PDA

View Full Version : Elon to retire Terrell Hudgins' #19

phoenixphanatic21
September 23rd, 2010, 10:33 AM
Elon will retire Hudgins' #19 jersey before the Family Weekend game against Samford. He will be just the 4th football player to have his jersey retired.

http://www.elonphoenix.com/news/2010/9/23/FB_0923104203.aspx

Personally, I think it would've been better to have it retired homecoming weekend, but I'm just glad to see them retiring it. xhurrayx

PantherRob82
September 23rd, 2010, 10:42 AM
Why so soon?

fightingphoenix
September 23rd, 2010, 12:37 PM
Exciting! T-mobile was one heck of a player.

asknoquarter21
September 23rd, 2010, 12:41 PM
Seems pretty soon. It is inevitable though so I guess they figured why wait.

I would say the most surprising part is how soon they are retiring it. Is/was anyone wearing it this season?

PhoenixMan
September 23rd, 2010, 12:49 PM
Seems pretty soon. It is inevitable though so I guess they figured why wait.

I would say the most surprising part is how soon they are retiring it. Is/was anyone wearing it this season?

No

PhoenixPhan06
September 23rd, 2010, 12:51 PM
No need to wait, very glad the athletic department is going through with this while he's still around the area and not playing on Sundays!!

PaladinFan
September 23rd, 2010, 12:55 PM
Nice. Certainly a worthy accolade.

I have been interested as to how other schools approach this issue. I know GSU has just the two (now three with Foster?) numbers retired. I really have no idea how Furman does it.

asknoquarter21
September 23rd, 2010, 12:57 PM
No need to wait, very glad the athletic department is going through with this while he's still around the area and not playing on Sundays!!

I haven't been following, why is he not playing on Sunday's now?

PhoenixMan
September 23rd, 2010, 01:12 PM
I haven't been following, why is he not playing on Sunday's now?

Cut by the Dallas Cowboys. I talked to him at the Elon game a couple of weeks ago. Some teams are still very interested, but it's a tough go. For all he can do, his speed is still a drawback. I hope he latches on somewhere, because I think he can play on Sundays.

PaladinFan
September 23rd, 2010, 01:32 PM
Cut by the Dallas Cowboys. I talked to him at the Elon game a couple of weeks ago. Some teams are still very interested, but it's a tough go. For all he can do, his speed is still a drawback. I hope he latches on somewhere, because I think he can play on Sundays.

How many SoConners are on NFL rosters right now? Furman has two, Jerome Felton and William Middleton. Is Armanti still on an active roster?

asknoquarter21
September 23rd, 2010, 01:37 PM
How many SoConners are on NFL rosters right now? Furman has two, Jerome Felton and William Middleton. Is Armanti still on an active roster?

Jason Hunter, Marques Murrell, Corey Lynch, Armanti Edwards

Does Cortland Finnegan count?

asknoquarter21
September 23rd, 2010, 01:39 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81a828de/article/pats-cut-lb-murrell-to-make-roster-room-for-ol-ojinnaka

Looks like Murrell was cut last week

gophoenix
September 23rd, 2010, 02:04 PM
Jason Hunter, Marques Murrell, Corey Lynch, Armanti Edwards

Does Cortland Finnegan count?

Not to split hairs, but Edwards is listed as inactive.

Saint3333
September 23rd, 2010, 02:21 PM
AE is on the 53 man roster, the original question. Give him time he'll be fine.

Congrats to TH. It is doubtful an NFL team picks him up now, for those in contact with him has he looked into playing in Canada or eslewhere. The kid can catch and can certainly play at some professional level.

Eaglesrus
September 23rd, 2010, 02:37 PM

I have been interested as to how other schools approach this issue. I know GSU has just the two (now three with Foster?) numbers retired. I really have no idea how Furman does it.

There are strong feelings pro and con amongst GSU's fanbase regarding retiring Foster's jersey. I'm pro, thinking that winning the Payton should qualify him. The arguments that I've heard from those that don't agree mainly revolve around their belief that his career numbers don't justify it (I personally don't think that the wasted year under that guy that posed as our coach in 2006 should be held against him) and the fact that none of the teams he was on won a championship. Looks to me like it's not going to happen, in any case.

biggie
September 23rd, 2010, 03:02 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81a828de/article/pats-cut-lb-murrell-to-make-roster-room-for-ol-ojinnaka

Looks like Murrell was cut last week
Apparently something shady there (who would have thought with the Pats huh?). But Murrell is supposed to be on some kind of 'shadow' roster, where they haven't cleaned out his locker or anything and they can/will resign him when the roster allows it.

Lynch could see more playing time since the Bucs starting Safety was suspended indefinitely for substance abuse yesterday.

And a lot of people wondering what the hell the Panthers are thinking at this point about most decisions, including AE.

Hunter seems to be working well in Denver so far.

asknoquarter21
September 23rd, 2010, 03:34 PM
Apparently something shady there (who would have thought with the Pats huh?). But Murrell is supposed to be on some kind of 'shadow' roster, where they haven't cleaned out his locker or anything and they can/will resign him when the roster allows it.

Lynch could see more playing time since the Bucs starting Safety was suspended indefinitely for substance abuse yesterday.

And a lot of people wondering what the hell the Panthers are thinking at this point about most decisions, including AE.

Hunter seems to be working well in Denver so far.

Yea, I think 2 more losses and AE might be announced as the starting QB for the Panthers

biggie
September 23rd, 2010, 03:37 PM
Yea, I think 2 more losses and AE might be announced as the starting QB for the Panthers
A few more losses and they'll be ranked behind St Louis, Oakland, etc. They are horrible.

eaglewraith
September 23rd, 2010, 03:40 PM
Is this retiring a jersey or his number?

I know certain schools retire jerseys in a symbolic move for All Americans and highly regarded players. They only retire numbers for players who went to the next level, or who might have won the Heisman or multiple championships, etc.

From what I've seen is that retiring a jersey doesn't preclude anyone from using the number down the line. Retiring the number keeps anyone else from ever wearing that number.

ElonPride
September 23rd, 2010, 04:35 PM
There are strong feelings pro and con amongst GSU's fanbase regarding retiring Foster's jersey. I'm pro, thinking that winning the Payton should qualify him. The arguments that I've heard from those that don't agree mainly revolve around their belief that his career numbers don't justify it (I personally don't think that the wasted year under that guy that posed as our coach in 2006 should be held against him) and the fact that none of the teams he was on won a championship. Looks to me like it's not going to happen, in any case.

That's really a shame to think about. Personally I think Foster was one of the best players of the decade in the SoCon. His legacy should live on by having some sort of banner at Paulson as a reminder to the fans. It's not often we see that type of player step on the field.

I posted this on a previous thread, but just in recent years, the SoCon has seen some of the best players to set foot on an FCS field. Edwards, Hudgins, Ivory, Foster, Peterson just to name a few......quite amazing when you think about it.

chattanoogamocs
September 23rd, 2010, 04:39 PM

Not to take away from the thread, but to answer the question...to my knowledge (and I am a former Hall of Fame committee member) Chattanooga has never retired a number.

chattanoogamocs
September 23rd, 2010, 04:51 PM

Chattanooga has...
Terrell Owens
Terdell Sands (though I think he is inactive this season due to injury, I haven't kept up...he hosted a clinic in Chattanooga this summer)
Eldra Buckley
Drayton Florence (kind of s stretch, he started his career at UTC, had some issues and end up finishing at Tuskegee)

PaladinFan
September 23rd, 2010, 04:51 PM
Not to take away from the thread, but to answer the question...to my knowledge (and I am a former Hall of Fame committee member) Chattanooga has never retired a number.

Interesting. I've been told that Furman has some numbers retired inside the football offices (though I love what GSU has done on their facade). Still, that Ingle Martin and Jerome Felton don't have numbers retired makes me think they may not even do it.

PantherRob82
September 23rd, 2010, 05:16 PM

Just odd. I don't think we've retired Bryce Paup, Kurt Warner, Kenny Shedd, or Dedric Ward's #.

gophoenix
September 23rd, 2010, 07:25 PM
Did they retire Rich McGeorge's number too?

PhoenixMan
September 23rd, 2010, 07:30 PM
Did they retire Rich McGeorge's number too?

Yes, no one has worn 85 in quite sometime.

PhoenixSupreme
September 23rd, 2010, 08:15 PM
Is this retiring a jersey or his number?

Judging from the article I would say that they are simply retiring the jersey and not the number. I would speculate no one wore #19 because the committee (whomever they are) debated on retiring the number.

“The retiring of a jersey is one of the highest honors that any athlete can be afforded,” said Director of Athletics Dave Blank. “Here at Elon, this recognition has never been taken lightly, as Terrell will be just the sixth student-athlete in any sport to have his jersey retired. “Terrell had an outstanding football career on the playing field and left an unforgettable impression on our football program, the school and this community. We could not be more excited or proud to announce the retirement of Terrell Hudgins’ No. 19 jersey.”

PaladinFan
September 24th, 2010, 07:39 AM
Chattanooga has...
Terrell Owens
Terdell Sands (though I think he is inactive this season due to injury, I haven't kept up...he hosted a clinic in Chattanooga this summer)
Eldra Buckley
Drayton Florence (kind of s stretch, he started his career at UTC, had some issues and end up finishing at Tuskegee)

Where is Eldra Buckley playing? I have always considered him probably UTC's best player of the last 10 years or so. Really good player on some pretty bad teams.

bigCasu
September 24th, 2010, 09:29 AM
Buckley is with the Eagles