PDA

View Full Version : I-AA recruiting

ChickenMan
January 29th, 2006, 08:12 AM
Just checking 'Rivals' relative to the early verbals for some of the top I-AA programs and although the Rivals * rankings may not be all that reliable as an indicator of future performance... the results are still intersting. Verbals listed by Rivals so far...

ASU... one **
Colgate... two **
Delaware... one *** four **
EWU... one **
EKU... two **
Furman... three **
GSU... none
Hampton... one **
Idaho St... five **
Ill St... five **
JMU... three **
W.II... two **
NW St... two **
UMass... one **
SIU... one *** three **
Texas St... five **
WKU... one **
Montana... none
Montana St... one **
UNI... none
UNH... one **
Richmond... none
McNeese... one **
W&M... none

I'm sure schools have some verbals from kids that are not on this current Rivals list... as UD actually has verbals from additional ** rated recruits that are not listed and I'm sure other schools do as well.

http://rivals100.rivals.com/commitlist.asp

Tribe4SF
January 29th, 2006, 08:32 AM
Rivals is behind the eight ball on commits. When it comes to I-AAs, they can't even keep up with the players in their limited data base. The Tribe has at least four commits from players in the Rivals data base. On the W&M page, they only show two of them, and only one as commited. This, despite the fact there are articles on the players pages citing the commitments.

Tribe has 11 known commits, and Delaware has better than 15. Rivals is useless at this time of year.

MACHIAVELLI
January 29th, 2006, 09:03 AM
Just checking 'Rivals' relative to the early verbals for some of the top I-AA programs and although the Rivals * rankings may not be all that reliable as an indicator of future performance... the results are still intersting. Verbals listed by Rivals so far...

ASU... one **
Colgate... two **
EWU... one **
EKU... two **
Furman... three **
GSU... 19
Hampton... one **
Idaho St... five **
Ill St... five **
JMU... three **
W.II... two **
NW St... two **
UMass... one **
SIU... one *** three **
Texas St... five **
WKU... one **
Montana... none
Montana St... one **
UNI... none
UNH... one **
Richmond... none
McNeese... one **
W&M... none

I'm sure schools have some verbals from kids that are not on this current Rivals list... as UD actually has verbals from additional ** rated recruits that are not listed and I'm sure other schools do as well.

FlyBoy8
January 29th, 2006, 09:08 AM
19 what? :eyebrow:

TexasTerror
January 29th, 2006, 09:13 AM

Grambling has 19 verbals, if I am not mistaken...though no clue how many *'s they are...

Last year they had over 20 verbals too. Oddly enough, not many of those guys make the team or go to Grambling. No way they have 20+ scholarships to give each year...

ChickenMan
January 29th, 2006, 09:32 AM

On the AGS board GSU is.... Georgia Southern... ;)

MACHIAVELLI
January 29th, 2006, 09:53 AM
On the AGS board GSU is.... Georgia Southern... ;)

In the real world GSU is Grambling State University.

TexasTerror
January 29th, 2006, 09:57 AM

No offense, but does Grambling recruiting matter?

How many of those players actually end up wearing the black and gold? You guys signing class always seems to be larger than life and in the media it says, Grambling State leads the state of Louisiana in verbals. Of course they do! They're making offers to people who don't qualify elsewhere and in all honesty, will never see a snap at Grambling unless they qualify eventually and/or improve their grades.

I admire giving folks a chance, but Grambling recruiting is the most leading thing out there...

ChickenMan
January 29th, 2006, 10:08 AM

like I said... on the AGS board and to the I-AA football community... GSU is Georgia Southern.

MACHIAVELLI
January 29th, 2006, 10:20 AM
No offense, but does Grambling recruiting matter?

How many of those players actually end up wearing the black and gold? You guys signing class always seems to be larger than life and in the media it says, Grambling State leads the state of Louisiana in verbals. Of course they do! They're making offers to people who don't qualify elsewhere and in all honesty, will never see a snap at Grambling unless they qualify eventually and/or improve their grades.

I admire giving folks a chance, but Grambling recruiting is the most leading thing out there...

It matters to the student athletes....

On the other side: Grambling got some critical depth at defensive back with the commitment of Merico Martin, a tall burner from Carver High in Montgomery, Ala.

Martin, who is 6-3 and 193 pounds, made his decision after a weekend visit to the GSU campus. He said he also had interest from hometown conference rival Alabama State, as well as Alabama A&M, Sam Houston State and Albany State.

"I really liked Grambling; I had a great visit," said Martin, who said he runs the 40-yard dash in 4.4 seconds.

too easy :lmao:

FlyBoy8
January 29th, 2006, 12:10 PM
So basically GSU was the only program to offer him money? Ooooh. Aaaah.

golionsgo
January 29th, 2006, 12:54 PM

ASU... one **
Colgate... two **
EWU... one **
EKU... two **
Furman... three **
GSU... none
Hampton... one **
Idaho St... five **
Ill St... five **
JMU... three **
W.II... two **
NW St... two **
UMass... one **
SIU... one *** three **
Texas St... five **
WKU... one **
Montana... none
Montana St... one **
UNI... none
UNH... one **
Richmond... none
McNeese... one **
W&M... none

For the record, Southeastern Louisiana has four 2-star commitments that are public and a couple of more that will probably get 2-stars when Rivals updates their database, for whatever that's worth...not much really.

SochorField
January 29th, 2006, 02:37 PM
UC DAVIS:

**'s
Creadick WR
Trombetta RB
Denham QB

*'s
Vallier RB

Trombetta and Denham were ***'s at the time of their committment to UC Davis, but mysteriously dropped to **'s when they became I-AA's.

golionsgo
January 29th, 2006, 03:07 PM
UC DAVIS:

**'s
Creadick WR
Trombetta RB
Denham QB

*'s
Vallier RB

Trombetta and Denham were ***'s at the time of their committment to UC Davis, but mysteriously dropped to **'s when they became I-AA's.

We had the same thing happen with one of our commitments. They don't realize that some of these kids sign with I-AA schools for reasons other than their stock going down.

mikebigg
January 29th, 2006, 03:13 PM
The positive thing is that Grambling has so much name recognition...More than any other 1AA in the nation. That is why those who know and are not biased realize that GSU means Grambling State University.

One of the reason that we get so many recruits is that we get more national television exposure than any other team represented here on AGS, the student body and student-athletes enjoy a great rapport...they have a lot of things in common and can relate to each other in all aspects of life. But the biggest thing we can offer is an honest promise that we are willing to one day hire them as a head coach (we have the track record to prove it)...Not a lot of the rest can honestly say the same to ALL of the recruits.

Fordham
January 29th, 2006, 03:38 PM
<ahem, ChickenMan> Thanks for the oversight ( :nono: ;) ) ... but Fordham actually has 2 - 2 stars listed on Rivals. RB Larry Dortch from Chicago and Amen Igbinosun, a 300lb O-lineman from NJ who's visit to Rutgers was written up about on ScarletNation.com on 11/29/05.

For the rest of the PL:

Bucknell has 2 players listed, neither of which have stars although commentary on the Fordham board was that one of them will be playing hoops.

Colgate - I only see one 2 star player there. Who is the other you're referencing? I've heard of a number of good recruits they have but that's all seeing on Rivals.

G-town - 2 players, no stars.

Holy Cross - nothing listed.

Lafayette - 2 players, no stars.

Lehigh - 1 player, no stars

Kudos to our staff for getting what appear to be two nice recruits right out of the gate.

Does anyone know how Rivals gets info like this? Is it from the school or player?

Baldy
January 29th, 2006, 04:19 PM
The positive thing is that Grambling has so much name recognition...More than any other 1AA in the nation. That is why those who know and are not biased realize that GSU means Grambling State University.

Sorry, as far a name recognition is concerned, NOBODY in I-AA can hold a candle to Yale or Harvard. Not Grambling nor Georgia Southern. Just the facts. :nod:

In BCF circles, Grambling is GSU. To everyone else in I-AA the only GSU is Georgia Southern.

golionsgo
January 29th, 2006, 05:41 PM
Sorry, as far a name recognition is concerned, NOBODY in I-AA can hold a candle to Yale or Harvard. Not Grambling nor Georgia Southern. Just the facts. :nod:

In BCF circles, Grambling is GSU. To everyone else in I-AA the only GSU is Georgia Southern.

To be honest, the first thing I think of when I hear GSU is Grambling. Granted, I'm from Louisiana and that's to be expected but I would think that nationally, Grambling has far greater name recognition than Georgia Southern. Maybe not in I-AA specifically, but certainly overall.

youwouldno
January 29th, 2006, 06:15 PM
Wow, beating "interest" from Sam Houston. That's pretty impressive. What's next, beating out LSU? xlolx

MACHIAVELLI
January 29th, 2006, 07:02 PM
To be honest, the first thing I think of when I hear GSU is Grambling. Granted, I'm from Louisiana and that's to be expected but I would think that nationally, Grambling has far greater name recognition than Georgia Southern. Maybe not in I-AA specifically, but certainly overall.

Just the facts

TexasTerror
January 29th, 2006, 07:22 PM
Martin, who is 6-3 and 193 pounds, made his decision after a weekend visit to the GSU campus. He said he also had interest from hometown conference rival Alabama State, as well as Alabama A&M, Sam Houston State and Albany State.

When was the last time we had a kid out of Alabama at Sam? We probably sent him a letter, that's about it. No mention of a visit to Sam and I don't think we'd take such a huge risk ($$$-wise) on a kid that far away...

golionsgo
January 29th, 2006, 08:04 PM
When was the last time we had a kid out of Alabama at Sam? We probably sent him a letter, that's about it. No mention of a visit to Sam and I don't think we'd take such a huge risk ($$$-wise) on a kid that far away...

It's possible there is a connection between a coach or the player may have family in Texas. It's really not a big risk if that's the case.

TexasTerror
January 29th, 2006, 08:43 PM
It's possible there is a connection between a coach or the player may have family in Texas. It's really not a big risk if that's the case.

Point is that he didn't visit and we got loads of other DBs. He wasn't getting too many looks outside of the SWAC and we're all confused why Sam would give him any look at all. Probably just got a little interest, not a whole lot so he threw us in the mix...

golionsgo
January 29th, 2006, 09:15 PM
Point is that he didn't visit and we got loads of other DBs. He wasn't getting too many looks outside of the SWAC and we're all confused why Sam would give him any look at all. Probably just got a little interest, not a whole lot so he threw us in the mix...

You guys may very well have been interested because of his size as a DB and if there was a connection somewhere, I don't see a big deal in showing him interest. Kids sign with schools without visiting all the time. Not recommended but it happens. I tend to doubt an Alabama kid would pull Sam Houston State out of thin air as a school that recruited him.

colgate13
January 30th, 2006, 07:29 AM
The positive thing is that Grambling has so much name recognition...More than any other 1AA in the nation.

I would venture the ENTIRE Ivy League, some of the Patriot League, and some CAA schools alone could argue that claim, and in the case of the Ivies, there is no arguement.

Walk down any street in California, Illinois, Texas, New York, Florida, etc. and tell me that Joe Public will know the name Grambling before Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Dartmouth, Columbia, Brown, Penn, or Cornell. I think you're wrong.

I also think schools like Georgetown or Colgate from the PL or Wiliam & Mary from the CAA could give you a run for your money too.

lucchesicourt
January 30th, 2006, 10:56 AM
We in CA are well informed as to Grambling University and their marching band. I would venture that most Californians know Grambling over universities like Colgate, Fordham, Brown, William and Mary, SHSU, McNeese, etc. Grambling is very well known.

MACHIAVELLI
January 30th, 2006, 11:44 AM
We in CA are well informed as to Grambling University and their marching band. I would venture that most Californians know Grambling over universities like Colgate, Fordham, Brown, William and Mary, SHSU, McNeese, etc. Grambling is very well known.

Just the facts

bodoyle
January 30th, 2006, 11:53 AM
Sorry for the stupid post, as I assume everyone but me knows the answer to this. After Feb 1st or there-abouts, is there a ranking of 1-AA recruiting team-by-team like they do for the "big boys"? Who has the best class etc?

SoCon Din
January 30th, 2006, 11:54 AM
I wouldn't be too sure that Grambling is the GSU to everyone else. Certainly not me, but I'm in the SoCon, so I'm a little biased.

Just curious, how many games does Gramblin play on tv? I thought it was just the big Bayou Classic. That in itself might be enough, but other 1-AA games, particularly semi-s and finals are starting to get more tv coverage.

Seems like everyone I know saw the "miracle on the mountain" crap at App a few years back. :bang: That one was on Fox Sports. :bang:

colgate13
January 30th, 2006, 12:20 PM

No arguement there in bold.

But as for the other four, I think that's debateable, hence I said you could argue it. Colgate, Fordham, Brown, William and Mary, etc. are all very well known across the country and the world.

But there is no arguement that puts Grambling as more recognizable than Harvard, Yale or Princeton. Those three universities are THE MOST recognizable names IN ALL OF EDUCATION IN THE ENTIRE WORLD.

That's just the facts.

Tribe4SF
January 30th, 2006, 12:26 PM
Sorry for the stupid post, as I assume everyone but me knows the answer to this. After Feb 1st or there-abouts, is there a ranking of 1-AA recruiting team-by-team like they do for the "big boys"? Who has the best class etc?

Showingblitz.com did some ranking last year, but didn't get through all the positions. That's I-AARob, I believe, and he can tell us whether he'll be doing it this year.

blukeys
January 30th, 2006, 12:29 PM
I think Grambling's name recognition has dropped since the 70's. Grambling had all of those great Pros coming out of the Eddie Robinson program plus you had the very well advertised and attended games with Morgan State (who also has lost name recognition). I think in the East the younger generation is not that familiar with Grambling. This weekend I asked my nephew who attends Miami if he thought Grambling was a well known I-AA team. His response was "Who's Grambling?"

Outside those who follow HBCU football, Grambling is not capturing the attention of the younger generation IMHO.

soweagle
January 30th, 2006, 12:35 PM
I think Grambling's name recognition has dropped since the 70's. Grambling had all of those great Pros coming out of the Eddie Robinson program plus you had the very well advertised and attended games with Morgan State (who also has lost name recognition). I think in the East the younger generation is not that familiar with Grambling. This weekend I asked my nephew who attends Miami if he thought Grambling was a well known I-AA team. His response was "Who's Grambling?"

Outside those who follow HBCU football, Grambling is not capturing the attention of the younger generation IMHO.

Just the facts.

bodoyle
January 30th, 2006, 12:35 PM
Thanks Tribe.

walliver
January 30th, 2006, 02:52 PM
Grambling has significant name recognition. But to many of us it is recognized as "Grambling" not GSU. As a result, most posters on this board refer to Grambling as "Grambling" and Georgia Southern as "GSU".

In fact, most Georgia Southern grads I know refer to their alma mater as "Southern", but that's a whole other issue.

HensRock
January 30th, 2006, 03:00 PM
In fact, most Georgia Southern grads I know refer to their alma mater as "Southern", but that's a whole other issue.

Imaging the confusion the Bayou Classic must cause when GSU plays Southern! Whole other can of worms - sorry!

McNeese75
January 30th, 2006, 04:06 PM

And on the flip side, when I hear GSU I immediatley think Georgia Southern :nod:

Grambling has a proud history and does have plenty of name recogonition. Now most of that (imo) comes from Coach Robinson, teams from the past, NFL stars (mostly of the past) that went there and of course the Band.

"Grambling" does NOT denote a powerhouse football program in I-AA. : smh :

They always have great athletes but mediocre teams.

No slam, just the facts.

McNeeserocket
January 30th, 2006, 04:18 PM

ASU... one **
Colgate... two **
EWU... one **
EKU... two **
Furman... three **
GSU... none
Hampton... one **
Idaho St... five **
Ill St... five **
JMU... three **
W.II... two **
NW St... two **
UMass... one **
SIU... one *** three **
Texas St... five **
WKU... one **
Montana... none
Montana St... one **
UNI... none
UNH... one **
Richmond... none
McNeese... one **
W&M... none

As of Monday, Jan. 30, 2006 McNeese actually shows three Rivals **. They are Kirk Duhon, Dan Kreamer, and Bernardo Henry. We may have as many as 5 more come signing day.

Southeastern LA has five ** Rivals Players as of Jan. 30, 2006!

touchdown
January 30th, 2006, 04:51 PM
Dallas Mauga (2005 list) :)

Bobby Guillory
Matt Russell (2005 list)

Ronald Richardson
Allen Mohan
Adrian Cue

mikebigg
January 30th, 2006, 06:15 PM
And on the flip side, when I hear GSU I immediatley think Georgia Southern :nod:

Grambling has a proud history and does have plenty of name recogonition. Now most of that (imo) comes from Coach Robinson, teams from the past, NFL stars (mostly of the past) that went there and of course the Band.

"Grambling" does NOT denote a powerhouse football program in I-AA. : smh :

They always have great athletes but mediocre teams.

No slam, just the facts.

So you agree that we have good athletes? So that must mean our talent evaluation and recruiting must be pretty good. You have a right to your opinion, but what makes Grambling a mediocre team? The two years that you guys played Grambling, McNeese was the better team. But that doesn't mean Grambling was mediocre...it just means we got beat. Afterall, didn't those two McNeese teams win the the SLC? Grambling teams those years were good, but they weren't great. Grambling was really stong in 2001, but until this year none of the rest were actually dominant.

We won't know but this year's Grambling team could have won against any of the top teams in 1AA. Would we beat all of you? Of course not, let's be real. However, this team was far from mediocre and with the way our recruiting success is going (in state and out of state), the future looks good!

By the way, we just got another commitment today from an player who was All State and Honorable Mention All Metro for the 2 time State Championship Team from Homewood Alabama. We gonna be alright!

mainejeff
January 30th, 2006, 08:07 PM

ASU... one **
Colgate... two **
EWU... one **
EKU... two **
Furman... three **
GSU... none
Hampton... one **
Idaho St... five **
Ill St... five **
JMU... three **
W.II... two **
NW St... two **
UMass... one **
SIU... one *** three **
Texas St... five **
WKU... one **
Montana... none
Montana St... one **
UNI... none
UNH... one **
Richmond... none
McNeese... one **
W&M... none

Add a ** for Maine.

bigbluetiger
January 30th, 2006, 08:26 PM

One of the reason that we get so many recruits is that we get more national television exposure than any other team represented here on AGS, the student body and student-athletes enjoy a great rapport...they have a lot of things in common and can relate to each other in all aspects of life. But the biggest thing we can offer is an honest promise that we are willing to one day hire them as a head coach (we have the track record to prove it)...Not a lot of the rest can honestly say the same to ALL of the recruits.

:hurray: No one wants to address your last comment.

SochorField
January 30th, 2006, 08:39 PM
UC DAVIS:

***'s
McConnell LB

**'s
Creadick WR
Trombetta RB
Denham QB

*'s
Vallier RB

X-Factor
January 30th, 2006, 08:47 PM

Alabama being a long ways from Sam.... xlolx

You guys are lucky to have tons of talent right in your backyard. Now if you could only effectively recruit it all.

NDSU does a fair share of recruiting in the Houston area, and Mississippi too.

colgate13
January 30th, 2006, 09:54 PM
:hurray: No one wants to address your last comment.

Not sure I even understand it to address it... What's the point trying to be made? That a recruit is sold to go to a school because they might one day be head coach there? ;)

bustya
January 30th, 2006, 10:01 PM
:hurray: No one wants to address your last comment.That's because Doug Williams is the only one. I'm dying to see this "track record" of head coaches.

mikebigg
January 30th, 2006, 10:27 PM
That's because Doug Williams is the only one. I'm dying to see this "track record" of head coaches.

Okay that's one (former African American player) that we hired as head coach...Mississippi Valley also has one of it's former players (Willie Totten)...Alcorn State has former player James Thomas...Jackson State was once coached by Jim "Big Daddy" Carson and Robert Hughes, two former JSU players, Arkansas Pine Bluff previous head coach was alum Lee Hardiman, and several others have hired former African American players as their head coach.

Now can you tell me how many of your former African American players are (or have been) head coach or coordinator? If these players are good enough to play at your school, why aren't they hired as coordinators or head coaches? Surely after all this time, someone is capable of being a coach or coordinator. It's beginning to happen at the HBCU's... SU's past two OC's have been Caucasian and Richardson's first two DC's were Asian and Caucasian respectively. Grambling's Special Team Coordinator is Caucasian... Alabama A&M once had a Caucasian DC. Hampton's immediate past Offensive Coordinator was a Caucasian...he's just been hired at TnState.

Clearly, there is more diversity and opportunity for "minority" coaches at HBCU's than at our 1AA counterparts. I won't even mention that these coaches are hired on merit and not merely to be "recruiters" of minority athletes... Now please answer the question: Has your school ever hired a minority coach as a coordinator or head coach? Yes or No will do!

bustya
January 30th, 2006, 10:53 PM
Okay that's one (former African American player) that we hired as head coach...Mississippi Valley also has one of it's former players (Willie Totten)...Alcorn State has former player James Thomas...Jackson State was once coached by Jim "Big Daddy" Carson and Robert Hughes, two former JSU players, Arkansas Pine Bluff previous head coach was alum Lee Hardiman, and several others have hired former African American players as their head coach.

Now can you tell me how many of your former African American players are (or have been) head coach or coordinator? If these players are good enough to play at your school, why aren't they hired as coordinators or head coaches? Surely after all this time, someone is capable of being a coach or coordinator. It's beginning to happen at the HBCU's... SU's past two OC's have been Caucasian and Richardson's first two DC's were Asian and Caucasian respectively. Grambling's Special Team Coordinator is Caucasian... Alabama A&M once had a Caucasian DC. Hampton's immediate past Offensive Coordinator was a Caucasian...he's just been hired at TnState.

Clearly, there is more diversity and opportunity for "minority" coaches at HBCU's than at our 1AA counterparts. I won't even mention that these coaches are hired on merit and not merely to be "recruiters" of minority athletes... Now please answer the question: Has your school ever hired a minority coach as a coordinator or head coach? Yes or No will do!Yes, we did just last month in case you forgot.

You were talking about Gram and you only have one former player as a head coach in the past. What's up with that? :asswhip: You mentioned two of ours in your reply. :lmao:

slostang
January 30th, 2006, 11:16 PM
UC DAVIS:

***'s
McConnell LB

**'s
Creadick WR
Trombetta RB
Denham QB

*'s
Vallier RB

Davis is having a huge recruiting year. It is hard to get any info on Cal Poly's recruiting, but they did well the last two years. Hopefully they will have another good year. I can not wait until Wednesday.

SUjagTILLiDIE
January 30th, 2006, 11:50 PM

Clearly, there is more diversity and opportunity for "minority" coaches at HBCU's than at our 1AA counterparts. I won't even mention that these coaches are hired on merit and not merely to be "recruiters" of minority athletes... Now please answer the question: Has your school ever hired a minority coach as a coordinator or head coach? Yes or No will do!
:nod: :nod:

Baldy
January 31st, 2006, 01:16 AM
Just the facts
In Louisiana.

and I can get 8,000,000 from GA to say the same thing about Georgia Southern.

Baldy
January 31st, 2006, 01:17 AM
I wouldn't be too sure that Grambling is the GSU to everyone else. Certainly not me, but I'm in the SoCon, so I'm a little biased.

Just curious, how many games does Gramblin play on tv? I thought it was just the big Bayou Classic. That in itself might be enough, but other 1-AA games, particularly semi-s and finals are starting to get more tv coverage.

Seems like everyone I know saw the "miracle on the mountain" crap at App a few years back. :bang: That one was on Fox Sports. :bang:
Just the facts.

Baldy
January 31st, 2006, 01:18 AM
No arguement there in bold.

But as for the other four, I think that's debateable, hence I said you could argue it. Colgate, Fordham, Brown, William and Mary, etc. are all very well known across the country and the world.

But there is no arguement that puts Grambling as more recognizable than Harvard, Yale or Princeton. Those three universities are THE MOST recognizable names IN ALL OF EDUCATION IN THE ENTIRE WORLD.

Just the facts.

colgate13
January 31st, 2006, 09:36 AM

Sorry, I'm not good with simple yes or no answers! xlolx

But I do now get your point. My reply would be in my own institutions defense that we currently have two former players under Biddle that are now coaches, one of them is African-American. We also just had an OC that was a Colgate grad leave.

Why no head coaches or coordinators? Well, I'd say there are two reasons.

1 - we've had a very stable staff at Colgate for most of our history. Not much opportunity to try out new faces.

2 - A large part of our history includes a low percentage of non-whites in our population - including our football team. The times 'they are a changing', but it does take some time. And if the opportunity was there in the future I can see no problems in hiring our current African-American alum to a higher position on staff.

Mr. C
January 31st, 2006, 11:58 AM
like I said... on the AGS board and to the I-AA football community... GSU is Georgia Southern.
Not indended as smack, but Georgia Southern has six national I-AA championships and has been the flagship program of I-AA. Grambling has never even won a playoff game. In the I-AA world, as the esteemable ChickenMan wrote, GSU is Georgia Southern.

SoCon Din
January 31st, 2006, 12:17 PM
Furman? Not a minority head coach. Minority coordinator, I believe. Almost positive, but don't have a name. Little help FU fans.

Coastal89
January 31st, 2006, 12:31 PM

http://goccusports.com/chantspics/walker-curtis.jpg Curtis Walker
Fourth Year at Coastal Carolina
Catawba, '92
Assistant Football Coach
http://goccusports.com/chantspics/rivens-antoine.jpg Antoine Rivens
Third Year at Coastal Carolina
South Carolina, '92
Assistant Head Football Coach
http://goccusports.com/chantspics/james-keith.jpg Keith James
Winston-Salem State, '89
Assistant Football Coach
http://goccusports.com/chantspics/boyd-viktor.jpg Viktor Boyd
Catawba, '00
Football Strength, Speed & Conditioning Coach

If HC David Bennett were to leave CCU,I would want Antoine Rivens as our next head coach. Not only does he have ties to South Carolina but he has huge name recognition as a former member of the USC Gamecocks.

SUjagTILLiDIE
January 31st, 2006, 01:11 PM
http://goccusports.com/chantspics/walker-curtis.jpg Curtis Walker
Catawba, '92
Assistant Football Coach
http://goccusports.com/chantspics/rivens-antoine.jpg Antoine Rivens
Third Year at Coastal Carolina
South Carolina, '92
Assistant Head Football Coach
http://goccusports.com/chantspics/james-keith.jpg Keith James
Winston-Salem State, '89
Assistant Football Coach
http://goccusports.com/chantspics/boyd-viktor.jpg Viktor Boyd
Catawba, '00
Football Strength, Speed & Conditioning Coach

If HC David Bennett were to leave CCU,I would want Antoine Rivens as our next head coach. Not only does he have ties to South Carolina but he has huge name recognition as a former member of the USC Gamecocks.
Those couple out of how many schools. :nonono2: Name 1 head coach. :nonono2:

Coastal89
January 31st, 2006, 01:20 PM
Mikebigg asked the question,"Has your school ever hired a minority coach as a coordinator or head coach?". I gave an answer.

Curtis Walker-CCU defensive coordinator
Antoine Rivens-CCU Asst. HC

colgate13
January 31st, 2006, 02:01 PM

Like it is just so easy to make it happen! :nonono2:

fuEMO
January 31st, 2006, 03:24 PM
Furman? Not a minority head coach. Minority coordinator, I believe. Almost positive, but don't have a name. Little help FU fans.

No minority coordinator at Furman but 2 very good assistant coaches. Julius Dixon, DE and DL. Des Kitchens, WR played in the NFL, calls in the offensive plays. I hear he's a rising star.

mikebigg
January 31st, 2006, 04:21 PM
Yes, we did just last month in case you forgot.

You were talking about Gram and you only have one former player as a head coach in the past. What's up with that? :asswhip: You mentioned two of ours in your reply. :lmao:

Grambling has only had 3 football coaches (in the modern era) Eddie Robinson for 50 plus years, Doug Williams (an alum) for 97-2003, and now Melvin Spears (Alcorn grad) who had been offensive coordinator at Grambling prior to beating out Grambling alum, Lee Fobbs for the job.

mikebigg
January 31st, 2006, 04:31 PM
Mikebigg asked the question,"Has your school ever hired a minority coach as a coordinator or head coach?". I gave an answer.

Curtis Walker-CCU defensive coordinator
Antoine Rivens-CCU Asst. HC

Yes you did and your school is to be commended for not being hypocrits who recruit African Americans to play but not to be Head coaches or coordinators.

I didn't want this to turn into a Race debate, but the honest truth is that the hiring practices of most schools in America discriminate when hiring coaches, but actively recruit the minority athlete. Then they have the gall to accuse the SWAC of being separatist and/or having inferior coaching. The only thing that is inferior is the opportunity given to these guys to practice their craft.

For the record though, Grambling's Melvin Spears is highly respected in coaching circles. Several years ago as an assistant, he contributed an article to the AFCA convention concerning Grambling's spread offense... At the past convention, he was also a featured speaker.

He did a very good job at Grambling this year ...despite VOLUMES of criticism here and else where for "allowing Bruce to pad his stats". I expect a huge signing year this season (as always)!

blukeys
January 31st, 2006, 10:14 PM
I didn't want this to turn into a Race debate, but the honest truth is that the hiring practices of most schools in America discriminate when hiring coaches, Then they have the gall to accuse the SWAC of being separatist and/or having inferior coaching. The only thing that is inferior is the opportunity given to these guys to practice their craft.

And How many Head Coaches or Coordinators at Grambling are white?????

a yes or no answer is all that is needed.

SoCon Din
January 31st, 2006, 10:38 PM
Bigg, I think you have a point to a certain degree, but cross the line when you accuse every other school of being hypocritical because they recruit black athletes but not black coaches. So they stop recruiting black athletes to comply with your thesis, then a whole new can of worms is opened in the name of discrimination. You would think there would be more Black HC's, and I think you'll see more of it in the near future. To go on a witchhunt and accuse any school of rascism is downright ridiculous.

You could argue that Texas A&M had no right to recruit Dat Ngyen at LB because they didn't have any Oriental coaches. :rolleyes:

mikebigg
February 1st, 2006, 06:00 AM
And How many Head Coaches or Coordinators at Grambling are white?????

a yes or no answer is all that is needed.

Our recently hired defensive backs coach/Special Teams Coordinator is white. We have 1 white football player (though we have tried to recruit others), so our coach to player ratio is pretty good. Did you answer my initial question or did I overlooked your reply.

mikebigg
February 1st, 2006, 06:14 AM
Bigg, I think you have a point to a certain degree, but cross the line when you accuse every other school of being hypocritical because they recruit black athletes but not black coaches. So they stop recruiting black athletes to comply with your thesis, then a whole new can of worms is opened in the name of discrimination. You would think there would be more Black HC's, and I think you'll see more of it in the near future. To go on a witchhunt and accuse any school of rascism is downright ridiculous.

You could argue that Texas A&M had no right to recruit Dat Ngyen at LB because they didn't have any Oriental coaches. :rolleyes:

I didn't say every school... I merely asked "how many"? And no Texas A&M didn't and doesn't have to recruit Vietnamese coaches to sign Dat Nyugen...they didn't have to. Just like in most cases, they feel no need to have a Black Coach on staff except to help recruit.

Ken_Z
February 1st, 2006, 12:48 PM
For the rest of the PL:

Bucknell has 2 players listed, neither of which have stars although commentary on the Fordham board was that one of them will be playing hoops.

Stephen Tyree will definitely be playing hoops for Bucknell. he would be a major football signee. what would happen in the PL if a scholarship hoops player wanted to play football as well? ignoring the fact that the basketball coach would do their best to disallow, would it even be permitted in the PL? i am thinking that it is 'legal' since as i understand it Marquis scholarship recipients are permitted to do so at Lafayette.

colgate13
February 1st, 2006, 01:52 PM
Stephen Tyree will definitely be playing hoops for Bucknell. he would be a major football signee. what would happen in the PL if a scholarship hoops player wanted to play football as well? ignoring the fact that the basketball coach would do their best to disallow, would it even be permitted in the PL? i am thinking that it is 'legal' since as i understand it Marquis scholarship recipients are permitted to do so at Lafayette.

Not permitted in the PL. He would have to give up the basketball scholarship to play football.

Marquis scholarships are academic. There is no ban on academic merit in the PL. There is a ban on football scholarships though. If Tyree could play, there is nothing preventing a place like Colgate deciding to give lacrosse, basketball, track, etc. scholarships to kids who 'happen' to be great football players too. The PL doesn't allow this end-around.

I guess that means it's time for football scholarships! :)

Ken_Z
February 1st, 2006, 04:09 PM
Marquis scholarships are academic. There is no ban on academic merit in the PL. There is a ban on football scholarships though. If Tyree could play, there is nothing preventing a place like Colgate deciding to give lacrosse, basketball, track, etc. scholarships to kids who 'happen' to be great football players too. The PL doesn't allow this end-around.

I guess that means it's time for football scholarships! :)

other than integrity, what keeps Colgate from giving an academic scholarship based on writing say, an incredibly insightful essay on the merits of feeding dog food to cats, to a kid who 'happens' to be a great football player as well as a feline researcher?

The Gadfly
February 1st, 2006, 04:29 PM
Can we close this board PLEASE. I don't want anyone else to read threw all of this BS before realizing that this thread has nothing to do with recruiting anymore. :bang: waa waa

colgate13
February 1st, 2006, 06:31 PM
other than integrity, what keeps Colgate from giving an academic scholarship based on writing say, an incredibly insightful essay on the merits of feeding dog food to cats, to a kid who 'happens' to be a great football player as well as a feline researcher?

Besides integrity, the lack of academic scholarships would be one! Colgate doesn't give them. :smiley_wi

Lafayette would be the real school to float this question to. I think you in some way have to demonstrate to the PL that the scholarship winners are representative of the regular winners too. :read:

colgate13
February 2nd, 2006, 10:08 AM

JEEZ - how could I have forgotten this? In addition to recent minority hires, I think you need to remember someone by the name of Rick Comegy. He spent 7 years at Colgate and according to his own bio ' serving as the head baseball coach, defensive back coach and quarterback and receiver coach'.

Again, not an HC or coordinator, but that's because he was serving under legendary Fred Dunlap and was young! Obviously we treated him well though.

Laserlips
February 2nd, 2006, 11:35 AM
Man, I've gotten lost as to what this thread was all about in the first place..

Was the original thread:

Which GSU is best NOT known for FOOTBALL but for their band ?

or

Which GSU is best known for FOOTBALL & their 6 national 1AA football
championships?

or

1AA RECRUITING?

Um?

JP xidiotx

mikebigg
February 2nd, 2006, 06:58 PM
JEEZ - how could I have forgotten this? In addition to recent minority hires, I think you need to remember someone by the name of Rick Comegy. He spent 7 years at Colgate and according to his own bio ' serving as the head baseball coach, defensive back coach and quarterback and receiver coach'.

Again, not an HC or coordinator, but that's because he was serving under legendary Fred Dunlap and was young! Obviously we treated him well though.

Thanks for the info...that's good to hear. Hey, we are making progress...sometimes, I have to ask the question (even at the risk of some thinking I'm being racial). But you (Colgate) and Coastal has shown that their is some progress being made. But that's only two out of how many...perhaps others just decided not to post.

colgate13
February 2nd, 2006, 07:36 PM
Thanks for the info...that's good to hear. Hey, we are making progress...sometimes, I have to ask the question (even at the risk of some thinking I'm being racial). But you (Colgate) and Coastal has shown that their is some progress being made. But that's only two out of how many...perhaps others just decided not to post.

I hear you - and agree. :nod:

Fordham
February 2nd, 2006, 07:43 PM
Our Ass't HC and Defensive Coordinator from the mid 80's to mid 90's was Joe Gambardella (originally Rodriguez, I believe), who is entitled to check off the Hispanic box on his census forms. He also was in the mix for the current HC spot that went to Tom Massella (oy, those freaking Italians!).

Not to mention that both our hoops coaches are African-American ... although since they're both men, maybe the women have something to harp on there.