PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting Question and the West

UNH_Alum_In_CT
January 30th, 2006, 01:47 PM
Saw this reported in today's Manchester (NH) Union Leader:

Add the name R.J. Toman to the list of high school players planning to sign national letters of intent to accept football scholarships to the University of New Hampshire.

Toman is a 6-foot-1, 195-pound quarterback out of one of the best high school programs in the country in Mission Viejo, Calif.

"He's an outstanding player," said Mission Viejo coach Bob Johnson yesterday. "He had a great senior year. He was the MVP of our league and on our team alone we had a player going to Notre Dame and another to UCLA. He had a huge year. I think he had 27 touchdown passes and five interceptions."

Mission Viejo was ranked No. 2 in the country most of the year before being upset in its last game of the year, and finished 12-1.

Toman's chose UNH over another I-AA power, Eastern Washington, at the end. Idaho State offered him a scholarship and Wisconsin was interested, Johnson said.

"I was little bit surprised, with the kind of kid he is, that he wasn't staying out here and going to a Pac-10 school," Johnson said. "He's that good."

Johnson, it should be noted, knows a thing or two about quarterbacks. He runs a well-known quarterback camp, he worked with Carson Palmer for years and coached a couple of his own sons at the position. One, Rob, played with Jacksonville, Buffalo and Tampa Bay in a National Football League career that has covered nine seasons so far.

High school players sign their national letters of intent on Wednesday.

Actual Article (but nothing additional about football) (http://www.theunionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=UNH+Notebook%3a+Maine+looms+ large&articleId=917d3c28-9241-4de4-9534-8f68a9a9da9e)

UNH is starting to consistently make California a recruiting ground. Has anybody seen Toman play? This sounds like a good signing for UNH, but I don't really follow all the recruiting stuff.

eagle1
January 30th, 2006, 03:57 PM
He is a really great get for New Hampshire. It was down between UNH and EWU and I guess he wanted to get away from the west coast. His HS program is outstanding and he has been around a winning program so he knows how to win. Once again, congratulations on getting him. I wish that he would have chose to be an Eagle but we can't get them all. Go Eagles!!!