PDA

View Full Version : UNI at Iowa State Game Thread

bonarae
September 20th, 2010, 03:27 AM
Iowa State is currently 1-2 in the FBS season. UNI may fall a bit because of the close loss to Stephen F. Austin, but will still be ranked in the top 25.

UNI has a decent chance to pull an upset here. But this will surely be a close one.

Gil Dobie
September 20th, 2010, 07:54 AM
Sagarin has Iowa St ranked lower than Kansas, so UNI should have no problem with the Clones.

RabidRabbit
September 20th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Sagarin has Iowa St ranked lower than Kansas, so UNI should have no problem with the Clones.

It was great to see the Bison spring lose on the KS Jayhawks. Bison exposed many issues for the Jayhawks that the Jayhawks turned around and resolved for the Ga Tech game.

The UNI/ISU should be the grudge match that it typically is, with neither team winning by much. This is a reasonable opportunity for UNI to pick up another FCS over FBS win. I will note that the last two seasons, that the Clones have won their FCS games against fellow MVFC teams.

But definitely have to like the Panthers' chances in Ames much better than Jacks in Lincoln! xbangxxbangx

Gil Dobie
September 20th, 2010, 12:20 PM
It was great to see the Bison spring lose on the KS Jayhawks. Bison exposed many issues for the Jayhawks that the Jayhawks turned around and resolved for the Ga Tech game.

The UNI/ISU should be the grudge match that it typically is, with neither team winning by much. This is a reasonable opportunity for UNI to pick up another FCS over FBS win. I will note that the last two seasons, that the Clones have won their FCS games against fellow MVFC teams.

But definitely have to like the Panthers' chances in Ames much better than Jacks in Lincoln! xbangxxbangx

However better Kansas may be, NDSU looked better with a different QB, althougth it was against Morgan St, Mohler wasn't doing much before he was injured. Jensen came in and lit up the scoreboard with 3 TD passes. All that being said, UNI can with this one.

UNIFanSince1983
September 20th, 2010, 12:53 PM
I think it really depends on which quarterback we have playing this week. While I love Rennie and what he has done for us, he isn't really a passer. I think we need Davis in this week to stand a chance. Davis is undefeated as a starter. We also need to not turn the ball over in the redzone. I believe we only have two redzone scores this season and they were both field goals. While having fumbled while inside the redzone 5 times and missed two field goals. IF we eliminate mistakes we have a great chance to win. If we do not we will get taken to the shed.

nmatsen
September 20th, 2010, 01:19 PM
I think it really depends on which quarterback we have playing this week. While I love Rennie and what he has done for us, he isn't really a passer. I think we need Davis in this week to stand a chance. Davis is undefeated as a starter. We also need to not turn the ball over in the redzone. I believe we only have two redzone scores this season and they were both field goals. While having fumbled while inside the redzone 5 times and missed two field goals. IF we eliminate mistakes we have a great chance to win. If we do not we will get taken to the shed.

Rennie has accounted for over 700 yards of offense in two games, your post just mentions that in two weeks, against two top 15 FCS teams, we have been in the Red Zone 5 times (actually 7, Rennie led 6 times) and yet you want to replace him? Oh, and those turnovers you speak of, Rennie isn't responsible for any of them.

We are a better football team with him on the field. It doesn't hurt us though that Paul Rhodes might be scratching his head a little this week.

achrist70
September 20th, 2010, 10:09 PM
Rennie has accounted for over 700 yards of offense in two games, your post just mentions that in two weeks, against two top 15 FCS teams, we have been in the Red Zone 5 times (actually 7, Rennie led 6 times) and yet you want to replace him? Oh, and those turnovers you speak of, Rennie isn't responsible for any of them.

We are a better football team with him on the field. It doesn't hurt us though that Paul Rhodes might be scratching his head a little this week.

I believe that he fumbled at the 2 yard line going in. With that being said I think that we need Rennie on the field he takes pressure off of Carlos. Although Davis might be able to get the ball to our plethora of receivers. I really don't know what I want.

da_Bison
September 20th, 2010, 11:28 PM
I'll take UNI in this one, chalk up another W for FCS............................

SFA is a very good football team (playoff team this year) and UNI pritty much handed them the W

nmatsen
September 21st, 2010, 10:03 AM
I believe that he fumbled at the 2 yard line going in. With that being said I think that we need Rennie on the field he takes pressure off of Carlos. Although Davis might be able to get the ball to our plethora of receivers. I really don't know what I want.

Must have been during one of my many trips with young Matsen to the restroom. My apologies. None the less, I don't think Rennie or Carlos is our problem (aside from holding on the to the ball), once we get some consistent play calling for our new system we will be in good shape. Going with Zack makes us one dimensional, Rennie just gives defenses too much to prepare for. Give him dime, he makes his 3rd start ever in 4 days.

Big Al
September 21st, 2010, 10:50 AM
I'll take UNI in this one, chalk up another W for FCS............................

SFA is a very good football team (playoff team this year) and UNI pritty much handed them the W

I hope you're right. Unfortunately, the same problems that made for a narrow W over NDSU is exactly what forced the L against SFA.

Frustrating, because I don't think we really have a good picture of what UNI is really capable of this year. Yes, there have been flashes, but until everything is put together in one game I am going to put this year's squad in the "underachieving" column. ISU will be no gimme, they're going to be motivated after a pounding by Iowa and that close loss to the Wildcats.