PDA

View Full Version : Elon @ GSU Observations

Saint3333
September 25th, 2010, 08:11 PM
1. GSU has great team speed, DEs were in Elon's backfield all night
2. The triple option is back and almost up to speed, this is scary for week 4
3. Elon's loses on the offensive line are bigger than expected, no rush attack, even in the first half when the game was tight
4. Elon has some nice young WRs, #3 is going to be all conference at least twice during his career
5. I've never seen Riddle overthrow and underthrow so many balls (even against ASU)
6. Scaried thing I saw was GSU's ability to pass the ball, it could be due to the youth in Elon's secondary
7. GSU is back and potentially the big three may be

The overall question is has Elon's defense fallen as much as it looked tonight or is GSU's offense that good?

ASU3481
September 25th, 2010, 08:20 PM
GSU is back. they looked really good. Elon looked sloppy they are over ranked imo.

But when GSU went to take that knee and that elon player hit him late. NO CLASS

PhoenixMan
September 25th, 2010, 08:36 PM
GSU is back. they looked really good. Elon looked sloppy they are over ranked imo.

But when GSU went to take that knee and that elon player hit him late. NO CLASS

The GSU QB shouldn't have tried to run around, and just went to a knee. That's beside the point though. I am thoroughly embarassed by that performance, and I hope our players and coaches are as well. 1-3, 0-1. Great start after their first playoff berth. Looked awful.

GlassOnion
September 25th, 2010, 08:42 PM
The GSU QB shouldn't have tried to run around, and just went to a knee. That's beside the point though. I am thoroughly embarassed by that performance, and I hope our players and coaches are as well. 1-3, 0-1. Great start after their first playoff berth. Looked awful.

He was on his knee when he got hit! Ridiculous!

SideLine Shooter
September 25th, 2010, 08:43 PM

I agree with you on looking awful. I would be embarassed too.

GSU looks like they are back.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 25th, 2010, 08:48 PM
Jaybo Shaw is a legit passer. We will be more balanced than we were under any of the the Paul Johnson and Mike Sewak quarterbacks. On top of that, most of our slotbacks played WR in high school so they have the skills to be good go-to guys downfield. GSU may actually have more passing yards this year than last, which is kind of pathetic. The drawback is that Jaybo Shaw isn't quite quick enough to bust open a lot of big plays.

And yeah, GSU's got good defensive ends. Several of them.

Aaron Mellette (#3) for Elon is going to be a good one. He isn't a Hudgins but he could be the best receiver in the conference outside Hillary and Mims. Elon still needs to find a running back though.

Also, it was disappointing to see we got the "App. State treatment" from the Elon players as well. Wow. I haven't seen a SoCon team play that dirty in a while.

PaladinFan
September 25th, 2010, 08:59 PM
App, Furman, and GSU on top of the SoCon. All is right with the world.

ASU3481
September 25th, 2010, 09:08 PM
Well he ran back and took the knee then got up. then the elon player hit him. dont tell me its cause he was running around cause the play was dead before that hit.. Good job GSU. its good to see the BIG 3 back on top!

JRCA
September 25th, 2010, 09:29 PM
I'll go ahead and say it in public, as I have been saying it in private since our current coach came on board; I am sick of the personal fouls and cheap shots. This crap has cost us games in the past few years, and more importantly does not reflect well on what a fantastic University that this team represents. I put the blame on the coaching staff. It bothers me a great deal that this type of immature conduct soils the name of such a fine institution. Personal fouls happen from time to time for all teams, but when it becomes and every game event, somebody should be in the AD's office Sunday morning.

Did this type of thing go on when Limbo was at Lehigh? I have no idea. I do know where the buck stops, and that is at Lembo's feet.

I know other Elon fans may be upset with me for making this post. The University does so many thing with class and integrity; I do not want a segment of the population to have a negative impression of Elon because of unsportsmanlike actions on the football field.

So come on Coach, teach your kids to play with class. I am tired of defending this behavior to my Southern Conf. friends and foes.

Go Phoenix!

mrklean
September 25th, 2010, 09:39 PM

AMEN to That!

SideLine Shooter
September 25th, 2010, 09:46 PM
Jaybo Shaw is a legit passer. We will be more balanced than we were under any of the the Paul Johnson and Mike Sewak quarterbacks. On top of that, most of our slotbacks played WR in high school so they have the skills to be good go-to guys downfield. GSU may actually have more passing yards this year than last, which is kind of pathetic. The drawback is that Jaybo Shaw isn't quite quick enough to bust open a lot of big plays.

And yeah, GSU's got good defensive ends. Several of them.

Aaron Mellette (#3) for Elon is going to be a good one. He isn't a Hudgins but he could be the best receiver in the conference outside Hillary and Mims. Elon still needs to find a running back though.

Also, it was disappointing to see we got the "App. State treatment" from the Elon players as well. Wow. I haven't seen a SoCon team play that dirty in a while.

Are you serious? Did somebody else see that? Amazing!!!

Eaglesrus
September 25th, 2010, 10:11 PM
Thanks for the positive comments folks. Our guys appear to have gained a lot of confidence over the last three weeks. Lee Banks, who is essentially our 4th string B-back playing due to three injuries, had 120 yards tonight. Coach needs to keep them grounded and focused, but he has given the impression that he's a guy that can do that.

straightshooter
September 25th, 2010, 10:29 PM
Here's the scary part. Monken is playing a boatload of true freshmen. That bodes well for the future, and the more those kids play in this offense and defense, the better they're going to be. The TO is all about repetition. Look for GSU to keep getting better as the year progresses.

SoCon48
September 25th, 2010, 10:56 PM
Here's the scary part. Monken is playing a boatload of true freshmen. That bodes well for the future, and the more those kids play in this offense and defense, the better they're going to be. The TO is all about repetition. Look for GSU to keep getting better as the year progresses.

GSU has just replaced Elon on the list of SoCon games I fear most.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 25th, 2010, 11:01 PM
GSU has just replaced Elon on the list of SoCon games I fear most.

I've got a feeling the GSU-ASU game is going to be absolutely epic this year.

gophoenix
September 25th, 2010, 11:02 PM
I'll go ahead and say it in public, as I have been saying it in private since our current coach came on board; I am sick of the personal fouls and cheap shots. This crap has cost us games in the past few years, and more importantly does not reflect well on what a fantastic University that this team represents. I put the blame on the coaching staff. It bothers me a great deal that this type of immature conduct soils the name of such a fine institution. Personal fouls happen from time to time for all teams, but when it becomes and every game event, somebody should be in the AD's office Sunday morning.

Did this type of thing go on when Limbo was at Lehigh? I have no idea. I do know where the buck stops, and that is at Lembo's feet.

I know other Elon fans may be upset with me for making this post. The University does so many thing with class and integrity; I do not want a segment of the population to have a negative impression of Elon because of unsportsmanlike actions on the football field.

So come on Coach, teach your kids to play with class. I am tired of defending this behavior to my Southern Conf. friends and foes.

Go Phoenix!

I'm with you. The personal fouls have got to stop.

At least the big 3 are back so the fans at those schools can start talking about how the rest of us suck so bad. Back to be at pre-2005 levels again.

Honestly, not sure we'll win another game this year with play like today!

CropDuster
September 25th, 2010, 11:07 PM
Some stats from the game:

Jaybo 8/12 129 passing

Banks 25/121
Robinson 13/92
Hickey 4/63
Robinson 4/42 1 TD
Tobi 9/34
JJ 3/22
McKinnon 2/12
Wilson 1/10
Jaybo 9 (-10) 2 TD

Receiving
JJ 2/51
Tyler 2/27
Williford 2/26
Butler 2/25

GSU 508 total yards
10/17 on 3rd
3/3 on 4th

TOP: 38:37 - 20:27

Riddle: 25/45 322 3 TD 2 INT
Team 9 yards rushing.

SouthernMan
September 25th, 2010, 11:17 PM
Some stats from the game:

(Elon) Team 9 yards rushing.

And two weeks to prepare for Woffie. Wish it was next week!!!

crabby terrier
September 26th, 2010, 12:57 AM
And two weeks to prepare for Woffie. Wish it was next week!!!

i assure you we will rush for much more!

GO TERRIERS!!!

gsu1moretime
September 26th, 2010, 03:53 AM
All I know is that gsu was on there third and forth fullbacks with Tobi A and Lee Banks... and for them to be in and the game still be that good. Great coaching... ans discipline

proasu89
September 26th, 2010, 07:21 AM
I've got a feeling the GSU-ASU game is going to be absolutely epic this year.

Looking forward to seeing it in person!

jhbeagle
September 26th, 2010, 07:57 AM
The blocking looked much better than it did the last two games....Defense has played very well....But the Oline, A-Backs, and WR's block much better in this game than in the last two.

OL FU
September 26th, 2010, 08:17 AM
Only one observation.

uh ohxeekx

eaglesrthe1
September 26th, 2010, 08:43 AM
i assure you we will rush for much more!

GO TERRIERS!!!

Perhaps Wofford will manage to run as well as Navy did. (109).

Guess
September 26th, 2010, 09:40 AM

Go Phoenix!

Um, congrats to GSU and I am not trying to hijack a thread, but didn't the Elon baseball team engage in an altercation last spring? I think it's Lembo's fault the way the football team behaves, but other Elon squads have done some soiling of their own. Lastly, Riddle's leadership is somewhat questionable as he is member of both squads.

PaladinFan
September 26th, 2010, 10:01 AM
Only one observation.

uh ohxeekx

Make a good point. If Elon can't stop the run, they are in for a long season. Wofford, App, Furman, and the Citadel are all run-first teams.

Saint3333
September 26th, 2010, 10:22 AM
Elon's secondary is also very young, I think their entire defense is in a rebuilding mode, I believe all four starters in their secondary are either freshman or sophomores. Elon as a program has made huge strides in the last four years, but like most programs making that transition (especially so quickly) they typically have a couple down years as their young talent (recruited during the upswing years) take a couple years to gain the needed experience. Some programs find a way to break this streak others fall into a trend of a playoff team every 3-4 years. In my opinion this is a good problem for Elon to have based upon what their fans endured in during the early and mid 2000's. They do however need to learn to win and lose in a classy manner, which even the Elon fans have recently come to realize.

GaSouthern
September 26th, 2010, 10:36 AM

I must spread some reputation around :(

GSC75
September 26th, 2010, 10:40 AM
Elon< class
Elon has beaten GSU for the last three years - the last time Elon beat GSU at Paulson, the Elon players grouped up in the center of the field chanting "OUR HOUSE" over and over - I think we could have easily scored another TD last night with a few seconds left right after the personal foul, hitting our QB while he was on one knee and coming up - play was dead... our guys were ready... there were several more late hits, etc., that weren't called during the game - as I said - we could have scored again, no doubt could have made a field goal, but our coach showed some class and we continued to line up in the "victory formation".

GaSouthern
September 26th, 2010, 10:40 AM
I thought the Elon players played classy the entire game until they realized that they had no chance at the win.

The reason our offense looks so great is simple, Jaybo Shaw... he has been doing it in college for two years and won a couple of games at tech as the lead guy.

Our defense is the best they have been since 2003 when I was a freshman. Our defense is prob in the top 3 in the conference this year.

We have a couple of really big games coming up but I know Monken will not overlook Wofford, the team that has been a monkey on our back for some time now... just like Elon was.

GaSouthern
September 26th, 2010, 10:43 AM
Only one observation.

uh ohxeekx

I will be pissed if the GSU-FU game is not televised this year, it seems we both have two great teams thus far.

seantaylor
September 26th, 2010, 11:02 AM
That was some of the worst officiating I've ever seen last night. No less than 5 blatant late hits on Elon were ignored. Terrible.

Keenan
September 26th, 2010, 11:13 AM

I have all three in Top 10

DX Man
September 26th, 2010, 01:45 PM
That was some of the worst officiating I've ever seen last night. No less than 5 blatant late hits on Elon were ignored. Terrible.

Welcome to the club! Everyone thought we've been making up the stories about the late hits. LOL

Blueandwhitefightfight
September 26th, 2010, 02:54 PM
I thought the Elon players played classy the entire game until they realized that they had no chance at the win.

Really? Despite
- the personal fouls (some of which were called and some of which the refs didn't see)
- the late hits on Jaybo. Yea, it's going to happen in the triple option but there were some that happened 2-3 seconds after he got rid of the ball.
- when Scott Riddle got sacked by Brent Russell, got up, and then slapped Brent in the facemask
- and the most obvious personal foul I've seen this season in any game I've watched (SoCon, SEC, PAC-10, or whoever else is playing), at the end in the victory formation a frusterated Elon player popping Jaybo after he took a knee and after the whistle

Sorry bro, that's just poor. Even the past 4 years when we were awful we atleast kept it classy. And when we won tonight, we kept it classy.

Elon, and most importantly Scott Riddle, are undisciplined and are really hurting the public image of Elon. I know it's a great academic institution but their athletic dept. is looking subpar, like some of the Elon guys have said.

Scott Riddle was the one who started the fight at the SoCon baseball tourny last year. Then he was talking trash all game and even slapped our d-lineman in the facemask. Our guys were helping him up after we sacked him all night.

I think karma is going to catch up to Elon and sink this ship to the middle or bottom of the SoCon this year. They are too cocky and make stupid mistakes because of it.

JRCA
September 26th, 2010, 03:02 PM
Um, congrats to GSU and I am not trying to hijack a thread, but didn't the Elon baseball team engage in an altercation last spring? I think it's Lembo's fault the way the football team behaves, but other Elon squads have done some soiling of their own. Lastly, Riddle's leadership is somewhat questionable as he is member of both squads.

Yes there was an incident with the baseball team vs Citidel last season. But there is not a systemic problem with Coach Kennedy's team. There is with our football team the past few years. I as a lover of all things Elon want it fixed asap. I love the University more than I could put in words. It provided me with the education I needed to have a very successful career and gave me friendships that will last a life time.

In my Elon days, long ago. Elon was national champs in football (yeah, I know NAIA) but it was awesome. Our team under the great leadership of Jerry Tolley (and a heck of a running back in Bobby Hedrick), was the epitome of class. I hope that type of team returns to our campus again. All it takes is a little leadership and some tough love. Come on, Phoenix it can happen! Bench a few guys for a game and this stuff will stop!

The season is not over. I pray we get it together soon. The Def. secondary is very green. If we do not win in Boone in two weeks, I have to wear an ASU shirt all day at work. Lord help me if this happens. All in good fun with my boss, but come on, all day in an ASU shirt...the horror, the horror.

Go Phoenix!

National Champs 1980, 1981
Elon Fighting Christians

Mntneer
September 26th, 2010, 03:40 PM
I think karma is going to catch up to Elon and sink this ship to the middle or bottom of the SoCon this year. They are too cocky and make stupid mistakes because of it.

Has nothing to do with late hits, but I predicted a bad SoCon showing for Elon after they failed to get it done vs Richmond last weekend. And it's interesting to hear the tone of Elon fans change now that fans of teams other than ASU are complaining about the other shenanigans...

Blueandwhitefightfight
September 26th, 2010, 03:55 PM
Has nothing to do with late hits, but I predicted a bad SoCon showing for Elon after they failed to get it done vs Richmond last weekend. And it's interesting to hear the tone of Elon fans change now that fans of teams other than ASU are complaining about the other shenanigans...

You can't say it has nothing to do with late hits. They cause 15 yard personal foul penalties. Elon handed us some field position on which we scored because of a couple last night.

I was joking about the karma, but honestly playing undisciplined does cost them yards.

I agree with you about Elon. After Richmond last week I knew we should be able to take care of them if we played well. It just so happened we played lights out and they played worse than any Elon team I've seen since 2005. They are going to have their hands full on AND off the field this year from the looks of it.

I feel bad for their fans. They are some of the greatest in the SoCon.

proasu89
September 26th, 2010, 04:26 PM
If we do not win in Boone in two weeks, I have to wear an ASU shirt all day at work.

You will secretly like it and start wearing it at home. xlolx

elon77
September 26th, 2010, 05:28 PM
After sitting in the rain last year watching GSU and Elon play, I made the statement that I thought GSU was too good to be losing like they were. In my opinion they were very, very close to being a very good team and there had to be an underlying problem in the program. I knew when their new coach was announced they could and would be very good, pretty darn fast. I believe Lembo said in his weekly Socon meeting with the media that GSU is a very good football team now. It seems Pete and yours truly knew what they were talking about. Don't count Elon out just yet, they could still surprise a few people. Good luck to GSU the rest of the way. We need to regroup.

McNeese75
September 26th, 2010, 05:33 PM
I was able to watch part of the replay late last night and all I have to say is "The Option is Back!!!". It looked like the Eagles of old out there.xthumbsupx

JRCA
September 26th, 2010, 05:50 PM
If we do not win in Boone in two weeks, I have to wear an ASU shirt all day at work.

You will secretly like it and start wearing it at home. xlolx

No offense, my friend, but what I do with it when I get home will not be wear it! But this is what makes college football so much fun, isn't it, the love, the rivalries, the joy and the despair. The South comes alive on a Saturday afternoon in the fall; it is magical!

I don't think I can ever forgive ASU for trying to stop Elon from Southern Conference admission years ago. Elon is a fantastic academic institution. I hope our sports programs continue to improve over the next few years. We have a fine basketball and baseball coaching staff. I guess I like Lembo, he has improved the team a geat deal. I'd prefer a coach from the south to be our football coach, I know that may be silly, but I like a good running game. I guess I'm kind of old school in that regard.

No offense to you ASU guys, I didn't post on here for years because of all the caustic stuff pointed toward my Alma Mater. I didn't want to be involved in pissing matches. I only started posting lately because the conversations have been pretty darn civil. I am also very bothered by our image in football right now. That image is certainly not indicative of the University as a whole.

Gosh, do I love Elon! I want them to be tops in everything, but even more, I want them to be represented in the proper manner in every aspect: Academics, athletics, service and in the grand tradition of our University!

Now come on Elon, I want to see my boss in an Elon Shirt come Monday Oct, 11.

Go Phoenix!

NAIA National Champions in Football 1980 & 1981
Elon Fighting Christians

Mntneer
September 26th, 2010, 06:17 PM
I'd wager heavily that any objection ASU had to Elon joining the SoCon was predicated on the fact that Elon is (another) small private school with very little in common with ASU, and nothing "personal". Is this the source of the vitriol from Elon fans?

GaSouthern
September 26th, 2010, 07:05 PM
I was able to watch part of the replay late last night and all I have to say is "The Option is Back!!!". It looked like the Eagles of old out there.xthumbsupx

Hey, i'm still mad at you for the 2004(?) season home opener! ;)

JRCA
September 26th, 2010, 07:20 PM
I'd wager heavily that any objection ASU had to Elon joining the SoCon was predicated on the fact that Elon is (another) small private school with very little in common with ASU, and nothing "personal". Is this the source of the vitriol from Elon fans?

Mtneer,

I could not speak for other Elon fans, but that is my source. Of course you must remember, ASU has been at the top of the SoCon for a number of years, just that fact alone make you guys a target for other conf. members. There is a reason lots of people hate the NY Yankees, the Cowboys (of old), and the USA. Being on top puts a bulls-eye on your back. I don't think Elon and ASU will really be a rivalry until the Phoenix actually beat you guys.

I will take exception that Elon is a small private college. With over 5,650 students I would say it is mid-sized to even large for a private southern University. Our University has about 1,000 to 1,400 less students than Wake Forest. Elon is larger than Richmond and about the same size as W&M. Elon doesn't do anything half way; just give us a little more time. We are making great strides in athletics. The transition from NAIA to DII to DI-FCS isn't an easy one. We are doing fine and I am proud of our efforts thus far.

I am very aware of the public vs private controversy in the SoCon. I like the diversity of the conference. I think the private universities hold up their part of the conference just fine. I would love for VMI to come home to the SoCon, even though they are struggling in athletics lately. the VMI-THE Citadel rivalry is to great to not exist anymore! Davidson in basketball (though I wish they played football in the SoCon), Wofford, Furman and to some extent Elon in Football, and baseball the privates do just fine. The minor sports (no offense to them) like tennis. golf, soccer, etc the privates also do just fine.

I am very happy for Elon to be in the Southern Conference. I am glad we did not take the offer for the Colonial Conference, as was rumored to be offered the year before we were excepted into the SoCon. When I think of football, I think two things, the Southern and the SEC. The fact is FCS football is just better than FBS. We do championship playoffs just right.

Sorry to ramble, but I just love college football and Elon so, so much.

Go Phoenix!

Nation Champions in football '80 & '81
Elon Fighting Christians

McNeese75
September 26th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Hey, i'm still mad at you for the 2004(?) season home opener! ;)

xlolx It was 2005 by the way but seriously, I was impressed with GSU last night.

Baldy
September 26th, 2010, 08:48 PM
After sitting in the rain last year watching GSU and Elon play, I made the statement that I thought GSU was too good to be losing like they were. In my opinion they were very, very close to being a very good team and there had to be an underlying problem in the program. I knew when their new coach was announced they could and would be very good, pretty darn fast. I believe Lembo said in his weekly Socon meeting with the media that GSU is a very good football team now. It seems Pete and yours truly knew what they were talking about. Don't count Elon out just yet, they could still surprise a few people. Good luck to GSU the rest of the way. We need to regroup.
The truth is that we were a weak (strength & conditioning wise) football team last season. Our miserable performance during the App game proved that point. Monken stated in an interview during the spring that not one player on the team could hang clean 300lbs when he was hired, and given out reputation, that was embarrassing. He continued on and said that by the time spring practice started 30 players were then at or over 300lbs.

Strength and conditioning is an often overlooked aspect of the game, but when looking at the big picture, it is probably the most important.

seantaylor
September 27th, 2010, 12:14 AM
And we were very poorly coached. We easily had one of the very worst staffs in the country. Nepotism and high school flames throughout. This year, I believe our staff, from top to bottom, is as good as any.

gophoenix
September 27th, 2010, 06:43 AM
Is this the source of the vitriol from Elon fans?

No, but that didn't help it. Like Saint has said, there is a very vocal minority of App fans on the net who are the source of that for most of us; dating back to Independent and Big South days. And that sentiment from those few fans has spread into the voices of the fan base and expanded over the years.

Besides, on one hand, you could make the case that Elon has nothing in common with anyone else in the conference save Davidson (in the fact that those two are the only ones that heavily recruit from the Northeast and Midwest as opposed to the South). And you'd think that App would have had a problem with Wofford, Furman or The Citadel too, if it was a problem with a private school. And honestly, using the private school excuse is getting just a bit old..... the problem runs deeper.....

gophoenix
September 27th, 2010, 06:54 AM
So, let me get this straight, if late hits weren't called; then they weren't late hits. Done. That argument is over.

Late hit on the QB taking a knee. Bad. That crap needs to stop.

Talking about the GSU guys helping Riddle up. I watched the game too. Elon players were helping your guys up too. As dirty as you make us sound, you wouldn't think that was happening. I didn't see GSU players helping up Elon players THAT much.

So essentially the same thing here is what a bunch of App fans have done. Taken two or three things, blown it out of proportion to dictate that a program is dirty or not.

Baldy
September 27th, 2010, 07:12 AM
So, let me get this straight, if late hits weren't called; then they weren't late hits. Done. That argument is over.

Really?

So if the officials miss a call, then it really didn't happen?
Please tell that to Brent Russell's face mask.

Anyway, had the "pleasure" of meeting Riddle's dad Saturday night.
Now I can certainly see where he gets it.
All class. xrotatehx

elon77
September 27th, 2010, 07:12 AM
Elon's secondary is also very young, I think their entire defense is in a rebuilding mode, I believe all four starters in their secondary are either freshman or sophomores. Elon as a program has made huge strides in the last four years, but like most programs making that transition (especially so quickly) they typically have a couple down years as their young talent (recruited during the upswing years) take a couple years to gain the needed experience. Some programs find a way to break this streak others fall into a trend of a playoff team every 3-4 years. In my opinion this is a good problem for Elon to have based upon what their fans endured in during the early and mid 2000's. They do however need to learn to win and lose in a classy manner, which even the Elon fans have recently come to realize.

they started 2 true freshman, a rs-freshman, and a sophmore who I believe was a lb last year. Not making an excuse, but that is awfull young in the secondary to be going against a good option team. No excuse, nor sour grapes because there are other problems, but they are very young in the secondary.

ElonPride
September 27th, 2010, 07:47 AM

I certainly hope this is the case. My parents were in town over the weekend, and we were keeping up every now and then with live stats. I pulled the game back up in the 4th quarter and thought, "Well, we suck again."

I can't comment on the personal fouls in this game, but it's apparent this is becoming a trend of a team that I will no longer follow if it keeps up.

So it looks like our "motto" so to speak from seasons' past, may creep in this year......"Can't wait until baseball season."xlolx

AppStsGr8
September 27th, 2010, 07:48 AM
Really?

All class. xrotatehx

I've heard stories from several sectors about Riddle's father. Thankfully, I've never had the pleasure of meeting him.

I have to agree with previous posts in this thread that Elon is a fine institution for the right students and that the tone of the football team is detracting from an otherwise good school. I'm hoping no App players end up hurt from the types of play I've seen in the past few years from Elon.

PaladinFan
September 27th, 2010, 07:52 AM
they started 2 true freshman, a rs-freshman, and a sophmore who I believe was a lb last year. Not making an excuse, but that is awfull young in the secondary to be going against a good option team. No excuse, nor sour grapes because there are other problems, but they are very young in the secondary.

Unfortunately for Elon, GSU's passing offense isn't going to be the best they will face this season. App, Furman, and UTC can all air it out.

gophoenix
September 27th, 2010, 07:58 AM
Really?

All class. xrotatehx

I'm sure you met with the Riddles. Just like I am sure everything we all read on a message board is true. In other words, whatever!!! There's no reason to believe you!

Sure, officials can miss a call. However, officials don't miss 5 calls. If 5 similar things happen and aren't called, then they didn't happen.

gophoenix
September 27th, 2010, 08:01 AM
I've heard stories from several sectors about Riddle's father. Thankfully, I've never had the pleasure of meeting him.

I have to agree with previous posts in this thread that Elon is a fine institution for the right students and that the tone of the football team is detracting from an otherwise good school. I'm hoping no App players end up hurt from the types of play I've seen in the past few years from Elon.

So essentially more fodder... you hope your players don't get hurt from stuff that happens every game with teams all over the country. Going back and reading articles for the past 3 seasons; Elon has lost 12 guys in the games vs App. App has lost 1 (2 if you count an Edwards who played the next game that was then blamed on Elon in the playoffs). Is this really the argument you want to make?

gophoenix
September 27th, 2010, 08:02 AM
I certainly hope this is the case. My parents were in town over the weekend, and we were keeping up every now and then with live stats. I pulled the game back up in the 4th quarter and thought, "Well, we suck again."

I can't comment on the personal fouls in this game, but it's apparent this is becoming a trend of a team that I will no longer follow if it keeps up.

So it looks like our "motto" so to speak from seasons' past, may creep in this year......"Can't wait until baseball season."xlolx

And yes, we suck again. I am starting to think Lembo is pulling a Lehigh on us. He brought us up, couldn't maintain, couldn't pull out big wins and it's now all falling apart.

asu3peat
September 27th, 2010, 08:19 AM
Elon has lost 12 guys in the games vs App. App has lost 1...

What most fans are saying is that the "cheap shots" have a higher chance to cause injuries because players aren't expecting them. Elon's 12 injuries came off good clean punishing hits. I believe #42 Frazier put 2 of your guys out last year by himself with solid tackling. I've never been one to accuse Elon of cheap shotting AE. Though it does make one raise an eyebrow when your star QB gets injured by the same team 2 years running but I digress. After seeing some of the BS your players pulled against GSU it reinforces the "fodder".

"Sure, officials can miss a call. However, officials don't miss 5 calls. If 5 similar things happen and aren't called, then they didn't happen."

The camera doesn't lie. Just because refs don't call it doesn't mean it didn't happen...it means it wasn't called.

elon77
September 27th, 2010, 08:22 AM
Talk about bailing on your team! Loose to a FCS team, not a great one but still FCS, by 14, to a pretty good Richmond team in OT, and have one bad game against a good team at their place, and now Elon sucks????????????????????????????????????? Hmmmmmm, interesting.

elon77
September 27th, 2010, 08:26 AM
All three looses have been on the road. Just about all new defensive backfield, top two RB's are hurt, and new faces on the offensive line. Let's give them a few more games before saying they suck. You might be right, but give them a little more time.

Baldy
September 27th, 2010, 08:31 AM
I'm sure you met with the Riddles. Just like I am sure everything we all read on a message board is true. In other words, whatever!!! There's no reason to believe you!

Sure, officials can miss a call. However, officials don't miss 5 calls. If 5 similar things happen and aren't called, then they didn't happen.
Never said I met with the Riddles, just happened to "meet" his dad.
Don't care if you believe me or not, but I'm sure he is a nice guy when his son isn't getting pounded into the turf and Elon isn't losing by 3TD's. xlolx

straightshooter
September 27th, 2010, 09:11 AM
All three looses have been on the road. Just about all new defensive backfield, top two RB's are hurt, and new faces on the offensive line. Let's give them a few more games before saying they suck. You might be right, but give them a little more time.

Your top RB played quite a bit in the game. GSU is playing a totally new defense and only starts two seniors. Most of the starting D consists of either true freshmen or sophomores. The backups are true freshmen.

GSU is playing a totally different offense from what any of these kids have ever played, except QB Jaybo Shaw. Lee Banks, the FB who gashed Elon for 121 yards is a walkon and is the 4th string back. The A backs are all true freshmen or sophomores. WR are all true freshmen or sophomores. Two of the OL starters are true freshmen. Another was the backup long snapper last season, who saw no playing time.

Looks like it was youth against youth on Saturday.

PhoenixMan
September 27th, 2010, 09:24 AM
Talk about bailing on your team! Loose to a FCS team, not a great one but still FCS, by 14, to a pretty good Richmond team in OT, and have one bad game against a good team at their place, and now Elon sucks????????????????????????????????????? Hmmmmmm, interesting.

I don't think Elon sucks. A few observations 1) Without Riddle, we would suck. 2) They HAVE to start running the football more and better. A.J. Harris needs 10-15 touches a game, whether passes or other means. 3) The defense simply isn't good enough right now to get it done in the big games. As for the big picture.....Lembo has brought the program a long ways, but has proven that he can't win a big game. Look at the big games that could have made a difference in the program: App St. two years ago up there (let it slip away) and last year at Rhodes Stadium (huge let down from the beginning of the game on). Wake Forest last year, and Duke this year. Made to look awful by Wake, and never really threatening at Duke. Richmond last year in the playoff game....should have won, choked. Richmond this year...ditto. Do they suck? No. Can Lembo win a big game when it matters? No. At least not yet.

JDC325
September 27th, 2010, 10:17 AM
Cautiously optimistic, still a long way to go. Elon has proven to be at least a good team and hang with top 25 teams so the win means something but there is a long way to go before we can state we are back. When I see home playoff games again I will be convinced.

GlassOnion
September 27th, 2010, 10:17 AM

Watch the game again without the maroon glasses.

Good for the rest of you Elon fans, pressure Lembo, fix the problem, stay proud.

gophoenix
September 27th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Watch the game again without the maroon glasses.

Good for the rest of you Elon fans, pressure Lembo, fix the problem, stay proud.

I'll repeat just to be clear. Personal Fouls are called, they should be fixed, they happen far too often.

To complain about the same thing over and over, if it isn't called (and happens multiple times) then it is a legal hit. Once, I can see a missed call. Five times, no. It's fan whining at that point.

straightshooter
September 27th, 2010, 11:39 AM
An official has to see it to call it. Some cheap shots are never noticed by the refs. They often happen under a pile after a play.

gophoenix
September 27th, 2010, 12:19 PM
An official has to see it to call it. Some cheap shots are never noticed by the refs. They often happen under a pile after a play.

Remind me again, how many officials are there in a game? If it happened, so many times, how is it none of them saw it?

2 Personal Fouls by Elon, 1 of which was not bad 1 of which was the hit on the QB. Not unlike many teams (again, I don't like it, it needs to come under control). And blocking in the back penalties 1 by Elon, 1 by GSU.

Not exactly the out of control game that you guys want to spin it.

I stand by my statement, if something happens repeatedly and no official called it, then it is fan whining and not a real penalty. Like all the stuff App fans complain about.

I don't see UTC, Furman, Wofford, The Citadel, Samford, Western, Duke, Richmond, Wake Forest, Davidson, Presbyterian, Liberty or Stony Brook fans perform this level of complaining that some GSU and App fans seem to do when a game isn't 100% like they like it; especially after a win.

SideLine Shooter
September 27th, 2010, 12:24 PM
Remind me again, how many officials are there in a game? If it happened, so many times, how is it none of them saw it?

2 Personal Fouls by Elon, 1 of which was not bad 1 of which was the hit on the QB. Not unlike many teams (again, I don't like it, it needs to come under control). And blocking in the back penalties 1 by Elon, 1 by GSU.

Not exactly the out of control game that you guys want to spin it.

I stand by my statement, if something happens repeatedly and no official called it, then it is fan whining and not a real penalty. Like all the stuff App fans complain about.

I don't see UTC, Furman, Wofford, The Citadel, Samford, Western, Duke, Richmond, Wake Forest, Davidson, Presbyterian, Liberty or Stony Brook fans perform this level of complaining that some GSU and App fans seem to do when a game isn't 100% like they like it; especially after a win.

Or an injury that resulted from repeated late hits. I believe 3 or 4 were called and several not called. If 3 were called, then to me it is pretty obvious that they were intentional late hits.

But that is just my opinion.

gophoenix
September 27th, 2010, 06:36 PM
Or an injury that resulted from repeated late hits. I believe 3 or 4 were called and several not called. If 3 were called, then to me it is pretty obvious that they were intentional late hits.

But that is just my opinion.

From the play by play summary, only one was called. Actually most of the penalties called were false starts, followed by block in the back, one late hit on QB and one hit out of bounds (both on Elon, of which the last was one of those calls that every team has when they hit someone that may or may not be running out of bounds).

Saint3333
September 27th, 2010, 06:55 PM
GP - used to stand for go phoenix, now I believe it may stand for "glutten for punishment". I'd like to share one of my favorite quotes and I only say this jokingly:

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Ben Franklin

blueballs
September 27th, 2010, 07:15 PM
I watched the beatdown GA Southern gave the p-HOE-nix the other night. Ain't too much to like about that if you're rooting for Elon, Southern beat them with a strong pimp hand.

I think my favorite play was on a toss sweep in the third quarter, #19 for Southern decleated this poor little skinny somali looking DB for Elon, knocked him about three feet up off the ground and six feet back, then stepped on his chest as he ran over him looking for some other poor soul to abuse. Looked like the late 90's version of GaSo. That DB from Elon might want to try another sport that ain't as painful or embarrassing after that. Lord knows his mama, family, cuzzins and all his friends done seen it TV too!!!!!

And how about the QB- yes the same QB who started the brawl at the baseball tourney in the spring- slapping the GS nose tackle? That number 66 (or 64 after he went all Hulk Hogan on their azzes and tore his shirt off and had to get a new one) ain't nothing but big and nasty. Hell, he was regularly whuppin two and three blockers all night and Riddle is going to slap HIM????? Son!!! There's a thin line between stupidity and valor and that ain't exactly straddling it.

Looks like it's about time for Lembo to limbo on off like he did at Lehigh and seek greener pastures, because after that QB is gone it is going to be a rough time for the p-HOE-nix, and I'd bet ole' Petey ain't gonna stick around and go down with the ship when he can leave with his reputation intact and farm some more cabbage with another program.

Sucks for y'all p-HOE-nix but that's life son. Deal with it.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 27th, 2010, 07:18 PM
It's funny to hear the Elon fans talking about Lembo not being able to win the big game. That was his downfall at Lehigh and it seems to be dogging him still.

GSC75
September 27th, 2010, 07:44 PM
not talking about JUST the late hits called - the guys in the pressbox were making comments about late hits, too... there were several... i watched the game later on TV and cannot believe more were not called - #66 Russell had his jersey torn to hell from all the holding on him..

whoanellie
September 27th, 2010, 08:59 PM
Yep I guess We will just have to get better next week and win vs Stamford and then get it all together and pull the monumental upset vs ASU Oct 9th.
it will be tough as the 'neers took their bye week to prepare for us but it will make our season to pullitoff.

1. GSU has great team speed, DEs were in Elon's backfield all night
2. The triple option is back and almost up to speed, this is scary for week 4
3. Elon's loses on the offensive line are bigger than expected, no rush attack, even in the first half when the game was tight
4. Elon has some nice young WRs, #3 is going to be all conference at least twice during his career
5. I've never seen Riddle overthrow and underthrow so many balls (even against ASU)
6. Scaried thing I saw was GSU's ability to pass the ball, it could be due to the youth in Elon's secondary
7. GSU is back and potentially the big three may be

The overall question is has Elon's defense fallen as much as it looked tonight or is GSU's offense that good?

SideLine Shooter
September 27th, 2010, 09:06 PM
Yep I guess We will just have to get better next week and win vs Stamford and then get it all together and pull the monumental upset vs ASU Oct 9th.
it will be tough as the 'neers took their bye week to prepare for us but it will make our season to pullitoff.

I am not familiar with Stamford. Are they a DIII or DIIIIIII school? Please clue me in on Stamford.

PhoenixSupreme
September 27th, 2010, 09:16 PM
I am not familiar with Stamford. Are they a DIII or DIIIIIII school? Please clue me in on Stamford.

You didn't get the memo? We're playing some team in Connecticut this Saturday. I think we joined the NEC for the rest of the season so we could still get an autobid. (they do start getting an AQ this year don't they?)

SideLine Shooter
September 27th, 2010, 09:18 PM
You didn't get the memo? We're playing some team in Connecticut this Saturday. I think we joined the NEC for the rest of the season so we could still get an autobid. (they do start getting an AQ this year don't they?)

Thanks, and now I know "the rest of the story."

GaSouthern
September 27th, 2010, 09:34 PM
It's funny to hear the Elon fans talking about Lembo not being able to win the big game. That was his downfall at Lehigh and it seems to be dogging him still.

The worst thing in the world Elon fans could do is go Sewak on him this season, they have a good coach.

PhoenixSupreme
September 27th, 2010, 09:39 PM
The worst thing in the world Elon fans could do is go Sewak on him this season, they have a good coach.

Agreed, I hate it when fan pressure and other forms of pressure lead coaches to get fired based off of one bad year (or even after their first year of hiring). Give the coach a chance to turn it around before you write him off.

PhoenixMan
September 27th, 2010, 09:53 PM
Agreed, I hate it when fan pressure and other forms of pressure lead coaches to get fired based off of one bad year (or even after their first year of hiring). Give the coach a chance to turn it around before you write him off.

I'm far from writing them off...loss to an ACC team, a top 10 FCS on the road in OT, and ran up on a buzz saw that was ready to get after it at GSU. Lots of football left. That said....what do you consider turning it around? Win a few games in the conference, run the table, FCS playoffs 2nd round or further...? What is a turn around at this point. He has done a great job with the program. Keep in mind, the university and level of talent has improved significantly also as a result of going D1. Not just about Lembo, but he has been a big part of it. Still....crushed by Wake, loss to Duke, can't beat App St. at home with it all on the line (never even in the game) and two losses to UR, one in the playoffs. At what point does failure to win a big game become a problem for the university and football program? A great coach has his players play great in big games. Good coaches...not so much.

gophoenix
September 27th, 2010, 11:05 PM
I'm far from writing them off...loss to an ACC team, a top 10 FCS on the road in OT, and ran up on a buzz saw that was ready to get after it at GSU. Lots of football left. That said....what do you consider turning it around? Win a few games in the conference, run the table, FCS playoffs 2nd round or further...? What is a turn around at this point. He has done a great job with the program. Keep in mind, the university and level of talent has improved significantly also as a result of going D1. Not just about Lembo, but he has been a big part of it. Still....crushed by Wake, loss to Duke, can't beat App St. at home with it all on the line (never even in the game) and two losses to UR, one in the playoffs. At what point does failure to win a big game become a problem for the university and football program? A great coach has his players play great in big games. Good coaches...not so much.

A start, for me at least, would be doing it without the rampant penalties. I am not meaing a few penalties. I mean, we average a lot of penalties per game, and a lot of stupid personal fouls. A turn around now would be maintaining the sucess we've had, or close to it, with cleaner football games. Well played execution. And emotions being under control.

gophoenix
September 27th, 2010, 11:11 PM
GP - used to stand for go phoenix, now I believe it may stand for "glutten for punishment". I'd like to share one of my favorite quotes and I only say this jokingly:

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Ben Franklin

Cute Saint.

But try the definition on for yourself. You seem to post the same things like this over and over....

Saint3333
September 28th, 2010, 06:54 AM
No I've moved on, read what I write vs. assuming that other ASU posters speak for me.

elon77
September 28th, 2010, 10:10 AM

No, they probably want to get Hamilton back. Remember those years? I sure do.

PhoenixSupreme
September 28th, 2010, 10:15 AM

oh god no!

PhoenixMan
September 28th, 2010, 10:15 AM

As long as his son has used up his eligibility it could be OK.:)

elon77
September 28th, 2010, 10:29 AM
As long as his son has used up his eligibility it could be OK.:)

His son could be the offensive coordinator.

SpeedkingATL
September 28th, 2010, 10:42 AM
Got home from the ASU vs Samford game in time to catch the second half of the GSU vs Elon contest. It is hard to believe that this is the same GSU team I saw in Boone last year. It's been an amazing transformation, especially on defense. Elon had a lot of loses to graduation so a little drop off shouldn't be a surprise. Both teams are still capable of winning and ASU still has to play both. This is one year I wish GSU came to The Rock or that the game was earlier in the year. GSU is for real and Elon is still a very good football team. Lots of football still to be played.......

Baldy
September 28th, 2010, 01:32 PM
Got home from the ASU vs Samford game in time to catch the second half of the GSU vs Elon contest. It is hard to believe that this is the same GSU team I saw in Boone last year. It's been an amazing transformation, especially on defense. Elon had a lot of loses to graduation so a little drop off shouldn't be a surprise. Both teams are still capable of winning and ASU still has to play both. This is one year I wish GSU came to The Rock or that the game was earlier in the year. GSU is for real and Elon is still a very good football team. Lots of football still to be played.......

It's really no different than the transformation between App in 2004 and 2005. The 04 version of the Apps that came to Statesboro was, by far, the worst Mountaineer team I had ever seen.

PaladinFan
September 28th, 2010, 01:56 PM
It's really no different than the transformation between App in 2004 and 2005. The 04 version of the Apps that came to Statesboro was, by far, the worst Mountaineer team I had ever seen.

There is absolutely no doubt in college football, and particularly in the FCS, that having a good player running the offense can transform a program. We've seen that time and time again. Furman's 2003 squad had an incredible defense but couldn't move the football if the world depended on it. Ingle Martin shows up in 2005 and our offense went from terrible to national champion caliber with essentially the same players.

Same can be said for App when Richie Williams and Armanti Edwards took the reigns. I think the same goes for Jaybo Shaw at GSU. In the FCS, one player can completely change a program.

Eaglesrus
September 28th, 2010, 02:22 PM

Last year we had a very young defense. We still do, but several of the guys have a year of experience that they didn't have and that helps, of course. However, as I and others have said before, the biggest contributors to the turn around on our defense appear to be having changed back to a four man front and sacrificing some size for speed.

With all that, it's pretty obvious that there is no comparison between the job our current coaching staff is doing and the last couple of regimes (though I was really unhappy about the way the situation with Hatcher was handled). Multiple position changes on defense; they've taken the 2nd string long snapper, who didn't play last year, and made him possibly our best o-lineman, not to mention starting two true freshmen on the o-line. The list of things that these coaches have implemented seems to be unending, and pretty much all of them seem to be paying off.

gophoenix
September 28th, 2010, 02:42 PM
No I've moved on, read what I write vs. assuming that other ASU posters speak for me.

Numerous times this year you've posted that lecturing stuff about posts I make. It's fine, but take your own advice since you keep posting that stuff. At least mine is about football.

Eagle22
September 28th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Brent Rusell, Dion DuBose, Derek Heyden and Laron Scott are the only defensive starters right now who started the game @ ASU in 2009. Five of the other seven have since graduated (Bower, Wylie, Benefield, Pasco, Wiggins). The other two, one was dismissed by Monken (Tavares Williams), and the other Hudson Presume, is still on the team (2nd string). Presume was the DB who was hurt seriously in the ASU game.

None of those players were slouches, and as I argued quite a bit last year, our defense wasn't actually as bad as statistically they appeared to be. Now granted, that wasn't the case vs. ASU that particular day, but overall they were better than the numbers suggested.

What absolutely killed us was our lack of offensive continuity, and the incessant three-n-outs, or drives to nowhere. Our defense was behind the 8-ball the whole 2009 season. They were continually out on the field.

The returning four starters, plus Presume, is a heck of a core for the GSU defense. All are sophomores, with the exception of Laron Scott (Junior). Toss in some talented freshman (Josh Gebhardt, Carlos Cave, Javonte Martin, Javon Mention), a senior CB (Carson Hill) and a couple of transfers (John Douglas and Terico Agnew) and we are looking pretty good.

Waco Kid
September 29th, 2010, 09:29 AM
So essentially more fodder... you hope your players don't get hurt from stuff that happens every game with teams all over the country. Going back and reading articles for the past 3 seasons; Elon has lost 12 guys in the games vs App. App has lost 1 (2 if you count an Edwards who played the next game that was then blamed on Elon in the playoffs). Is this really the argument you want to make?

All I know is our 4 year starting QB only had a knee injury 2 times in his career, and both of those came against Elon. I will admit that 1 Elon injury came as pay back for Edwards getting hurt for the second year in a row, but the others seemed to be the result of a championship level team being fired up and playing physical. There is a reson we have 5 SoCon Championships in a row while you guys fold in big games.

And yes, GSU seems to be headed in the right direction. I'm glad that we can get excited about playing them again, and not have to look at Wofford and Elon as the "big" games this season.

ElonPride
September 29th, 2010, 10:41 AM
All I know is our 4 year starting QB only had a knee injury 2 times in his career, and both of those came against Elon.

GOT TO CALL A BIG BS ON THIS STATEMENT (yet again)!!! Go back and read his bio on goasu.com. But, think what you will. You'll only keep writing this garbage anyway.

SoCon48
September 29th, 2010, 10:57 AM
All I know is our 4 year starting QB only had a knee injury 2 times in his career, and both of those came against Elon. I will admit that 1 Elon injury came as pay back for Edwards getting hurt for the second year in a row, but the others seemed to be the result of a championship level team being fired up and playing physical. There is a reson we have 5 SoCon Championships in a row while you guys fold in big games.

And yes, GSU seems to be headed in the right direction. I'm glad that we can get excited about playing them again, and not have to look at Wofford and Elon as the "big" games this season.

Guess it's just a coincidence. ;)

biggie
September 29th, 2010, 11:08 AM
GOT TO CALL A BIG BS ON THIS STATEMENT (yet again)!!! Go back and read his bio on goasu.com. But, think what you will. You'll only keep writing this garbage anyway.
I won't get into it too much, but what he said is true. The only knee injuries were vs Elon. Yes there were others (lawnmower-foot, preseason/Mich-shoulder, GSU-thumb), then hip pointer vs '07 Elon, when combined with the knee injury from the same game probably cost us the game vs Richmond (or at least kept it from being close) in the playoffs.

URMite
September 29th, 2010, 11:19 AM
I won't get into it too much, but what he said is true. The only knee injuries were vs Elon. Yes there were others (lawnmower-foot, preseason/Mich-shoulder, GSU-thumb), then hip pointer vs '07 Elon, when combined with the knee injury from the same game probably cost us the game vs Richmond (or at least kept it from being close) in the playoffs.

Maybe you meant '08? If AE had a knee injury and hip pointer against us in '07...then I don't want to see him healthy. xsmhx

ElonPride
September 29th, 2010, 11:21 AM
I won't get into it too much, but what he said is true. .

Nope! Try again....

'06 "Edwards suffered a mild knee injury in the draining triumph in Statesboro"

Mild....but still a knee injury. And proof positive of your and others libelous comments.

biggie
September 29th, 2010, 11:25 AM
Maybe you meant '08? If AE had a knee injury and hip pointer against us in '07...then I don't want to see him healthy. xsmhx
Indeed '08, could not run or turn correctly when throwing in '08. Getting old everything running together.

biggie
September 29th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Nope! Try again....

Mild....but still a knee injury. And proof positive of your and others libelous comments.
Guess should have said that kept him from playing or affected performance, after '08 and '09 Elon games he missed the next game due to injury.

SoCon48
September 29th, 2010, 12:02 PM
We're not the only ones noticing this kind of stuff now.

GlassOnion
September 29th, 2010, 12:13 PM
GP and EP blowin smoke again...
Where theres smoke, theres fire.

PhoenixMan
September 29th, 2010, 12:42 PM
Guess should have said that kept him from playing or affected performance, after '08 and '09 Elon games he missed the next game due to injury.

What a ridiculous conversation. Games in the past, and a player who has graduated. Furthermore, if it would give Elon a better chance to win a conference championship, they should try to rip his leg off at the hip. We aren't talking about chess, it's football. A war.

Waco Kid
September 29th, 2010, 12:51 PM

Trust me I remember all of his injuries quite well, and he only hurt his knee 2 times. Just face the facts that Limbo teaches your guys to take cheap shots. It's ok to admit it... everyone else knows it's true. After our 2007 game at Elon I was talking to someone involved with our team, and I mentioned that Elon seemed to take a few cheap shots (this was a year before AE knee injury #1) during the game. This person responded with something to the effect that everyone in the conference knows Elon is a dirty program. Since then I haven't seen anything to prove that statement wrong. Take that however you would like.

Waco Kid
September 29th, 2010, 12:58 PM
Nope! Try again....

Mild as in played the whole game and played the following week. That is just a LITTLE different than torn ligaments that end up requiring surgery.

Anyway, this thread is about GSU not our dislike for each others teams. Sorry Eagles!

ElonPride
September 29th, 2010, 01:19 PM
Mild as in played the whole game and played the following week. That is just a LITTLE different than torn ligaments that end up requiring surgery.

Anyway, this thread is about GSU not our dislike for each others teams. Sorry Eagles!

You said "knee injuries," and were easily proven wrong. Now you go and list other qualifiers to try and wipe free erroneous information you posted! He also injured himself in other games NOT versus Elon that lead to missed time. Sorry, but you just can't make statements like that and not expect a response!!!! He also injured himslef in preseason and ran over his own foot with a lawnmower. Guess Elon players were responsible for those instances......

PaladinFan
September 29th, 2010, 02:21 PM
You all talk about Armanti Edwards like he is suiting up on Saturday.

biggie
September 29th, 2010, 02:23 PM
You all talk about Armanti Edwards like he is suiting up on Saturday.
He is, for Michigan.

phan
September 29th, 2010, 06:15 PM
He is, for Michigan.

So thats where he went, I kept looking for him on Sunday but couldn't find him.

biggie
September 29th, 2010, 09:02 PM
So thats where he went, I kept looking for him on Sunday but couldn't find him.He's on a 53 man roster, how about Hudgins?

PaladinFan
September 30th, 2010, 06:49 AM

You're still actually watching Panther's games? :)

boonedocks
September 30th, 2010, 08:15 AM

You're still actually watching Panther's games? :)

Haha, i laughed at both of these.

gophoenix
September 30th, 2010, 08:48 AM
Trust me I remember all of his injuries quite well, and he only hurt his knee 2 times. Just face the facts that Limbo teaches your guys to take cheap shots. It's ok to admit it... everyone else knows it's true. After our 2007 game at Elon I was talking to someone involved with our team, and I mentioned that Elon seemed to take a few cheap shots (this was a year before AE knee injury #1) during the game. This person responded with something to the effect that everyone in the conference knows Elon is a dirty program. Since then I haven't seen anything to prove that statement wrong. Take that however you would like.

That's like saying something like this......

Everyone in the conference knows that App State runs a classless program. I was talking to an Elon official last year in the fact that Jerry Moore had his team run into the stadium while Terrell Hudgins was receiving his accolades and game ball presented by Rich McGeorge for breaking the Jerry Rice records. And the band played over it too. Jerry Moore and the President of the univerisyt constantly promote classless fan activities. The Elon official said that everyone in the conference knows it and brought up the running up the score vs Western and the the classless stuff at two NC games. Then the Elon guy laughed and said, he even tries to cover it up with his phony team prayers after the games.

See, even though this happened, none of this holds any weight because: it doesn't matter, it can't be verified, and it is a bunch of cry-baby BS that sounds made up.

Good God you guys are a bunch of whiners. You whine if you win, you whine if you lose, you blame everything on other teams, you belittle other fans for stuff over and over, classless stuff at game, you guys have no idea how to win or lose in style or class anymore. You've become the thing you guys hate, you are carolina fans!!! Whine if you win, whine if you lose and blame everyone else for everything. My god it is pethetic.

biggie
September 30th, 2010, 08:58 AM
That's like saying something like this......

Everyone in the conference knows that App State runs a classless program. I was talking to an Elon official last year in the fact that Jerry Moore had his team run into the stadium while Terrell Hudgins was receiving his accolades and game ball presented by Rich McGeorge for breaking the Jerry Rice records. And the band played over it too. Jerry Moore and the President of the univerisyt constantly promote classless fan activities. The Elon official said that everyone in the conference knows it and brought up the running up the score vs Western and the the classless stuff at two NC games. Then the Elon guy laughed and said, he even tries to cover it up with his phony team prayers after the games.

See, even though this happened, none of this holds any weight because: it doesn't matter, it can't be verified, and it is a bunch of cry-baby BS that sounds made up.

Good God you guys are a bunch of whiners. You whine if you win, you whine if you lose, you blame everything on other teams, you belittle other fans for stuff over and over, classless stuff at game, you guys have no idea how to win or lose in style or class anymore. You've become the thing you guys hate, you are carolina fans!!! Whine if you win, whine if you lose and blame everyone else for everything. My god it is pethetic.
Most everyone did see the late/cheap hits, its been seen. We have never had a problem with any team in recent years, except Elon.

Saint3333
September 30th, 2010, 09:51 AM
"Phony team prayers", anyone who says that obviously hasn't talked to Jerry for more than 5 minutes. Win or lose ASU always does this (even the McNeese game last year in which the McNeese players also participated). I understand this may not be everyone's belief and that is fine. The gentleman you "spoke" to doesn't know Coach Moore or obviously very much about the ASU program under Coach Moore, sounds more like sour grapes to me.

GP if you're attending the ASU game next week why don't the stop by my tailgate spot and let's share an adult beverage and try to put this message board BS to the side for 30 minutes, maybe it'll help both of us. If you're interested send me a PM.

SouthernMan
September 30th, 2010, 10:57 AM
I will be glad when you two finally play. Jeez and you guys say WE (GSU) live in the past. xlolx

PhoenixMan
September 30th, 2010, 11:04 AM
He's on a 53 man roster, how about Hudgins?

If John Fox has a lick of sense, he will play AE at QB and see what happens. It can't be much worse. As for all of this late hit talk....let me say again. If Elon is guilty of late hits, or cheap shots.....and it costs us 15 yds., then I have a big problem with that. On the other hand, if it doesn't cost us a penalty, I say RIP HIS LEG OFF AT THE HIP if the opportunity presents itself. All this talk about classless, etc....doesn't mean squat (unless it costs us 15 yds).

GaSouthern
September 30th, 2010, 11:08 AM
If John Fox has a lick of sense, he will play AE at QB and see what happens. It can't be much worse. As for all of this late hit talk....let me say again. If Elon is guilty of late hits, or cheap shots.....and it costs us 15 yds., then I have a big problem with that. On the other hand, if it doesn't cost us a penalty, I say RIP HIS LEG OFF AT THE HIP if the opportunity presents itself. All this talk about classless, etc....doesn't mean squat (unless it costs us 15 yds).

Wow, showing your true colors I see.

phoenixphanatic21
September 30th, 2010, 11:47 AM
"Phony team prayers", anyone who says that obviously hasn't talked to Jerry for more than 5 minutes. Win or lose ASU always does this (even the McNeese game last year in which the McNeese players also participated). I understand this may not be everyone's belief and that is fine. The gentleman you "spoke" to doesn't know Coach Moore or obviously very much about the ASU program under Coach Moore, sounds more like sour grapes to me.

I don't think he actually talked to anyone. I'm pretty sure he was making all that up.

gophoenix
September 30th, 2010, 01:01 PM

GP if you're attending the ASU game next week why don't the stop by my tailgate spot and let's share an adult beverage and try to put this message board BS to the side for 30 minutes, maybe it'll help both of us. If you're interested send me a PM.

It was all tongue in cheek crap to show you can make up anything and pawn it off as real.... All these people with "I'm close to the progam" or "X Y Z told me" and people take it for gold; it is just silly.

But, jerry moore really did lead his team into the stadium duing an award presentation, that isn't made up.

gophoenix
September 30th, 2010, 01:04 PM
Most everyone did see the late/cheap hits, its been seen. We have never had a problem with any team in recent years, except Elon.

Sigh

Define "cheap" ... late hits get called, if not, they aren't late. Cheap shots that are legal are legit shots. Football is a contact sport. You haven't had a problem with any other team than Elon? Because one player got hurt in 2 of 4 games, you call it a rampant problem. Again, look at the injuries between the two schools in the shared games again the picture begins to change. Edwards was hurt in other games from other people tackling him. His Bio details it.

Some of you guys believe whatever it is you want to believe so that you can blame anything for the slightest bit of failure. In other words: Carolina Fans.

SoCon48
September 30th, 2010, 01:29 PM
It was all tongue in cheek crap to show you can make up anything and pawn it off as real.... All these people with "I'm close to the progam" or "X Y Z told me" and people take it for gold; it is just silly.

But, jerry moore really did lead his team into the stadium duing an award presentation, that isn't made up.

When the officials tell them to leave the locker room and enter the stadium, that's when they must.

PaladinFan
September 30th, 2010, 02:13 PM
When the officials tell them to leave the locker room and enter the stadium, that's when they must.

That happens. Ole Miss fans sung their fight song during the Auburn alma mater the last time I saw them play and was soundly booed. That just adds fuel to the fire.

I don't think Armanti will ever get his shot to play QB. Not saying he isn't deserving, but NFL teams are very picky about their quarterbacks. Ingle Martin who, I think we can agree, was a pretty good FCS quarterback with NFL size (6'3 230) and never really got a shot to start, and he was on the roster as a quarterback. Edwards is a small WR and would fit the role of guys like Antwan Randel-el and Hines Ward, receivers who played QB in college but would never start there in the NFL.

Waco Kid
September 30th, 2010, 02:43 PM

Must have been the 2009 SoCon Championship you guys were celebrating before the App game.

PhoenixMan
September 30th, 2010, 02:52 PM
I don't think Armanti will ever get his shot to play QB. Not saying he isn't deserving, but NFL teams are very picky about their quarterbacks.

When things are going as poorly on offense as they are for the Panthers, no time to be picky. I think AE could be successful. We know he can run, and people seem to forget how accurate he is throwing. I haven't forgotten. I know its a stretch for him at his size, but get him outside the pocket and see what happens.

biggie
September 30th, 2010, 02:55 PM
Sigh

Define "cheap" ... late hits get called, if not, they aren't late. Cheap shots that are legal are legit shots. Football is a contact sport. You haven't had a problem with any other team than Elon? Because one player got hurt in 2 of 4 games, you call it a rampant problem. Again, look at the injuries between the two schools in the shared games again the picture begins to change. Edwards was hurt in other games from other people tackling him. His Bio details it.

Some of you guys believe whatever it is you want to believe so that you can blame anything for the slightest bit of failure. In other words: Carolina Fans.
The last knee shot was 'legal' in NCAA, probably not much longer, its not in the NFL. When a league as a rule against some thing, then I think everyone knows its probably wrong to do and looked like it was intentional, as did the retaliation by our RB later in the game.

As for late hits, yep refs never miss a call...

biggie
September 30th, 2010, 02:57 PM
When things are going as poorly on offense as they are for the Panthers, no time to be picky. I think AE could be successful. We know he can run, and people seem to forget how accurate he is throwing. I haven't forgotten. I know its a stretch for him at his size, but get him outside the pocket and see what happens.
He will get some QB work, as they have a "Mountaineer" (Wild Cat) package for him. Ran it 6 times in the final preseason game. But guess they are taking their time with him at WR and don't want to rush him. But the way their season is going and as bad as that offense is, they have to take a chance sometime.

GSU Demoralizer
September 30th, 2010, 03:21 PM
When I was a student at GSU, we had out run in-ins with Elon parents that couldn't handle our heckling of their precious boys on the baseball field. I remember specifically when Scott Riddle's dad came over and stood right in the middle of the student section, got on top of a bleacher, and started talking trash about our school....after a few choice words and his realization we were 20 deep and he would have gotten handled if he started something physical, he left and we "step step stepped" him all the way across J.I. Clements with our fans and cops cheering us on. Also, Gerwood's (sp?) dad tried to start a fight with us in the parking lot.....talk about class.

I'm sure these individuals aren't fully representative of the entire Elon fan base or the university, but Elon is definitely not without its sore spots.

elon77
September 30th, 2010, 03:37 PM
This thread, like Elon in the second half last week, needs to croak.

biggie
September 30th, 2010, 03:38 PM
When I was a student at GSU, we had out run in-ins with Elon parents that couldn't handle our heckling of their precious boys on the baseball field. I remember specifically when Scott Riddle's dad came over and stood right in the middle of the student section, got on top of a bleacher, and started talking trash about our school....after a few choice words and his realization we were 20 deep and he would have gotten handled if he started something physical, he left and we "step step stepped" him all the way across J.I. Clements with our fans and cops cheering us on. Also, Gerwood's (sp?) dad tried to start a fight with us in the parking lot.....talk about class.

I'm sure these individuals aren't fully representative of the entire Elon fan base or the university, but Elon is definitely not without its sore spots.
Did notice on the replay of the game last night the lovely chants, "FU Elon", "FU Riddle", "Riddle Sucks", etc.

GSU Demoralizer
September 30th, 2010, 04:26 PM
Did notice on the replay of the game last night the lovely chants, "FU Elon", "FU Riddle", "Riddle Sucks", etc.

...well, it's true :-)

blueballs
September 30th, 2010, 04:43 PM

That's called home advantage. App's fans do it too and are darned good at it.

The only difference between Southerns fan's doing it and App's fans doing it is that you can understand Southern's fans because they have (in most cases) at least half their teeth, whereas the App fans sound like a harelipped retard with a mouthful of peanut better.

PaladinFan
September 30th, 2010, 04:49 PM

GSU sticks their students right behind the visiting team, heckles them the entire game, and then act shocked when the players retaliate either against their players or against the fans themselves. Very quick to point out the lack of "class" by the opponents players, but not that displayed by their own students.

I'm all for heckling. Heck, Danny Marshall, the former Furman kicker, would heckle unmercifully at baseball games. But keep it clean, man.

GSU Demoralizer
September 30th, 2010, 08:17 PM

The only difference between Southerns fan's doing it and App's fans doing it is that you can understand Southern's fans because they have (in most cases) at least half their teeth, whereas the App fans sound like a harelipped retard with a mouthful of peanut better.

+1 HAHAHAHA!!!!! "Home is where ya make it....you like to see homos naked?"

seantaylor
September 30th, 2010, 11:57 PM

Did you notice the chant of "Whitney Swallows?" Riddle's girlfriend. One of the best chants ever to grace Paulson.

biggie
October 1st, 2010, 07:25 AM

Haven't heard anything like this from App fans in a few years. Bout time you go now.

PaladinFan
October 1st, 2010, 07:29 AM
Haven't heard anything like this from App fans in a few years. Bout time you go now.

They have their fair share of idiots.

biggie
October 1st, 2010, 07:32 AM
They have their fair share of idiots.
There are idiots and I've heard plenty of stupid things yelled by individuals (usually at our players). But as for our student section there has not been any horrible chants like those in a long time.

phan
October 1st, 2010, 08:53 AM
There are idiots and I've heard plenty of stupid things yelled by individuals (usually at our players). But as for our student section there has not been any horrible chants like those in a long time.

I think every fan base has the good, the bad and the ugly in the same percentages. The only difference seems to be in the size of the fan base. A larger fan base is going to have more people in each category therefore making the appearance that a GSU or APP has a lot of certain types of fans. The reality is that they are just represented by bigger numbers, this is especially true in college sports where the majority of fans tend to be student/alumni.