PDA

View Full Version : UMass Band Director Passes Away

SonuvaHenx2
September 17th, 2010, 07:51 AM
http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2010/09/george_n_parks_umass_band_dire.html

superman7515
September 17th, 2010, 08:06 AM
The students were told it was a heart attack. Sad to hear. I know that there was a strong connection between himself and Sarver here at UD.

Uncle Buck
September 17th, 2010, 08:47 AM
very sad, RIP

DrG
September 17th, 2010, 09:05 AM
Very shocking and sad. George passed up numerous opportunities to go to Big Ten type schools because he loved what he was doing at UMass. He was a walking advertisement for FCS football. It's just a shame that he didn't have the chance to see his kids march into the Big House tomorrow.

GannonFan
September 17th, 2010, 09:10 AM
Shame to hear that - great band guy. Always loved seeing the UMass band - easily the best in the CAA and perhaps all of FCS (Southern's is pretty good too).

henfan
September 17th, 2010, 09:35 AM
Wow. Very sad news for the UMass, the CAA & FCS. Condolensces to those that knew George.

EmeryZach
September 17th, 2010, 09:41 AM
I was completely shocked and blown away by this news when I heard it this morning.

In my opinion George Parks was the biggest supporter of UMass, the community, and our football team. His enthusiasm was addicting. He could get the crowds at McGuirk stadium riled up and loud better than anyone else.

This is a huge loss to UMass and the community that surrounds Amherst. George will always be remembered, and with the new band facility being named in his honor, his name will live on forever in Amherst.

I am glad to see that the band will still play at Michigan tomorrow, he would want it that way. Tomorrow will be a hard day for the band, but it will also be great.

Rest in Peace George, you will be remembered forever.

BlueHenSinfonian
September 17th, 2010, 09:59 AM
George Parks was a brilliant director and musician while also being one of the warmest most sincere men I've ever met. His dedication and contributions to UMass can't be overstated. His legacy includes inspiring countless past students of his to go into music education, and spreading his enthusiam through innumerable high school, and some college, marching bands.

I remember performing 'God Bless the USA' alongside the UMass band in the wake of the September 11th attacks in a joint show created by Professor Parks and Professor Sarver. It's one of my strongest and most cherished memories from my college experience, and there are likely hundreds of others who were on the field that day who feel the same.

My deepest condolences go out to the entire UMass community, as well as to anyone else who had the pleasure to have met or worked with Professor Parks.

UMass922
September 17th, 2010, 11:23 AM
I played trombone in the Minuteman Marching Band from '97 to 2000 under Parks. This news is beyond devastating, and the timing, with his band poised to perform on the grandest stage it ever has, could not have been more heartbreaking.

What a terrible, terrible loss for his family, for the UMass community, for the marching band world at large, and for everyone who ever had the privilege of meeting him, working under his guidance, and performing under his direction. He touched so, so many lives. So many people learned so much from him. He was an unforgettable part of my experience at UMass.

I cannot imagine what those kids in the band right now must be going through. I was so excited for the band (and, I admit, a bit envious) when I learned that they would be making the trip to Ann Arbor and getting the opportunity to perform at the Big House in front of 100,000+. I could never have imagined that that opportunity would have to come under such tragic circumstances.

RIP the heart and soul of the Power and Class.

OhioHen
September 17th, 2010, 11:28 AM
The loss of Mr. Parks is huge for UMass, but that loss pales in comparison to the reach it has in the music community at large. He has been an inspiration for many who have never met him but have been touched by the influence of his work.

JRCA
September 17th, 2010, 12:02 PM
Sad news indeed. My prayers to the UMASS band family and the enite community.

I am a HS Band Director in the Commonwealth of Virginia, and even way down here in the South we all knew and respected this fine, fine man. I see the the UMASS band will play tomorrow at Michigan. George Parks will have the best seat from heaven to see his kids do this performance. He would be proud the band plays on!

My band will have a moment of silence in his honor before our game tonight.

Bogus Megapardus
September 17th, 2010, 12:10 PM
My condolences to University of Massachusetts students and alumni. Without question the Minuteman Marching Band will perform brilliantly in Mr. Parks' honor and memory.

WestCoastAggie
September 17th, 2010, 12:17 PM
The Band Community lost a great one. Condolences to To his family and the UMASS band family.

UMass922
September 17th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Facebook memorial page:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UMass-Amherst-In-Memory-of-George-Parks/154042671284344?ref=mf

Col Hogan
September 17th, 2010, 12:45 PM

I am a HS Band Director in the Commonwealth of Virginia, and even way down here in the South we all knew and respected this fine, fine man. I see the the UMASS band will play tomorrow at Michigan. George Parks will have the best seat from heaven to see his kids do this performance. He would be proud the band plays on!

UMass thanks you for this tribute to a fine man...

I've had several conversations with Professor Parks over the years as the band traveled to various football games...

He was by far the most outstanding UMass supporter I have ever met...and you could see his love for the band and music when he was on the sidelines getting ready to direct a half-time show...

Professor Parks will be missed...and never replaced...

RIP

jsudrumguy
September 17th, 2010, 12:56 PM
George was a biog influence on many with his Drum Major Camps.

He also won the Distinguished Service to Music Medal Awarded by Kappa Kappa Psi National Honorary Band Fraternity Last year.

He will be missed in the band world

soccerguy315
September 17th, 2010, 01:05 PM
George Parks was an icon in the marching music world, well beyond the boundaries of UMass. Had the fortune of attending DMA at Westchester in 2003 and he was there the whole time. We lost a great one. His showmanship and enthusiasm is almost unparalleled.

soccerguy315
September 17th, 2010, 02:31 PM
UMass band, last night at a high school in Ohio

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1393920015641

EmeryZach
September 17th, 2010, 03:06 PM
I hope someone is able to post a video of the performance at Michigan tomorrow. I'm sure it will be quite emotional but also tremendously well done.

TheValleyRaider
September 17th, 2010, 03:37 PM
Met Dr. Parks in 2004 when we went out to UMass for a game. Could not have been nicer and more welcoming to a band, especially one totally student-run xnodx

Simply not enough people in the world like that :(

UMass922
September 17th, 2010, 04:10 PM
I hope someone is able to post a video of the performance at Michigan tomorrow. I'm sure it will be quite emotional but also tremendously well done.

I trust that it will be well documented, so there should be plenty of video. It is going to be a difficult and emotional performance for sure. My heart aches for those kids. But I know they will put on a great show for the 100,000+ in attendance--and, most of all, for George.

AppStsGr8
September 17th, 2010, 04:19 PM
Sad news, indeed. Here's to the UMass band playing like never before tomorrow ... and helping UMass bring home the win in the process!

yorkcountyUNHfan
September 17th, 2010, 04:56 PM
My "Power and Class" shirt is the only UMass gear I have ever worn....he will be missed.

Cadbury20J
September 17th, 2010, 05:53 PM
Our director told us today at practice. The JSU family wishes you guys the very best. Dr. Parks was indeed, one of a kind and will be greatly missed.

El Gato
September 17th, 2010, 07:40 PM

I too am a band director. Teach in Central Texas, and George Parks was just as respected this far south as well. In fact, when I was in high school, we use to send our drum majors to his drum major camp, hosted by Texas State University. The SASI organization now runs leadership camps there, but I know his were well respected and they were great leadership experiences for high school students.

UMass922
September 17th, 2010, 08:08 PM
Word is that the Michigan band is going to pay their respects by playing the UMass fight song in pre-game tomorrow.

blukeys
September 17th, 2010, 08:12 PM
I have never known nor met Dr. Parks. I have for years heard the Umass band. The skill and Musicianship of this group is testimony enough to Dr. Parks. Both the UD band and Umass band have performed after football games at the Tub. It is one of the rare instances where fans hang around to listen to the band after the game is over.

My condolences go out to the Umass community. You have lost a legend and a great one.

EmeryZach
September 18th, 2010, 08:13 AM
Hopefully the boys can keep this one close for George and let the band play the fight song a few times today.

EmeryZach
September 18th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Great job today by the Band. Michigan also was very nice and very respectful. They had a nice tribute on the jumbotron and the Big Ten Network did a nice talk up on George.

Great job by both UMass and Michigan.

UMass922
September 18th, 2010, 02:55 PM
I already posted this picture in the game thread, but it needs to be here, too:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs311.ash2/59091_707457537467_20600915_39624531_1684147_n.jpg

UMass922
September 19th, 2010, 10:01 PM
The band's postgame performance of "My Way." Very hard not to tear up watching this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=majWPiYcmWg

UMass922
September 19th, 2010, 10:09 PM
The moment of silence for Professor Parks, followed by the band's pre-game performance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7ckixP7Vi8

Halftime:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivJn3oJVKs0

UMass922
September 19th, 2010, 10:20 PM
And here's the segment on Parks and the band from the Big Ten Network broadcast, for those who missed it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiPm6pbC8Eo

BlueHenSinfonian
September 19th, 2010, 10:36 PM
Thanks for posting the videos UMass922. It's good to see that the Power and Class did Professor Parks proud in The Big House.

soccerguy315
September 19th, 2010, 11:28 PM
I believe this is the first performance after he passed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYwiEwqn2Ks

UMass922
September 19th, 2010, 11:50 PM
This was his final performance before passing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6PpOPpGUXw

soccerguy315
September 19th, 2010, 11:51 PM
George Parks in action... check out his tosses at 45 seconds, 1:12, 1:26, and 1:45. Showmanship unmatched.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KVcyp_1Mro

umassfan
September 20th, 2010, 07:24 AM
I must say I haven't posted about Mr. Parks yet because I just haven't had the right words to say. Watching those videos makes me sad to see such a young, full of life, and dedicated guy leave us so early. I have been attending UMass football games for 23 of my 28 years alive. Every year... every football game I have been to... it didn't matter if the team was good or bad, one thing was always consistent. UMass always had the best band and the best band director. Just last week I was home for my usual trip to Amherst and saw us play vs. Holy Cross. Never in my wildest ideas did I ever think that would be the last time I saw George Parks lead our squad. I have seen some pretty amazing performances led by that man. Two of my favorite would be last years Pirates of the Caribbean and a few years back when they did Phantom of the Opera. He always knew how to put on an amazing show. He was a truly amazing person as well. I have had the pleasure to speak to Mr. Parks on many occasions over the years. He always had a moment to say hello and always wanted to get to know you no matter how busy he was. God must have needed someone to direct his band in the sky because there would be no other reason to take such a quality guy away from us so early. When it was band day at UMass, Mr. Parks would always direct the band from the cement railing in front of my section. He wanted to be high enough for everyone to see. Now he can direct and watch over everyone from an even higher perch. I end this by saying my deepest sympathy goes out to all the band members (current and former), his family and friends, and everyone he has touched. UMass has lost a true legend that will forever be missed.

R.I.P. George N. Parks