather we're supposed to have, and the week that I've just endured......I'm gonna need somebody to slow me down come tomorrow around noon :)
I hear ya brother.

I stood at the top of the grass hill for the first time ever at the last game. I will never do that BS again.

Waco Kid
October 8th, 2010, 02:49 PM
33,941-a sellout for Elon, but had near 39,000 for the Alabama scrimmage. They still don't get loud until basketball season in Durham.

Hearing reports of 33k possible for tomorrows game. If so you can bet money that it will be completely different from the 33k in Durham.

Appfan_in_CAAland
October 8th, 2010, 03:27 PM
Hearing reports of 33k possible for tomorrows game. If so you can bet money that it will be completely different from the 33k in Durham.

33k at App would be very different from 33k at Duke. It would also be an great statement after last week's announcement.

MountaineerNation
October 8th, 2010, 03:47 PM
33k at App would be very different from 33k at Duke. It would also be an great statement after last week's announcement.

What was the announcement?

Aho_Old_Guy
October 8th, 2010, 04:17 PM

There will be a **privately funded** study from an undisclosed benefactor concerning a possible move up to FBS.

JRCA
October 9th, 2010, 01:27 AM
At least you'll be putting that App bumber sticker on a vehicle deserving of it and one that would be at home in Boone!

No doubt, my truck is the truck of a son of the Appalachian region. I got it from my daddy full of rust and character. It would be very at home at ASU. matter of fact, I just about bought the same type of truck my first year teaching in Mountain City, so I know Boone well. I know ASU is a fine school and all that stuff. My only issue with ASU was them trying to stop Elon from SoCon membership. I should get over it, I guess. If Elon ever beats ASU, maybe I will. Elon sure took some harsh criticism when they first joined. I will say most ASU fans have be a lot more gracious as Elon started to prove their worth over the past few seasons.

I Just want a good clean game without Elon Personal fouls; oh yeah, a win and I might drive my old jeep down to Boone and ride around; rust, holes, Elon bumper stickers and all. If Elon doesn't win, I may not be able to drive it for a week having that ASU bumper stick on it. ( All in good fun, my friends).

Safe travels all to and from Boone.

elon77
October 9th, 2010, 08:14 AM

That they now have a masters program in out house design.

elon77
October 9th, 2010, 08:16 AM
I'm sorry, I couldn't let that go.

phoenixphanatic21
October 9th, 2010, 09:42 AM
God I can't wait til 3. I'm just upset I won't be able to watch it. Go Phoenix! Time to shock the world.

proasu89
October 9th, 2010, 10:03 AM
I'm sorry, I couldn't let that go.

Well played.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 9th, 2010, 10:52 AM
Could you guys not injure any of App. State's players this year? They need to be 100% for November 6th. xcoolx

mad_dog97
October 9th, 2010, 02:17 PM
This one have streaming video anywhere? Didn't see it on channelsurfing, but would love to check in on it from time to time.

mad_dog97
October 9th, 2010, 02:32 PM
This one have streaming video anywhere? Didn't see it on channelsurfing, but would love to check in on it from time to time.

To answer my own question for others who may want to know, I found this on TV at Fox Sports Central (sourced from SportsSouth)

asknoquarter21
October 9th, 2010, 02:44 PM
End of 1st
7-7

ASU with a couple penalties that hurt. One allowed an Elon drive to continue. The rule changed on those Rugby style punts and I don't really agree with the call.

Only 1 Elon late hit thus far. (Not called)

gophoenix
October 9th, 2010, 03:12 PM
End of 1st
7-7

ASU with a couple penalties that hurt. One allowed an Elon drive to continue. The rule changed on those Rugby style punts and I don't really agree with the call.

Only 1 Elon late hit thus far. (Not called)

Then it isn't a late hit. It is an opinion from someone looking at a contact sport under a microscope.

ElonPride
October 9th, 2010, 03:16 PM
Big 4th down stop by App. Pretty good job by the App D stopping a little momentum....

13-10 App

Things should go downhill for Elon here....xnonono2x

ElonPride
October 9th, 2010, 03:20 PM
And the crumbling begins. Presley 50+ yard TD run.

20-10 App

phoenixphanatic21
October 9th, 2010, 03:29 PM
28 seconds to go in the half
Elon has it at the App 6. A TD here would change the game.

phoenixphanatic21
October 9th, 2010, 03:30 PM
Just as I say that, Riddle to Mellette for his second TD of the game. XP good. 20-17 with 23 seconds to go. And Elon gets the ball to start next half.

caryapp
October 9th, 2010, 03:32 PM
That was a huge score

tribe_pride
October 9th, 2010, 04:08 PM
What a horrible play call. 4 and goal at the 7 for Elon down by 3 early in the 3rd and they go for it. Why would you do that?

ElonPride
October 9th, 2010, 04:09 PM
Wow Lembo goes for the TD on 4th and 4? Why not simply tie up the game???????? Came away with no points against an explosive App team. GEEZ!

rumple
October 9th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Are you serious, that is inexcusable by the coach, what is he thinking?

ElonPride
October 9th, 2010, 04:11 PM
Are you serious, that is inexcusable by the coach, what is he thinking?

Not quite sure about that one man. Really made me shake my head......

rumple
October 9th, 2010, 04:13 PM
Nice response by the D after their coach screwed the pooch.

asknoquarter21
October 9th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Big Sack by Jabari Fletcher

ASU ball on the 13

ElonPride
October 9th, 2010, 04:17 PM
THat was a big sack, first by either team....

phoenixphanatic21
October 9th, 2010, 04:21 PM
Shriener has missed one or two from that distance and hash mark before. Lembo's clearly going for it all today. Only thing I can think of.

ElonPride
October 9th, 2010, 04:22 PM
Shriener has missed one or two from that distance and hash mark before. Lembo's clearly going for it all today. Only thing I can think of.

Still a terrible call IMO.

ElonPride
October 9th, 2010, 04:25 PM
And there we go. That's why it was a terrible call. Now down by 2 scores....

asknoquarter21
October 9th, 2010, 04:26 PM
Presley TD run

Here come the personal fouls.

2 for Elon 1 for ASU on consecutive plays

Mntneer
October 9th, 2010, 04:26 PM
More of the same from Elon. They've been provoking App players this entire game. Defender actually threw a punch at Elder after that last score.

ElonPride
October 9th, 2010, 04:28 PM
More of the same from Elon. They've been provoking App players this entire game. Defender actually threw a punch at Elder after that last score.

xblahblahx

ElonPride
October 9th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Presley TD run

Here come the personal fouls.

2 for Elon 1 for ASU on consecutive plays

Didn't you guys already have a couple personal fouls in the first half?

Mntneer
October 9th, 2010, 04:30 PM
xblahblahx

In other words you've got no rebuttal.

ElonPride
October 9th, 2010, 04:32 PM
So you're defending App personal fouls in the game because Elon was "provoking" them?

gophoenix
October 9th, 2010, 04:35 PM
Just in the last Elon drive therenweren3 "late hits" not called.

gophoenix
October 9th, 2010, 04:37 PM

Blah blah blah, app players are running their mouths, hits out of bounds... Such a clean program

ElonPride
October 9th, 2010, 04:38 PM
Blah blah blah, app players are running their mouths, hits out of bounds... Such a clean program

Not to mention the criminal charges of App players in recent years......oh so squeaky clean......

Maroon&White
October 9th, 2010, 04:39 PM

I've caught some of the game and that was the first thing I noticed.

ElonPride
October 9th, 2010, 04:43 PM
In all honesty, Presley for App is pretty freakin' good!

He's killed Elon on the ground today...

gophoenix
October 9th, 2010, 04:44 PM
The criminal scores a td!

gophoenix
October 9th, 2010, 04:45 PM
In all honesty, Presley for App is pretty freakin' good!

He's killed Elon on the ground today...

Lol funny when the announcers talk about more blown hold calls on app that on elon!

asknoquarter21
October 9th, 2010, 04:48 PM
The criminal scores a td!

Haha, if it makes you feel better.

And how long was he in Prison?

Lehigh Football Nation
October 9th, 2010, 04:50 PM
Audio Link?

gophoenix
October 9th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Haha, if it makes you feel better.

And how long was he in Prison?

None yet.... Funny, when players at other schools are charged, they are dismissed. At app, he's playing while awaiting a jury trial.... Where's his brother playing now?

gophoenix
October 9th, 2010, 04:55 PM
Shreiner misses another... Ugh

ElonPride
October 9th, 2010, 04:56 PM
Okay, with that missed FG it should be game.

App, looks like your offense hasn't missed a step without AE. You guys are obviously still the team to beat.

gophoenix
October 9th, 2010, 04:59 PM
Forced them to punt.....

appstate38
October 9th, 2010, 05:00 PM
None yet.... Funny, when players at other schools are charged, they are dismissed. At app, he's playing while awaiting a jury trial.... Where's his brother playing now?

Come on man you are better than that.... Easy to point fingers from where you are standing. Just sounds like sour grapes when your team isn't getting it done on the field.

ElonPride
October 9th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Come on man you are better than that.... Easy to point fingers from where you are standing. Just sounds like sour grapes when your team isn't getting it done on the field.

Actually, I've been fairly impressed with the way Elon has been playing.......

gophoenix
October 9th, 2010, 05:02 PM

No.... Sounds like you guys can dish it out but have trouble any time anything is said about the squeaky clean program. How is it easy to point a finger?

At other schools like GSU, UTC, elon, etc players get dismissed or go on suspension, at app they keep playing.... Just simple truth

asknoquarter21
October 9th, 2010, 05:05 PM
"Late hits" weren't really ever the issue.

The problem is the diving at knees/hitting players already on the ground/throwing punches(ala today).

I realize late hits happen and aren't always called. The problem is in the past when playing Elon we have had players trying to injure our players.

I don't think anyone would say DJ Smith was trying to hurt HB Newsome(?) Now had a player shot for his knees while on the ground that is a cheap shot.

gophoenix
October 9th, 2010, 05:08 PM
You were the one posting about late hits today

Like the two hits on Harris after he was down on the ground....

ElonPride
October 9th, 2010, 05:09 PM
Wow, Elon with over 500 yards of offense on the day!!!

gophoenix
October 9th, 2010, 05:20 PM
Presley Shaken up, guess we'll be blamed for that

theasushow
October 9th, 2010, 05:25 PM
Wow, Elon with over 500 yards of offense on the day!!!

and still lost....great job by elon to fight and never give up. glad asu wont have to deal with riddle again...great career. elon played great as i expected they would with their playoff life on the line, but with 4 losses now they can kiss the playoffs goodbye. the 120 yards in penalties killed app, it never should have been that close at the end, asu has to play smarter. great effort by both teams.

phoenixphanatic21
October 9th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Great game. Good to see Elon show up and keep the game as close as we did. Hurts because we missed some golden chances. My question is where has this Elon team been all year? This is much closer to what I expected to see from us from day 1.

phoenixphanatic21
October 9th, 2010, 05:27 PM
but with 4 losses now they can kiss the playoffs goodbye.

xbawlingx

ElonPride
October 9th, 2010, 05:27 PM
and still lost....great job by elon to fight and never give up. glad asu wont have to deal with riddle again...great career. elon played great as i expected they would with their playoff life on the line, but with 4 losses now they can kiss the playoffs goodbye. the 120 yards in penalties killed app, it never should have been that close at the end, asu has to play smarter. great effort by both teams.

Pretty tight game and more than what I expected.

What a day for both Presley and Riddle.

Can't help to think about what the outcome would be if not for that bone head call by Lembo.

appstate38
October 9th, 2010, 05:32 PM
No.... Sounds like you guys can dish it out but have trouble any time anything is said about the squeaky clean program. How is it easy to point a finger?

At other schools like GSU, UTC, elon, etc players get dismissed or go on suspension, at app they keep playing.... Just simple truth

So you know all the details surrounding Hillary.... Right. You know the entire back story as it concerns him. Fact is whether you agree with the punishment that was dealt is not the point. He was punished. Your mad cause it didn't meet your expectations. Well it seems you have enough problems worrying about your own program.... BTW enjoy watching the playoffs this year.

Coach Moore has no problem getting rid of guys who aren't living up to the expectations of this program.

Mntneer
October 9th, 2010, 05:37 PM
I'm done talking about personal fouls. Emotions were obviously high for both teams this game...I will say that regardless of what was being said on the field (which I'm obviously not privy to), it did seem App was able to shake it off better early on. Anyway, 'twas a much closer game than I would have liked, but in the end we're 5-0. I'm actually sorry to see Elon knocked out the playoffs. I suspect if they had played like they played today all season, this wouldn't be the case. Their challenge now will be to finish strong knowing the post season is out of reach.

theasushow
October 9th, 2010, 05:38 PM
Pretty tight game and more than what I expected.

What a day for both Presley and Riddle.

Can't help to think about what the outcome would be if not for that bone head call by Lembo.

yeah, both QB's shredded the defenses, Riddle through the air and Presley on the ground....wow 'bama goin down, forgot all about that.

ElonPride
October 9th, 2010, 05:41 PM
I'm done talking about personal fouls. Emotions were obviously high for both teams this game...I will say that regardless of what was being said on the field (which I'm obviously not privy to), it did seem App was able to shake it off better early on. Anyway, 'twas a much closer game than I would have liked, but in the end we're 5-0. I'm actually sorry to see Elon knocked out the playoffs. I suspect if they had played like they played today all season, this wouldn't be the case. Their challenge now will be to finish strong knowing the post season is out of reach.

My question is, even though Elon has a losing record, it Riddle now the front runner for the Payton? Nearly 2000 yards on the season, averaging well over 300 yards per game 17 TDs only 5 ints.....

This offense sure hasn't missed a step without Hudgins, as the same with App and the loss of AE.

ElonPride
October 9th, 2010, 05:42 PM
yeah, both QB's shredded the defenses, Riddle through the air and Presley on the ground....wow 'bama goin down, forgot all about that.

Now there's three points App and Elon fans can agree on :)

Also, time for a beer! Cheers for the good game!

AshevilleApp
October 9th, 2010, 07:09 PM
The combination of our crappy secondary and Riddle made this a scary one for App. I'm glad we've made it through the 2 best passers in the SoCon unscathed....bring on the rushing teams!!

theasushow
October 9th, 2010, 07:24 PM
The combination of our crappy secondary and Riddle made this a scary one for App. I'm glad we've made it through the 2 best passers in the SoCon unscathed....bring on the rushing teams!!

yeah, riddle had a field day...he picked on saunders (#31) from asu ALL DAY LONG. i feel like app's run defense is much better than pass defense right now, they had penetration pretty much all day.

Edge316007
October 9th, 2010, 08:28 PM
Troy Sanders got absolutely abused today

insideout08
October 9th, 2010, 09:04 PM
My question is, even though Elon has a losing record, it Riddle now the front runner for the Payton? Nearly 2000 yards on the season, averaging well over 300 yards per game 17 TDs only 5 ints.....

This offense sure hasn't missed a step without Hudgins, as the same with App and the loss of AE.

I really doubt it. He would probably need to have won at least one of these big games early in the season.

PhoenixMan
October 9th, 2010, 09:36 PM
great day watching the game on the mountain. I will look forward to hearing what Lembo has to say about what I consider the dumbest move I have seen by a college coach in a long time. Why not kick the FG and tie it up. Even Shreiner can probably make it from that distance. So....Pete, if you are on AGS tonight, how about fill me in on that bone head call.

theasushow
October 9th, 2010, 09:39 PM
great day watching the game on the mountain. I will look forward to hearing what Lembo has to say about what I consider the dumbest move I have seen by a college coach in a long time. Why not kick the FG and tie it up. Even Shreiner can probably make it from that distance. So....Pete, if you are on AGS tonight, how about fill me in on that bone head call.

hes must have had dinner with bobby lamb recently...

phoenixphanatic21
October 9th, 2010, 09:39 PM

He can hit from that distance, but he struggles MIGHTILY on kicks from the right hash.

theasushow
October 9th, 2010, 09:42 PM
wow watching the Florida game...ASU is gonna have their hands full. (duh)

PhoenixMan
October 9th, 2010, 10:15 PM
He can hit from that distance, but he struggles MIGHTILY on kicks from the right hash.

He is now 1 for 4 from 40+ this year. I hope we are recruiting kickers, because Shreiner is NOT the guy. I know its a tough job....but, the misses last year at Richmond...again this year at Richmond again....and many others along the way (including today).

phoenixphanatic21
October 10th, 2010, 09:15 AM
He is now 1 for 4 from 40+ this year. I hope we are recruiting kickers, because Shreiner is NOT the guy. I know its a tough job....but, the misses last year at Richmond...again this year at Richmond again....and many others along the way (including today).

It makes us realize how good we had it with Andrew Wilcox. Man I miss that guy.

Saint3333
October 10th, 2010, 03:16 PM
Dale Jones, ASU DC, needs to go back to the drawing board. ZERO blitzs on 40 passes, what a joke.

Offensive play calling was so boring as well. Elon out coached ASU yesterday and Lembo made plenty of mistakes. Too much talent on this team to put forth an effort like that. I hate bye weeks.

AppStsGr8
October 10th, 2010, 03:58 PM

My friends and I kept remarking to each other that Lembo was going to wish he'd opted for the FG attempt. Of course, if Vitaris hadn't missed his first PAT in forever, even a Phoenix FG wouldn't have been enough.

ElonPride
October 10th, 2010, 04:26 PM
My friends and I kept remarking to each other that Lembo was going to wish he'd opted for the FG attempt. Of course, if Vitaris hadn't missed his first PAT in forever, even a Phoenix FG wouldn't have been enough.

Way to many "ifs" from the Elon side in this game. Missed scoring opp and a missed FG really made a huge difference. But then again, App may have scored on that last drive. Both teams made plenty of game changing mistakes.

Rekdiver
October 10th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Elon played as hard and I expected them to, It was the end of their season if they lost. Riddle is poised, and has a strong arm. Will see him on Sunday. Elon wasn't as flagrantly dirty as previous seasons but there were moments......... However the smack stalk can stop for another year......You lose, we won. Book it Dano!

ElonPride
October 10th, 2010, 07:22 PM
Elon wasn't as flagrantly dirty as previous seasons but there were moments.........

Whatever makes you feel better there rek. If I recall correctly, App not only won the game, but won the highest count on personal fouls.....

And as for "dirty," look no further than your own program and the criminals that inhabit it.

I apologize to the decent App fans (which there are many), but I couldn't let this one pass.

Saint3333
October 10th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Rek, Riddle played by far the best game against ASU in four years (I still think Coach Jones had a bad gameplan), however you will not see Riddle on Sundays unless you guys go to the same church.

Speaking of, Elon for the first time participated in the post game prayer I thought that was a good start.

james_lawfirm
October 10th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Elon out coached ASU yesterday.

Not sure I agree. Who won the game? I had very little doubt about the outcome. Is there any chance that Riddle was actually a pretty darn good QB or that Elon was a pretty good team?

Saint3333
October 10th, 2010, 07:53 PM
When is the last time you watched a defense not blitz one time? Now take into account that the opponent threw 40 times. Maybe the entire coaching staff wasn't outcoached, but Elon's OC got the best of ASU's DC yesterday, no adjustments.

SpeedkingATL
October 10th, 2010, 08:33 PM
I think what you saw was Riddle really rise to the ocasion and he played a great game. He was under constant pressure and consistantly stepped or ran around it, away from it or thru it and made pinpoint passes to receivers that were able to get open given that Riddle bought alot of extra time. App helped with too many key penalitys that extended drives and gave up points. Say what you want he played a great game yesterday. Fortunately App has a guy named Dre' that also played an exceptional game at QB and looked like the best athlete on the field. Elon was backed into a corner and gave a hugh effort. It just wasn't enough to upset the Apps.

phan
October 11th, 2010, 07:20 AM
When is the last time you watched a defense not blitz one time? Now take into account that the opponent threw 40 times. Maybe the entire coaching staff wasn't outcoached, but Elon's OC got the best of ASU's DC yesterday, no adjustments.

It looked like some of those runs by Riddle were designed plays meant to keep the D honest and counter the fact that they haven't been running the ball well. They seemed to work well and the OC's games plan was right on. Unfortunately for Elon, App scored more points but I think they did gain some respect IMO. It was a great game to watch for fans of both teams.

PhoenixMan
October 11th, 2010, 09:09 AM
It looked like some of those runs by Riddle were designed plays meant to keep the D honest and counter the fact that they haven't been running the ball well. They seemed to work well and the OC's games plan was right on. Unfortunately for Elon, App scored more points but I think they did gain some respect IMO. It was a great game to watch for fans of both teams.

We should be past the point of "gaining respect" for playing App St. close. Moral victories for Elon stopped for me a few years ago. At this point, the only way to gain respect is a win.

SideLine Shooter
October 11th, 2010, 09:16 AM
We should be past the point of "gaining respect" for playing App St. close. Moral victories for Elon stopped for me a few years ago. At this point, the only way to gain respect is a win.

Hey, they sold me on Saturday. I believe they are a better allround team than last year. Riddle is the real deal.

Guess
October 11th, 2010, 09:21 AM
It was the equivalent of a playoff game for Elon and they lost. Go figure.

PhoenixMan
October 11th, 2010, 09:23 AM
Hey, they sold me on Saturday. I believe they are a better allround team than last year. Riddle is the real deal.

They aren't nearly as good all around this year as they were last year. The difference is, Riddle is better than ever, and he was as impressive on Saturday as I have seen him. Presley was by far the fastest guy on the field, and that was crucial to the win.

SideLine Shooter
October 11th, 2010, 09:27 AM
They aren't nearly as good all around this year as they were last year. The difference is, Riddle is better than ever, and he was as impressive on Saturday as I have seen him. Presley was by far the fastest guy on the field, and that was crucial to the win.

Exactly on Riddle. IMO Riddle had never impressed me in previous meetings with App. Saturday he was very good and made a believer out of me. It was a hard fought game on both sides of the ball.

elon77
October 11th, 2010, 10:14 AM
Rek, Riddle played by far the best game against ASU in four years (I still think Coach Jones had a bad gameplan), however you will not see Riddle on Sundays unless you guys go to the same church.

Speaking of, Elon for the first time participated in the post game prayer I thought that was a good start.

You might see Riddle on Sundays, just maybe on a baseball diamond. It is the sport that he will probably play after he finishes college. He probably has the tools and ability to place baseball at the next level. His height will not hinder him on the baseball field.

mcveyrl
October 11th, 2010, 10:33 AM
I apologize. I haven't read the whole thread and didn't keep up with the game thread on Saturday. I did keep track on my phone and wondered what was with Elon going for it on 4th and goal from (I think) the 6. I think a FG would've pulled them within one. Did anybody have any insight on that?

I couldn't even catch on TV down here, but it looks like it would've been a good one to watch.

Touchdown Yosef
October 11th, 2010, 11:59 AM
I am soo sick of watching our defense year after year struggle. We have highly rated recruiting classes every year and to me that says that we are getting the guys we want but we can't put a dominant defense on the field and haven't since 05 and part of 06. How do you play a pass first team with no blitz and get consistently beat down the field? The defensive performance was awful yesterday minus a few of our stand out players. Their receivers were consistently 10 yards away from the closest defender when they caught the ball and got behind our defense to get down the field far too easily. I cannot fathom how we managed to play this poorly with the talent that is supposed to be there. There is no reason that our offense should have to score 35 points to beat a one dimensional football team no matter how good the quarterback.

All that being said Riddle played a heck of a game and had a few big drops from his receivers, he has a heck of an arm and surprised me with his ability to scramble and make a play down the field. I'm glad we got the win but I would have like to see a better effort on the defensive side of the ball.

biggie
October 11th, 2010, 01:49 PM
I apologize. I haven't read the whole thread and didn't keep up with the game thread on Saturday. I did keep track on my phone and wondered what was with Elon going for it on 4th and goal from (I think) the 6. I think a FG would've pulled them within one. Did anybody have any insight on that?

I couldn't even catch on TV down here, but it looks like it would've been a good one to watch.
It would have tied the game.

Elon Coach said he didn't trust the kicker from the right hash mark, apparently he's only hit 1 from the right all year long.

PhoenixMan
October 11th, 2010, 01:50 PM

Man, if you figure that one out, please let me know. Yes, it was the 6 yd. line, and a FG would have tied the game. As I said loudly in the stands when it happened...that was the dumbest move I have seen in a long time by a college coach. All he said later was "we haven't done well from the right hash". If you don't have confidence in your kicker from 23 yds, from any angle, then you need a new kicker.

T-Dog
October 11th, 2010, 02:09 PM
that was the dumbest move I have seen in a long time by a college coach.

I said the exact same thing. But then I remembered Bobby Lamb and qualified it saying it was "one of the dumbest".

AshevilleApp
October 11th, 2010, 03:50 PM
I am soo sick of watching our defense year after year struggle. We have highly rated recruiting classes every year and to me that says that we are getting the guys we want but we can't put a dominant defense on the field and haven't since 05 and part of 06. How do you play a pass first team with no blitz and get consistently beat down the field? The defensive performance was awful yesterday minus a few of our stand out players. Their receivers were consistently 10 yards away from the closest defender when they caught the ball and got behind our defense to get down the field far too easily. I cannot fathom how we managed to play this poorly with the talent that is supposed to be there. There is no reason that our offense should have to score 35 points to beat a one dimensional football team no matter how good the quarterback.

All that being said Riddle played a heck of a game and had a few big drops from his receivers, he has a heck of an arm and surprised me with his ability to scramble and make a play down the field. I'm glad we got the win but I would have like to see a better effort on the defensive side of the ball.

From what I saw it looked like our DL was getting pressure, specifically Fletcher. The problem was that Riddle was elusive enough to get out of the pocket and by that time its like our DBs had just given up hoping that a sack was coming. There were at least 4 plays where Riddle got flushed and heaved it downfield to a wide open guy......Sanders and Gainey looked foolish

AA

AppStsGr8
October 11th, 2010, 04:38 PM
Way to many "ifs" from the Elon side in this game. Missed scoring opp and a missed FG really made a huge difference. But then again, App may have scored on that last drive. Both teams made plenty of game changing mistakes.

I was thinking that App didn't really try to score on the last drive. Otherwise, why would Jackson have taken a knee? You're right about the "ifs". Any close game could have gone the other way .... IF. I'm glad App won this one in spite of what looked to me like too many missed coverages.

SoCon48
October 12th, 2010, 07:39 AM

EXACTLY although it is a sacrilege to critique V.

SoCon48
October 12th, 2010, 07:44 AM
Presley Shaken up, guess we'll be blamed for that

So you know all the details surrounding Hillary.... Right. You know the entire back story as it concerns him. Fact is whether you agree with the punishment that was dealt is not the point. He was punished. Your mad cause it didn't meet your expectations. Well it seems you have enough problems worrying about your own program.... BTW enjoy watching the playoffs this year.

Coach Moore has no problem getting rid of guys who aren't living up to the expectations of this program.

Good post and spot on.