PDA

View Full Version : NW State Announces 3 I-A Games

TexasTerror
January 30th, 2006, 07:16 AM
What we've known for sometime is now official. Two Big 12 games, one SEC game and we now have learned that NW State will play Delaware State. Pretty nice I-AA matchup for the Demons!

Three I-A teams dot NSU schedule
Ole Miss, Kansas, Baylor to face Demons on football field.
January 30, 2006

By Scott Ferrell
[email protected]

Northwestern State will get a double dose of the Big 12 Conference to open the 2006 football season.

The Demons open the season at Kansas on Sept. 2 and then travel to Baylor on Sept. 9. NSU will also play Delaware State on Sept. 16 and at Ole Miss on Nov. 4 in addition to its Southland Conference schedule.

"I think it's a good schedule," NSU athletic director Greg Burke said. "Obviously, it's a very challenging schedule but I think it speaks well to the competitive level of our program to be able to play that kind of schedule. We recruit the kind of players that can play that type of schedule."

That type of schedule could be particularly tough at the start of the season with the trips to Kansas and Baylor.

"I think if you could lay it out ideally you may not want to have them back to back," Burke said. "At the same time, we're excited about the opportunity, especially excited about the game in Waco because we have got such a strong presence with our alumni base and our student base in the east part of Texas.

"That was the third piece. We already had the other two (Kansas and Ole Miss). That was exciting to us because of what it would mean for our alumni and students."

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060130/SPORTS02/601300307/1001/SPORTS

colgate13
January 30th, 2006, 07:39 AM
Jeez... they must have some bills to pay. I guess we know who pretty much won't be in the playoffs, short of going 8-0 against I-AA's and probably getting the autobid.

Good luck NW State!

lucchesicourt
January 30th, 2006, 07:49 AM
One tough, gutsy schedule, this is. If not the toughest schedule in D1AA, I pity anyone with a more difficult one.

ChickenMan
January 30th, 2006, 08:22 AM
Del St seems to be making major strides under their new coach... Al Lavan and they have recently picked up what look to be... some quality JC transfers to add to an already improved program. Del St days as a I-AA dormat may soon be over and they may in fact... have a pretty decent team in '06.

Dallas Demon
January 30th, 2006, 08:43 AM
Jeez... they must have some bills to pay. I guess we know who pretty much won't be in the playoffs, short of going 8-0 against I-AA's and probably getting the autobid.

Good luck NW State!

Unfortunately you are right. Due to the hurricanes, the state has dramatically cut funding. In our case, we are forced to find a "creative" way to stay afloat.

colgate13
January 30th, 2006, 09:29 AM
Unfortunately you are right. Due to the hurricanes, the state has dramatically cut funding. In our case, we are forced to find a "creative" way to stay afloat.

By any means necessary, please do so!

I'm sure all of I-AA will be rooting for the Demons at least 3 times this year... :nod:

GeauxLions94
January 30th, 2006, 10:02 AM

Hey, so are we ... games in 2006 against three bowl teams in Texas Tech (Cotton Bowl), Southern Miss (New Orleans/Lafayette Bowl) and New Mexico State (Toilet Bowl) xlolx

Umass74
January 30th, 2006, 11:15 AM
Hey, so are we ... games in 2006 against three bowl teams in Texas Tech (Cotton Bowl), Southern Miss (New Orleans/Lafayette Bowl) and New Mexico State (Toilet Bowl)

The first two might be a tough row to hoe, but my money is on you guys against New Mexico State! :)

TxSt02
January 30th, 2006, 11:47 AM
looks like both NW St and SELA will need a couple of these:
http://www.synergyguitars.com/Coffin-Case/Body-Bag.jpg

SoCon Din
January 30th, 2006, 11:56 AM
We'll be rootin tootin for ya!

Looks like the Citadel of the Southland resides in McNeese, at least for this year. By schedule only. The del always seems to play two 1-A games a season.

DTSpider
January 30th, 2006, 12:08 PM
Now, this is the type of schedule you need if you go 7-4 to have a playoff hope.

bobcatfan06
January 30th, 2006, 01:05 PM
If you guys get beat up from all those I-A games, its going to be a tough road to hoe in the SLC.