PDA

View Full Version : Colgate, Syracuse set to renew football rivalry (Ap/SI.com)

Go...gate
September 22nd, 2010, 11:47 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/ncaa/wires/09/22/2060.ap.fbc.colgate.s.challenge.0986/

Remise
September 23rd, 2010, 11:55 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/ncaa/wires/09/22/2060.ap.fbc.colgate.s.challenge.0986/

Longing for -- but not expecting -- that the Raiders will do the hoodoo that we used to do that they knew so well. Failing that, abundant medicinal supplies of alcohol will be available to conciliate or resuscitate!

B.C. Milligan
Certified Blowout Victim,
Colgate U.

ColgateTD
September 23rd, 2010, 08:05 PM
Predicting this game will be closer than many folks think. Don't believe Sullivan will have the kind of day he had at Furman. Look to the Red Raider's ground game to take time off the clock and maybe hold off the Orange until the second half. After that...who knows? Anything can happen, and if the HooDoo is working, a 'Gate victory is not a stretch.

Go...gate
September 24th, 2010, 12:04 PM
GO RED RAIDERS!!!!!!

Remise
September 24th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Requirements for a miracle will include:

1) Special teams showing up, and trying to keep 85-yard kickoff returns and 60-yard punt returns to a minimum (at least by the Orangemen).

2) Outside linebackers not getting drawn inside.

3) Inside linebackers -- or somebody! -- keying on opposing quarterback to run. We have gotten killed twice by QBs who had no receivers but then realized that they could easily get 10 yards or more by running right up the middle.

4) More Eachus running off tackle, less Eachus running between the guards and novelty plays.

5) Judicious passing. Sullivan throws better than he gets credit for, and I think he didn't throw enough in the first two games. Plus 'Gate doesn't have Simonds any more, but there are some good receivers on this team.

Even then, it's going to be very tough. As someone else said, this is essentially a case of a mediocre heavyweight taking on a decent middleweight -- the heavyweight still has the edge. Personally, if Colgate holds Syracuse to under a 20-point lead, I will not be too disappointed.

That's what I think. Now where do I find this game? Maybe on the Web...

B.C. Milligan

Go...gate
September 24th, 2010, 12:40 PM
ESPN 3.

Pard4Life
September 24th, 2010, 02:55 PM
Add 1a) Syracuse turns ball over five times, mostly in the red-zone. Like Lafayette. Ooops!

Go...gate
September 24th, 2010, 05:48 PM
Add 1a) Syracuse turns ball over five times, mostly in the red-zone. Like Lafayette. Ooops!

If SU decides to beat themselves, Colgate will hopefully cash in.

Remise
September 25th, 2010, 12:39 PM
This reminds me when I was the coach of a mediocre college fencing team (Vassar), about to face a pretty good one (JHU). My "pep talk" to my team went more or less like this: "As you know, every athlete has a bad day, some time or another. Our hope today is that everybody (nine guys) on the Hopkins team has a bad day."

They beat us 22-5.

But you never know...

Anyway, I am looking forward to watching on the Web. It will be fun, at least for a while. Remember that we led 10-0 early in the second quarter, in the famous Penn State game (I was at that one).

Henny
September 25th, 2010, 01:39 PM
This is a great opportunity for the Red Raiders to make a statement.

Go 'gate!!

Gater
September 25th, 2010, 02:23 PM
Here is the link to ESPN 3's coverage. Go 'gate!

http://espn.go.com/espn3/player?id=35764&league=NCAAF

(Remise, I like that story)

Remise
September 25th, 2010, 04:07 PM
Speaking at halftime, if it weren't for penalties, this would be a game. Colgate has outgained Syracuse, has double the rushing yards of the Orange, had a great goal-line stand and another forced fumble, and held the ball for 23 minutes in the first half.

If it weren't for penalties, this could easily be 7-0 or better.

Back we go...

HCbacker
September 25th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Colgate scored a touchdown, but it was reversed when instant replay was reviewed. Ridiculously poor call. Next series, Syracuse intercepted, instant replay clearly showed that the DB didn't have position, but the call stoop up. Didn't anyone else see the travesty? What a joke. I've never seen worse interpretation of instant replay. All in all, Colgate isn't playing too bad. Closer than the score will indicate IMO.

HCbacker
September 25th, 2010, 04:37 PM
Sorry for the typos!

Gater
September 25th, 2010, 04:40 PM
Calls were horrible. Both reviews going against Colgate. The interception was crazy. The ball was literally floating in the air as he was falling out of bounds. It was such a clear non-catch. Crazy.

ColgateTD
September 25th, 2010, 04:48 PM
Nate over 100 yds as 4th Q begins...

Remise
September 25th, 2010, 04:51 PM
Colgate scored a touchdown, but it was reversed when instant replay was reviewed. Ridiculously poor call. Next series, Syracuse intercepted, instant replay clearly showed that the DB didn't have position, but the call stoop up. Didn't anyone else see the travesty? What a joke. I've never seen worse interpretation of instant replay. All in all, Colgate isn't playing too bad. Closer than the score will indicate IMO.

The ESPN3 commentators saw and noted this, and even suggested that the ref was a Syracuse grad. And I agree. They are playing tough.

Remise
September 25th, 2010, 04:53 PM
P.S. I love that in the middle of them praising Eachus, he went 13 yards for a TD. Go 'Gate!

ColgateTD
September 25th, 2010, 04:58 PM
Oops!.....Cuse 35, 'Gate 7. These guys are just too fast!

ColgateTD
September 25th, 2010, 05:11 PM
Oops!.....'Cuse 42, 'Gate 7

ColgateTD
September 25th, 2010, 05:22 PM
Good news: 147 yds for Nate, TOP way in our favor. Bad news: 42-7 loss, and Georgetown coming to town!

Gater
September 25th, 2010, 05:28 PM
42-7 looks bad but Colgate played well. They held the ball for over 43 minutes and rushed for 230 yards. The breaks went Syracuse's way and they were certainly the better team but Colgate played tough and kept coming. Hope they play this tough the rest of the year. They may not win every game but it's nice to watch your team give it everything they got. Proud of the 'gate.

TheValleyRaider
September 25th, 2010, 05:37 PM
I've been on the road for most of the week, and just got in to see the end of the 3rd and the whole 4th. Without having a chance to re-watch the game (which I hope to do at some point), it sounds like we held tough. Hard to be too disappointed given the effort, but so I'll take that for now. They have to come off that high now, because Georgetown suddenly looks like a dangerous game. Re-focus, and let's get off to a strong PL start

Go...gate
September 25th, 2010, 09:23 PM
42-7 looks bad but Colgate played well. They held the ball for over 43 minutes and rushed for 230 yards. The breaks went Syracuse's way and they were certainly the better team but Colgate played tough and kept coming. Hope they play this tough the rest of the year. They may not win every game but it's nice to watch your team give it everything they got. Proud of the 'gate.

Amen.

PaladinFan
September 25th, 2010, 10:31 PM
Your back is the real deal. Colgate needs to find some other player to compliment him. Imagine how good he would be if teams were concerned about a passing attack.

ColgateTD
September 26th, 2010, 07:57 AM
Paladin - Sullivan is not a bad passer. I think Biddle's game plan was ball control, take minutes off the clock, and don't air it out against the fast 'Cuse DB's. I'd expect to see more of Sullivan's passing now that we enter the Patriot League part of the schedule.

PaladinFan
September 26th, 2010, 10:05 AM
Paladin - Sullivan is not a bad passer. I think Biddle's game plan was ball control, take minutes off the clock, and don't air it out against the fast 'Cuse DB's. I'd expect to see more of Sullivan's passing now that we enter the Patriot League part of the schedule.

Sullivan appeared to be a good athlete. What are the recievers like?

I speak only from seeing Colgate play against Furman and reading the write up against Syracuse. Many of our fans wondered why Biddle didn't at least try to air it out against Furman. I can understand your point about waiting until conference play starts to really open up the playbook, though.