PDA

View Full Version : New Mascot?

MarkCCU
January 30th, 2006, 04:03 PM
I know I am not the only one, but there is a lot of talk about what the hell a Chanticleer is. And then comes the question, why don't y'all change it? Well what do y'all think. Should it be changed and any suggetions to a new mascot?

bodoyle
January 30th, 2006, 04:05 PM
NO

Bub
January 30th, 2006, 04:05 PM
How about one of them cowboys from "Broke Back Mountain"? xlolx

TexasTerror
January 30th, 2006, 04:23 PM
You guys got a unique mascot. It's why I like our Bearkat. It's unique and it's not a common one that everyone has (i.e Bobcats which is shared by numerous schools like Frostburg St, Montana St, Texas St-San Marcos and that NBA team in Charlotte)...

HiHiYikas
January 30th, 2006, 04:27 PM
very very very bad: Changing your mascot because marketing research suggests it is outdated

very very bad: Changing your mascot because people don't know what it is

very bad: Changing your mascot to avoid NCAA chastizement

kinda bad: having a mascot that's shared by tons of other schools

kinda good: having a mascot that's pretty-much one-of-a-kind, but is "outdated" or "not widely appealing."

good: having a mascot that's one-of-a-kind, and having a good story behind its use.

very good: having a mascot that's one-of-a-kind, well-liked, and with a good back story.

I'd put CCU somewhere between "kinda good" and "very good." Don't people gripe about the similarity between a gamecock and a chanticleer?

Go...gate
January 30th, 2006, 04:35 PM
FYI, Rutgers University was the Chanticleers before they changed to the Scarlet Knights after WW II.

ASU Kep
January 30th, 2006, 05:29 PM
I love the "chanticleers". Its such an easy name to laugh at. All I can see in my mind is the Under-Armour type commercial at CCU. "OK, CHANTICLEERS, we must protect this house! This is our house! This house belongs to the CHANTICLEERS!!!" haha, i dont know why, but that cracks me up.

MarkCCU
January 30th, 2006, 06:11 PM
very very very bad: Changing your mascot because marketing research suggests it is outdated

very very bad: Changing your mascot because people don't know what it is

very bad: Changing your mascot to avoid NCAA chastizement

kinda bad: having a mascot that's shared by tons of other schools

kinda good: having a mascot that's pretty-much one-of-a-kind, but is "outdated" or "not widely appealing."

good: having a mascot that's one-of-a-kind, and having a good story behind its use.

very good: having a mascot that's one-of-a-kind, well-liked, and with a good back story.

I'd put CCU somewhere between "kinda good" and "very good." Don't people gripe about the similarity between a gamecock and a chanticleer?

Yeah. When I first started, before football, the mascot looked like a teal version of the gamecock. People also don't know what it is. We have a unique mascot..but the thing doesn't exist.

rokamortis
January 30th, 2006, 06:34 PM
I like the Chanticleer because:
1) it is unique
2) it represents our history
3) it is based on a character from Chaucer's classic Canterbury Tales

CoastalFan2005
January 30th, 2006, 08:42 PM
Absolutely not. Changing our mascot would be the worst decision we could make, IMO. The Chanticleer is fine the way it is.

bobcatfan06
January 30th, 2006, 09:11 PM
Yeah. When I first started, before football, the mascot looked like a teal version of the gamecock. People also don't know what it is. We have a unique mascot..but the thing doesn't exist.

Something you share with Sam Houston. A mascot that doesn't exist. :read:

The Gadfly
January 30th, 2006, 09:30 PM
The Chanticleer was almost eaten by a fox... A FOX! His girlfriend had to save his sorry ass. Even the old basketball coach/ English professor who came up with the idea of using the chanticleer said he only used it because it was a good alternative to then parent school's mascot, the Gamecock, and probably wouldn't represent the football team well. I still don't understand how the Chanticleer mascot represents our school? That's why I call it a Beach Chicken, because it DOESN'T MAKE SENSE representing a college located in a coastal region. :bang:

TxSt02
January 31st, 2006, 12:26 AM
i dont even now how to pronounce it... please help!

bodoyle
January 31st, 2006, 12:40 AM
chaunt uhh clear

bodoyle
January 31st, 2006, 12:41 AM
Gad: it was a rooster that outsmarted others by using his brain.....Coastal is a place of learning.... :rolleyes:

blur2005
January 31st, 2006, 02:04 AM
Definitely keep the Chanticleer. I like names that are rare and not generic bullcrap like Bobcats, Wildcats, etc.

rokamortis
January 31st, 2006, 06:51 AM
You can nitpick any mascot to death.

rokamortis
January 31st, 2006, 06:53 AM
chaunt uhh clear

Not like it is that much differencve but I've always seen it

shon - ti - clear

OL FU
January 31st, 2006, 07:35 AM
I like it.

Chant for the Chants :D

bodoyle
January 31st, 2006, 08:29 AM
Rok I think we're pronouncing it the same, but spelling it different - phonetically

Ivytalk
January 31st, 2006, 08:36 AM
I like it.

Chant for the Chants :D

It certainly is unique, and CCU deserves full credit for that. But when I see "Chants," I think "Gregorian." ;)

blukeys
January 31st, 2006, 09:00 AM
Definitely keep the Chanticleer. I like names that are rare and not generic bullcrap like Bobcats, Wildcats, etc.

No, go ahead and change it to something really unique like the Wildcats. ;)

That's the name all the really cool schools have. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

JaxSinfonian
January 31st, 2006, 09:58 AM
Any school with a chicken for a mascot is OK in my book. Unless thay've got a I-A football team. So, let's see, that leaves out ... some second-rate SEC team whose name I can't remember.

I'd love to see a basketball tournament featuring JSU, CCU, Delaware and perhaps the (D-II) Puerto Rico-Rio Piedras Gallitos. We could invite the folks from PETA and give them front-row seats. :)

I love CCU's mascot. As JSU's campus newspaper is called "The Chanticleer," you don't have to explain it to anyone out here. By the way, most people here pronounce it "SHANT eh clear" or "shant eh CLEAR."

Consider this: Furman fans probably get a lot of people asking what the heck a "Paladin" is. Think anyone there is seriously considering a switch? Dont change your mascot.

OL FU
January 31st, 2006, 10:26 AM
Any school with a chicken for a mascot is OK in my book. Unless thay've got a I-A football team. So, let's see, that leaves out ... some second-rate SEC team whose name I can't remember.

I'd love to see a basketball tournament featuring JSU, CCU, Delaware and perhaps the (D-II) Puerto Rico-Rio Piedras Gallitos. We could invite the folks from PETA and give them front-row seats. :)

I love CCU's mascot. As JSU's campus newspaper is called "The Chanticleer," you don't have to explain it to anyone out here. By the way, most people here pronounce it "SHANT eh clear" or "shant eh CLEAR."

Consider this: Furman fans probably get a lot of people asking what the heck a "Paladin" is. Think anyone there is seriously considering a switch? Dont change your mascot.

Usually someone in a plaid shirt, overalls and a ****-eating toothless grin :D

Lehigh Football Nation
January 31st, 2006, 10:29 AM
DO NOT CHANGE THE MASCOT.

Even though I wrote this in jest:

Although it sounds like an ornament you might put next to your lawn elf, a Chanticleer is actually a fierce fighting rooster.

your "Chants" is a great mascot that gives your school a unique identity and a unique brand. Take it from a school who took one of the best mascot names in the world (the "Engineers") and changed it to one that is much more generic (the "Mountain Hawks").

dirtbag
January 31st, 2006, 11:37 AM
You guys got a unique mascot. It's why I like our Bearkat. It's unique and it's not a common one that everyone has ...

Yeah, I wonder why other educational institutions aren't smart enough to misspell their mascots?

: retard :

MarkCCU
January 31st, 2006, 11:49 AM
Something you share with Sam Houston. A mascot that doesn't exist. :read:
and Lander. they are the Bearcats also

MarkCCU
January 31st, 2006, 01:47 PM
isn't a Paladin a horse? Or a knight ona horse?

OL FU
January 31st, 2006, 01:55 PM
isn't a Paladin a horse? Or a knight ona horse?

What ever it is it typically holds a lance to inflict harm on its enemies during battle. Said lance (when not engaged in warfare) effectively doubles as a skewer when cooking chicken rotisserie style :cool: :D

PS I am tired of you wearing those overalls all the time, put on a suit or at least a beach-like Hawaiian shirt. :)

bobcatfan06
January 31st, 2006, 02:08 PM
For the record, Texas State was the first University to use the Bobcats. Everyone else copied us.

windwalker
January 31st, 2006, 02:25 PM

oh yeah... Paladin was a TV series from the sixtys... Have Gun Will Travel... :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

windwalker
January 31st, 2006, 02:28 PM
I know I am not the only one, but there is a lot of talk about what the hell a Chanticleer is. And then comes the question, why don't y'all change it? Well what do y'all think. Should it be changed and any suggetions to a new mascot?

Absolutely NOT!! About every 4 to 5 years that comes up with the new students.

OL FU
January 31st, 2006, 02:30 PM
oh yeah... Paladin was a TV series from the sixtys... Have Gun Will Travel... :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

Cuse me while I sharpen my sword :nod: :)

MarkCCU
January 31st, 2006, 02:40 PM
What ever it is it typically holds a lance to inflict harm on its enemies during battle. Said lance (when not engaged in warfare) effectively doubles as a skewer when cooking chicken rotisserie style :cool: :D

PS I am tired of you wearing those overalls all the time, put on a suit or at least a beach-like Hawaiian shirt. :)

i've got my suit on

OL FU
January 31st, 2006, 02:42 PM
i've got my suit on

and a straw hat? :D

MarkCCU
January 31st, 2006, 02:43 PM
here are some definitions i've found

A paladin is the prototypical "knight in shining armour," a hero of sterling character and courage, who rights wrongs and defends the weak and oppressed. The word comes from the Latin word palatinus ("attached to the palace") - compare palatine. The original paladins of legend appeared as the heroes of the Chanson de Roland and of the other romances of chivalry which told of the legendary court of King Charlemagne. Legends originally tell of twelve paladins attached to Charlemagne's court. ...

Paladin is a character class in Dungeons & Dragons and later role-playing games, many of which were influenced by D&D. The class is loosely based on historical paladins. The paladin is a holy knight, crusading in the name of a specific god.

D&D...HA NERDS!

MarkCCU
January 31st, 2006, 02:43 PM
and a straw hat? :D

a gentleman does not wear a hat indoors
:nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

OL FU
January 31st, 2006, 03:17 PM
:nod:
a gentleman does not wear a hat indoors
:nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

But it is near by?

Seersucker :smiley_wi . I guess that is not appropriate until April or May :nod:

OL FU
January 31st, 2006, 03:20 PM
here are some definitions i've found

D&D...HA NERDS!

Well we play in the Dungeon, and we have smitten a few dragons. :cool:

The Gadfly
January 31st, 2006, 03:40 PM
Fierce rooster? Who uses his wits to get out of trouble? Which Nun's Priest Tale were you guys reading? Again... he was almost eaten by a fox people, that is until his girlfriend had to help him out of his little jam. Fierce indeed. :eyebrow:

OL FU
January 31st, 2006, 03:47 PM
I have been considering this and I still like the mascot. :nod:

But that teal color : retard : :D

The Gadfly
January 31st, 2006, 04:39 PM
I have been considering this and I still like the mascot. :nod:

But that teal color : retard : :D

That's because you don't have to live with it as your school's mascot. :(

I have done quite a bit of research to find alternatives and the best one I have found so far is "ACHAEANS" (AH-KEE-uhnz). Unique, represents the coastal region, witty and powerful, goes well with our greko achitecture, not poultry (no offense JSU and Delaware :o ), plus it flows well with "Coastal."

If there was a vote for a change, this would be the only alternative I would vote for.

Go...gate
January 31st, 2006, 05:20 PM
Two points:

1. Seersucker no good :nono: except after Memorial Day and before Labor Day;

2. Whatever new name you use, don't use the "Teal Raiders". Some flaming a$$ho!e PC students are sure to say that some Native American tribe is being offended. :splat:

CoastalFan2005
January 31st, 2006, 08:31 PM
This question is geared toward OL_FU (or any other Furman fan that would like to answer):

Is it true that way back in the day, that Furman used to be the Christian Knights? I've heard this since I was a small child and have never really thought about confirming it until now.

rokamortis
January 31st, 2006, 08:32 PM
Fierce rooster? Who uses his wits to get out of trouble? Which Nun's Priest Tale were you guys reading? Again... he was almost eaten by a fox people, that is until his girlfriend had to help him out of his little jam. Fierce indeed. :eyebrow:

The Nun's priest Tale I read is that Chanticleer is the pimp of the barnyard who was a bit cocky because of that got caught by a fox. But his best girl was upset and got the rest of the barnyard to make a scene - so Chanticleer used this to his advantage and tricked the fox to let him go.

Saying his girlfriend saved him is a bit of an oversimplification.

CoastalFan2005
January 31st, 2006, 08:35 PM
I honestly don't see why people have such a problem with the Chanticleer. So what if it doesn't represent our region, architecture, or name? I'm sure that there weren't any "Purple Knights" roaming the land in the vicinity of Furman. I'm also quite sure that there haven't been any wild Tiger sightings near Clemson. And to my best knowledge, no Trojan warriors ever landed in Southern California.

A mascot doesn't always have to be representative in the ways most give reasons for ours to change. The Chanticleer is fine as it is: leave it alone!

:bang: : flamemad

blukeys
January 31st, 2006, 09:55 PM
The Nun's priest Tale I read is that Chanticleer is the pimp of the barnyard who was a bit cocky because of that got caught by a fox. But his best girl was upset and got the rest of the barnyard to make a scene - so Chanticleer used this to his advantage and tricked the fox to let him go.

Saying his girlfriend saved him is a bit of an oversimplification.

Personally I prefered the Reeve's tale, But I admit I am a pervert. :eek: ;) ;)

Husky Alum
February 1st, 2006, 03:25 PM
Usually someone in a plaid shirt, overalls and a ****-eating toothless grin :D

I thought that's a Georgia Southern Fan?

The Gadfly
February 1st, 2006, 03:57 PM
I honestly don't see why people have such a problem with the Chanticleer. So what if it doesn't represent our region, architecture, or name?
Then it's not much of a mascot. Especially a french rooster that almost gets eaten by a craftier fox. The only thing that saves him is his girlfriend? He's NOT witty, he's NOT a "pimp," and he's not even aqua green and bronze. Everything that you guys have been saying about the Chanticleer is false. You need to face reality. I did. :doh:

I'm sure that there weren't any "Purple Knights" roaming the land in the vicinity of Furman.
No, but Paladins were crusaders/holy warriors and Furman is a Christian school(or used to be). Purple, at one time in SC history, was such a popular color, due to the South Carolina cash crop indigo, that it doesn't suprise me at all that Furman chose that color. Even the SC flag at one time almost became purple but barely failed to make it through the Statehouse.

I'm also quite sure that there haven't been any wild Tiger sightings near Clemson.
That's because they're Clemson. They copied their mascot from Auburn who copied it from Princeton. Kinda like how we copy the same type of mascot from the University of South Carolina. Maybe one day we can cut that chord from our mommy...

And to my best knowledge, no Trojan warriors ever landed in Southern California.
No they didn't, but they were called the Trojans because at one time USC Athletics were not as good as they are now and the big wigs wanted a name change. So instead of being the Methodists they decided to call themselves the Trojans because, like the ancient warriors of Troy, they lose. The name stuck and they have single handedly changed the way people view Trojans as losers to winners. And who did they lose to in the Trojan War you might ask? THE ACHAEANS.

A mascot doesn't always have to be representative in the ways most give reasons for ours to change.

No, we can be like the Clemsons and the Auburns, though their mascot IS fierce, strong, and actually a cunning hunter. We could keep the Aqua Green and bronze chicken that in reality DOES NOT represent our school well at all, or we can find a mascot that actually makes sense. I suggest that we use Achaeans as a new unique nickname. Who are they? They are the ancient Greek seafaring heroes who used their brawn and wit to sack the indestructible city of Troy. The Coastal (ah-KEE-uhnz) Achaeans. What do you think guys? A smart alternative?

SeattleGriz
February 1st, 2006, 10:05 PM
NO WAY!!

Montana changed its mascot back in the early 90's to a "meaner and leaner" Monte...well what they got was a rabid looking wolf instead. Everybody made fun of that hideous thing. Needless to say, once they went back to the old style mascot, all was well in Grizland.

Don't change if its working now.

Granite
February 1st, 2006, 10:23 PM
No, go ahead and change it to something really unique like the Wildcats. ;)

That's the name all the really cool schools have. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Yeah, but our version of the Wildcat IS kinda cool. At least the newest rendition. The old one (pre-2001) looked like a rabid house cat to me.

OL FU
February 2nd, 2006, 08:05 AM
This question is geared toward OL_FU (or any other Furman fan that would like to answer):

Is it true that way back in the day, that Furman used to be the Christian Knights? I've heard this since I was a small child and have never really thought about confirming it until now.

I can't confirm Christian Knights. Until the early 60's differenc sports teams went by different names. BBall was Paladins, FBall was Hurricanes. and I think some of the other teams were something different. I will see what I can find out, but I never heard Christian Knights.

thirdgendin
February 2nd, 2006, 08:39 AM

Nope, it's just an urban legend. Many of our rivals would like it to be true because of the acronym it makes, but Furman has never been the "Christian Knights." A Paladin is a knight from Charlemagne's court, so I believe that's where the parallels come from.

The Gadfly
February 2nd, 2006, 01:25 PM
I can't confirm Christian Knights. Until the early 60's differenc sports teams went by different names. BBall was Paladins, FBall was Hurricanes. and I think some of the other teams were something different. I will see what I can find out, but I never heard Christian Knights.

Coastal was in the same boat. While our basketball team was called the Chanticleers, our club football team were the Bulldogs and the baseball team called themselves the Trojans and the Black Bears (due to the large population in the county; weird but true).

Some of the ideas of a mascot for the nickname Achaeans (ah-KEE-uhnz) were to use either a human figure (duh :rolleyes: ), a black bear (picture a UCLA and USC mix? :o ), or a sea-turtle (wearing a greek helmet using its shell as a shield). It would end up looking something like the old Toronto Argonaut's logo
http://img.thefreedictionary.com/wiki/f/f6/TorontoArgonauts.png

OL FU
February 2nd, 2006, 01:48 PM
Coastal was in the same boat. While our basketball team was called the Chanticleers, our club football team were the Bulldogs and the baseball team called themselves the Trojans and the Black Bears (due to the large population in the county; weird but true).

Some of the ideas of a mascot for the nickname Achaeans (ah-KEE-uhnz) were to use either a human figure (duh :rolleyes: ), a black bear (picture a UCLA and USC mix? :o ), or a sea-turtle (wearing a greek helmet using its shell as a shield). It would end up looking something like the old Toronto Argonaut's logo
http://img.thefreedictionary.com/wiki/f/f6/TorontoArgonauts.png

I like the logo but I think the name would cause you more problems than Paladin causes us (on the other hand I don't think to many FU people care since most people have a least an idea of what a Paladin is). On the other hand when you introduce yourself as an Achaean, people may start offering you Adviil :)

Being biased, I like unusual mascot names. I don't like Tigers and Bears but variations on the theme are ok. I like Grizzlies, Catamounts, etc.

I never realized that many bears were in Horry (you are in Horry, correct?) County but I guess it makes sense with all the swampy areas they can hide in.

Coastal89
February 2nd, 2006, 05:02 PM
I like the logo but I think the name would cause you more problems than Paladin causes us (on the other hand I don't think to many FU people care since most people have a least an idea of what a Paladin is). On the other hand when you introduce yourself as an Achaean, people may start offering you Adviil :)

Being biased, I like unusual mascot names. I don't like Tigers and Bears but variations on the theme are ok. I like Grizzlies, Catamounts, etc.

I never realized that many bears were in Horry (you are in Horry, correct?) County but I guess it makes sense with all the swampy areas they can hide in.
http://www.horrycountymuseum.org/exhibits/ex_am-blackbear_pic1_560.jpg 490lb. black bear on exhibit at HC Museum
Most visitors to Horry County and the coastal plain of South Carolina are surprised know that the American Black Bear, Ursus americanus, is also a common resident. Just how many bears and the extent of their range is still under investigation by wildlife biologists now doing research in the area.* We do know that many more bear are being killed by automobiles on local highways here due to the upsurgence of development here in Horry County and the loss of habitat for the bear.

Here in Horry County, the bears preferred habitat are the Carolina Bays which in the past have offered food resources as well as some solitude. But in recent years, black bears have been loosing the habitat battle to land development in the area. While encounters between humans and black bears have been rare, we are seeing more bears as highway wildlife fatalities every year.

The Gadfly
February 2nd, 2006, 06:04 PM
I have a friend who had hit one last year on that Carolina Forest Road near "The Farm."

Now, I like the Chanticleer idea that the school is trying to give but it's not true. Anyone who has actually read the tale would say that we have no idea what we're talking about when it comes to the Chanticleer. The whole story builds up the character to be this "macho" crowing rooster, but we fail to accept the rest of the story (including the moral). The rooster is actually not that bright because he allows his pride to get in the way of wise decision making.

rokamortis
February 2nd, 2006, 06:42 PM
I have a friend who had hit one last year on that Carolina Forest Road near "The Farm."

Now, I like the Chanticleer idea that the school is trying to give but it's not true. Anyone who has actually read the tale would say that we have no idea what we're talking about when it comes to the Chanticleer. The whole story builds up the character to be this "macho" crowing rooster, but we fail to accept the rest of the story (including the moral). The rooster is actually not that bright because he allows his pride to get in the way of wise decision making.

I have read the story many times as well. And you are right, he makes a mistake and gets nabbed by the fox. But he also tricks the fox to release him - hence the crafty rooster part of the story.

melloAggiesousa
February 2nd, 2006, 08:23 PM
Well, if you don't want to be Chanticleers, that's entirely up to you. If you change, go with something unique...like Penquins (YSU), Spiders (Richmond), Horned Frogs (TCU), Gorillas (Pitt State in Kansas), Anteaters (UC Irvine) or, the best one of all, Banana Slugs (UC Santa Cruz)!

MarkCCU
February 3rd, 2006, 12:58 AM

Don't forget they have been known to frequent the Atlantic Center across 501

TxSt02
February 3rd, 2006, 01:05 AM
pick one from here:
http://www.smargon.net/nicknames/

MarkCCU
February 3rd, 2006, 01:06 AM
Then it's not much of a mascot. Especially a french rooster that almost gets eaten by a craftier fox. The only thing that saves him is his girlfriend? He's NOT witty, he's NOT a "pimp," and he's not even aqua green and bronze. Everything that you guys have been saying about the Chanticleer is false. You need to face reality. I did. :doh:

No, but Paladins were crusaders/holy warriors and Furman is a Christian school(or used to be). Purple, at one time in SC history, was such a popular color, due to the South Carolina cash crop indigo, that it doesn't suprise me at all that Furman chose that color. Even the SC flag at one time almost became purple but barely failed to make it through the Statehouse.

That's because they're Clemson. They copied their mascot from Auburn who copied it from Princeton. Kinda like how we copy the same type of mascot from the University of South Carolina. Maybe one day we can cut that chord from our mommy...

No they didn't, but they were called the Trojans because at one time USC Athletics were not as good as they are now and the big wigs wanted a name change. So instead of being the Methodists they decided to call themselves the Trojans because, like the ancient warriors of Troy, they lose. The name stuck and they have single handedly changed the way people view Trojans as losers to winners. And who did they lose to in the Trojan War you might ask? THE ACHAEANS.

No, we can be like the Clemsons and the Auburns, though their mascot IS fierce, strong, and actually a cunning hunter. We could keep the Aqua Green and bronze chicken that in reality DOES NOT represent our school well at all, or we can find a mascot that actually makes sense. I suggest that we use Achaeans as a new unique nickname. Who are they? They are the ancient Greek seafaring heroes who used their brawn and wit to sack the indestructible city of Troy. The Coastal (ah-KEE-uhnz) Achaeans. What do you think guys? A smart alternative?

I agree with Gadfly here. Though me and him have had this discussion before, I don't think that a fictional bird represents us well, who cares that it's the only mascot from classical literature, in my mind if you are going to have a mascot, you got either A) be able to get the real thing(like a tiger or gamecock) or B) have a person dress up like the individual(the FSU Seminole) a big ol chicken doesn't really get me pepped up for the games(the 5 gallons of jungle juice with Gadfly, Godfather and Big Mike do that)

Jaques
February 3rd, 2006, 10:45 AM
Not this again and please GOD not the A-kee-unz again...absurd. : flamemad
If you want a real argument about the chanticleer, go to the coastalfans website and dig it out of the traditions forum...classic stuff if I say so myself.

The Chanticleer is here to stay.

MarkCCU
February 3rd, 2006, 11:42 AM
Not this again and please GOD not the A-kee-unz again...absurd. : flamemad
If you want a real argument about the chanticleer, go to the coastalfans website and dig it out of the traditions forum...classic stuff if I say so myself.

This goes back BEFORE coastalfans, lol. I remember my freshman and junior year there were votes to either keep or change it..it came to be 51%-49, something like that both times.

CoastalFan2005
February 4th, 2006, 04:48 PM

I'm afraid I have to DISAGREE with "The Gadfly" on this. First off--I need to "face reality?" : retard :, whatever you say. Your definition of reality obviously differs from mine; therefore, to impose your opinion onto my mind isn't really giving my mind a fair chance to make its own choice. Back off with that.

That said, I think the both of us need to understand that we each hate the other's viewpoint. I think that "Achaeans" is about the dumbest-sounding name for a mascot (I also would disagree with you calling it "A smart alternative".). You think the same of the Chanticleer. Since the Chanticleer is obviously not going away anytime soon, I would think that it's about time to drop this discussion either for good, or until the school decides that they may want to change the mascot. Which I don't believe will happen.

The Gadfly
February 4th, 2006, 05:05 PM
I have read the story many times as well. And you are right, he makes a mistake and gets nabbed by the fox. But he also tricks the fox to release him - hence the crafty rooster part of the story.
He does not come up with the idea because he's too busy screaming like a little girl. It was his girlfriend that tells him to calm down and came up with the trick to get the fox to open his mouth. Read it again my friend. :read:

Not this again and please GOD not the A-kee-unz again...absurd.
How is the Achaeans absurd? Are you having trouble finding the reasoning behind it. :confused:

Unfortunately :doh: . Hopefully we can open up our eyes, realize that it's all a lie, and find a mascot/nickname that truely and proudly represents our school.

rokamortis
February 4th, 2006, 07:03 PM
He does not come up with the idea because he's too busy screaming like a little girl. It was his girlfriend that tells him to calm down and came up with the trick to get the fox to open his mouth. Read it again my friend. :read:

Not trying to argue with you but I have read it many times and can not find that. Perhaps you would be so kind to quote the passage? http://www.luminarium.org/medlit/nunspriest.htm

If you really wan't to change it you'll ahve to get SGA and the alumni to back you. A few years ago the SGA was dead-set against changing it. As each year passes and the more success of our programs then the harder it will be to change it.

I do like Chanticleer but i wouldn't be against changing it if something better comes along - but I think any mascot can be picked apart.

nlwwln
February 5th, 2006, 01:35 AM
good unique name

The Gadfly
February 5th, 2006, 09:06 AM
Not trying to argue with you but I have read it many times and can not find that. Perhaps you would be so kind to quote the passage? http://www.luminarium.org/medlit/nunspriest.htm

If you really wan't to change it you'll ahve to get SGA and the alumni to back you. A few years ago the SGA was dead-set against changing it. As each year passes and the more success of our programs then the harder it will be to change it.

I do like Chanticleer but i wouldn't be against changing it if something better comes along - but I think any mascot can be picked apart.
DAMN I knew I liked you for some reason Rok :beerchug: . EXCELLENT REPLY. You redeemed my faith in a Coastal education. You actually read it and mildly retorted with strong facts :bow: . Pertelote never gave him the advice. The only thing she did was scream for everone to help the Chanticleer, which helped him to negotiate with the fox.

But does the Chanticleer represent us well?

"...Remembering how he (the fox) looked, almost I die; And all this caused my groaning, I confess."

Then his main wife Pertelote screams:

Aha," said she, "fie on you, spiritless! Alas!" cried she, "for by that God above, Now have you lost my heart and all my love; I cannot love a coward, by my faith.

Then would I prove how well I could complain, For Chanticleer's great fear and all his pain.

There in the sun; and Chanticleer so free
Sang merrier than a mermaid in the sea
:eyebrow:

But he cried "Cock-cock-cock" and did so start
As man who has a sudden fear at heart.
For naturally a beast desires to flee
From any enemy that he may see
:eyebrow:

Granted he has 7 wives, can sing like a mermaid, and the best chicken in the barnyard, but is he a coward? Why does he run away intstead of beating this fox down after he is released? Why does he not attack the fox when he first reveals himself, defending his hens? :confused:

rokamortis
February 5th, 2006, 09:27 AM
DAMN I knew I liked you for some reason Rok :beerchug: . EXCELLENT REPLY. You redeemed my faith in a Coastal education.

Feeling is mutual. :beerchug: I definitely see your points, but then again I also see how the mascot doesn't have to be taken so literally either. Please understand that I'm a Hokie supporter too - so I have no problem with a non-threatening mascot that people eat! I also really like that it is based from a piece of classic literature - not many schools can say that. I would rather cut the ties with SC, but it is part of our history and I just think we have too much momentum now.

Perhaps we can further discuss over a plate of chicken bog at the Elon game? I know that Lapper has disowned CCU, but tell him we hope he is doing well and I'll have a plate with his name on it.

The Gadfly
February 5th, 2006, 09:23 PM
Feeling is mutual. :beerchug: I definitely see your points, but then again I also see how the mascot doesn't have to be taken so literally either. Please understand that I'm a Hokie supporter too - so I have no problem with a non-threatening mascot that people eat! I also really like that it is based from a piece of classic literature - not many schools can say that. I would rather cut the ties with SC, but it is part of our history and I just think we have too much momentum now.

Perhaps we can further discuss over a plate of chicken bog at the Elon game? I know that Lapper has disowned CCU, but tell him we hope he is doing well and I'll have a plate with his name on it.

I think he is done with CCU. He will be heading to the DC area for some kind of officer training. I haven't talked to him in a long while.

I agree that there is a great amount of momentum of spirit for the chantcleer. I know that there may never be a change, but I have to open up some eyes out there to what the Chanticleer is and that there are better alternatives out there. I am the Gadfly :nod: .

When it comes to great classical literature the Iliad, where we get Achaeans, has to one of the greatest. I love the Gobblers too...HOOKIE HOOKIE HI!!!

rokamortis
February 5th, 2006, 09:55 PM
:read: I would really like it if we could get some sort of Beowulf / Grendel connection, but the Iliad is great too.

MarkCCU
February 6th, 2006, 08:40 AM
:read: I would really like it if we could get some sort of Beowulf / Grendel connection, but the Iliad is great too.

Beowulf..fictional animal...lol

MarkCCU
February 6th, 2006, 08:45 AM
i love our logo ...very uniquehttp://www.secsports.com/new/sports/fbc/logos/usc.jpg

looks a tad familiar...just can put my finger on it

1976http://re2.mm-b1.yimg.com/image/451799209

1995http://re2.mm-b1.yimg.com/image/452755018

The Gadfly
February 7th, 2006, 02:56 PM
i love our logo ...very uniquehttp://www.secsports.com/new/sports/fbc/logos/usc.jpg

looks a tad familiar...just can put my finger on it

1976http://re2.mm-b1.yimg.com/image/451799209

1995http://re2.mm-b1.yimg.com/image/452755018

:lmao:

I like the one on top. It already has the "C" for Coastal, just sub the red with teal. xlolx

http://www.secsports.com/new/sports/fbc/logos/usc.jpgOASTAL

MarkCCU
February 7th, 2006, 03:30 PM
:lmao:

I like the one on top. It already has the "C" for Coastal, just sub the red with teal. xlolx

http://www.secsports.com/new/sports/fbc/logos/usc.jpgOASTAL

WAIT! so that one ISN"T our logo?...jesus christ i'm so embarassed...i bought all those souvneirs...i thought i got them cheap b/c the accidently put USC rather CCU...damnit.....DAMNIT! :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

The Gadfly
February 7th, 2006, 06:10 PM
I just thought that there were a lot of Coastal fans up here in Columbia :bang: . I never really could understand why U. of South Carolina keeps that "C"? The last time this state was called "Carolina" it was the Brit's and Columbia was still apart of the Cherokee Nation.

rokamortis
February 7th, 2006, 06:59 PM
LMAO. Damn you guys are brutal.

MarkCCU
February 8th, 2006, 08:46 AM
i couldn't get the bird teal

DotCat
February 8th, 2006, 12:30 PM
Keep your unique mascot. We at WCU have the same problem, people are always asking, "what the heck is a Catamount"?

OL FU
February 8th, 2006, 01:21 PM
Keep your unique mascot. We at WCU have the same problem, people are always asking, "what the heck is a Catamount"?

For ten years straight it was a cute little pussycat :)

Amazing how ones opinion changes during one very long three hour period :mad: :D

AUCATAMOUNT
February 8th, 2006, 01:53 PM
Gadfly, I hate to burst your bubble but the name Tigers was not copied by Auburn from Princeton, It actually comes from the same poem as the name of the town Auburn.

Auburn, Alabama, “the loveliest village on the plains,” got its name from the poem The Deserted Village, by Oliver Goldsmith:

“Sweet Auburn! Loveliest village of the plain,

Where health and plenty cheer’d the labouring swain,

Where smiling spring its earliest visit paid,

And parting summer’s lingering blooms delay’d..."

and later in the poem...

"Where crouching tigers wait their hapless prey",

The Gadfly
February 9th, 2006, 01:07 PM
AU - THAT's RIGHT! I forgot all about that. My grandpappy went to Auburn and told me that when I was a kid. Sorry about the confusion. Did you know that one of the old Clemson coaches ame from Auburn and brought the Tiger nickname with him?

Have you read the whole thread. I'm not saying "Lets find a common mascot." I am all for a unique mascot and that's why I think we should use the Achaeans or even the ..."SANDLAPPERS." :D I just don't want a coward for a mascot. xidiotx

JaxSinfonian
February 23rd, 2006, 11:49 AM
It's always bothered me that Coastal's logo features a chicken with teeth.

Well, not anymore.

http://education.guardian.co.uk/higher/research/story/0,,1716328,00.html (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/It%27s%20always%20bothered%20me%20that%20Coastal%2 7s%20logo%20featured%20a%20chicken%20with%20teeth. )

"If you thought hen's teeth were the rarest thing in nature, think again: researchers from Britain and the US have succeeded in growing teeth in a chicken.

Far from being rarer than students who turn up at 9am lectures or lecturers who like giving them, a hen with teeth does occur naturally, scientists based at the universities of Manchester and Wisconsin have found.

And by studying that mutant chicken - which is too weak to hatch, explaining its rarity - the team has been able to stimulate "natural" tooth growth in chickens."

Jaques
February 24th, 2006, 03:05 PM
it will never change so you might as well get used to it. Chanticleer means too much for too many people...in case you missed him on coastal today, mike pruitt '84 has named a financial firm in Charlotte...Chanticleer Holdings and has hired all Coastal Grads. Coastal has made the chanticleer its own.

rokamortis
February 24th, 2006, 05:35 PM
It's always bothered me that Coastal's logo features a chicken with teeth.

That is pretty funny - I never quite understood why they did it either, I guess things just look meaner with teeth. Thanks for the article.

Lapper
February 25th, 2006, 01:25 PM
it will never change so you might as well get used to it. Chanticleer means too much for too many people...in case you missed him on coastal today, mike pruitt '84 has named a financial firm in Charlotte...Chanticleer Holdings and has hired all Coastal Grads. Coastal has made the chanticleer its own.

HOLD UP...someone named their business after a chicken ...

: giveadam

Well I guess the issue is over with because a USC-Coastal Carolina grad (who possibly transfered to USC) named his company after his college's mascot. xlolx You Junior Gamecocks crack me up.

I guess you don't understand that the Gadfly is trying to help, not hurt the university. We both have tried to explain on the CoastalFans.com site that it is hard to start traditions with the Junior Gamecock/ Chanticleer. You helped prove that theory when we asked you to come up with rooster ideas for traditions and you couldn't. WE even tried to help by coming up with SOMETHING related to roosters, but you shot those ideas down as well. The only tradition that Coastal fans have come up with is a chant: C-I ... N-O! Weeeeeeeeee...what fun :rolleyes: . Your excuse was that traditions take time. No they don't. They take dedication and communication, both of which Coastal seems to be lacking between the fans, students, alumni, and ADMINISTRATION. I think if you have the chance to choose the image of what is suppose to represent your school, athletics, and region, a teal chicken would not be on the top of many schools' list. Unless that school was located on a LSD farm: retard : .

I think, honostly, that the school should consider "Sandlappers" because it is the nickname for South Carolinians (like "Tarheel" is for North Carolinians) and the dictionary defines it as an "inhabitant of the coastal regions of the SE United States." It can't get any more obvious than that.

rokamortis
February 25th, 2006, 01:51 PM
The communication does need to be improved, but every year it gets a little bit better.

I have said before that I like Chanticleer but wouldn't be opposed to changing the mascot. The Sandlappers with a turtle (stolen from the achaens suggestion) as the mascot would be great. But making it happen is the tough part.

Before football started the administration did investigate changing the mascot and found a lot of resistance from the students and alumni.

MarkCCU
February 26th, 2006, 10:07 PM

Well I guess the issue is over with because a USC-Coastal Carolina grad (who possibly transfered to USC) named his company after his college's mascot. xlolx You Junior Gamecocks crack me up.

I guess you don't understand that the Gadfly is trying to help, not hurt the university. We both have tried to explain on the CoastalFans.com site that it is hard to start traditions with the Junior Gamecock/ Chanticleer. You helped prove that theory when we asked you to come up with rooster ideas for traditions and you couldn't. WE even tried to help by coming up with SOMETHING related to roosters, but you shot those ideas down as well. The only tradition that Coastal fans have come up with is a chant: C-I ... N-O! Weeeeeeeeee...what fun :rolleyes: . Your excuse was that traditions take time. No they don't. They take dedication and communication, both of which Coastal seems to be lacking between the fans, students, alumni, and ADMINISTRATION. I think if you have the chance to choose the image of what is suppose to represent your school, athletics, and region, a teal chicken would not be on the top of many schools' list. Unless that school was located on a LSD farm: retard : .

I think, honostly, that the school should consider "Sandlappers" because it is the nickname for South Carolinians (like "Tarheel" is for North Carolinians) and the dictionary defines it as an "inhabitant of the coastal regions of the SE United States." It can't get any more obvious than that.

I agree, Gadfly and I discuss this all the time. I like Sandlappers as a mascot, the mascot can be a real person and more entertaining than a fictional bird.

Jaques
February 27th, 2006, 01:44 PM

I'm not sure who this is directed to, but I have not said anything about traditions...
i'm merely defending having Chanticleer as a mascot.

Why are you faulting someone because thet graduated in '84? He did not transfer from USC, was a star baseball player, and he is taking ownership in his Alma Mater. Contrary to you, it's a good thing.

I have never said that Gadfly's or anybody's opinion of a mascot change is trying to hurt the university.

And I didn't shoot anybody's ideas down for trying help.

Again, I don't know if your directing anger and sarcastic attitude at me, but it's pathetic either way.

BTW, what exactly does a Sandlapper look like?

Jaques
February 27th, 2006, 02:02 PM

Sandlappers would be unique.

windwalker
February 27th, 2006, 03:08 PM

Sandlappers would be unique.

But then... so is the Chanticleer !!!!

JoltinJoe
February 28th, 2006, 06:21 AM
For the record, Texas State was the first University to use the Bobcats. Everyone else copied us.

Fordham is in the same boat.

Fordham's use of the "Rams" nickname dates to the 1880s. During a baseball game at West Point one day, the students started a chant: "one damn, two damn, three damn, Fordham!" The Jesuits, however, were offended by the use of profanity and directed the students to stop the cheer. So the students started chanting instead, "one Ram, two Ram, three Ram, Fordham!" And a nickname was born.

So there you have it. Our nickname resulted because it rhymed with a profanity. Now there's tradition for you!

With Fordham's athletic success and great popularity during the first half of the 20th century, many colleges and high schools adopted the Rams nickname. But we were undeniably the first to use the name.

In fact, the NFL Rams (founded in 1936) not only admittedly took the Fordham nickname, but they also originally used the Fordham colors in order to appeal to Fordham's nationwide following.

Rams History -- Fun Facts (http://www.stlouisrams.com/History/FunFacts/)

The Gadfly
February 28th, 2006, 06:00 PM
I'm not going to speak for Lapper but it sounds to me that most of what he was saying was directed to a group. What does a Tarheel look like?

Mark, I agree.

Lapper, I kinda agree.

Jolten Joe, cool.

The Gadfly
March 1st, 2006, 07:32 PM
To tell you the truth, I hate that we have to still use the same mascot that had to correlate with the old "step-parent" school's mascot, the gamecock. We changed the name of the school, school colors, seal,etc; everything but the chicken. Maybe we should go back to being USC-CC, red and black, and stay in the COOP forever. I thought we split from USC but apparently I was mistaken. :doh: