PDA

View Full Version : Black College All-Star Football Game?

TexasTerror
January 30th, 2006, 05:01 PM
This comes from SWAC Page. Regardless of some folks thoughts on the SWAC on this board, they have some of the most informative fans in all the I-AA world. The stuff on there is great to check out. What's everyone's thoughts on this?

I think that this won't succeed. The best HBCU players will go off to the Hula Bowl, Senior Bowl and such because they are limited on how many postseason games they can go to and those games will always get more NFL coverage, especially the Senior Bowl (which is actually staffed by NFL teams). If your limited as is, would you want to go to that HBCU All-Star Bowl Game? I don't see schools forcing their players to go to that one over another one, so it just won't work.

And honestly, I think a lot of people criticize how smaller school players, well players from Div I-AA, II and Div III do not get chances to shine. As Charley Casserly of the Houston Texans said, they'll find you if your good enough and maybe the I-AA and HBCU invites to the NFL Combine are lower than in the past and maybe those Div II and Div III invites are lower too, but perhaps there are just not as many quality athletes as some of us fans of these groupings/conferences think there are.

Oh, don't forget how many players turn down performing in these Classics/Bowl games (i.e Bruce Eugene among them) and how some players don't even participate in the full NFL combine. Times are changing...
---------
Now the NFL draft is approaching us now it time to think of a way to expose black college players. Their are a lot of black college athletes from the CIAA,
MEAC and the SWAC that do not get invited to the NFL combines and the other all-star games like the East-West shrine game. It time for black college football to wake up and stop complaining why we don't have enough black players represented by our schools. We need to create our own All-Star game in 2007 or 2008!!!

Espn promote a lot of the bigger institutions by showing games and highlights throughout the year. But black college football need something else like a weekend caravan showcasing black college football to the NFL scouts. At this event we can display their 40yd dash time, 225 weight tests, speed and agility tests as well as a IQ and question and answer session. By bringing in players from all over the country that did not get invited to an all-star game I think it would be a good idea for unity among the HBCU's. Nothing has ever existed like this before now its the time to come together. Some scouts do come to college campus but we need a weekend to showcase black college football. I think it will help schools with recruiting as well as fund raising for each individual school.

In Texas they had the Army high school all-star game and now that most all-star have snubbed SWAC players and its time for a change. What do you think of this idea??? The SIDs at black HBCU's need to unity because now we are in desperate need. The white media want to down SWAC football. Great players came out the SWAC and made it to the NFL now it time to put the SWAC back on the map. Exposing SWAC football to the nation can only help our conference grow further.

Big Ed sports,
Arlington,Tx btw Pine Bluff,Arkanasas
Antigua School of Medicine 2006

bigbluetiger
January 30th, 2006, 08:29 PM
I think it's a great idea.

bustya
January 30th, 2006, 09:52 PM
I think it's a great idea.Last year they had one and there have been plenty more in the past.

TexasTerror
January 31st, 2006, 10:33 AM
Ralph posted this link on SWAC Page...

http://i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=65350

SU Jag
January 31st, 2006, 01:42 PM
xcoffeex

jmuroller
January 31st, 2006, 04:14 PM
Why have an All-Star game that only pulls players from a few conferences? Also, if they are NFL material then they will go to one of the others anyway.

bustya
January 31st, 2006, 04:18 PM
Why have an All-Star game that only pulls players from a few conferences? Also, if they are NFL material then they will go to one of the others anyway.Underrepresentation in other all-star games. :read:

OL FU
January 31st, 2006, 04:20 PM
Why have an All-Star game that only pulls players from a few conferences? Also, if they are NFL material then they will go to one of the others anyway.

I don't think that is a bad idea. Jan 10, 2007 SoCon vs, A-10. Pick a spot in VA. Actually sounds like fun.

TexasTerror
January 31st, 2006, 10:59 PM
Underrepresentation in other all-star games. :read:

Well, the right players, the NFL-qualified players who have a chance, whether HBCU or otherwise, do get invited to the Classics and All-Star festivities...

blackfordpu
February 1st, 2006, 10:36 PM
Ok, but what about a White College All0-Star game? :rolleyes:

3rd Coast Tiger
February 2nd, 2006, 12:19 AM
Ok, but what about a White College All0-Star game? :rolleyes:

By all means, please find investors and get it done.

TexasTerror
February 2nd, 2006, 04:53 PM
You already have them. They would be any All-Star Games that feature ONLY Div. I-A or Div. III colleges.

Which All-Star Games feature only I-A or Div III?

Last I checked, we had I-AAs in the Hula and Senior Bowl (just one there), East-West Shrine Game. Aren't HBCUs in the I-AA ranks? Saw some Div II out in the Hula Bowl too and even that Gridiron Classic had I-AAs, Div II, NAIA and such. I know there's HBCUs there...