PDA

View Full Version : SEMO over SIU

JSU85GRAD
September 18th, 2010, 09:09 PM
Does this give the OVC any credit? After looking at the top 25 scoreboard it appears that you better be ready to play every week because anybody can beat you.

SalukiJim
September 18th, 2010, 09:26 PM
Does this give the OVC any credit? After looking at the top 25 scoreboard it appears that you better be ready to play every week because anybody can beat you.

More like, SIU is way way WAY overrated this year. Maybe the OVC is up a little bit, but we played "matador" defense the last quarter and a half, blowing a 21-3 lead. but props to SEMO for not quitting when down that much on the road! xthumbsupx

JaxSinfonian
September 18th, 2010, 09:27 PM
Does this give the OVC any credit?

Only if you think that an unranked team beating the No. 5 squad in the land is worth anything. Credit the Redhawks for a hard-fought win.

Houndawg
September 18th, 2010, 09:28 PM
It gives the OVC credit, SEMO is going to surprise a few people this year. They won on both sides of the ball.

SIU is down from last year, and has been hammered by injuries, three all americans are injured, two sat out, and one played a few series.

Thoughts from the game:

Dieker is going to take the heat but receivers not getting open is an issue.

The o line has no seniors on the two deep chart.

An excellent secondary has been decimated.

If some key personnel don't heal very fast the playoffs aren't happening.

Looks like the MVC is up for grabs and nobody wants it.

JohnStOnge
September 18th, 2010, 09:34 PM
It depends a little on how both teams do this year but for now, yes, it is a big win for the OVC.

SO ILLmatic
September 18th, 2010, 09:36 PM
Right now it seems like a majority of the teams in the Valley are down.

As of the end of week three, I would pick Y'town to get the AQ.

Cocky
September 18th, 2010, 09:39 PM
No, on this board nothing will give a OVC team or the league credit. If you win the other team is just awful but we were voting them at the top of the polls because they are not in the OVC.

TTUEagles
September 18th, 2010, 09:43 PM
I cannot think of any publication that didn't have Southeast Missouri St picked last in the OVC this year. We all know those predictions don't mean much, but, would anybody here think that the predicted last place team of the OVC would beat ANY member of the MVC?
Now, I'm nervous about TTU's visit to the Cape next week...

TheBisonator
September 18th, 2010, 09:43 PM

Talking about relative to last year, I think NDSU is up. Our defense is much improved. But our offense didn't start to get going until the 2nd half of game number three. I'm not saying NDSU will win the conference, but I think this year so far, after the first 3 games, we've seen an overall improvement.

I think a 6-5 record for us is most likely this year.

SalukiJim
September 18th, 2010, 09:47 PM
No, on this board nothing will give a OVC team or the league credit. If you win the other team is just awful but we were voting them at the top of the polls because they are not in the OVC.

Not dissing your league at all - I meant to say that any thoughts that SIU is truly the #5 team in the land are wrong wrong wrong. Credit certainly goes to SEMO especially in the "heart" category - and being able to suck it up and come back from 18 down.
You have to admit, a bottom-ranked team beating a supposed conference leader is a good win for your league, but we are not anywhere near as good as advertised.

Now, if the OVC can get a win or two in November/December, maybe there will be more respect coming your way.

SalukiJim
September 18th, 2010, 09:47 PM
Talking about relative to last year, I think NDSU is up. Our defense is much improved. But our offense didn't start to get going until the 2nd half of game number three. I'm not saying NDSU will win the conference, but I think this year so far, after the first 3 games, we've seen an overall improvement.

I think a 6-5 record for us is most likely this year.

Right now I think 6-5 will be a stretch for SIU - ex-pecially if we can't stop the run or the pass!

SalukiJim
September 18th, 2010, 09:51 PM
I cannot think of any publication that didn't have Southeast Missouri St picked last in the OVC this year. We all know those predictions don't mean much, but, would anybody here think that the predicted last place team of the OVC would beat ANY member of the MVC?
Now, I'm nervous about TTU's visit to the Cape next week...

SEMO has this 6-6 or 6-7 dude at WR with a Hawaiian name. The few times they threw him the jump ball, he almost always got it. If they went to him 10 times a game he would probably score 3 TDs per. That, and a decent RB who pounds it up the middle. From what little I saw of TTU last year (was that the Eastern game the last one of the regular season?) you better be ready to play all 4 quarters - fitness seems to be a good strength of SEMO's. If you have a chance it's worth a drive to Cape to see a game. Easy parking, small stadium (maybe seats 5 to 8,000 and they don't sell out)... and hey, you can see Rush Limbaugh's home town (not kidding, his grandfather or uncle or somebody still has a pretty prominent law firm there. It's also where that nutjob in FL who wanted to burn the Koran went to college- but he didn't graduate from SEMO.xchinscratchx

TTUEagles
September 18th, 2010, 09:56 PM
SEMO has this 6-6 or 6-7 dude at WR with a Hawaiian name. The few times they threw him the jump ball, he almost always got it. If they went to him 10 times a game he would probably score 3 TDs per. That, and a decent RB who pounds it up the middle. From what little I saw of TTU last year (was that the Eastern game the last one of the regular season?) you better be ready to play all 4 quarters - fitness seems to be a good strength of SEMO's. If you have a chance it's worth a drive to Cape to see a game. Easy parking, small stadium (maybe seats 5 to 8,000 and they don't sell out)... and hey, you can see Rush Limbaugh's home town (not kidding, his grandfather or uncle or somebody still has a pretty prominent law firm there. It's also where that nutjob in FL who wanted to burn the Koran went to college- but he didn't graduate from SEMO.xchinscratchx

I played there and hated it...from that I mean the locker rooms and field condition...No offense to SEMO, that was also about 15 years ago, too. The thing TTU has going for it is depth - very deep especially along the DL and offensive skill positions - but, from "our" schedule thus far, I cannot tell how good "we'll" be...everythnig I've heard so far, is that this is the best TTU team in a very long time....Cape G is a nice town, though, but Houck isn't...

Western_101
September 18th, 2010, 10:03 PM
My fiance is a SEMO grad school alum. I am a WIU grad, we were celebrating the WIU win, when we got word that SEMO beat SIU we both though we mis-heard.

So SIU got throttled by a U of I team that nearly lost to Northern IL. SIU proceeds to get beat by the last place FCS OVC team.

I can't keep SIU at 5, maybe they drop to 7.

Western_101
September 18th, 2010, 10:15 PM
according to SEMO's web site their stadium accomidates 10,000......less than SIU averages year in and year out.

Congratualtion Salukis for you your brand new 15,000 seat stadium. WIU is gettin close to getting the pieces together for the WEST side. It is gonna be real good, pressbox/lux suite combo will extend from 10-10 two story high.

Western_101
September 18th, 2010, 10:15 PM
mods a little help?

SalukiJim
September 19th, 2010, 08:52 AM
My fiance is a SEMO grad school alum. I am a WIU grad, we were celebrating the WIU win, when we got word that SEMO beat SIU we both though we mis-heard.

So SIU got throttled by a U of I team that nearly lost to Northern IL. SIU proceeds to get beat by the last place FCS OVC team.

I can't keep SIU at 5, maybe they drop to 7.

If by "7" you mean "7th in the MVFC" I might agree with you. It's gonna be very long season!

Fighting Cock
September 19th, 2010, 09:08 AM
Hope your wrong JIM. When girlfriend is not happy, nobody is happy!!!!!!! And SHE AIN'T HAPPY TODAY.

Houndawg
September 19th, 2010, 09:10 AM
If by "7" you mean "7th in the MVFC" I might agree with you. It's gonna be very long season!

We're pretty much done for the playoffs now that our lack of team speed on both sides of the ball has been exposed.

I like Lennon and want him to be our coach, but I hope he isn't going to turn us into yet another big slow mid-western team that can't get out of it's own way. A dip in talent was to be expected with Kill's last class and Lennon's first one, but with the exception of Strother we're hurting bad for speed.

And our DBs looked confused all night.

Redbird Ray
September 19th, 2010, 10:21 AM
I was at the SIU game last week in Champaign, and I have to admit, the score from last night did not totally shock me. An average at best UofI team had their way with SIU in almost every facet of the game last weekend. Props to SEMO for taking a big step up this year and for getting a tough win on the road, but SIU has problems this year.

The good news for SIU is that it's still early in the season. Even better news is that the MVFC does appear to be kind of down this year, although it does look like NDSU, YSU, and WIU are all stronger. Since I have been following Valley football (about 2002) I can't remember another season where going into conference play, the title race was so wide open.

Houndawg
September 19th, 2010, 10:32 AM
I was at the SIU game last week in Champaign, and I have to admit, the score from last night did not totally shock me. An average at best UofI team had their way with SIU in almost every facet of the game last weekend. Props to SEMO for taking a big step up this year and for getting a tough win on the road, but SIU has problems this year.

The good news for SIU is that it's still early in the season. Even better news is that the MVFC does appear to be kind of down this year, although it does look like NDSU, YSU, and WIU are all stronger. Since I have been following Valley football (about 2002) I can't remember another season where going into conference play, the title race was so wide open.

The MVC is definitely down this year and it is wide open. SIU has big problems notwithstanding all the injuries and I don't see them qualifying for the playoffs this year. I also think that so far the MVC will be lucky to get any at large berths. (Note that I was the only one to pick ISU winning the MVC this year).

SalukiJim
September 19th, 2010, 02:09 PM
We're pretty much done for the playoffs now that our lack of team speed on both sides of the ball has been exposed.

I like Lennon and want him to be our coach, but I hope he isn't going to turn us into yet another big slow mid-western team that can't get out of it's own way. A dip in talent was to be expected with Kill's last class and Lennon's first one, but with the exception of Strother we're hurting bad for speed.

And our DBs looked confused all night.

I think it's an over-reliance on speed, not the lack of it, that is our downfall. If you notice, whenever SEMO tried the "stretch" run or sideline patterns we normally covered that. It's when the smashmouth stuff up the middle came out that we started looking like the Denver Broncos and Buffalo Bills defenses of the late 80's and early 90's. All speed and no oomph!

SalukiJim
September 19th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Hope your wrong JIM. When girlfriend is not happy, nobody is happy!!!!!!! And SHE AIN'T HAPPY TODAY.

I agree, nobody happy today in Egypt. We have a lot of issues that have to be addressed in a big hurry!

nmatsen
September 19th, 2010, 02:12 PM

YSU hasn't beaten UNI since Clinton was in office. (might be a slight exageration, but dangerously close)

Houndawg
September 19th, 2010, 02:39 PM
I think it's an over-reliance on speed, not the lack of it, that is our downfall. If you notice, whenever SEMO tried the "stretch" run or sideline patterns we normally covered that. It's when the smashmouth stuff up the middle came out that we started looking like the Denver Broncos and Buffalo Bills defenses of the late 80's and early 90's. All speed and no oomph!

xeyebrowx What speed?

JohnStOnge
September 19th, 2010, 07:13 PM

I don't think that's true. The OVC has the reputation it does because it hasn't done well in I-AA/FCS play for a long time previous to this year and especially in the playoffs. My school's conference, the Southland, suffers from the same problem only not to quite the extent.

But, look, no OVC team has won a playoff game since 2000 and that was Western Kentucky. Without spending a lot of time to make sure I think, off the top of my head, that the last time a program currently IN the OVC won a playoff game was when Murray State beat Western Illinois in 1996.

The perception is based on what happens on the field. So far this year I think some things have happened on the field to suggest the OVC may be up. But given what's happened in the recent past in terms of I-AA/FCS interconfernece games and especially the playoffs I don't see how you can fail to see why fans who follow FCS closely percieve the OVC to be a relatively weak FCS conference. It's not like there's no basis for it.

Keenan
September 19th, 2010, 07:35 PM
This would have been the most shocking loss of the week if it weren't for my Liberty Flames dropping a Va. Tech to Robert Morris this past weekend...

Cocky
September 19th, 2010, 09:02 PM
I don't think that's true. The OVC has the reputation it does because it hasn't done well in I-AA/FCS play for a long time previous to this year and especially in the playoffs. My school's conference, the Southland, suffers from the same problem only not to quite the extent.

But, look, no OVC team has won a playoff game since 2000 and that was Western Kentucky. Without spending a lot of time to make sure I think, off the top of my head, that the last time a program currently IN the OVC won a playoff game was when Murray State beat Western Illinois in 1996.

The perception is based on what happens on the field. So far this year I think some things have happened on the field to suggest the OVC may be up. But given what's happened in the recent past in terms of I-AA/FCS interconfernece games and especially the playoffs I don't see how you can fail to see why fans who follow FCS closely percieve the OVC to be a relatively weak FCS conference. It's not like there's no basis for it.
If we win in the playoffs it won't matter, it will be like the Patriot League's rep after Colgate's run. The PL still doesn't get much respect. If an OVC team win in the playoffs it will be because the team wasn't good or the playoffs were expanded.

Redhawk2010
September 19th, 2010, 09:42 PM
If we win in the playoffs it won't matter, it will be like the Patriot League's rep after Colgate's run. The PL still doesn't get much respect. If an OVC team win in the playoffs it will be because the team wasn't good or the playoffs were expanded.

This is true. Just look at this game for a perfect example. The Redhawks got the job done and get a W. All the SIU fans are moaning about how they did this wrong and that wrong. And how SEMO didn't win the game really, but SIU gave it away. Not only here, but on their message board. Give the team some credit! The Redhawks got the job done last night!

MSUDuo
September 19th, 2010, 09:53 PM
The MVC will get 2 or 3 teams in the playoffs. It just may not be the 2 or 3 we have been used to over the last 5 years...

Daved
September 19th, 2010, 10:10 PM
YSU hasn't beaten UNI since Clinton was in office. (might be a slight exageration, but dangerously close)Seems even longer than that to me--however there is a new Wolf in town and there are two things I am certain will happen. 1)The sun will come up tomorrow. 2)Wolf will turn YSU's program around--he's not a magician but in the coming years the automatic W that UNI gets every year will disappear!

Houndawg
September 20th, 2010, 05:38 AM
This is true. Just look at this game for a perfect example. The Redhawks got the job done and get a W. All the SIU fans are moaning about how they did this wrong and that wrong. And how SEMO didn't win the game really, but SIU gave it away. Not only here, but on their message board. Give the team some credit! The Redhawks got the job done last night!

Nonsense, plenty of people gave you credit for your play, including Dale Lennon. You can look up my post where I said it was going to be a closer game than everyone thinks and has upset potential. Nor have I seen one post yet saying anything at all about the huge OPI non-call, and you know exactly what I'm talking about if you saw the game. Hell, Red, your team gets 3 All-Americans hurt and you won't be the same team either.

Saluki fans are all for making games with Murray and SEMO an every year happening.xnodx

SalukiJim
September 20th, 2010, 05:56 AM
Nonsense, plenty of people gave you credit for your play, including Dale Lennon. You can look up my post where I said it was going to be a closer game than everyone thinks and has upset potential. Nor have I seen one post yet saying anything at all about the huge OPI non-call, and you know exactly what I'm talking about if you saw the game. Hell, Red, your team gets 3 All-Americans hurt and you won't be the same team either.

Saluki fans are all for making games with Murray and SEMO an every year happening.xnodx

Agreed - we need to build up these local/regional rivalries. I'd say Murray, SEMO, even UT-Martin would be good road trips! And no question, SEMO was/is the better team right now.

Redhawk2010
September 20th, 2010, 08:50 AM

Just having 3 All-Americans would be a good start! ;) I'm disappointed I missed this game. I had gone home for the weekend to work otherwise I would have gone to the game. I think this year is going to be a good one for SEMO and it's badly needed. It will be interesting to see if this just might save a few jobs. Samuels' contract is up at the end of the season. These local rivalries are a lot of fun. I know at least two people in the athletic department over at SIU; they went there from SEMO.

JohnStOnge
September 20th, 2010, 08:18 PM

Well you have to sustain some. I mean, if a league wins in the playoffs a lot it's going to get respect. The A-10 (now CAA) used to lack respect but now it's viewed as the toughest league because of what it's done on the field and especially during the playoffs.

Right now some things have happened to suggest that the OVC is stronger than it's been. Jacksonville State beat Ole Miss and Southeast Missouri beat Southern Illinois. So on and so forth. But we have to wait and see what happens. Beating an SEC team is outstanding but doesn't necessarily mean you're at the top of FCS. Maine beat Mississippi State in 2004 but finished 5-6 playing in the rugged A-10.

It takes time. If and when the OVC establishes that it is anything other than a whipping boy in the FCS playoffs it will get respect. It's hard to argue that you deserve respect when you keep getting beaten and usually blown out at playoff time. Believe me, I know. I'm a McNeese fan.

Houndawg
September 21st, 2010, 06:06 AM
Just having 3 All-Americans would be a good start! ;) I'm disappointed I missed this game. I had gone home for the weekend to work otherwise I would have gone to the game. I think this year is going to be a good one for SEMO and it's badly needed. It will be interesting to see if this just might save a few jobs. Samuels' contract is up at the end of the season. These local rivalries are a lot of fun. I know at least two people in the athletic department over at SIU; they went there from SEMO.

I don't know anybody in the athletic department and I've lived here 27 years.

SalukiJim
September 21st, 2010, 08:06 AM

Maybe if you get out of Makanda once in a while? xlolx I kid!

Redhawk2010
September 21st, 2010, 09:51 AM

I tried getting them to wear SEMO stuff after the game, but to no avail ;)

SalukiJim
September 21st, 2010, 10:49 AM
I tried getting them to wear SEMO stuff after the game, but to no avail ;)

Something tells me they may not have been in the mood for getting teased!

skinny_uncle
September 21st, 2010, 11:36 AM
The Dawgs were overrated coming into this season considering they graduated 14 starters. I'm not sure what people were thinking. The Redhawks came into the game pumped up after their win over Murray State the previous week. Injuries to some key people have complicated things for the Salukis. The only shot the Dawgs have at making the playoffs again is to win the conference. Tough times in Carbondale.

SalukiJim
September 21st, 2010, 02:54 PM
The Dawgs were overrated coming into this season considering they graduated 14 starters. I'm not sure what people were thinking. The Redhawks came into the game pumped up after their win over Murray State the previous week. Injuries to some key people have complicated things for the Salukis. The only shot the Dawgs have at making the playoffs again is to win the conference. Tough times in Carbondale.

Well said. They gotta get a lot better in a hurry - like in 3 days!

BearsCountry
September 21st, 2010, 04:04 PM
Even better news is that the MVFC does appear to be kind of down this year, although it does look like NDSU, YSU, and WIU are all stronger. Since I have been following Valley football (about 2002) I can't remember another season where going into conference play, the title race was so wide open.

The MVC championship game is this Saturday in Normal.

doinit salukistyle
September 22nd, 2010, 06:26 PM
The MVC championship game is this Saturday in Normal.

Who's illinois State playing in volleyball? :) I keed I keed.

Houndawg
September 23rd, 2010, 07:05 AM
Maybe if you get out of Makanda once in a while? xlolx I kid!

xeyebrowx I am out of Makanda, hell, I go toward Makanda to hunt.

SalukiJim
September 23rd, 2010, 11:16 AM
xeyebrowx I am out of Makanda, hell, I go toward Makanda to hunt.

Just kidding! I know the "locals" in Makanda aren't exactly big football types...

Houndawg
September 23rd, 2010, 03:48 PM
Just kidding! I know the "locals" in Makanda aren't exactly big football types...

I don't live in the metro area.