PDA

View Full Version : Week 3: Playoff Prognostications

TexasTerror
September 19th, 2010, 07:11 AM
The most recent playoff prognostications, courtesy of TT.

And criticize me all you want, but it sure is fun to take a stab at this thing and I'd encourage you guys to try as well! xnodx

PREVIOUS PROGNOSTICATIONS
Memorial Day (http://anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?t=69543)
End of June (http://anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?69953-End-of-June-Playoff-Prognostications)
Start of August (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?70430-Start-of-August-Playoff-Prognostications)
Week 1 (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?73204-Week-1-Playoff-Prognostications)
Week 2 (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?73887-Week-2-Playoff-Prognostications)

AUTOMATIC BIDS (10)
Note: Yes, I know Coastal Carolina is 0-3, but I like their combination of results better than anyone else - as the league had a very less than impressive week, so they are my current pick to win the Big South.
Big Sky: Eastern Washington
Big South: Coastal Carolina
Colonial: Villanova
MEAC: South Carolina State
Missouri Valley: Illinois State
Northeast: Robert Morris
Ohio Valley: Jacksonville State
Patriot: Lehigh
SoCon: Appalachian State
Southland: Stephen F. Austin

AT-LARGE BIDS (10)
Colonial: Delaware, Richmond, James Madison, Massachussetts
Missouri Valley: North Dakota State, Missouri State, Youngstown State
Ohio Valley: Southeast Missouri
Southern: Georgia Southern
Southland: Central Arkansas

OPENING ROUND GAMES
Southeast Missouri @ Missouri State
Robert Morris @ South Carolina State
Lehigh @ Massachussets
Coastal Carolina @ Central Arkansas

SECOND ROUND GAMES

Lehigh/UMass winner @ #1 Villanova
Georgia Southern @ Richmond

Central Arkansas/Coastal Carolina winner @ #4 Jacksonville State
Illinois State @ James Madison

Robert Morris/South Carolina State winner #2 Appalachian State
Youngstown State @ Delaware

Missouri State/SE Missouri winner @ #3 Stephen F. Austin
North Dakota State @ Eastern Washington

th0m
September 19th, 2010, 07:19 AM
I'd give UMass the first round bye over Richmond based on yesterday's performances.

TexasTerror
September 19th, 2010, 07:28 AM
I'd give UMass the first round bye over Richmond based on yesterday's performances.

It will all work out... UMass and Richmond 'dance' in a few weeks!

The CAA is hard to project and mess with because you guys will beat on each other, potentially knock one or two out of the playoffs completely along the way...

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 19th, 2010, 07:42 AM
My second SoCon team would be Furman. Much as I hate to say it, I think we were pretty much exposed yesterday. Towson had 363 yards against Coastal, which I assume counts 5 overtimes. GSU gave up 441 yards. Ouch.

Guess we'll know for sure this week when Elon comes to Statesboro, though.

umassfan
September 19th, 2010, 07:48 AM
UMass right now is at least the 3rd best CAA team. If we play this way the rest of the season, we will not be playing on opening round.

th0m
September 19th, 2010, 07:49 AM

The CAA is hard to project and mess with because you guys will beat on each other, potentially knock one or two out of the playoffs completely along the way...

Definitely. Maybe W&M and UNH will bounce back from their bad games this weekend, or URI will continue to wreak havoc or - dare I say it - grab an at-large bid! If anything, this 3rd week might have actually made the prognostications harder instead of easier ;)

rufus
September 19th, 2010, 07:49 AM
So JMU dropped from #1 to unseeded while not playing a game? And Jacksonville State moved up for barely getting by a first-year program that lost to Lambuth the previous week? I have to say I don't really understand this weekly thread.

TexasTerror
September 19th, 2010, 07:52 AM
So JMU dropped from #1 to unseeded while not playing a game? And Jacksonville State moved up for barely getting by a first-year program that lost to Lambuth the previous week? I have to say I don't really understand this weekly thread.

The thread is meant to generate discussion...

Jacksonville State is very highly ranked in the polls and SFA had a big win over Northern Iowa, that justifies their top four seeding. Montana fell out after their second loss in two weeks and Villanova is actually No. 1 ranked in my poll. Outside of Villanova, who I project to win the CAA, I expect the CAA to beat up on each other and make it difficult for another CAA team to get a top four seed. Did leave you guys at home...

GoGSU
September 19th, 2010, 07:53 AM

And criticize me all you want, but it sure is fun to take a stab at this thing and I'd encourage you guys to try as well! xnodx

End of June (http://anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?69953-End-of-June-Playoff-Prognostications)
Start of August (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?70430-Start-of-August-Playoff-Prognostications)
Week 1 (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?73204-Week-1-Playoff-Prognostications)
Week 2 (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?73887-Week-2-Playoff-Prognostications)

AUTOMATIC BIDS (10)
Note: Yes, I know Coastal Carolina is 0-3, but I like their combination of results better than anyone else - as the league had a very less than impressive week, so they are my current pick to win the Big South.

AT-LARGE BIDS (10)

OPENING ROUND GAMES
Lehigh @ Massachussets

SECOND ROUND GAMES

Now we're talking......we are going to shock Elon and begin to get back where we belong!

caribbeanhen
September 19th, 2010, 08:02 AM

AUTOMATIC BIDS (10)

AT-LARGE BIDS (10)

OPENING ROUND GAMES
Lehigh @ Massachussets

SECOND ROUND GAMES

5 in from the CAA, UNH drops out after ugly loss to URI and my how fast WM has fallen - now the CAA season starts and you know there will be some surprises

Saint3333
September 19th, 2010, 08:28 AM
No Furman, not sure about that. They gained over 300 yards of offense on a top 20 FBS defense.

JSU02
September 19th, 2010, 08:38 AM

At least you are getting better...

El Gato
September 19th, 2010, 10:06 AM
UCA at Large for the SLC...really? I'm not sure if the SLC will get two teams in this year, but if they did I would have Texas State or McNeese ahead of UCA for an at large, and in that order. I say Texas State only because McNeese has not come out as strong thus far this year, and UCA needed a blocked field goal to defeat a winless Murray State who was slated to finish last in the OVC.

TexasTerror
September 19th, 2010, 10:09 AM
UCA at Large for the SLC...really? I'm not sure if the SLC will get two teams in this year, but if they did I would have Texas State or McNeese ahead of UCA for an at large, and in that order. I say Texas State only because McNeese has not come out as strong thus far this year, and UCA needed a blocked field goal to defeat a winless Murray State who was slated to finish last in the OVC.

TXST has one Div I win and eight games to go...

Southern Utah has always been a thorn in your side and until you overcome that, tough to get on your bandwagon. Would still probably need to go 5-2 in SLC play, which may not be much an easy task...

UCA has two Div I wins and eight games to go... ball is in their court. UCA loses to Tulsa likely next week, but I can see them finishing 8-3 this season (losses to SFA, Tulsa and perhaps one other) and getting in (7-3 vs Div I).

DOME
September 19th, 2010, 01:18 PM
I wouldn't count UNI out just yet...we have a LOT of talent...just need a little coaching.

We'll be there.

TexasTerror
September 19th, 2010, 01:22 PM
I wouldn't count UNI out just yet...we have a LOT of talent...just need a little coaching.

We'll be there.

You will most likely be 1-2 after next week's FBS game...

The Missouri Valley Conference schedule is what it is. The Illinois schools could be a thorn in your side. Is a 7-4 MVFC team going to get in? With 20 teams, perhaps. You better beat a team or two who is in playoff consideration...

TheBisonator
September 19th, 2010, 03:14 PM
NDSU would outbid EWU for a playoff home game, though I'm not sure how much stock the committee takes in non-seeded team's resumes in determining home sites...

DX Man
September 19th, 2010, 03:17 PM
Now we're talking......we are going to shock Elon and begin to get back where we belong!

Shock who? LOL I will be shocked if you don't beat them.

PantherRob82
September 19th, 2010, 03:27 PM
No UNI? They lost by 2 to your number 3 seed in a game where they fumbled 3 times in the red zone...

TexasTerror
September 19th, 2010, 04:36 PM
No UNI? They lost by 2 to your number 3 seed in a game where they fumbled 3 times in the red zone...

See above...

A loss to FBS next week puts you at 1-2. You guys are going to struggle with how tough the MVFC seems to get to the seven Div I wins...

BEAR
September 19th, 2010, 04:44 PM

Texas State ahead of McNeese or UCA?...really? Tough games happen and UCA had their bad one last night. But I wouldn't talk about having bad games until you look at Texas State's game vs. Division II Southern Arkansas. From the Texas State website:

The Texas State football team scored 28 unanswered points to win its 15th straight home-opening game with a 31-17 comeback victory over Southern Arkansas Saturday night on Jim Wacker Field at Bobcat Stadium.

A comeback win against SAU? ...really?...and Texas State gets the nod over McNeese and UCA? I don't know who gets the possible at large bid because it's too early to tell right now. That's the difference right now. It's in the hands of EVERY team right now..minus Sam Houston. LOL.

TexasTerror
September 19th, 2010, 04:48 PM
It's in the hands of EVERY team right now..minus Sam Houston. LOL.

SHSU is two games from being eliminated. Nicholls is one game from being gone-zo. Thanks! :)

BlueHenSinfonian
September 19th, 2010, 06:45 PM
5 in from the CAA, UNH drops out after ugly loss to URI and my how fast WM has fallen - now the CAA season starts and you know there will be some surprises

I'm looking forward to the meaty CAA games starting next week. So far the only decent one we've had was UMass v. W&M, although URI over UNH was a surprising upset. Is UNH over-rated this year, is URI under-rated, or was it just one of those flukes where things don't go as they should? Delaware has a tough schedule ahead with road games against three of the remaining four CAA power players - Richmond, JMU, and UMass. If Delaware can win at least two of those, and take out 'Nova at home in the final game of the regular season, they have a great chance at winning the CAA.

Eaglesrus
September 19th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Shock who? LOL I will be shocked if you don't beat them.

Thanks for the positive vibes, but our OL and pass defense have to get a LOT better in one week for us to compete Saturday.

ngineer
September 19th, 2010, 09:42 PM
The Patriot League is a total mishmash right now. Other than Bucknell, it would appear that any of the other five could win this.

tribefan40
September 19th, 2010, 10:12 PM
I'm looking forward to the meaty CAA games starting next week. So far the only decent one we've had was UMass v. W&M, although URI over UNH was a surprising upset. Is UNH over-rated this year, is URI under-rated, or was it just one of those flukes where things don't go as they should? Delaware has a tough schedule ahead with road games against three of the remaining four CAA power players - Richmond, JMU, and UMass. If Delaware can win at least two of those, and take out 'Nova at home in the final game of the regular season, they have a great chance at winning the CAA.

I wouldn't be overlooking the trip to Williamsburg...

BlueHenSinfonian
September 19th, 2010, 10:18 PM
I wouldn't be overlooking the trip to Williamsburg...

Heh, we have y'all on the road too don't we. Somebody was asleep at the wheel when they figured out UD's schedule this year...

Twentysix
September 20th, 2010, 12:57 AM
I love how i was on another board last week, and almost everyone was picking SDSU or SIU to win the MVC, now this week neither are in the atlarge bids.

Its still early, I do like how NDSU is sticking around in your atlarge bid. Id really like NDSU to win the conference so we can host a game. Do atlarge teams get to host a first round ever, very often?

401ks
September 20th, 2010, 01:48 AM
Just glanced at this thread (and prior Playoff Prognostications threads) for the first time tonight.

xlolx Northeast Conference AQ pick has gone from Central Connecticut to Albany to Duquesne to Robert Morris. Will it be Wagner or Monmouth next week? Are you sure that St. Francis won't be "in the mix". After all, they beat NEC foe Sacred Heart 41-0.

You claimed last week that Duquesne "won't be in the mix" for the AQ. :p I wouldn't be so positive about that if I were you.

Great entertainment thread. It's given me a few laughs. Thank you. xsmileyclapx

Col Hogan
September 20th, 2010, 06:33 AM

AUTOMATIC BIDS (10)

AT-LARGE BIDS (10)

OPENING ROUND GAMES
Lehigh @ Massachussets

SECOND ROUND GAMES

Would you mind spelling MASSACHUSETTS correctly... xbangx

tribefan40
September 20th, 2010, 08:08 AM

No doubt. Two of the three teams with a conference win were unranked when the season began, and both were against top 5 teams (at the time). I'm looking forward to a couple 'upsets' every week. xrotatehx

jmufan999
September 20th, 2010, 08:39 AM
Just glanced at this thread (and prior Playoff Prognostications threads) for the first time tonight.

xlolx Northeast Conference AQ pick has gone from Central Connecticut to Albany to Duquesne to Robert Morris. Will it be Wagner or Monmouth next week? Are you sure that St. Francis won't be "in the mix". After all, they beat NEC foe Sacred Heart 41-0.

You claimed last week that Duquesne "won't be in the mix" for the AQ. :p I wouldn't be so positive about that if I were you.

Great entertainment thread. It's given me a few laughs. Thank you. xsmileyclapx

if you don't agree with what he's saying, there is nothing stopping you from coming up with your own poll.

IaaScribe
September 20th, 2010, 08:59 AM
Coastal Carolina? They're 0-3. Come on.

Dblue
September 20th, 2010, 09:27 AM

+1

ToTheLeft
September 20th, 2010, 10:38 AM

Ummm, no.

CCU hasn't won! How can they have the best combination of results!

This isn't to generate discussion, it's just poor logic.

G-W and LU both have FBS wins, LU has an FCS win. Both only have one FCS loss.

Their losses are to:

Towson
WCU
Robert Morris

Honestly, of the 3, RMU is most likely playoff team (as you stated), so why are LU out because of a loss to a playoff team, even if they're limited scholly? Especially when it was on the road, by 7 points.

Sorry man, usually you're decent with these things but that was just bad.

ToTheLeft
September 20th, 2010, 10:39 AM
Coastal Carolina? They're 0-3. Come on.

And with who they lost to... Towson and GSU? Seriously come on.

Poor showing in the Big South pick there.