PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Suspends Montana St Player

TexasTerror
September 21st, 2010, 03:52 PM
Just rec'd this in my inbox - when a link becomes available, I or someone else will post it... seems the Big Sky is ringing up people each week!

OGDEN, UTAH (Sept. 21, 2010) -The Big Sky Conference announced Tuesday that it has suspended Montana State football player Jason D’Alba for one game, a suspension that will run concurrent with the one-game suspension issued by Montana State University on Sunday.

D’Alba, a senior defensive lineman from Glencoe, Ill., has been suspended for a helmet-to-helmet hit on the Drake quarterback during Montana State’s 48-21 victory over the Bulldogs on Saturday.

D’Alba was penalized for a personal foul on the field. NCAA rules require conferences to review helmet-to-helmet hits. After reviewing the film Sunday, Montana State coach Rob Ash announced D’Alba would be suspended for one game.

TexasTerror
September 21st, 2010, 04:01 PM
Link... http://www.bigskyconf.com/news/2010/9/21/FB_0921105539.aspx

DJOM
September 21st, 2010, 05:11 PM
Intentional helmet to helmet. Knocked Drake quarterback out of game. Kid probably will not play this week.

catbob
September 21st, 2010, 05:34 PM
Suspended by both Coach Ash & the Big Sky (and Will Holden? :) ) for the EWU game.

twentythreeOh4
September 21st, 2010, 10:37 PM
Very blatant cheap shot.

Here's an article from the Bozeman Newspaper about it.
D'Alba Deserves Suspension (http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/sports/bobcats/article_f0c4a2c8-c3b2-11df-9975-001cc4c03286.html)

catbob
September 21st, 2010, 11:18 PM
Very blatant cheap shot.

Here's an article from the Bozeman Newspaper about it.
D'Alba Deserves Suspension (http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/sports/bobcats/article_f0c4a2c8-c3b2-11df-9975-001cc4c03286.html)

That is Will Holden, the guy I joked also suspended D'Alba. The joke is due to that column by our local sports writer, and it caused quite the *****storm on the Bobcat message board.

D'Alba deserved the suspension though.

clawman
September 23rd, 2010, 11:33 PM
Intentional helmet to helmet. Knocked Drake quarterback out of game. Kid probably will not play this week.

The culprit who committed the offense should sit out until the victim is able to return to play.

catbob
September 24th, 2010, 04:56 PM
The culprit who committed the offense should sit out until the victim is able to return to play.

Did you see the hit? It was late, but it wasn't malicious by any stretch. He deserves a game, no more.

CopperCat
September 24th, 2010, 05:03 PM

The NCAA has rules in place to cover scenarios like this one. The rules were followed, the player was suspended according to those rules. Nothing more to it than that. If you don't like the rules, then get on the rules committee.

Walkon79
September 24th, 2010, 05:18 PM
My thoughts exactly. I was at the game but didn't see the hit until Sunday on a replay. While the suspension was warranted, I've seen way worse not even get penalized. D'Alba received a personal foul and after Ash reviewed the tape he levied a one game suspension. Sorry the kid got hurt and it was a cheap shot, but not as nasty as everyone is making it out to be.

TexasTerror
September 28th, 2010, 02:30 PM
And another one... just got in e-mail, will post link when it's available.

OGDEN, UTAH (Sept. 28, 2010) - The Big Sky Conference has suspended Montana State safety Jordan Craney for one game, league Commissioner Doug Fullerton announced Tuesday.
Craney, a senior from Pocatello, Idaho, was suspended for his hit above the shoulders on a defenseless Eastern Washington receiver. The violation occurred with 9:13 remaining in the second quarter of Montana State’s 30-7 victory over Eastern Washington.
Craney was penalized in the game for a violation of Rule 9-1, Article 3b of the 2009-10 NCAA Football Rules. The rule states, “No player shall imitate contact and target a defenseless opponent above the shoulders.’’

http://www.bigskyconf.com/news/2010/9/28/FB_0928103109.aspx

profisme
September 28th, 2010, 03:18 PM
“No player shall imitate contact and target a defenseless opponent above the shoulders.’’

I am guessing the rule says "initiate contact" not "imitate contact" unless they just forgot to use commas and it was supposed to read "no player shall imitate, contact, and target..." The imitation just adds mental abuse to the physical abuse taken in the contact. But in all seriousness, this is a load of crap by the Big Sky Conference. I have yet to hear of any player being suspended for "targeting" a receiver across the middle in this conference although at least one other whom I am aware of has gotten penalized for it in a game. I won't name names, but it rhymes with Schmimmy Schmilson from the Schmuniversity of Schmontana. This hit was probably worthy of a flag under the new rules, but to suspend him is just ridiculous.

Walkon79
September 28th, 2010, 04:59 PM
How bout suspending the EWU O lineman for cutting Ogden from behind after he got beat on a pass rush. Just as dangerous IMO. That kid also got flagged, but nothing from the league. If you've seen the replay of the Craney hit, I think most would agree that a suspension is BS in this case.

CopperCat
September 28th, 2010, 10:08 PM
How bout suspending the EWU O lineman for cutting Ogden from behind after he got beat on a pass rush. Just as dangerous IMO. That kid also got flagged, but nothing from the league. If you've seen the replay of the Craney hit, I think most would agree that a suspension is BS in this case.

That was the dirtiest play of the entire game, not Craney's hit, but yet there is no suspension from the Bull**** Sky Conference for that. Fullerton should go choke himself for suspending Craney. Watch the replay, he left his feet while leading with his shoulder pad. Was a personal foul waranted? Yes, probably. Should a suspension have been issued? Not in a million years. If I am Coach Ash, I'm calling Fullerton every single day reapealing this garbage ruling. Just goes to show you how out of touch some of these people are that are supposedly running the conference.

Walkon79
September 29th, 2010, 09:45 AM
This topic reached 5 pages on Bobcat Nation yesterday. One thought... The Cats are the only school in the Big Sky to have all but two of their games televised in digital HD. Seems like it would be difficult to apply any rule consistently at the league office when there are huge discrepencies in access to good quality video to review.

laxVik
September 29th, 2010, 11:06 AM
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQgMni5ZcB7k0DlA1BqNBYswVOySl2XB WljeFLS_mv3Xpin8UU&t=1&usg=__1Qkgbu7iRuUuLtrs37xsyTZSiqQ=

GtFllsGriz
September 29th, 2010, 02:47 PM
The conference should stay out of it. What about all the hits that are not on video? Do they then start taking people's word for how bad the hit was or is it just the players that are caught on tape? Not a good precedence to start or can or worms to open.