PDA

View Full Version : Lamar Beats Southeastern Louisana 29-28.

gtj007
September 18th, 2010, 08:59 PM
Lamar was down 28-8 and came back and won 29-28 in Hammond, LA.

TexasTerror
September 18th, 2010, 09:22 PM
Impressive win by the Cards.

With or without Beatty, Lamar still went into Hammond and defeated a Lions' team that will be favored (if not in the top two) when Beatty returns from injury. That is a good win - regardless of Beatty's status. You still got Yarbourough, Connors and a host of other solid players that will get All-SLC accolades at year's end.

While I think Ray Woodard's strategy of loading up on JUCOs at a rate not seen and lacks long-term thinking, his recruiting methods have paid immediate dividends for the program based on the near victory over McNeese and the comeback against SLU. I am not certain this is a team that can win week to week at this point in their growth with consistent play (see the game against Webber Int'l where the team did not play well at all), but they have made quick steps.

Bevil. Hayes. One of the top QB/WR combos in the FCS next year when Lamar is competing for SLC title, NCAA auto bid? You betcha! I hope Woodard did a great job scheduling for '11. The Cards need to start thinking about the playoffs - hit the Jim More You Tube video! ;)

triplela
September 18th, 2010, 11:44 PM
Beatty or no Beatty, the problem with the Lions is the defense. Lamar passed at will on the Lions. UT-Martin did as well. Both games the Lions gave up 400+ yards passing. Lamar converted a 3rd and 26 from deep in their own territory and a 3rd and goal from the 20 on the game winning touchdown pass. The secondary for SLU is a MAJOR weakness. No defensive adjustments were made by SLU coaches, or if there were, they weren't successful. The slot receivers for Lamar were running free all night. On the game winning drive, SLU defensive backs were giving Lamar's receivers huge cushions. I haven't been this disappointed after a loss in a long time. Give Lamar all the credit in the world. They kept fighting. The coaches for Lamar made 2nd half adjustments and won the game. It looked from the stands like the Lions got up 28-8 and called it a night. I'll be back to cheer on the Lions at their next home game, but my hopes for this season being a breakout year are pretty much dashed. I know that the conference games are all still to be played but the defensive play that I've seen from the Lions the last two weeks does not exactly encourage me.

msusig
September 19th, 2010, 12:12 AM
Your hopes for the season shouldn't be dashed.

TexasTerror
September 19th, 2010, 07:50 AM
Your hopes for the season shouldn't be dashed.

Correct...

At the start of the season, we knew the only way SLU would get into the playoffs based on their two FBS games and Lamar (which I do not believe counts this year - can't recall), is by winning the SLC's automatic bid. The Lions should be in the mix with the Lumberjacks...