PDA

View Full Version : SHSU @ Lamar - Game Thread

TexasTerror
September 26th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Note: Additional information will be added to this thread, as it becomes available.

Sam Houston State Bearkats @ Lamar Cardinals
October 2, 2010 · 6 p.m · Provost Umphrey Stadium · Beaumont, Texas

Following the Game
Live Audio - Lamar (www.klvi.com=) - SHSU 1 (http://www.gobearkats.com) - SHSU 2 (http://www.ksam1017.com)

Game Day Weather Information (courtesy of Weather Underground) -
Provost Umphrey Stadium (http://www.wunderground.com/sports/CFB/hometeam/Lamar:Cardinals.html)

Game Notes
Lamar - Not available as of post time
SHSU - Not available as of post time

Twitter Feeds
@LamarCards (http://twitter.com/LamarCards)
@BearkatSports (http://twitter.com/BearkatSports)

Team Web Sites
Lamar (http://www.lamarcardinals.com/sports/m-footbl/lama-m-footbl-body.html)
SHSU (http://www.gobearkats.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=19900&KEY=&SPID=11345&SPSID=92955)

Other Helpful Links
Port Arthur News (http://panews.com/sports)
Beaumont Enterprise (http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/)
Huntsville Item (http://www.itemonline.com)
Houstonian Online (http://www.houstonianonline.com/sports) (SHSU student newspaper)

Team Fan Sites
Big Red Insider (http://www.bigredinsider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=105)
SETXSports.com (http://www.setxsports.com/forum/index.php?board=53.0)
SHSU KatFans.com (http://www.katfans.com/)

TexasTerror
September 26th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Young SHSU continues to grow...

Lamar's 71-3 loss exposes the Cardinals for what many believe they are. Jekkyl & Hyde maybe?

tw_fatcat
September 26th, 2010, 01:31 PM
Well here is one that should have the nation's eyes glued to their television sets.xnodx

TexasTerror
September 26th, 2010, 01:37 PM
Well here is one that should have the nation's eyes glued to their television sets.xnodx

Can't be any worse than the SFA-Lamar game that was on TV in a few select markets! ;)

tw_fatcat
September 26th, 2010, 01:55 PM
Can't be any worse than the SFA-Lamar game that was on TV in a few select markets! ;)

Probably true.

TexasTerror
September 26th, 2010, 01:55 PM
Need to figure out what Lamar's QB situation is... of course, even if it was minor - the score already was out of reach and it did not matter whether he returned or not...

Lamar (2-2) played the second half without quarterback Andre Bevil, who left with a right ankle injury.

Hopefully Stoker has the game plan...

AxeEmJacks
September 26th, 2010, 03:03 PM
Watch for unsportsmanlike conduct if Lamar gets too far behind.

houtexan
September 27th, 2010, 05:13 PM
Game is sold out 16,100. Standing Room Only. Last home game LU only allowed 500 SRO tickets.

houtexan
September 27th, 2010, 05:20 PM
Watch for unsportsmanlike conduct if Lamar gets too far behind.

Really? There were 2 personal fouls called in the entire game in a 71-3 route by SFA. Is this comment really necessary.

TexasTerror
September 27th, 2010, 05:23 PM
Really? There were 2 personal fouls called in the entire game in a 71-3 route by SFA. Is this comment really necessary.

LOL!

Game is sold out 16,100. Standing Room Only. Last home game LU only allowed 500 SRO tickets.

I love that Lamar is doing so well. It only boosts the SLC. Can't wait until the 2011 season when everyone has four home and four away games in league play. It's going to be make it even tougher to win the league and won't surprise me if we see a 6-2 SLC team take the AQ. Also will help boost league's chances for three teams since scheduling has got to get better... :)

houtexan
September 27th, 2010, 05:28 PM
LOL!

I love that Lamar is doing so well. It only boosts the SLC. Can't wait until the 2011 season when everyone has four home and four away games in league play. It's going to be make it even tougher to win the league and won't surprise me if we see a 6-2 SLC team take the AQ. Also will help boost league's chances for three teams since scheduling has got to get better... :)

It is great to see the excitement in SE Texas and the support from the fans, students, and local business. Hoping they open up more SRO for this weekends game. No reason they can't get 20,000 in for the game.

blackfordpu
September 27th, 2010, 10:30 PM
It is great to see the excitement in SE Texas and the support from the fans, students, and local business. Hoping they open up more SRO for this weekends game. No reason they can't get 20,000 in for the game.

Except for those things called fire codes.

houtexan
September 28th, 2010, 08:10 AM
Except for those things called fire codes.

Record was 18,500 vs. Baylor before the renovation.

TexasTerror
September 28th, 2010, 08:23 PM
Has there been any updates on Bevil?

Read on the Lamar fan board that he is walking around campus in a boot. That does not bold well for the Cards, if he is going to be unavailable. Tell us about your back-up quarterback. Do not know anything about him - who is it?

purplejacks
September 28th, 2010, 08:40 PM
Hey, whether he is in a boot or not, the guy is only 5'7" tall and might weigh 160. I saw him in person last weekend and he is not Troy Aikman. Also, SFA only rushed 4 down linemen the entire game and basically killed them. Lamar is what they are... a first year program with a bunch of wannabee football players that as a whole are not a good team. SHSU should absolutely crush em, just like SFA did. If they dont, then they better get their mommie to write a note they can't come to Reliant Stadium on Oct. 23rd.

Trust me, Lamar dont like to get hit, which is what SFA did.. They hit em and Lamar wilted. They have no running game, no pass defense, no run defense and a pint-sized QB and 2 decent receivers. You bust the QB a couple of times and before you know it , he's on the sideline with crutches. Also, they dont block well on their punts. SFA was killing them, blocked one, murdered the kicker on 2 others.. he was completely unprotectected.. I'm telling ya, it was like a team coached by a bunch of junior high guys.

Which brings up the bigger question...how did they play McNeese so close and then beat SELA?????? Those guys must really be bad this year.

SHSU...good luclk. you should name your own score against these guys.

AxeEmJacks
September 28th, 2010, 10:44 PM
Hey, whether he is in a boot or not, the guy is only 5'7" tall and might weigh 160. I saw him in person last weekend and he is not Troy Aikman. Also, SFA only rushed 4 down linemen the entire game and basically killed them. Lamar is what they are... a first year program with a bunch of wannabee football players that as a whole are not a good team. SHSU should absolutely crush em, just like SFA did. If they dont, then they better get their mommie to write a note they can't come to Reliant Stadium on Oct. 23rd.

Trust me, Lamar dont like to get hit, which is what SFA did.. They hit em and Lamar wilted. They have no running game, no pass defense, no run defense and a pint-sized QB and 2 decent receivers. You bust the QB a couple of times and before you know it , he's on the sideline with crutches. Also, they dont block well on their punts. SFA was killing them, blocked one, murdered the kicker on 2 others.. he was completely unprotectected.. I'm telling ya, it was like a team coached by a bunch of junior high guys.

Which brings up the bigger question...how did they play McNeese so close and then beat SELA?????? Those guys must really be bad this year.

Make sure you score no more than 3 points against them though Sam, if you do you'll be running up the score, even if you start picking people from the crowd to be your quarterback.

TexasTerror
September 29th, 2010, 07:28 AM

SHSU is not a pass-happy team. Young QB and a very run-oriented offense while he grows into it. We're not going to score 40 points unless our defense and special teams is putting down the hammer...

Bevil - if healthy - could make it very difficult, unless Stoker's game plan comes to fruition.

bigred360
September 29th, 2010, 10:30 AM
Has there been any updates on Bevil?

Read on the Lamar fan board that he is walking around campus in a boot. That does not bold well for the Cards, if he is going to be unavailable. Tell us about your back-up quarterback. Do not know anything about him - who is it?

Andre Bevil has a high ankle spain that usually takes weeks to heal. If he plays he won't be 100%. Entering the season Kevin Smith a transfer from West Texas State was our backup QB but he injuried his shoulder and I believe he is out for the season.

So, if Bevil can't go Lamar will be starting a freshman walk-on in Doug Prewitt from Beaumont Kelly where he passed for 2,577 yards with 20 TD passes as a senior. He is 5'11, 170.

It will be a very difficult game for Lamar to win if Bevil can't go IMO.

houtexan
September 29th, 2010, 10:52 AM
Andre Bevil has a high ankle spain that usually takes weeks to heal. If he plays he won't be 100%. Entering the season Kevin Smith a transfer from West Texas State was our backup QB but he injuried his shoulder and I believe he is out for the season.

So, if Bevil can't go Lamar will be starting a freshman walk-on in Doug Prewitt from Beaumont Kelly where he passed for 2,577 yards with 20 TD passes as a senior. He is 5'11, 170.

What about Harrison Tatum? Thought he played in the Spring game at QB? Will be interesting if Bevil isn't in.

TexasTerror
September 29th, 2010, 11:17 AM

Hard to be a QB and stay healthy. Sounds a lot like a school that seems to have a lot of Lamar ties - Houston. ;)

Thanks for the info!

McNeese75
September 29th, 2010, 11:28 AM

That injury really sucks and is a tough rehab during the season.

bigred360
September 29th, 2010, 03:06 PM
TexasTerror,

How many people who support SHSU should we expect at Provost Umphrey this Saturday?

TheRiver
September 30th, 2010, 09:28 AM

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2010, 10:33 AM
TexasTerror,

How many people who support SHSU should we expect at Provost Umphrey this Saturday?

How many tickets did Lamar supply to Sam?

bigred360
September 30th, 2010, 11:04 AM
How many tickets did Lamar supply to Sam?

I don't know the number but talking with the ticket manager at LU they sent over tickets for the coaches and players family members. I thought that was kind of odd but that is the information I got.

He said the game has been sold out since about the 1st of this month. He mentioned SRO tickets being sold but only to Lamar or LIT students.

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2010, 12:04 PM
I don't know the number but talking with the ticket manager at LU they sent over tickets for the coaches and players family members. I thought that was kind of odd but that is the information I got.

He said the game has been sold out since about the 1st of this month. He mentioned SRO tickets being sold but only to Lamar or LIT students.

Schools typically have an agreement (and think in SLC play it is mandatory) that you give X amount of comp tickets to each coach and player. I know in Div I hoops, it is typically four comps per player/asst coach and eight for the head coach. Something like that, at least that's what I've seen. Football may be less because of how big the teams are. May be two per player or something.

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Talk about ancient history...

The light breeze of the autumn Saturday evening swirled inside the 25-year old Cardinal Stadium, with the usual three thousand or so fans who dotted the inside of the 17,750 open seat arena.

Inside, the stadium lacked paint and proper field care, as it had been run down for some time. Adorned with grass corners, much like Bowers Stadium, one end housed the Montagne Center, where the Cardinals played basketball, and at the other was the small field house.

The small group of fans, which has become even smaller over the years, watch as the Lamar Cardinals crushed Sam Houston State University by way of a 41-0 score.

http://www.houstonianonline.com/sports/a-rivalry-renewed-1.2348913

lionsrking2
September 30th, 2010, 03:21 PM
If Bevil can't go, or isn't 100%, then Lamar is a much different animal than they were against us...if he's able to run around and buy time, he's got four outstanding WRs who can go get it, which becomes a great equalizer...if he's healthy and on his game, they've got a shot, if not, it's a blowout.

TexasTerror
October 1st, 2010, 07:16 PM
Per a post on Big Red Insider (http://www.bigredinsider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=105&func=view&catid=5&id=2291), Bevil is going to start on Saturday against SHSU.

McNeese75
October 1st, 2010, 10:27 PM
Per a post on Big Red Insider (http://www.bigredinsider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=105&func=view&catid=5&id=2291), Bevil is going to start on Saturday against SHSU.

With a high ankle sprain, he will not be nearly as mobile as he was in the first three games.

TexasTerror
October 2nd, 2010, 06:44 AM
Bearkats know work is not done (Huntsville Item)
http://itemonline.com/sports/x1850235929/Bearkats-know-work-is-not-done

TexasTerror
October 2nd, 2010, 06:05 PM
Kooter & Leroy on the air for the Bearkats...

SHSU won the toss. Will defer. Todd Whitten (Lamar OC) gets to run his offense against his former team right now... exciting start to the game! ;)

TexasTerror
October 2nd, 2010, 06:06 PM
Bevil is starting... first attempt is complete to J.J. Hayes into SHSU territory. Guess he's fine...

TexasTerror
October 2nd, 2010, 06:10 PM
Lamar on 4th-and-4 from the SHSU42 - receiver dropped it and was wide open - so SHSU is going to get the ball in pretty good field position at their own 42. Turnover on downs...

TexasTerror
October 2nd, 2010, 06:13 PM
Bearkats have to punt on their first offensive possession...

Foster punts, takes a good bounce and out of bounds at the Lamar three-yard line. 46 yard punt. Nice!

MR. CHICKEN
October 2nd, 2010, 06:17 PM
AN' DUH ROUT IS ON 7-0....S.H........xnodx....BRAWK!

TexasTerror
October 2nd, 2010, 06:18 PM
Lamar has to punt and SHSU gains possession in Cardinal territory... TOUCHDOWN BRANDON CLOSSNER on the return... 49 yard return!

Miguel Antonio field goal... GOOD!

Bearkats 7-0 with 9:39 left in the 1st Quarter.

TexasTerror
October 2nd, 2010, 06:23 PM
Another SHSU defensive display...

Lamar punts again... wobbly punt, Lamar bounce. Bearkats will look to get offense going after special teams has been strong early. Start on their own 42, not bad again.

TexasTerror
October 2nd, 2010, 06:28 PM
SHSU has first and goal from inside the seven yard line...

Some remarks about "Beautiful Beaumont" and the refinery from the Bearkat broadcasters... :)

TexasTerror
October 2nd, 2010, 06:30 PM
TOUCHDOWN BEARKATS!

Seth Patterson with a 3-yard grab and SHSU scores on 3rd and goal... xnodx

Miguel Antonio improves to 7-for-7 on PATs.

SHSU 14-0, 2:15 1Q xhurrayx

TexasTerror
October 2nd, 2010, 06:33 PM
Special teams is HUGE again...

Lamar gets a great return into SHSU territory, they are at the SH23...

Lamar fumbles... Cards "somehow came up with it".

TexasTerror
October 2nd, 2010, 06:34 PM
"A beautiful setup here, hard to believe you are in Beaumont until you see that refinery over there"...

Lamar catches it at the 9-yard line of SHSU and flags are flying everywhere. Penalty on Sam, half way to goal. Puts them just inside the SH 5

TexasTerror
October 2nd, 2010, 06:36 PM
Bevil sacked back at the SH20... Darnell Taylor.

3rd and goal from the 20... Bevil calls a timeout.

TexasTerror
October 2nd, 2010, 06:39 PM
End of first quarter... SHSU leads 14-0.

Surprised we came out strong. Would love to get another defensive stand right here, tack on another score (or two) and put the pressure on Bevil to really produce. SFA fans report that Lamar just "folded" up last week when they were getting beat up by the Jacks. If Bevil is really not healthy, it's going to be too much to overcome...

Lamar could cut the lead in half here, we'll see...

Bevil pass incomplete... 4th and goal.

TexasTerror
October 2nd, 2010, 06:40 PM
Hayes is down in the end zone and may have had his bell rung...

A 37-yard FG attempt by the Cards... 3 of 5 entering this one... Hayes was not off the field, hold on... field goal is good.

SHSU 14-3 Lamar, 14:51 2nd Quarter

Bearkats get their third offensive possession next...

TexasTerror
October 2nd, 2010, 06:48 PM
SHSU gets to midfield, punts away and Lamar is at their own 19...

Bearkats really controlling the battle for field possession here. Making a huge difference...

TexasTerror
October 2nd, 2010, 06:50 PM
Bevil took a shot on 3rd and long... been knocked around a few times, wonder if the Bearkats knew he was a bit banged up and are more encouraged to get after him...

SHSU returns from 32 and gets to about the 40. Again, Bearkats near mid-field without even a single snap offensively.

TexasTerror
October 2nd, 2010, 07:06 PM
Stepped away...

SHSU leads 21-3 as I catch up with the broadcast... was a 27-yard run by Flanders to get the current score. SHSU moving into Lamar territory...

TexasTerror
October 2nd, 2010, 07:08 PM
Flanders scores second TD...

SHSU leads 28-3 over Lamar with 1:54 left in the first half...

TexasTerror
October 2nd, 2010, 07:14 PM
Some stats of note since taking that 28-3 lead... don't have starting spot for each drive, but I know that leans ridiculously towards SHSU...

SHSU has 24 carries for 131 yards and a 5.5 yard per carry average, Lamar is 7 carries for -19 yards or -2.7 yards per carry

SHSU has ran 33 plays, an average of 7.1 yards a play, Lamar is averaging 3.2 yards per play on 22 plays

SHSU is 5/8 on 3rd down conversions, Lamar is 0/5

TexasTerror
October 2nd, 2010, 07:31 PM
FYI - SHSU AD coming on at half. May get some more on the FBS feasibility study and some of the changes in the SLC forthcoming...

TexasTerror
October 2nd, 2010, 07:33 PM
Posted info from interview on the SHSU FBS thread (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?65483-SHSU-Begins-Checking-out-FBS-Move&p=1562739#post1562739)...

TexasTerror
October 2nd, 2010, 07:48 PM
Another TD...

9:31 left in a VERY QUIET stadium in Beaumont... SHSU 35-3.

TexasTerror
October 2nd, 2010, 07:54 PM
Bevil completes a long pass to Marcus Jackson... he fumbles the ball and the Bearkats come up with it...

This is a confidence boost for the Bearkats, no doubt, coming into the SLC opener against Nicholls...

TxState_GO_CATS!
October 2nd, 2010, 07:58 PM
Not to piss in your cheerios, but Lamar is reeeeally reeeeeally bad. xsmhxxsmhxxsmhx Watching the video, I don't think I've seen a team implode quite this badly...talk about a hangover. I think they're still knocked out from last week. Not a knock against the Kats, but ****...this team is a glorified HS team. I can now see how SFA didn't mean to score 71--Lamar is just god-awful!!

Hope they can turn this thing around...if not, SLC play will be scary!

TexasTerror
October 2nd, 2010, 08:01 PM
Lamar gets a defensive stop and the crowd reacts for the first time all day...

Lamar gets a score and it is 35-10.

TexasTerror
October 2nd, 2010, 08:03 PM
Not to piss in your cheerios, but Lamar is reeeeally reeeeeally bad. xsmhxxsmhxxsmhx Watching the video, I don't think I've seen a team implode quite this badly...talk about a hangover. I think they're still knocked out from last week. Not a knock against the Kats, but ****...this team is a glorified HS team. I can now see how SFA didn't mean to score 71--Lamar is just god-awful!!

Hope they can turn this thing around...if not, SLC play will be scary!

I know that Lamar is not all that they are cracked up to be...

If you knew about the Bearkats, you would know this team is just as young as Lamar. Plenty of freshmen - including a TRUE freshman at QB. A redshirt freshman at running back and there's plenty of sophomores too. SHSU is gaining on the fly experience and we're going to need confidence.

This game is building confidence and I figure Nicholls will help that as well, since they are not the greatest team in the SLC either. That's who we have next week. We're going to continue to grow as the season unfolds and this young Bearkat squad will be something special in two years. We're not ready to beat the Bobcats and Lumberjacks, but we're certainly a long ways ahead of where we were in week one and two.

txst80
October 2nd, 2010, 08:06 PM
If you knew about the Bearkats, you would know this team is just as young as Lamar. Plenty of freshmen - including a TRUE freshman at QB.

How do you like Brian Bell so far, TT? He went to the same high school as me. He is a coaches son, when I was playing football in HS he was an 11 year old roaming the locker room. Last time I saw him he was probably still in middle school. Hard for me to picture him playing college ball.

TexasTerror
October 2nd, 2010, 08:29 PM
Lamar runs an Arena League offense...

Was really worried about Bevil. Throws the ball down the field way too much.

If Bevil is throwing the ball down the field, expecting a TD each time he makes an attempt - they are playing very much like an Arena Football team. Guess that's what you get when your head coach has experience on the Texas Terror staff in the Arena League!

TexasTerror
October 2nd, 2010, 08:31 PM
How do you like Brian Bell so far, TT? He went to the same high school as me. He is a coaches son, when I was playing football in HS he was an 11 year old roaming the locker room. Last time I saw him he was probably still in middle school. Hard for me to picture him playing college ball.

I like him a lot...

I think he really needs the run to develop in order to feel more comfortable under center. Lucky for him in games against Gardner-Webb and Lamar, the Kats have been able to establish the run. The run opens up things big time for him and while he's not throwing down field a lot, he's being smart and limiting his miscues by playing a contained offensive game...

MR. CHICKEN
October 2nd, 2010, 08:32 PM
LAMAR HOMERS JES' ANNOUNCED [email protected],187....BIRD-BRAINS!!.........AN' SEATS ARE EMPTYIN'.......FASTER DAN LOADIN' LIFE-BOATS ON DUH TITANIC.....AWK!

TexasTerror
October 2nd, 2010, 08:35 PM
Antonio 42 yard field goal attempt... no good.

The fans cheer for Lamar... wonder how many are left?

5:01 left, 38-10 in favor of SHSU.

TexasTerror
October 2nd, 2010, 08:46 PM
SHSU 38-10 Lamar FINAL

Over 17,000 fans at Provost Umphrey Stadium at the start of the game, much fewer by the end.

TexasTerror
October 3rd, 2010, 07:24 AM
Let The Good Times Roll (Huntsville Item)
http://itemonline.com/sports/x996176227/Let-the-good-times-roll

Lamar loses at home against Sam Houston State (Beaumont Enterprise)
http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/local/lamar_loses_at_home_against_sam_houston_state.html

houtexan
October 3rd, 2010, 10:03 AM
Folks, we're just glad to have college football back in Beaumont. Note: Over 17,000 in the stands (and thousands turned away)...A new team that we expect to lose but love when they win. We have great facilities (refinery in the background and all - think of it as a money factory) and great fans. Expect great things to come from Lamar (this ain't yo' Mommas Lamar) and enjoy the nay saying while you can. Remember it's year one...and no one here is disappointed with a 2-3 record. ;)

TexasTerror
October 3rd, 2010, 10:09 AM
Folks, we're just glad to have college football back in Beaumont. Note: Over 17,000 in the stands (and thousands turned away)...

Wonder if the thousands turned away would've been willing to stick around the length of the game... ;)

A new team that we expect to lose but love when they win. We have great facilities (refinery in the background and all - think of it as a money factory) and great fans. Expect great things to come from Lamar (this ain't yo' Mommas Lamar) and enjoy the nay saying while you can. Remember it's year one...and no one here is disappointed with a 2-3 record. ;)

I figure the Cards got their hopes up after three weeks of the season. All come back down to Earth after convincing victories by SFA, SHSU over the Cards.

houtexan
October 3rd, 2010, 10:12 AM
Wonder if the thousands turned away would've been willing to stick around the length of the game... ;)

In the State of Texas it's a rule that you leave when your team is getting their butts whooped at home after the 3rd QTR. College or Pro.

TexasTerror
October 5th, 2010, 07:26 AM
Kats Attack in Cardinals' Nest

Beaumont – It's been 21 years since Sam Houston State University played Lamar University in football. The last meeting between the two teams ended in a 41-0 route with SHSU, who used a practice squad quarterback for the game.

The Bearkats finally got their revenge by way of a 38-10 beating of the Cardinals on Saturday night.

http://www.houstonianonline.com/sports/kats-attack-in-cardinals-nest-1.2354138

TexasTerror
October 5th, 2010, 07:26 AM
Honors for a pair of Bearkats...

Sam Houston State running back Tim Flanders and return specialist Brandon Closner, who helped lead the Bearkats to a 38-10 victory at Lamar last Saturday, were named the Southland Conference offensive player of the week and special teams player of the week, respectively, the league announced Monday.

Flanders totaled 153 yards on 25 carries and scored three touchdowns in the non-conference win at Lamar last Saturday. The freshman from Midwest City, Okla., became the first Bearkat freshman to gain more than 100 yards rushing three games in a row.

Only four other Sam Houston State backs in history have posted three consecutive 100-yard performances. Flanders averaged 6.1 yards per carry, scoring touchdowns of 27, 1 and 3 yards.

http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=19900&ATCLID=205005944

katstrapper
October 9th, 2010, 10:42 AM

Brian Bell is going to be a fine college QB. He is very comfortable in the pocket and has a knack of feeling pressure. When I saw him at the first home game, he moved around very good and always had his eyes downfield. He completed a couple of long passes by getting away from pressure. He has a good arm and is fairly accurate with his passes. He is is also pretty mobile. The more he plays, the better his is going to be.

My only knock on him right now is he really needs to put on the weight. Right now he is listed at 6-2, 165lbs. I am always worried he is going to break in half when hit.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how the QB competition heats up when Tyrik Rollison comes back. I think it will be really tough to sit Brian Bell.